Hmmmmmm

Sinclair Andersen

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

Raphiel wrote:

))) rrrrip

> But this flame has actually given me an idea for yet another topic to
> discuss...
>
> How real is this phenomenon we all seem to be a part of? What part of
> reality does it make up? Do people reconstruct reality to include this?
>
> I'm going to be DAMN surprised if anyone bothers following THIS one up.
> :) They'll have had to dig a long way to get here. :)
>
> Raphiel

Heh, and who can resist to follow up?
I mean, after all, I am a behavioural scientist (as well as a were).

That depends on if we talk about the quantifiable reality, the one
natural scientists ususally speak about (at least in public opinion).

But that is not the defined reality that we base our cultures on.
The human brain builds up mental models of the world around us,
so called cognitive structures. In the strict psychological sense we don't
act or respond on reality as much as our perception of reality. And since
this is common to all human beings (and probably to most animals, at least
mammals), the question if this subjective way is false or not is quite redundant.

At the bottom of every cultural phenomena lies the participating members
subjective perception of reality, wether it is that weres exist (if not,
why are you here?;) ) or that companies and a free market, or a particular church
is a necessary part of existence. And what we can call development or evolution
of our cultures/societies is the constantly on-going processes of reconstructing
our cognitive structures (how we percieve reality) and our mutual agreements
(social contracts, I think it's called. I'm too lazy and it's too late right now to check it up.)

And of course, this is not an eternal truth, either. According to some
Behaviourists (not the same as a behavioural scientist, just one branch within the BSs),
we're all simply a bundle of learned/insinctive reflexes and responses walking around.
As you might notice, I don't subscribe to that particular viewpoint. If others do, be free
to define Behaviourism otherwise.
The question in the end, cousin, is not what part of reality does it make up, but
whose reality is this a part of?
I'm writing this on the fly, so to speak and to not be too tiresome, I'll finish here.

Class dismissed. :)

Care & Take Care,
-=HOWLING=-
-=HEART=-

a.k.a.
Sinclair Andersen,
physically residing in Stockholm, Sweden
but you are always welcome to my
Cyber L@ir at http://www.algonet.se/~edge/wolf
or mail me: ed...@algonet.se

=+= My opponent knew me so well, =+=
=+= I had to make a move that surprised us both =+=