Cookbook Trouble ...

Wanderer

Mar 13, 2002, 8:10:23 AM3/13/02
<sigh> I've been holding off as long as I could, hoping I could fix this
problem without needing to drag it out into the newsgroup. But, since that
didn't work ...

Does anyone here know how to fix a damaged Microsoft Word document? The
recipe file for the cookbook got Zipped with other things by my sister when
she cleared away a lot of my hard drive, and it damaged the text. Among the
casualties are:

MegaDog Curry
Katmandu's Chili
LoboCursor Lyceus' Beef and Beer

... and these are just the ones with enough left to identify.:/ So if you
sent me a recipe, please resend it so I can pull this back together ...
please?

Yours with a growl for his sister,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
wand...@ticnet.com

"Where am I going? I don't quite know.
What does it matter *where* people go?
Down to the woods where the bluebells grow!
Anywhere! Anywhere! *I* don't know!"
-- a. a. milne

MegaDog the Nettweiler

Mar 13, 2002, 3:40:08 PM3/13/02
In article <u8ujolq...@corp.supernews.com>, Wanderer yiffled:

><sigh> I've been holding off as long as I could, hoping I could fix this
>problem without needing to drag it out into the newsgroup. But, since that
>didn't work ...
>
>Does anyone here know how to fix a damaged Microsoft Word document? The
>recipe file for the cookbook got Zipped with other things by my sister when
>she cleared away a lot of my hard drive, and it damaged the text. Among the
>casualties are:
>
>MegaDog Curry

Try:

http://www.canismajor.demon.co.uk/indulge/indulge.htm

and go to "Recipe Book".
--
-----MegaDog-----
Maximising shareholder-value through superior firepower.

Fang Face

Mar 13, 2002, 6:08:13 PM3/13/02

Wanderer <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote in message
: <sigh> I've been holding off as long as I could, hoping I could fix

this
: problem without needing to drag it out into the newsgroup. But, since
that
: didn't work ...
:
D'OH!

: Does anyone here know how to fix a damaged Microsoft Word document? The

: recipe file for the cookbook got Zipped

Define "zipped".

:with other things by my sister when

: she cleared away a lot of my hard drive, and it damaged the text. Among
the
: casualties are:
:
: MegaDog Curry
: Katmandu's Chili
: LoboCursor Lyceus' Beef and Beer
:
: ... and these are just the ones with enough left to identify.:/ So if
you
: sent me a recipe, please resend it so I can pull this back together ...
: please?

:
I don't even remember _what_ recipie I gave you.Next time save things to
floppies.Its better than nothing.
HTH
HAND
: Yours with a growl for his sister,
:
Oh sure...blame her.

KatmanDu

Mar 13, 2002, 11:37:29 PM3/13/02
The chili can still be found at
http://www.were.net/~katmandu/workshop.shtml

---
katmandu1*at*charter.net * www.were.net/~katmandu
"how do you dare tell me that I'm my Father's son
when that was just an accident of Birth.
I'd rather look around me -- compose a better song
`cos that's the honest measure of my worth.
In your pomp and all your glory you're a poorer man than me,
as you lick the boots of death born out of fear.
I don't believe you:
you had the whole damn thing all wrong --
He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays."
--Jethro Tull, "Wind Up"

Wanderer

Mar 14, 2002, 12:14:34 AM3/14/02
"MegaDog the Nettweiler" <megadog@canis-^Hmajor.da^Hemon.co.uk> wrote in
message news:PZTNtRAo...@canismajor.demon.co.uk...

> Try:
>
> http://www.canismajor.demon.co.uk/indulge/indulge.htm
>
> and go to "Recipe Book".

Thanks!:) Recipes noted and saved, O British Bow-wow.;>

Yours wolfishly,

The recipe-collecting,

Wanderer

Mar 14, 2002, 12:20:29 AM3/14/02
Since you ask ...

"Fang Face" <kUhT...@KYpgKh8pvX.net> wrote in message

> Wanderer <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> : <sigh> I've been holding off as long as I could, hoping I could fix
> this
> : problem without needing to drag it out into the newsgroup. But, since
> that
> : didn't work ...
> :
> D'OH!
>
> : Does anyone here know how to fix a damaged Microsoft Word document? The
> : recipe file for the cookbook got Zipped
>
> Define "zipped".

zipped: adj. having been compacted with a program whose resulting files
end with *.zip

> :with other things by my sister when
> : she cleared away a lot of my hard drive, and it damaged the text. Among
> the
> : casualties are:
> :
> : MegaDog Curry
> : Katmandu's Chili
> : LoboCursor Lyceus' Beef and Beer
> :
> : ... and these are just the ones with enough left to identify.:/ So if
> you
> : sent me a recipe, please resend it so I can pull this back together ...
> : please?
> :
> I don't even remember _what_ recipie I gave you.Next time save things to
> floppies.Its better than nothing.

<sigh> Unfortunately, something was wiping my floppies, or I would've. I
couldn't even keep *.wav files on them ...

> HTH
> HAND
> : Yours with a growl for his sister,
> :
> Oh sure...blame her.

If you can name someone else who damaged the file ...

Anyhowl, which name were you using? I might be able to tell if your recipes
survived.

Yours wolfishly,

The file-scanning,

AnubiS

Mar 14, 2002, 5:43:50 PM3/14/02

Wanderer <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote in message
: Since you ask ...

:
: "Fang Face" <kUhT...@KYpgKh8pvX.net> wrote in message
: news:efRj8.10403$_m2.2...@feed.centurytel.net...
: >
: > Wanderer <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote in message
: > news:u8ujolq...@corp.supernews.com...
: > : <sigh> I've been holding off as long as I could, hoping I could fix
: > this
: > : problem without needing to drag it out into the newsgroup. But,
since
: > that
: > : didn't work ...
: > :
: > D'OH!
: >
: > : Does anyone here know how to fix a damaged Microsoft Word document?
The
: > : recipe file for the cookbook got Zipped
: >
: > Define "zipped".
:
: zipped: adj. having been compacted with a program whose resulting
files
: end with *.zip
:
Try unzipping them? Go to MSN and search the help files section maybe.I
think you have to d/l the program that lets you uncompress a zip'd
file.I've never had a prolem werking with zippy files and Iem a moron :o)

: >
[...]

Uh....arn't most WAV files too big to fit onnna floppy? Get a cd burner
d00d!!!

: > HTH

: > HAND
: > : Yours with a growl for his sister,
: > :
: > Oh sure...blame her.
: >
:
: If you can name someone else who damaged the file ...

:
I can tell you who didnt back them up properly ;o)

: Anyhowl, which name were you using? I might be able to tell if your
recipes
: survived.
:
Pft! Snuhwolf? Zenwolf? Ive lost track...

: Yours wolfishly,
:
: The file-scanning,
:
You misspelled 'loosing', hth.
HAND
: Wanderer

:
:

Wanderer

Mar 15, 2002, 3:40:51 AM3/15/02
"AnubiS" <kUhT...@KYpgKh8pvX.net> wrote in message

I wish you hadn't switched back to this name ... if I hadn't been checking
my filters for improperly caught messages, I'd've missed your reply
entirely.

> Wanderer <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote in message

> : > Define "zipped".
> :
> : zipped: adj. having been compacted with a program whose resulting
> files
> : end with *.zip
> :
> Try unzipping them? Go to MSN and search the help files section maybe.I
> think you have to d/l the program that lets you uncompress a zip'd
> file.I've never had a prolem werking with zippy files and Iem a moron :o)

<sigh> It *is* unzipped now. It's just that the zipping process has a
small, but definable, chance of damaging data. In this case, roughly
two-thirds of the file was reduced to alphabet soup.:/

> : > I don't even remember _what_ recipie I gave you.Next time save things
> : > floppies.Its better than nothing.
> :
> : <sigh> Unfortunately, something was wiping my floppies, or I would've.
> : couldn't even keep *.wav files on them ...
> :
> Uh....arn't most WAV files too big to fit onnna floppy? Get a cd burner
> d00d!!!

Actually, *.wav files fit just fine on a floppy. And I *have* a CD-burner
*now*. I just didn't have one *then*.

> : If you can name someone else who damaged the file ...
> :
> I can tell you who didnt back them up properly ;o)

Har de har har ... har.

> : Anyhowl, which name were you using? I might be able to tell if your
> recipes
> : survived.
> :
> Pft! Snuhwolf? Zenwolf? Ive lost track...

Okay, let me see ...now, I know you weren't using Snuhwolf at the time ...
ah, here we go. Yes, you sent me a recipe as Zenwolf ... Pasta Salad, to be
exact, and quite a nice recipe. Yep, it's intact. With your permission,
I'll just copy it over to the new file.:)

Yours having snipped the last "joke",

The recipe-filing,

AnubiS

Mar 15, 2002, 5:47:18 PM3/15/02

: "AnubiS" <kUhT...@KYpgKh8pvX.net> wrote in message

: news:Ou9k8.10559$_m2.2...@feed.centurytel.net...
:
: I wish you hadn't switched back to this name ... if I hadn't been
checking
: my filters for improperly caught messages, I'd've missed your reply
: entirely.

Huh?
: >
: > Wanderer <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote in message

: > news:u90cjfa...@corp.supernews.com...
: > : > Define "zipped".
: > :
: > : zipped: adj. having been compacted with a program whose resulting
: > files
: > : end with *.zip
: > :
: > Try unzipping them? Go to MSN and search the help files section
maybe.I
: > think you have to d/l the program that lets you uncompress a zip'd
: > file.I've never had a prolem werking with zippy files and Iem a moron
:o)
:
: <sigh> It *is* unzipped now. It's just that the zipping process has a
: small, but definable, chance of damaging data. In this case, roughly
: two-thirds of the file was reduced to alphabet soup.:/
:

Its karma then.Say 1k 'hail marys' and all will be well...so mote it be
:o)
There are data recovery services yuo know...tehy just cost money :o/
Try the yellow pages?

: > : > I don't even remember _what_ recipie I gave you.Next time save

things
: > : > floppies.Its better than nothing.
: > :
: > : <sigh> Unfortunately, something was wiping my floppies, or I
would've.
: > I
: > : couldn't even keep *.wav files on them ...
: > :
: > Uh....arn't most WAV files too big to fit onnna floppy? Get a cd
burner
: > d00d!!!
:
: Actually, *.wav files fit just fine on a floppy. And I *have* a
CD-burner
: *now*. I just didn't have one *then*.
:

Live N learn...

: > : If you can name someone else who damaged the file ...

: > :
: > I can tell you who didnt back them up properly ;o)
:
: Har de har har ... har.
:

Hmmm...a Hanna-Barbera quote...
I like'd Lippy the Lion better...

: >
: > : Anyhowl, which name were you using? I might be able to tell if your

: > recipes
: > : survived.
: > :
: > Pft! Snuhwolf? Zenwolf? Ive lost track...
:
: Okay, let me see ...now, I know you weren't using Snuhwolf at the time
: ah, here we go. Yes, you sent me a recipe as Zenwolf ... Pasta Salad,
to be
: exact, and quite a nice recipe. Yep, it's intact. With your
permission,
: I'll just copy it over to the new file.:)

:
Yah...its the intanet...folks do stuff without permission all the time.Go
fer it :o)
Its moms recipie btw...

: Yours having snipped the last "joke",
:
There once was a man from Nantucket...

: The recipe-filing,

:
:

MegaDog the Nettweiler

Mar 16, 2002, 3:26:41 PM3/16/02

In article <u90c84f...@corp.supernews.com>, Wanderer yiffled:

>"MegaDog the Nettweiler" <megadog@canis-^Hmajor.da^Hemon.co.uk> wrote in
>message news:PZTNtRAo...@canismajor.demon.co.uk...
>>
>> Try:
>>
>> http://www.canismajor.demon.co.uk/indulge/indulge.htm
>>
>> and go to "Recipe Book".
>
>Thanks!:) Recipes noted and saved, O British Bow-wow.;>

Glad to be of service....
++Dog++
[who spent the day in the company of three European Woles, two
North American Timberwolves, and an unspecified number of Siberian
Huskies of criminal snuggliness...]

Moonwolf 2001: A Transparent Fire Odyssey

Mar 16, 2002, 7:37:34 PM3/16/02
"Wanderer" <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote in message news:<u90cjfa...@corp.supernews.com>...

> Since you ask ...
>
> "Fang Face" <kUhT...@KYpgKh8pvX.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Wanderer <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > :with other things by my sister when
> > : she cleared away a lot of my hard drive, and it damaged the text. Among
> the
> > : casualties are:
> > :
> > : MegaDog Curry
> > : Katmandu's Chili
> > : LoboCursor Lyceus' Beef and Beer
> > :
> > : ... and these are just the ones with enough left to identify.:/ So if
> you
> > : sent me a recipe, please resend it so I can pull this back together ...
> > : please?
> > :
> > I don't even remember _what_ recipie I gave you.Next time save things to
> > floppies.Its better than nothing.
>
> <sigh> Unfortunately, something was wiping my floppies, or I would've. I
> couldn't even keep *.wav files on them ...

My grampa Milton Bradley Odyssey once had a problem like that. It
turned out it was because he had a refrigerator magnet in his pocket.
He'd gotten it from one of those companies that gives away such things
in the ludicrous hope that it will improve sales. So anyway, you
don't happen to have any magnets in the vicinity of your floppy disks,
do you?

Moonwolf 2001: A Transparent Fire Odyssey, Alpha Village Idiot

Wanderer

Mar 17, 2002, 9:01:58 AM3/17/02
"Moonwolf 2001: A Transparent Fire Odyssey" <moonwo...@godisdead.com>
wrote in message news:c41949ef.0203...@posting.google.com...

> My grampa Milton Bradley Odyssey once had a problem like that. It
> turned out it was because he had a refrigerator magnet in his pocket.
> He'd gotten it from one of those companies that gives away such things
> in the ludicrous hope that it will improve sales. So anyway, you
> don't happen to have any magnets in the vicinity of your floppy disks,
> do you?

Not unless you count the monitor.:P

Yours briefly,

The wolfish,