Genie Garage Door Opener Won't Turn Off Lights

KlausK

Nov 17, 2007, 1:02:02 PM11/17/07
When activated, my Genie garage door opener should turn on the lights in the
powerhead and turn them off after 20 seconds or so.

Several days ago it started NOT to turn off lights and I had to push the
light on/off button on the wall console to manually turn them off. Today,
even pushing the button didn't turn off the lights.

The opener works well. It just doesn't turn off the lights. Is this a
problem of the wall console or the powerhead? Thanks.

Message has been deleted

AZ Nomad

Nov 17, 2007, 2:43:16 PM11/17/07

Probably burned points on the relay. Clean with some electrical contact
cleaner.

Uncle Monster

Nov 17, 2007, 5:17:14 PM11/17/07

Try killing the power to the opener for 30 seconds.
The electronics could be fouled up from a power
glitch. It's a lot like rebooting a computer when it
misbehaves. Everything these days has a darn
microprocessor in it and I'll bet the light is turned
on and off by a solid state switch (triac).

[8~{} Uncle Monster

KlausK

Nov 17, 2007, 7:15:14 PM11/17/07

"AZ Nomad" <azno...@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message

I've found that when the weather is warm, the opener turns off the lights.
Where is the relay? In the powerhead?

Steve Barker

Nov 17, 2007, 7:40:30 PM11/17/07
The genie light stays on for 5 minutes.

"KlausK" <di...@noone.com> wrote in message

shaq

Nov 17, 2007, 9:19:42 PM11/17/07

You should use a contact cleaner that actually improves the
connection. Try DeoxIT on the points, switches and connections. It
chemically improves metal conductivity. It is amazing stuff. www.deoxit.com
Mike

AZ Nomad

Nov 17, 2007, 11:21:11 PM11/17/07

yes. A relay is basically an electromagnetic switch. A coil is energized
producing a magnetic field which then pulls a switch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

mhubb...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2007, 11:09:56 AM12/8/07
On Nov 17, 11:21 pm, AZ Nomad <azno...@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:15:14 -0500, KlausK <di...@noone.com> wrote:
> >"AZ Nomad" <azno...@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message

> >> Probably burned points on the relay. Clean with some electrical contact
> >> cleaner.
> >I've found that when the weather is warm, the opener turns off the lights.
> >Where is the relay? In the powerhead?
>
> yes. A relay is basically an electromagnetic switch. A coil is energized
> producing a magnetic field which then pulls a switch.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

I have the exact same problem, light stays on indefinitely, not just 5
minutes (mines been on for days now). Killing power for hours did not
reset it. A clicking sound comes from the unit when I move the light
switch up and down, so it's trying to do something. I don't see a
part that looks like it could be cleaned with contact cleaner. it
almost seems like the "relay" is a sealed part that is attached to the
circuit board. Any help is appreciated.

Theresa Bartock

Jan 25, 2018, 11:14:06 PM1/25/18

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/genie-garage-door-opener-won-t-turn-off-lights-266897-.htm

Uncle Monster

Jan 26, 2018, 12:05:15 AM1/26/18
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 10:14:06 PM UTC-6, Theresa Bartock wrote:
> replying to KlausK, Theresa Bartock wrote:
>
> The opener works well. It just doesn't turn off the lights. Is this a problem
> of the wall console or the powerhead? Thanks.
> --

You're too late. 10 years ago, KlausK was killed by his garage door opener when it went berserk. The authorities investigated and were told by eyewitnesses that a flying saucer was hovering overhead at the time of the tragic accident. KlausK is survived by a wife, 4 ex-wives, 43 children, 6 dogs, 13 cats, 4 horses, 200 rabbits, a herd of zebra and 1,647 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. It was such a tragedy. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Twidget

May 28, 2018, 5:14:06 PM5/28/18
replying to mhubbard58, Twidget wrote:
The relay is sealed, contacts inside are probably carboned up. Tapping on
relay could cause them to open turning off the lights. If not, fix is to
replace relay on board or buy another board.

Uncle Monster

May 28, 2018, 6:06:12 PM5/28/18
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 4:14:06 PM UTC-5, Twidget wrote:
> replying to mhubbard58, Twidget wrote:
> The relay is sealed, contacts inside are probably carboned up. Tapping on
> relay could cause them to open turning off the lights. If not, fix is to
> replace relay on board or buy another board.
> --

You're too late. 10 years ago, mhubbard58 became so upset that his garage door wasn't working that he sold his home and all his property then moved to Africa to live in a grass hut. He's much less frustrated now except for the Lions that keep trying to eat him. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Garage Monster

Tekkie®

May 29, 2018, 3:51:33 PM5/29/18
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...
What about the gerbils???

--
Tekkie

gfre...@aol.com

May 29, 2018, 4:52:14 PM5/29/18
On Tue, 29 May 2018 15:51:32 -0400, Tekkie® <Tek...@comcast.net>
wrote:
The sun never shines where he keeps his gerbils.

Tekkie®

May 29, 2018, 5:02:20 PM5/29/18
gfre...@aol.com posted for all of us...
Good one, thanks.

--
Tekkie

Uncle Monster

May 29, 2018, 5:31:54 PM5/29/18
He throws them to the lions to distract them while he makes his escape. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Lying Monster

Uncle Monster

May 29, 2018, 5:33:49 PM5/29/18
He doesn't want his gerbils to get sunburned. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sunny Monster