DO NOT use Snowblower on a Roof

gen...@internet.com

Mar 14, 2013, 1:55:46 AM3/14/13
I just downloaded a user manual for a snowblower I am trying to repair.
It says "DO NOT use Snowblower on a Roof". COME ON....... I know this
world is full of idiots, but could anyone /really/ be that stupid?
(Not to mention having to lift it up there, when it takes 2 men to load
it into a pickup truck)!

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 14, 2013, 5:54:28 AM3/14/13
It is done all the time. Last winter, one of the local supermarkets
had one going after a series of big snowfalls. The previous building
owner where I work had done it a few years ago.

Dean Hoffman

Mar 14, 2013, 7:20:27 AM3/14/13
More here: http://tinyurl.com/h4om7

Jim Elbrecht

Mar 14, 2013, 7:26:43 AM3/14/13
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:55:46 -0600, gen...@internet.com wrote:

I have done my garage roof with my Toro 1800 [electric].

I've seen big honkin' 10HP blowers on flat roofs in the city.

Beats the hell out of a shovel- even way up in the air.

Jim

Moe DeLoughan

Mar 14, 2013, 7:46:45 AM3/14/13
When my next door neighbor hired a roofer to redo her roof, he dawdled
from early fall into the middle of winter...so right after New Year's,
we got to watch two of his crew hoist a snowblower onto the roof, blow
off the snow, and get back to nailing shingles.

Unquestionably Confused

Mar 14, 2013, 8:07:06 AM3/14/13
On 3/14/2013 12:55 AM, gen...@internet.com wrote:
It is said that "Ignorance can be cured, but stupid is forever."

So, yes, I seriously doubt that some guy intelligent enough to find work
writing technical manuals and such, sat toking a blunt and decided,
"Hey, this is something fun to write into this manual."

More likely that some cretin told his buddy, "Hey! Here, hold my beer,
I wanna try something! Wait, set it down over there and give me a hand"
with predictable (to anyone with a brain) results.<g>

Stormin Mormon

Mar 14, 2013, 8:26:58 AM3/14/13
Years ago, I've seen a photo of a Jehovas
Witness meeting house, with a couple dozen
people up there, shovelling. And, also done
at stores and other places with flat roofs.
Stores, malls, etc.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message

DerbyDad03

Mar 14, 2013, 8:45:18 AM3/14/13
DAGS

Lots of videos of people using snowblowers on roofs...residential and
businesses.

tra...@optonline.net

Mar 14, 2013, 9:13:45 AM3/14/13
I think the misconception here is that some folks are
picturing people using it on a traditional, pitched house
roof. It would make sense to use it on FLAT roofs, if
there is a huge snowfall that is pushing the limits of
the roof. And if there is easy accessibility, ie a large
commercial roof. The snowblower manufacturer is probably
just putting that warning in to cover their asses in the
even someone runs one off a roof and kills someone.

willshak

Mar 14, 2013, 9:46:03 AM3/14/13
Probably has something to do with lawsuits.
"Nobody told me not to do it".
http://bit.ly/X9YgAK

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Stormin Mormon

Mar 14, 2013, 10:25:34 AM3/14/13
I don't know how true this is, but I heard of a couple brain deads who
wanted to trim a hedge. Someone had the idea that two guys could pick up a
walk behind lawn mower, and carry it over the top of the hedge. Reaching
under the mower, they lost several fingers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Unquestionably Confused" <puzz...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Jon Danniken

Mar 14, 2013, 11:48:28 AM3/14/13
I can see a problem with the snow that is being blown off of the roof
causing a problem, especially if there is a well-travelled road down
below, or a busy sidewalk. Yes, this is a common sense issue, but that
commodity is in short supply at the current time.

Jon

EXT

Mar 14, 2013, 11:44:12 AM3/14/13

"willshak" <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> gen...@internet.com wrote the following on 3/14/2013 1:55 AM (ET):
>> I just downloaded a user manual for a snowblower I am trying to repair.
>> It says "DO NOT use Snowblower on a Roof". COME ON....... I know this
>> world is full of idiots, but could anyone /really/ be that stupid?
>> (Not to mention having to lift it up there, when it takes 2 men to load
>> it into a pickup truck)!
>>

> Probably has something to do with lawsuits.

I can see the benefit to blowing the snow off flat or nearly flat roofs. I
am sure that the manufacturer inserted that warning for protection from any
damages that the blower may cause when the operator hits a vent or other
equipment under the snow or if the skids on the bottom of the blower slices
into the roofing material and causes leaks, or if the blower picks up gravel
on the roof and shatters windows, or someone pops a disk in their back
trying to lift it up or back down. With care they will work but the
manufacturer doesn't want to cover the additional risks that roof blowing
entails. Their lawyers would probably like to add warnings against the
dangers of clearing snow off driveways but that would kill off all sales.

DerbyDad03

Mar 14, 2013, 2:21:17 PM3/14/13
On Mar 14, 9:13 am, "trad...@optonline.net" <trad...@optonline.net>
wrote:
Note the phrasing of the OP's post:

"I know this world is full of idiots, but could anyone /really/ be
that stupid? (Not to mention having to lift it up there, when it
takes 2 men to load it into a pickup truck)!"

There's no mention of what type of roof he is "objecting" to. In fact,
the last sentence, related to the weight, would apply to a flat roof,
a pitched roof or even a dome. It's clear (at least to me) that the OP
felt (at least at that point) that the use of a snowblower on *any*
roof makes the user "stupid".

Hopefully, the responses in the thread have pointed him in the right
direction...up!

gen...@internet.com

Mar 14, 2013, 3:41:17 PM3/14/13
That's funny!!!!

That's like these "Mister Heater" heaters that go on a LP tank. They
say "Do not use indoors". While I'm fully aware that they can burn up
the oxygen, and kill a person in a tightly sealed building, and fresh
air should always be allowed to enter the building, but saying "Do not
use indoors" is rediculous. There's no point in having one if you are
going to try to heat the outdoor air.

Jon Danniken

Mar 14, 2013, 6:48:38 PM3/14/13
They are actually quite common around here in drift boats during the
salmon/steelhead run.

Jon

DerbyDad03

Mar 14, 2013, 9:36:27 PM3/14/13
I have used them outdoors. One time I had to fix my wife's brakes on a
winter morning. I kept the propane heater right next to me and it helped,
especially to warm my hands up every now and then.

nestork

Mar 14, 2013, 10:30:56 AM3/14/13

willshak;3029827 Wrote:
> Probably has something to do with lawsuits.
> "Nobody told me not to do it".

That's it.
My Makita corded electric drill came with a user's manual telling me not
to use it underwater.

--
nestork

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 14, 2013, 10:25:13 PM3/14/13
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 06:20:27 -0500, Dean Hoffman
<""dh0496\"@win*&dstr$%eam.net"> wrote:

They would be wacky, but people do the sort of things warned against.
Of course, a simple label is not going to stop the true idiots.

WW

Mar 14, 2013, 11:02:43 PM3/14/13

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news:Z7l0t.34995$aO.1...@fe15.iad...

I don't know how true this is, but I heard of a couple brain deads who
wanted to trim a hedge. Someone had the idea that two guys could pick up a
walk behind lawn mower, and carry it over the top of the hedge. Reaching
under the mower, they lost several fingers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
Had a friend that has a long frontage hedge that was over 6 feet tall and
about 4 feet wide. This was a tough job up & down a step ladder to do the
trimming. His neighbor brought over his large back hoe. He tied the lawn
mower on the bucket , fired up the mower and would swing it back & forth
over the hedge and then lower it to cut more off. Was a good looking job
when done. WW

Red Green

Mar 17, 2013, 4:55:59 PM3/17/13
gen...@internet.com wrote in news:abp2k8t744msjmcl5oqu1pobqa1qihlcdm@
4ax.com:
Hey, this was an insert in the box of a nailer I bought.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/allzme.jpg

Red Green

Mar 17, 2013, 5:00:41 PM3/17/13
nestork <nestork...@diybanter.com> wrote in news:nestork.b883928
@diybanter.com:
So, you returned it to look for one you could?

Oren

Mar 17, 2013, 8:39:47 PM3/17/13
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 20:55:59 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
<postm...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Hey, this was an insert in the box of a nailer I bought.
>
>http://oi48.tinypic.com/allzme.jpg

Must be a north east regional thingy.

Red Green

Mar 19, 2013, 5:39:03 PM3/19/13
Oren <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:1fock8hk6gekmjc8bkhba5sma37ep54uhd@
4ax.com:
Nothin' gets by you Oren...<sigh>

Lee Abend

Jan 13, 2018, 2:14:07 PM1/13/18
replying to generic, Lee Abend wrote:
I have a 110 lb. single stage 205 cc. snow blower. I use a rope and have
someone on roof help me get it on. My pitch on my roof is slight enough so
snow doesn't naturally come off. I then have someone stand just on the other
side of the peak with a rope and assists me when I walk backwards up the path
I just snowblowed. Then I go down the next path and repeat the process.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/do-not-use-snowblower-on-a-roof-740732-.htm

Clare Snyder

Jan 13, 2018, 5:04:38 PM1/13/18
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 19:14:02 GMT, Lee Abend
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to generic, Lee Abend wrote:
>I have a 110 lb. single stage 205 cc. snow blower. I use a rope and have
>someone on roof help me get it on. My pitch on my roof is slight enough so
>snow doesn't naturally come off. I then have someone stand just on the other
>side of the peak with a rope and assists me when I walk backwards up the path
>I just snowblowed. Then I go down the next path and repeat the process.

We used an electric "snow thrower" onthe cottage roof up at Oliphant

Sure as heck beat shnoveling - it was a pretty low pitch (Viceroy)