Tips-of-the-hat (was: Mythos - A shared world?)

瀏覽次數:11 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Sascha LC Erni

未讀,
1997年6月12日 凌晨3:00:001997/6/12
收件者:

On 11 Jun 1997, mytholder wrote:

> >Illuminatus trilogy, or Chalker's "Dancing Gods" series, or any other
> >numerous novels, use elements from the Mythos; yet are firmly rooted
> in
> >some other genre, and don't pretend otherwise.
> This isn't important, but there's a tiny tip-of-the-hat to the mythos
> in 'Foucault's Pendulum' by Umberto Eco. Great book, if anyone
> cares....

yes, i do. :) [this book is ESPECIALLY recommended to all those interested
in "how to create a mythology"]

check out [english writer] Terry Pratchett. in his best-selling
"Discworld" series of novels, he really hits the nail square. he invented
the "Dungeon Dimension," where "The Things of the Dungeon Dimension" lurk,
waiting for any opportunity to break through to the "warm lands of
reality." but be warned: pratchett is a comic author. he pokes fun at
almost anything asociated with fantasy... imagine... 85 years old Cohen
the Barbarian and his "gray horde"... death as DEATH, an antropomorphic
personification, that is... meetings of the "vitally challenged (= the
undead)"...
and there are loads of references to hpl, too. the novel "equal rites"
contains a "big hello to the kids at the h.p. lovecraft holiday fun club,"
and quite often an obscure book named the "necrotelecomnicon" appears. for
a terminal lovecraftian view of reality, take a look at "moving pictures."
i won't say much, but... allright... [rhmph] two students of magic,
working on their final degrees. "how does [enter phonologycally
advanced name here], star-turtle with a million young, torture her
victims? - don't say it... yes, she shows them her family photographs.
after saying for the 1000th time "yes, he has your eyes," ... "
[sorry, but i haven't the book handy, so i have to strain my memory]
also quite interesting in this respect: "sourcery" and "good omens."
lc

Luke Gutzwiller

未讀,
1997年6月13日 凌晨3:00:001997/6/13
收件者:

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:01:46 +0200, Sascha LC Erni
<sle...@studi.unizh.ch> wrote:

>check out [english writer] Terry Pratchett. in his best-selling
>"Discworld" series of novels, he really hits the nail square.

(snip)

There's more. In "The Colour of Magic", the first Discworld book,
Rincewind, Twoflower, and Hrun encounter the Ichor God Bel-Shamharoth,
a horrible tentacled monstrosity who was worshipped in nasty ways long
ago.

Later on, I forget in which book, there is a mention of the "Young
Men's Reformed-Cultists-of-the-Ichor-God-Bel-Shamharoth Association".
I think Death's servant Albert had one of their towels.
--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design
something completely foolproof is to underestimate the

-- Douglas Adams
Luke Gutzwiller [kos...@geocities.com]
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/3612

0 則新訊息