[Subj8] That incredible longing feeling

Blackfang

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

Howls! (again...)

sau...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Jeff "Twotails" Sauls) wrote:

> Okay, a quick one...

> How many of you have gone to a zoo, conservation park, nature
>center, etc..to see your respective totems, then had the incredible
>longing sensation of wanting to be with them, or be one of them?
>(Okay, dumb question, as about a few billion paws went up..)

*grin* I feel that all the time anyways. Actually, I've never seen
wolves IRL ::sigh::, but I think if I saw them in captivity, I would
just feel sick more than anything. I felt that all day when I was at
the San Diego zoo there, and the closest thing they have to wolves is
an aardwolf. :) I really thought they'd have bigger cages, though
::re-sigh::

Good hunting and a fair wind always at your back...

- Blackfang

"Creatures of the night - Shapeshifters,
Skin-changers. We are man or beast by our own Will.
To run on four legs, to howl at the moon, to chase the
terrified prey through the hills - this is what it is to
be truly alive.
The legend of the Werewolf is but a folk tale. We
change our shape when we choose, not because the moon is
in some phase. We are the beast with the mind of a man,
and a man with the mind of a beast."

- Quest for Glory IV

/\
/ \.--./\
/ \ / \
/ \/ \ .---.
/ |\_/| \ | | .---.
/ / o o \ \ | | | | .---.
/ /( )\ \ | `--' |_| |
/ / \#/ \ \ | ______'
| | `---. |
| | | | | |
(~\ | | /~) | |
__\_|| ||_/__ | |
___///_//_| |_\\__\\\__________|____|

Ben Goodridge

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

sau...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Jeff "Twotails" Sauls) wrote:

> Okay, a quick one...
>
> How many of you have gone to a zoo, conservation park, nature
> center, etc..to see your respective totems, then had the incredible
> longing sensation of wanting to be with them, or be one of them?
> (Okay, dumb question, as about a few billion paws went up..)
>
> Anyway, we already have post-Howl depression... what should we
> term this one, ladies and gents?

The Cincinnati Zoo was the only thing that kept my were-side anchored
while I spent seven long months in the Hell going by the name of Ohio;
(ducking fruit thrown by dedicated Ohio weres). They had no wolves,
but a walk through the cat-house would do it, and I took a whole roll
of film of their Siberian tiger...can't say that I'd've wanted to
share his cage, though...

Call this one Captive Phenotype Sympathy Syndrome...

Ben Goodridge
bgoo...@maine.maine.edu
http://maine.maine.edu/~bgoodr61

Tom Bubenik

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

Heh, when ever I go to the zoo, I never get past the wolves. If they
have other ones of my totem alnimals I see them too, but they usually
don't. Neever seen a zoo with a dolphin of a jaguar, yet. And
finding a phoenix or centaur in a zoo is out of the quesion. I just
stand there for hours and stare at the wolves, whising I could be in
there. Especially if it's hot and theres a little pond or stream in
the pen.
Also, just today I left from watching a movie I very much liked
because crows were calling. I couldn't see them, but I knew where
they were. If I wasn't the only one home (I had to gaurd the house)
I would have tracked them down. When I can back in the house our two
dogs and cat were looking at me strangly. Boots, the cat, may have
been following me around.
Peace,
Katie "Wakko!" Bubenik
Member of the AHWW cyber-pack, reminder of the KEnt State MAssacure
and hippie-goth (or goth-hippie)

nightshade

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

Ben Goodridge <bgoo...@maine.maine.edu> wrote in article
<51qe7c$1c...@sol.caps.maine.edu>...

> sau...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Jeff "Twotails" Sauls) wrote:
> The Cincinnati Zoo was the only thing that kept my were-side anchored
> while I spent seven long months in the Hell going by the name of Ohio;

Gotta love ohio don'tcha?

The Cincy Zoo is nice and has a bunch of nice things, but your right, they
don't really have any wolf exibits. Oh well, just have to stick with the
good old faithful 'the discovery and the learning channels" for now

Oh, and yes, I've had a loning to be with them or to be one of them, can't
say I've wanted to be stuck in a cage like that though.

--
NightShade
******Not just a nick but a state of being********

The Utlah

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Ululations...

> How many of you have gone to a zoo, conservation park, nature
>center, etc..to see your respective totems, then had the incredible
>longing sensation of wanting to be with them, or be one of them?
>(Okay, dumb question, as about a few billion paws went up..)

Hum. I dunno, I've never seen a wolf in a zoo. I guess I'd feel
very saddened though to see them in such a state though. There are some
wild foxes however, near where I live, and it's always great fun to yiff
with them. :) I can be happy for several days just for having seen a fox
scratching it's ear while sitting in the back garden!

I would love to run among real wolves. Who wouldn't? But alas I
doubt that will ever be. :(

> Anyway, we already have post-Howl depression... what should we
>term this one, ladies and gents?

Boy, have I suffered from that! :)

Utlah.

/\_/\ Utlah - *=*AHWW Cyberpack Member*=*
/<. .>\ "Once upon a time "Fable" by
\ / there was a lonely wolf Janos
\@/ lonelier than angels." Pilinszky

Zepp

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

"nightshade" <mey...@ucunix.san.uc.edu> orated thusly:

>Ben Goodridge <bgoo...@maine.maine.edu> wrote in article
><51qe7c$1c...@sol.caps.maine.edu>...
>> sau...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Jeff "Twotails" Sauls) wrote:
>> The Cincinnati Zoo was the only thing that kept my were-side anchored
>> while I spent seven long months in the Hell going by the name of Ohio;

>Gotta love ohio don'tcha?

>The Cincy Zoo is nice and has a bunch of nice things, but your right, they
>don't really have any wolf exibits. Oh well, just have to stick with the
>good old faithful 'the discovery and the learning channels" for now

>Oh, and yes, I've had a loning to be with them or to be one of them, can't
>say I've wanted to be stuck in a cage like that though.

I've had that longing all my life; it was the first thing that got me
to exploring that I might be were...

A smidge offtopic -- that was one of my favourite things about
"American Werewolf" -- the scene where he wakes up as a human,
surrounded by several very curious and unoffended wolves. "Mummy,
mummy -- a naked American man stole my balloons!" <giggle, snort!>

So ok, I'm wierd. This is news?

>--
>NightShade
>******Not just a nick but a state of being********
>mey...@ucunix.san.uc.edu

Greywolf the Wanderer, borrowing zepp's account
<looks innocent> Of course I've had my rabies shots, Officer. See my dog tags?

Jeff Ruppel

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

On 9/17/96 10:48PM, in message <323f7030...@news.ececs.uc.edu>, Jeff "Twotails" Sauls
<sau...@ucunix.san.uc.edu> wrote:

> Okay, a quick one...
>

> How many of you have gone to a zoo, conservation park, nature
> center, etc..to see your respective totems, then had the incredible
> longing sensation of wanting to be with them, or be one of them?
> (Okay, dumb question, as about a few billion paws went up..)
>

> Anyway, we already have post-Howl depression... what should we
> term this one, ladies and gents?

Good old-fashioned homesickness? :)

Yips and howls,
--
Jeff Ruppel
A.K.A.: HuggyWolf, Unity

Grollwynn

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

Every year my mother and I went to Cedar Point in Ohio. Jungle Larry had
an animal act. He brought out some of the most beautiful Panthers and
Tigers that you have ever seen. What I loved about the show was that it
was owned by the family and they insisted that the animals were always to
have their claws and fangs. They were never removed. The family loved
their animals like pets and they treated them like family members. Two
years ago they decided they weren't going to come to Ohio any more. I have
never felt so depressed. That was my one chance a year to get to see my
Totem alive and in the flesh, as they were intended to be. The animals in
the Zoo are captured and caged and that isn't right.
Just thought I would put my $.02 in. Thanks...

(Maybe sometime I will be able to get the nerve to describe my
vision/dream here...)

Shawpagan

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

In article <53ai13$n...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, grol...@aol.com
(Grollwynn) whispered hoping no one would notice him....

> They were never removed. The family loved
>their animals like pets and they treated them like family members. Two
>years ago they decided they weren't going to come to Ohio any more. I
have
>never felt so depressed. That was my one chance a year to get to see my
>Totem alive and in the flesh, as they were intended to be. The animals in
>the Zoo are captured and caged and that isn't right.
>Just thought I would put my $.02 in. Thanks...
>
>(Maybe sometime I will be able to get the nerve to describe my
>vision/dream here...)

Hey Fuzzy Face!!

Ya didn't think I'd just let you slip in and out did ya? (Hey, you
de-lurked quicker n I did....)
<bounce, yip, wiggle>
Hey, everyone! Remember the snotty bla...er..um....I mean my best friend
the werecat? Allow me to introduce---Grollwynn!! (Huzah, huzah....).
Any marshmallows left?

Blessings,
Silverhair (wondering if SHE ate all the marshmallows and just where you
buy virtual marshmallows, anyway....).

Zepp

Oct 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/9/96

shaw...@aol.com (Shawpagan) said dis!

>In article <53ai13$n...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, grol...@aol.com
>(Grollwynn) whispered hoping no one would notice him....

>> They were never removed. The family loved
>>their animals like pets and they treated them like family members. Two
>>years ago they decided they weren't going to come to Ohio any more. I
>have
>>never felt so depressed. That was my one chance a year to get to see my
>>Totem alive and in the flesh, as they were intended to be. The animals in
>>the Zoo are captured and caged and that isn't right.
>>Just thought I would put my $.02 in. Thanks...
>>
>>(Maybe sometime I will be able to get the nerve to describe my
>>vision/dream here...)

Please do; it is awaited with great interest!

>Hey Fuzzy Face!!

>Ya didn't think I'd just let you slip in and out did ya? (Hey, you
>de-lurked quicker n I did....)
><bounce, yip, wiggle>
>Hey, everyone! Remember the snotty bla...er..um....I mean my best friend
>the werecat? Allow me to introduce---Grollwynn!! (Huzah, huzah....).
>Any marshmallows left?

>Blessings,
>Silverhair (wondering if SHE ate all the marshmallows and just where you
>buy virtual marshmallows, anyway....).

<Greywolf puts on Ye Olde Wizard Hat, and reaches into thin air...
After a moment, paw returns holding a bag of marshmallows>
There yuh go!! Plenty more where those came from!

Welcome aboard, grollwyn!

Grollwynn

Oct 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/9/96

Alright you... Since you are going to go out on a limb... Oh wait, I
forgot you went as a wolf, you don't see too many wolves in trees...

Gimme one of them Marshmallows! <<Licks paws tenderly>>

Are there any werecards out there floating about? <<Tries to get gooey VR
Marshmallow off of paws>><<"Grrr.. nasty stuff anyway...">>

I am 24 years old, Married to a Rabbit (I know it's a temptation, but even
a Panther can be kind...)named Samantha. Have known a certain silver wolf
for over three years and have yet to figure her out. I am glad to know
that there are so many of you out there to talk to. It makes us feel that
we aren't alone any more.

<<"Damn! Still can't get this gooey stuff off... Who's idea was this
Marshmallow stuff?>><<Grumbles and climbs up the tree>>

Christopher Eric Hughes

Oct 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/9/96

Grollwynn (grol...@aol.com) wrote:
: Alright you... Since you are going to go out on a limb... Oh wait, I

: forgot you went as a wolf, you don't see too many wolves in trees...

: Gimme one of them Marshmallows! <<Licks paws tenderly>>

[A rather large bear looks over at the panther, smiles, and tosses him
a marshmellow.] Help yourself. *grin*

: Are there any werecards out there floating about? <<Tries to get gooey VR

: Marshmallow off of paws>><<"Grrr.. nasty stuff anyway...">>

: I am 24 years old, Married to a Rabbit (I know it's a temptation, but even
: a Panther can be kind...)named Samantha. Have known a certain silver wolf
: for over three years and have yet to figure her out. I am glad to know
: that there are so many of you out there to talk to. It makes us feel that
: we aren't alone any more.

Oh, you're certainly not alone. There's a rather large community of us
out here. Does anyone actually have an accurate count of how many of
us there are? At least active posters to the ng? I can't imagine how one
would try to count the number of lurkers we have. *grin*

: <<"Damn! Still can't get this gooey stuff off... Who's idea was this

: Marshmallow stuff?>><<Grumbles and climbs up the tree>>

Well, it was Pinky's idea originally, then I grabbed it and ran with it,
and then Greywolf grabbed it from me. *grin* Somewhere around here, there's
a lion-sized catnip pillow, but I think GaryLion's asleep on it. :)

LoveBear

--
In the name of the best within us, A is A
Christopher Eric Hughes Either-Or

Jeff Ruppel

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

On 10/9/96 2:00AM, in message <53fii4$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Grollwynn <grol...@aol.com> wrote:

> Alright you... Since you are going to go out on a limb... Oh wait, I
> forgot you went as a wolf, you don't see too many wolves in trees...
>
> Gimme one of them Marshmallows! <<Licks paws tenderly>>
>

> Are there any werecards out there floating about? <<Tries to get gooey VR
> Marshmallow off of paws>><<"Grrr.. nasty stuff anyway...">>

<CHOMP :9>

> <<"Damn! Still can't get this gooey stuff off... Who's idea was this
> Marshmallow stuff?>><<Grumbles and climbs up the tree>>

Hee hee! Just be careful you don't eat one of Pinky's rice krispy treats, or you may never be able to open
your mouth again! ;)

Shawpagan

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

In article <N.100996....@nor-la3-24.ix.netcom.com>,
Hugy...@ix.netcom.com (Jeff Ruppel) writes:

Knew you couldn't stay silent!

<Silverhair grabs the bag of vr marshmallows that Grollwynn dropped in
disgust..."More for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Finally she gives the bag back
to LoveBear, who can be fair and rational when it comes to the fluffy
things. Happily licking stickiness from her fur she smiles at new friends
meeting old friends. Then she jumps up: "Rice krispy treats?!?!?!">

Silverhair, the sugar-buzzin' wolf

*******************
Silverhair Shaw...@aol.com

Editor: C.O.L.L. OF THE GODDESS

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read."
- Groucho Marx
*****************

Shawpagan

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

In article <53gdkv$1...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>, hug...@ponder.csci.unt.edu
(Christopher Eric Hughes) writes:

>: <<"Damn! Still can't get this gooey stuff off... Who's idea was this

>: Marshmallow stuff?>><<Grumbles and climbs up the tree>>
>

>Well, it was Pinky's idea originally, then I grabbed it and ran with it,
>and then Greywolf grabbed it from me. *grin* Somewhere around here,
there's
>a lion-sized catnip pillow, but I think GaryLion's asleep on it. :)
>
>LoveBear

No! No! No! Do not give to him the lion-sized catnip pillow!!!! He'll
get goofy, pass out (fall out of his tree...) Wake up with a hangover and
grumpier than Hel, won't be fit to live with.... I got a newsletter to
publish here!! (He's my co-editor...)
Deadline approachith...
Editorial rant *off*

Love ya fuzzy face!!

Silverhair the sheepish wolf...baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagrrrrrrrrrrrr

Grollwynn

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

Again I say, get away from the Marshmallows!
I will find you wherever you are...

"The battle to protect innocence is not fought with the machinations of
war, it is fought bravely from within the heart. That is why eveil shall
never win, there is no heart to support their forces."

Gary Pavek

Oct 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/15/96

PAYDIRT!!!!

In article <53v33j$c...@lepton.startext.net>, gpa...@startext.net says...

>In article <53fii4$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, grol...@aol.com says...

<summarizing>

Grollwyn is a Panther who is married to a Rabbit. I referred all to
a web page which has Kevin and Kell comics. I checked the page and
it was stale, but not dead. I said I'd hunt for some answers.

<end of summary>

Well, I did a lycos web search on "kevin. and. kell.", and got a buncha
hits, including:

http://www.gdma.com/kk/

This seems to be their home page, with merchandise and a mailing list and
lotsa cool stuff. But it has the *current* strip (10/14/96) -- Kell's son,
Rudy is a teenage wolf [Hmmm. Looks odd without the "were" between
"teenage" and "wolf", dunnit?] and he has a hacker friend who is helping
him change the midterm so he has a chance of passing the test.

Joe GaryLionBob says, "Two claws up. Definitely check it out."

>GaryLion (who just figured out that if he adds his _name_ to his .sig, he
>won't have to remember to type it in each time. ;-) )

This time, I'll just recycle the signature block, instead. <g>

>--
>"We know who we are because we have uncovered the stuff of which we are
>made."
> -- Thomas More, _Care of the Soul_

Gary Pavek

Oct 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/15/96

In article <53fii4$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, grol...@aol.com says...

<snip>

>I am 24 years old, Married to a Rabbit (I know it's a temptation, but even
>a Panther can be kind...)named Samantha. Have known a certain silver wolf
>for over three years and have yet to figure her out. I am glad to know
>that there are so many of you out there to talk to. It makes us feel that
>we aren't alone any more.

<snip>

Compuserve offers a couple of teaser pages (at least that's what I think
they're doing...) to get people interested in signing up with them and
spending lotsa compu-bucks.

One of those pages is a _definite_ community service:

http://www.compuserve.com/enter/kk.htm

[The current day's strip]

http://www.compuserve.com/enter/kevkel/kkweek.html

[The past week's strips]

This is where you can see the daily "Kevin & Kell" comic strip, and link
to the past week's strips, and read "The Furry Tale So Far..." which fills
you in on the overview.

Strip is by Bill Holbrook, creator of _On the Fastrack_, and it's even
better than Fastrack, IMO.

[Hmmm. Just tried looking at them, and they haven't been updated for
almost 2 weeks. I'll e-mail and ask why, then let you know. In the mean-
time, check out what _is_ available.]

Kevin is a divorced rabbit. Kell (short for Kelly) is a widowed wolf.
They met, fell in love, and got married. Kell's family has never forgiven
her. He runs a Herbivore forum on the internet. She works for Herd
Thinners, Inc., designing web pages. Recently, Kell was diagnosed with a
case of spontaneous domestication. And, yes, they have kids. His, hers,
and theirs.

There's a lot of good humor, and a very savvy computer slant that even
newbies can follow. I really enjoy this one, and have made it a part of
my surfing whenever I've been able to get time off from reading AHWW
posts <g>. I finally remembered when I saw Grollwyn's post, so I pounced
on it -- and it hasn't changed. As I mentioned above. [Maybe have NetScape
set up wrong... gotta check...]

Well, that's enough of a review. And I've got a lotta windows open right
now... Always makes me nervous as a long-tailed lion in a room full of
rocking chairs.

GaryLion (who just figured out that if he adds his _name_ to his .sig, he
won't have to remember to type it in each time. ;-) )

Gary Pavek

Oct 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/15/96

In article <53v4c0$c...@lepton.startext.net>, gpa...@startext.net says...

>PAYDIRT!!!!
>

>In article <53v33j$c...@lepton.startext.net>, gpa...@startext.net says...
>>

>>In article <53fii4$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, grol...@aol.com says...
>
><summarizing>
>
>Grollwyn is a Panther who is married to a Rabbit. I referred all to
>a web page which has Kevin and Kell comics. I checked the page and
>it was stale, but not dead. I said I'd hunt for some answers.
>
><end of summary>
>

>Well, I did a lycos web search on "kevin. and. kell.", and got a buncha
>hits, including:
>
>http://www.gdma.com/kk/
>

>This seems to be their home page, with merchandise and a mailing list and
>lotsa cool stuff. But it has the *current* strip (10/14/96) -- Kell's son,
>Rudy is a teenage wolf [Hmmm. Looks odd without the "were" between
>"teenage" and "wolf", dunnit?] and he has a hacker friend who is helping
>him change the midterm so he has a chance of passing the test.
>

>Joe GaryLionBob says, "Two claws up. Definitely check it out."

And the master index which will take you to their individual strips is:

http://www.gdma.com/kk/master.htm

It's a riot watching their first anniversay. Course, part of that
comes from my marriage only being just shy of five months old...
Well, dated from the wedding, that is. Our hearts just kinda joined up
when we first met. It took _my_ mind a lot longer to get the message,
but it finally did. (Looks lovingly down the hall to where _she_ is
sleeping...) Well, 'bout time I wrapped it up here.

Sorry this post has taken so many posts to post. And, now that it's
become a thread in its own right (all by myself, too!) I see that it
would have been better off as a thread, as a "_Thread_ (Was Re:)" post.

Next time I'll try to do more politely according to netiquette.

Yours sleepily (I was really only staying up to pay the bills, ya know!),

>>GaryLion (who just figured out that if he adds his _name_ to his .sig, he
>>won't have to remember to type it in each time. ;-) )
>>

>This time, I'll just recycle the signature block, instead. <g>

This time, too. *big toothy yawn*

Wanderer

Oct 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/15/96

Gary Pavek <gpa...@startext.net> wrote in article
<53v33j$c...@lepton.startext.net>...
(snip)

> This is where you can see the daily "Kevin & Kell" comic strip, and link
> to the past week's strips, and read "The Furry Tale So Far..." which
fills
> you in on the overview.

(snip)

> [Hmmm. Just tried looking at them, and they haven't been updated for
> almost 2 weeks. I'll e-mail and ask why, then let you know. In the
mean-
> time, check out what _is_ available.]

If you want a regularly updated page of Kevin & Kell, try this one:

http://www.gmcclel.bossnt.com/kk/master.htm

From here, you can get to every strip since the series began ... including
the first (and only) Sunday strip!:)

Also, they have merchandise with the characters on it ... T-Shirts and
mousepads, anyone?:>

Yours wolfishly,

The link-collecting,

Wanderer

wand...@why.net
wand...@whytel.com

Grollwynn

Oct 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/16/96

Silverhair... I will get you. I know where you live and I know your
weakness...
Hmmm... I think if something should happen to your newsgroups so that you
only receive mail from those Fundamentalists...