Reposted from alt.lifestyle.furry: Bizarre magazine mentions alt.horror.werewolves...

Sci Fox

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
I thought this might be of interest to the group. As it says in the subject
line, this is being reposted from ALF. I did not right the origional, so
don't ask me questions about it.

Sci Fox

Locandez <vhv...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
(e.g.
> autism, porphoryia); modern werewolf sightings and "World Wide Were'd"
> (wereism across the globe).
>
> ------
>
> Werewolf wannabes are thinner on the ground than their vampiric
> counterparts: instead of swanning around in purple velvet and frilly
shirts,
> werewolves get to lurk in damp forests at night, eviscerating small
animals.
> Despite the lack of glamour, there are a few self-proclaimed theriomorphs
> (they say the term lacks the negative connotations of the Anglo Saxon
> 'werewolf', literally man-wolf). Their emphasis is on the mystical and
> psychological aspects - more Angela Carter than Lon Chaney. There are,
> inevitably, a handful of websites for the faithful, and a Usenet
newsgroup,
> alt.horror.werewolves.
>
> So what does a modern werewolf actually do? According to the newsgroup's
> FAQ, it's as much a state of mind as anything: "When folks here call
> themselves werewolves, they generally mean they find the characteristics
of
> lycanthropy intriguing and see examples of such in themselves. What those
> characteristics are and the extent to which they manifest themselves are,
> again, very personal and vary from individual to individual." However,
they
> identify with the full gamut of shapechangers, from wolves through to the
> arctic exotics like the flesh-eating Inuit demon, the Wendigo.
>
> They act a great deal less morbid than their vampiric cousins. While
modern
> vampirism seems to be mainly sexual in nature, being a werewolf falls
> somewhere between a meditation technique and a martial art. One member
> describes the "changed" state as "what defensive-tactics instructors call
> 'Condition Orange': the state of hyper-readiness and alertness that means
> one is ready to handle whatever crisis emerges. It's the state that I
> envision a healthy animal being in at any given moment..." These
cyberspace
> wolfmen want "to balance the two halves of our nature, so that we can
teach
> the rest of humanity how to balance its drive to conquer with the reality
> that it needs nature to survive."
>
> Although most of the 'real-world' werewolves are a sensible if eccentric
> bunch, the line between fantasy and mental illness can sometimes seem a
> little thin. While some modern 'werewolves' claim to be lycanthropes in
the
> medieval sense, it's doubtful they understand that they're actually
claiming
> to be delusional.
>

> --------
>

> Locandez
>

> --
> My REAL email address is: lyndale (at) argonet (dot) co (dot) uk

KatmanDu

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
On Fri, 14 May 1999 22:25:25 +0100, "Sci Fox"
<Sci...@asylum30.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I thought this might be of interest to the group. As it says in the subject
>line, this is being reposted from ALF. I did not right the origional, so
>don't ask me questions about it.

>> somewhere between a meditation technique and a martial art. One member

>> describes the "changed" state as "what defensive-tactics instructors call
>> 'Condition Orange': the state of hyper-readiness and alertness that means
>> one is ready to handle whatever crisis emerges. It's the state that I
>> envision a healthy animal being in at any given moment..."

I wonder if I should smack him for quoting me without asking...

katm...@home.com - members.home.net/katmandu1 - katm...@arches.uga.edu
"If the real Jesus Christ was to stand up today, He'd be gunned down
cold by the CIA. Oh, the lights that burn brightest behind stained glass
will cast the darkest shadows upon the human heart. But GOD didn't build
*himself* that throne. GOD doesn't live in Israel or Rome. GOD doesn't
belong to the yankee dollar. GOD doesn't plant the bombs for Hezbollah.
GOD doesn't even go to church. And GOD won't send us down to Allah to burn.
No, GOD will remind us what we already know- that the human race is
about to reap what it's sown. The World is on its elbows and knees;
it's forgotten the message and worships the creed."
-The The, "Armageddon Days are Here Again"

Sci Fox

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
KatmanDu wrote...

> On Fri, 14 May 1999 22:25:25 +0100, "Sci Fox"
> <Sci...@asylum30.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I thought this might be of interest to the group. As it says in the
subject
> >line, this is being reposted from ALF. I did not right the origional, so
> >don't ask me questions about it.
>
> >> somewhere between a meditation technique and a martial art. One member
> >> describes the "changed" state as "what defensive-tactics instructors
call
> >> 'Condition Orange': the state of hyper-readiness and alertness that
means
> >> one is ready to handle whatever crisis emerges. It's the state that I
> >> envision a healthy animal being in at any given moment..."
>
> I wonder if I should smack him for quoting me without asking...

The EmaIl for thier letters page is: biz...@johnbrown.co.uk
Go for it!! =)

Sci Fox --- who has now bought said magazine.