Titanic Model

Valerio Porta

Jan 1, 2001, 6:13:10 AM1/1/01
Hi to everyone!
I'm building a 1:250 scale model of the Titanic, completely made of wood a
and brass.
Once finished it will be 1.07 meters long. I'm assembling the hull right
now, it's based on the real drawings of the ship.

Have you ever built a Titanic Model?

Bye bye from Italy...

Valerio

William J. Leary Jr.

Jan 1, 2001, 7:01:25 AM1/1/01

"Valerio Porta" <ocean...@libero.it> wrote in message

> Hi to everyone!
> I'm building a 1:250 scale model of the Titanic, completely made of wood a
> and brass.
> Once finished it will be 1.07 meters long. I'm assembling the hull right
> now, it's based on the real drawings of the ship.
>
> Have you ever built a Titanic Model?

Yes, once long ago. I've got a large Minicraft kit I haven't started yet
too.

Jump over to http://titanic-model.com/ and visit the "Members Models"
section.

They're reconstructing this section, so some of the older models are
off-line at the moment. As I recall there were a couple in the 1:250 scale
range there before.

- Bill

vince garcia

Jan 1, 2001, 8:20:03 AM1/1/01
Valerio Porta wrote:

> Hi to everyone!
> I'm building a 1:250 scale model of the Titanic, completely made of wood a
> and brass.
> Once finished it will be 1.07 meters long. I'm assembling the hull right
> now, it's based on the real drawings of the ship.
>
> Have you ever built a Titanic Model?

yes-. took many many weeks. Please post a pic of yours when done; we'd
love to see it.

Valerio Porta

Jan 1, 2001, 8:29:20 AM1/1/01
I will post lots of pics of it...step-by-step. I think it will tooks months
before it will be finish...
I'm building a website in which I will put this model and a previous 1:550
scale model.

I will keep you updated on the url...
Bye, Valerio

Michael

Jan 1, 2001, 1:39:46 PM1/1/01
I started one back in the mid 1980's, in 1:140 scale, using a 1:350 scale
plastic kit as reference. Originally planned as Olympic, then changed to
Titanic. Still unfinished with ventilators, deck fittings and other not so
fun repetitious items to build. Good luck with your own Titanic model.

Michael

Photos at URL
http://members.home.net/ve9rms/titanicmodel.htm

Bob Botts

Jan 1, 2001, 2:11:31 PM1/1/01

Michael wrote:

> I started one back in the mid 1980's, in 1:140 scale, using a 1:350 scale
> plastic kit as reference. Originally planned as Olympic, then changed to
> Titanic.

...snip...

Perhaps this is where the infamous "Switch" conspiracy actually started. ;-)

Cheers... Bob

--
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.

Valerio Porta

Jan 1, 2001, 2:35:59 PM1/1/01
Here is the link: http://utenti.tripod.it/oceandrive/titanic/

It is still under construction, as soon as I will build the new part of the
hull I will update the missing pics.
It also include the NY Times articles of April 16th 1912, totally re
written.

Stay tuned...
^____-

Valerio

Bill L.

Jan 1, 2001, 4:08:20 PM1/1/01
>>I'm building a 1:250 scale model of the Titanic, completely made of wood a
and brass.
Once finished it will be 1.07 meters long. I'm assembling the hull right
now, it's based on the real drawings of the ship.

Have you ever built a Titanic Model?<<

Only the 1:350 Minicraft model, and that was allot of work to do right !

Bill

Valerio Porta

Jan 2, 2001, 6:23:57 AM1/2/01
New pics added from the 1:550 scale model...some pics are b&w to make them
more realistic...
Stay tuned

^____-

--
Bye!
Valerio Porta

Hans Engnell

Jan 2, 2001, 4:07:49 PM1/2/01

Valerio Porta wrote...

>Hi to everyone!
>I'm building a 1:250 scale model of the Titanic, completely made of wood a
>and brass.
>Once finished it will be 1.07 meters long. I'm assembling the hull right
>now, it's based on the real drawings of the ship.
>
>Have you ever built a Titanic Model?

I惴 building one right now (1:100) together with my father. My advise: never
start. It愀 an awful amount of work to build a scratch Titanic, so you if
you愉e married you have to be prepared to see your wife leaving you after a
while (if you don愒 want to build the model for ten years or so). It愀 feels
like building a city, almost.

A few old pictures on www.titanic-plan.de (under "models")

Best
Hans

Dante Scott

Jan 2, 2001, 8:30:27 PM1/2/01
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:07:49 +0100, "Hans Engnell" <fvx...@tninet.se>
wrote:

>I惴 building one right now (1:100) together with my father. My advise: never
>start. It愀 an awful amount of work to build a scratch Titanic, so you if
>you愉e married you have to be prepared to see your wife leaving you after a
>while (if you don愒 want to build the model for ten years or so). It愀 feels
>like building a city, almost.

- Funny, down in San Pedro at the Maritime Museum they have two huge
models of Titanic and Lusitania side by side. I can't recall the
scale or the gentleman's name that built them, but I do recall the
little placard saying something like Titanic took him 5 1/2 years to
build and Lusitania took him about 6. If anyone's ever in that area,
stop off and take a look. They're really well done. The starboard
side of the ships are exterior views and when you move to the port
side, the inside of each ship is exposed with cabins, engine rooms,
elevators, coal bins, you name it. A really great job.

Dante

Valerio Porta

Jan 3, 2001, 2:40:14 AM1/3/01

Hehe...no, no...no wife here...I'm 21...
I saw you model and it seems to be very intersting!!! Are building it by
yourself? I mean...you made all the wood pieces and so on? That's a very
very good work! I hope (one day) you'll finish it! Good luck!!

Garnet Price

Jan 3, 2001, 7:18:31 AM1/3/01
Yes I was in Halifax, they have a museum as well, and have the two model ships
there as well. It was really interrwsting to see the diffrence between the two.

Valerio Porta

Jan 3, 2001, 8:26:16 AM1/3/01
New images available in the 1:550 model section...(total 40 imgs)
I tried to add filters on few images to make more realism. (B&W and sepia)
It's also available the famous "last picture taken" (no.33)

My favorites are: the propellers and no.22 (the middle view of the bow)...
And yours?

TOM ELEVEN

Jan 3, 2001, 8:38:40 AM1/3/01
>Hi to everyone!
>>I'm building a 1:250 scale model of the Titanic, completely made of wood a
>>and brass.
>>Once finished it will be 1.07 meters long. I'm assembling the hull right
>>now, it's based on the real drawings of the ship.

I am seriously considering building a wooden model of about the same scale
myself as I too have enough drawings and sectional diagrams to permit me to do
the job. I forsee one problem though. How can one duplicate the effect of
the plating and the rivets on the side of the hull? I am thinking that strips
of heavy paper, applied to the wood substrate and painted over would produce
the plate effect quite nicely, but the rivets are another story. I could use a
pointed tool to make little holes---or depressions, but rivets are raised and
not depressed---and there are thousands and thousands of them. So my model
will wait until I can figure out a way to produce rows of raised "rivets" at
the proper scale and within my lifetime ;-). Suggestions are welcome.

TOM
Thomas M. Ray/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
tome...@aol.com

Michael

Jan 3, 2001, 10:19:14 AM1/3/01
I thought of adding rivets to my own 1:140 scale model, but the task would
have taken a great deal of time to I passed on it. While looking at my model
from across the room, a "scale" distance of say 1000 or 2000 ft, the need to
add thousands of mini rivets seems moot unless you can hire a James Cameron
sized team of craftsmen. Can be done with a syringe and carefully applied
glue drops on finely drawn guidelines, and a steady speedy hand as you want
the rivets the same size, and before the glue decides to dry in the syringe.
:) I did "plate" my hull with scale plastic plates similar to your
discription with heavy paper, a job that was long and tedious enough,
especially when duplicating the complex curved plates in the stern and . I
guess it depends on how much time you can allot to the model, and if you
want to "rivet count proof" it as much as possible from potential
overzealous rivetcounters. :) Lots of ship models look great with a smooth
plateless hull with just portholes, as some older museum and study models
have. The urge to over detail a Titanic model these days is strong, but
trust me it is a long process in a large scale model.. and then comes
scratchbuilding vents and motors, davits and lifeboats.. :) A decade plus
and I'm still working on mine when I can squeeze time in.

Michael
http://members.home.net/ve9rms/titanicmodel.htm

TOM ELEVEN <tome...@aol.com> wrote in message

Hans Engnell

Jan 3, 2001, 3:06:01 PM1/3/01

Dante Scott wrote...

>- Funny, down in San Pedro at the Maritime Museum they have two huge
>models of Titanic and Lusitania side by side. I can't recall the
>scale or the gentleman's name that built them, but I do recall the
>little placard saying something like Titanic took him 5 1/2 years to
>build and Lusitania took him about 6. If anyone's ever in that area,
>stop off and take a look. They're really well done. The starboard
>side of the ships are exterior views and when you move to the port
>side, the inside of each ship is exposed with cabins, engine rooms,
>elevators, coal bins, you name it. A really great job.

Yeah, I know it takes that long time. Me and my father has been building our
model since October 96. We haven´t started with A deck yet. The riveting of
the hull took 18 months.

Best
Hans

Hans Engnell

Jan 3, 2001, 3:14:46 PM1/3/01

TOM ELEVEN wrote<20010103083840...@ng-cg1.aol.com>...

>I am seriously considering building a wooden model of about the same scale
>myself as I too have enough drawings and sectional diagrams to permit me to
do
>the job. I forsee one problem though. How can one duplicate the effect
of
>the plating and the rivets on the side of the hull? I am thinking that
strips
>of heavy paper, applied to the wood substrate and painted over would
produce
>the plate effect quite nicely, but the rivets are another story.I could use

>pointed tool to make little holes---or depressions, but rivets are raised
and
>not depressed---and there are thousands and thousands of them. So my
model
>will wait until I can figure out a way to produce rows of raised "rivets"
at
>the proper scale and within my lifetime ;-). Suggestions are welcome.

On our 1:100 model, we use 0,4 mm plywood as hull plates. Looks pretty good.
The rivets (some hundred thousand of them, I should guess) are a pain in the
*ss, but it works fine with glue, actually. Prepare for a hard time, though,
because you´ll be another person when you´re done... ;=). Trouble sleeping,
dreaming about rivets and hull plates all night, see rivets everywhere you
go etc...

The biggest "problem" when you build a scrath model, however, is that you
have to start from zero. You have a drawing, som plywood and some tools.
Then it´s up to you to make a model of a great steamship of it.

Best
Hans

TOM ELEVEN

Jan 3, 2001, 3:58:24 PM1/3/01
Oh, There is one more problem--on a 1 to 250 scale----Is there a clever way to
make the railings? I know about the trick using straight pins and thread, but
I think that at this scale thread and pins are a bit too thick.

Valerio Porta

Jan 4, 2001, 6:43:19 AM1/4/01
Does anyone know how to make rivets on a 1:250 model?
It's very very early for my model right now, but you know, I have to know
that....any suggestions? Where can I find a detailed map of the thousands
rivets?
^_^

Hans Engnell

Jan 4, 2001, 11:15:23 AM1/4/01

Valerio Porta wrote...

>Does anyone know how to make rivets on a 1:250 model?
>It's very very early for my model right now, but you know, I have to know
>that....any suggestions? Where can I find a detailed map of the thousands
>rivets?

Millions, you mean? We haven愒 made all the rivets on our model, just the
pattern for the hull and not the real number, since that should make them
too small. It wasn愒 possible for us, so it愀 going to be hard for you to
make the rivets in a 1:250 scale. We used pictures, mostly. There are good
pictures of the hull of the Olympic and the Titanic.

Have anyone a good idea how to make black smoke without fire? White smoke is
no problem, but black...?

Best
Hans

Valerio Porta

Jan 4, 2001, 12:34:41 PM1/4/01
And using a needle??
^___^

"Hans Engnell" <fvx...@tninet.se> ha scritto nel messaggio

Hans Engnell

Jan 4, 2001, 3:53:45 PM1/4/01

Valerio Porta wrote...

>And using a needle??
>^___^

Yes, exactly.

Best
Hans

Valerio Porta

Jan 6, 2001, 1:53:43 PM1/6/01
Hi to everyone!!
I have updated the 1:250 scale model page, new pics (still assembling the
hull...), but there is a big news...I built a little
shipyard...hehe...that's not really detailed but it gives the idea...
Anyway, I hope you'll like it...sorry for the slowness in building the
model, I know, but I do it in free time...
^_^