International Werewolf Day

Ratman217

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
I like the idea myself. Just think, a day for us to howl.......hmm.....I
doubt we could get anyone to make it a holiday though.
******************
*
* Dale Lybarger *
*
* Ratm...@aol.com *
*
* *
******************

Twopaw

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
W> but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny
W> and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?

How about:

"The Universal Day For Therianthropic Appreciation."

Or am I being too specific?

SEEEEEEE ya!

-Twopaw Tarnsilv

-NYAR! <oops, wrong one!> <whuffle>

MegaDog

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96

In article <4ii0ge$6...@panther.apana.org.au>, Peter Sims (wolfie@aardvark) writes:

>I was thinking about howls and how they seem to happen at all times of the
>year, and that this wears down the celebration a bit...
>and that most of us can't actually get to them.
>
>So what if we had a day for ourselves, even to make us smile a little if
>we are alone,

>but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny
>and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?

In the same way as early christians usurped pagan festivals (winter solstice
= christmas etc), maybe we could use the same precedent and align World
Were-Consciousness Day with a christian festival?

Welsh celtic tradition has November/December known as "Wolf-moon", so i
guess this could be a good place to start. I'm not very well informed about
any Saints' days around that time of the year; perhaps we could adopt the
first full moon in November then?

!Raised Tails! -:MegaDog:-

Skyclad, dancing to the drums, Somthing Pagan this way comes..

Farthing Fox

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

In article <4ij0jv$l...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>
ratm...@aol.com (Ratman217) writes:

> I like the idea myself. Just think, a day for us to
> howl.......hmm.....I doubt we could get anyone to make it a holiday
> though.

A day in the year ? But don't we get about 12 days per year to do this
anyway? ;9

/^^\__________ Farthing W. Fox
\~~/ \ f...@vulpes.demon.co.uk & f...@crucigera.warwick.ac.uk
\/\____,( /\ | Vulpinification @ http://crucigera.warwick.ac.uk/foxes/
/ \ \/| \| Farthing@FurryMUCK (furry.org 8888)
| \ / | 'You came and went like a season never...'

Ray Stricklin

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
On 17 Mar 1996, Peter Sims wrote:

> but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny
> and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?

Don't know what we could call it, but I suggest August 31 for the day.

http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kjaeros
kjaeros [resist] | `The Savage nodded. "I ate civilization."'
raskolnikov:u.washington.edu | --Aldous Huxley

Poseidon

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
>In the same way as early christians usurped pagan festivals (winter solstice
>= christmas etc), maybe we could use the same precedent and align World
>Were-Consciousness Day with a christian festival?
>Welsh celtic tradition has November/December known as "Wolf-moon", so i
>guess this could be a good place to start. I'm not very well informed about
>any Saints' days around that time of the year; perhaps we could adopt the
>first full moon in November then?

Speaking of saints' days: November 1 and November 2 are respectively All
Saint's Day and All Souls' Day; very high-key events in the Christian
calendar, particularly in the Catholic Church. Thus the first full moon in
November, I think, would be ideal, rather than pinning it down to a
particular date, say, November 3. Look at Christian festivals like Good
Friday and Ascension - also not fixed to a particular date, but high key
events nevertheless.

Greetings
Poseidon

Vulture

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96

> I was thinking about howls and how they seem to happen at all times of the
> year, and that this wears down the celebration a bit...
> and that most of us can't actually get to them.
>
> So what if we had a day for ourselves, even to make us smile a little if
> we are alone,
>

> but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny
> and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?
>

> Wolfie!

Yes here's an idea...call it international nutters day. Most fitting.

----
Beware...

THE VULTURE IS HOVERING OVER YOU

CyberWolf

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
In article <4c4_960...@tor250.org>,

Two...@grotesque.gryn.org (Twopaw) wrote:
> W> but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny
> W> and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?
>
> How about:
>
> "The Universal Day For Therianthropic Appreciation."
>
> Or am I being too specific?

Hmmmm to long and even more corny than the other one. I mentioned the idea of
an "international werewolf day" on irc over a month ago.....

-CyberWolf (Aka Eric Bickle) in sunny
Surrey, bc, Canada

Ineke Roelofs

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
wolfie@aardvark (Peter Sims) wrote:

Hi Wolfie me lad

>I was thinking about howls and how they seem to happen at all times of the
>year, and that this wears down the celebration a bit...
>and that most of us can't actually get to them.

>So what if we had a day for ourselves, even to make us smile a little if
>we are alone,

I think this is an wonderful idea and I would propose the first full
moon in the sign of Cancer. Because: The moon Goddess governsWolves,
dogs and I'm certain all the other weres. She is a shape shifter par
excellence herself. Why Cancer? The moon is exalted in that sign.

>but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny

>and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?

Thinking about it. In Gealic it would be 'La Mactire'

Slan beannacht

--
Ineke

Ineke

Crystal Odenkirk

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
Peter Sims (wolfie@aardvark) wrote:
: I was thinking about howls and how they seem to happen at all times of the

: year, and that this wears down the celebration a bit...
: and that most of us can't actually get to them.
: So what if we had a day for ourselves, even to make us smile a little if
: we are alone,
: but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny

: and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?

How about the first full moon after the beginning of spring?
International Howling Day?
Howlaween? <wyldfire ducks the thrown glasses and rotten tomatoes... if
she's lucky...>

wyldfire
full of bad puns

NightEyes

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
wolfie@aardvark (Peter Sims) wrote:

>I was thinking about howls and how they seem to happen at all times of the
>year, and that this wears down the celebration a bit...
>and that most of us can't actually get to them.

>So what if we had a day for ourselves, even to make us smile a little if
>we are alone,

>but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny
>and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?

Cool idea, but using the term "Werewolf" in the title is too
exclusionary. What about is Werekitties, Werebears, Wereravens, etc?
How 'bout something like "Therianthrope Appreciation Day"? Has anyone
else suggested this?

Your ever-lovin' Werelynx friend,
Walks-Between-Worlds

(***) Some things must be believed to be seen. (***)

KatmanDu

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
vul...@iafrica.com (Vulture) wrote:
> but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny
>> and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?

>Yes here's an idea...call it international nutters day. Most fitting.

Oh please. That's it? That's hardly even worth a troll. Come back when
the ol' wit's working harder, please.

--
katm...@uga.cc.uga.edu * katm...@negia.net * ewi...@access.cosmic.uga.edu
Theriomorph at large * http://www.negia.net/~katmandu * Certified annoying git

Brokken

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
MegaDog writes:

> Welsh celtic tradition has November/December known as "Wolf-moon", so i
> guess this could be a good place to start. I'm not very well informed about
> any Saints' days around that time of the year; perhaps we could adopt the
> first full moon in November then?

Someone mentioned this before. I can't remember who said it, but credit goes to
whom it's due. Anyway, I'm all for this idea. First full moon in November sounds
good as it is not yet cold enough (for those living in cold climates) to prevent a
hardy celebration of pagan rituals, bonfires, howls, dances and drunken debauchery
(just kidding about that last one!) for those that can get together with other
Weres. I think the idea is great - and I like the fact that it's a `floating'
holiday governed by the moon.

Here's one paw of approval. ;)

-Brokken-

fe...@uwyo.edu

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
In article <4iproc$o...@scooby.beloit.edu>, oden...@stu.beloit.edu (Crystal Odenkirk) writes:

>Peter Sims (wolfie@aardvark) wrote:
>: I was thinking about howls and how they seem to happen at all times of the
>: year, and that this wears down the celebration a bit...
>: and that most of us can't actually get to them.
>: So what if we had a day for ourselves, even to make us smile a little if
>: we are alone,
>: but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny

>: and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?
>
>How about the first full moon after the beginning of spring?
>International Howling Day?
>Howlaween? <wyldfire ducks the thrown glasses and rotten tomatoes... if
>she's lucky...>
>
>wyldfire
>full of bad puns

Or how about National A-were-ness day....grin

Sydney Pickett

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
IWD is quite a mouthful... The Roman holy day of Lupercalia
(held February 15, I believe) always makes me smile, as its
linkage of wolves and fertility may be relevant for us in the
modern world. Fetility/abundance can be physically literal,
or can symbolize spiritual and/or creative blessings. Back in
Rome, the Lupercalia, with priests symbolically dressed as
wolves, was held to promote fertility and drive away evil
forces.

Perhaps we can recall that long-ago festival to honor the
sacredness of the wolf within ourselves.

Terra bless, bint-Upuaut, vale...@earthlink.com

Chris Cella

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
Vulture wrote:

> > I was thinking about howls and how they seem to happen at all times of the
> > year, and that this wears down the celebration a bit...
> > and that most of us can't actually get to them.
> >
> > So what if we had a day for ourselves, even to make us smile a little if
> > we are alone,
> >
> > but it needs a real name, International Werewolf Day sounds too corny
> > and a day needs to be chosen... anyone got any thoughts?
> >
> > Wolfie!

> Yes here's an idea...call it international nutters day. Most fitting.
>
> ----
> Beware...
>
> THE VULTURE IS HOVERING OVER YOU

-- Nutters?! I resemble that remark!
::look of extreme miffy indignation::::
Reanna
Ps, seriously though, why not just call it 'Day of the Were?'

James Harrion III

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
NightEyes (qua...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: wolfie@aardvark (Peter Sims) wrote:

: Cool idea, but using the term "Werewolf" in the title is too

: exclusionary. What about is Werekitties, Werebears, Wereravens, etc?
: How 'bout something like "Therianthrope Appreciation Day"? Has anyone
: else suggested this?

Still a little long IMVHO.

Shifter's Eve.

Advantages: general to all weres, and hold it on the first full moon of
November.

Winterdreamer ez04...@ucdavis.edu
AHWW pack member

Ineke Roelofs

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
s950...@medic.up.ac.za (Poseidon) wrote:

>>In the same way as early christians usurped pagan festivals (winter solstice
>>= christmas etc), maybe we could use the same precedent and align World
>>Were-Consciousness Day with a christian festival?

>>Welsh celtic tradition has November/December known as "Wolf-moon", so i
>>guess this could be a good place to start. I'm not very well informed about
>>any Saints' days around that time of the year; perhaps we could adopt the
>>first full moon in November then?

>Speaking of saints' days: November 1 and November 2 are respectively All

>Saint's Day and All Souls' Day; very high-key events in the Christian
>calendar, particularly in the Catholic Church. Thus the first full moon in
>November, I think, would be ideal, rather than pinning it down to a
>particular date, say, November 3. Look at Christian festivals like Good
>Friday and Ascension - also not fixed to a particular date, but high key
>events nevertheless.

>Greetings
>Poseidon

Please Poseidon, leave those dates alone. When the Thuat De Danann
(Who were benevolent Gods and Goddesses) lost the battle against the
Milesians (in Ireland long ago) they were granted to live under the
earth instead of becomoing slaves. So courageous had they fought. They
became the 'little people' or fairies. One condition was that they
were alowed above ground one day a year , at haloween. That's the
night of 1 to 2 November. Please leave the little people their date.
We love them here.
=======================================
Ineke in...@iol.ie

I don't know where I'm going, but I know how to get there
=======================================

Crystal Odenkirk

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
Ray Stricklin (kja...@u.washington.edu) wrote:

: Don't know what we could call it, but I suggest August 31 for the day.

why? What's aug 31?
something says I should know this...

Ray Stricklin

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96

[many good ideas rubbed]

I still like `Awereness day'. It's nice and vague. (:

Ray Stricklin

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96

Sorry, a bit of silliness took me. It's Harry Monster's (from
Sesame Street) Birthday.

<grin>

NightEyes

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
Ray Stricklin <kja...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>[many good ideas rubbed]

> I still like `Awereness day'. It's nice and vague. (:

I'm partial to this one too... It's not "speciesist", nor is it
screamingly obvious. And it just sounds neat. >;-)

~ Walks-Between-Worlds

Mark Straver

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
Hai kja...@u.washington.edu,

You wrote to All:

> why? What's aug 31?

kwe> Sorry, a bit of silliness took me. It's Harry Monster's
kwe> (from Sesame Street) Birthday.
And my sister's birthday too :)) !

Signed : # #
# ### ### #
### ### ### ###
### # # ###
# #
### ###
###########
###########
(Moonchild) ### ###

Poseidon

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96

>Ray Stricklin (kja...@u.washington.edu) wrote:

>: Don't know what we could call it, but I suggest August 31 for the day.

Perhaps we should elect somebody as Keeper of an International Werewolf Day
FAQ; we could post all our suggestions for names or dates to that address
and eventually a ballot list could be put up with a narrowed-down collection
of all the dates and names which we could vote on. Thus we could have a
truly democratic election . . . what better way of resolving this, than by
consensus?

Personally I think the day should occur in or around November. . .

Greetings all
Poseidon

Crystal Odenkirk

Mark Straver

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
Hai qua...@ix.netcom.com,

You wrote to All:

> I still like `Awereness day'. It's nice and vague. (:

qnc> I'm partial to this one too... It's not "speciesist", nor is
qnc> it screamingly obvious. And it just sounds neat. >;-)

I agree with this one too. Awerenessday is good.

Peter Sims

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
: Hmmmm to long and even more corny than the other one. I mentioned the idea of
: an "international werewolf day" on irc over a month ago.....
:
: -CyberWolf (Aka Eric Bickle) in sunny

That'll teach you not to forget to stick a copyright on everything you say
and do! :)

Wolfie!

CyberWolf

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
In article <4jng9d$j...@preeda.internex.net.au>,

were...@connexus.apana.org.au (Peter Sims) wrote:
>: Hmmmm to long and even more corny than the other one. I mentioned the idea
of
>: an "international werewolf day" on irc over a month ago.....
>:
>: (c)1996 -CyberWolf
>
>That'll teach you not to forget to stick a copyright on everything you say
>and do! :)
>
>Wolfie!

Look up :)

-CyberWolf! (aka Eric Bickle) /--------------------------\
email: JBI...@DIRECT.CA | Member of the AHWW pack, |
bbs: Cloud City [CO-SYSOP] (604) 582-7673 | newsgroup reader, and |
webpage: HTTP://WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/SOHO/1762 | insane irc chatter! |