The Definition of "Boi"

Juliette

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
Whilst reading agf over my shoulder, my significant whatever,
Jason, asked me if I considered him a "boi", and if so, exactly
what one is... I consulted the agf faq glossary, but it's not included in
the list of definitions. So, what does the word boi mean to you?

To me, a boi is a man who is not afraid to express the feminine sides to
his look and personality. For example, a boi is someone who is happy to tote
your lipstick for you because he may need to borrow it himself. Also, a boi
is tolerant of other's life-style choices even if he does not choose them
himself. (For example, a straight boi is not homophobic.)

Juliette http://pagina.de/evil

Mairwen

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99

Juliette scribbled in blood:

> So, what does the word boi mean to you?

I've always kinda seen it as a male person with a goth look, no matter
WHICH goth look, whether it's androgynous, or whatever. But also
a male not afraid to let others make their own choices.

F'r instance, my "boi" is in no stretch of the word a "boy". Very manly,
my boi (lol)...but when he goes "goth-y" he's my boi, everytime.

Mairwen

Ruhiel

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie wrote:

> It's another (& more irritating, imo) way to spell "boy".

No, it's not just a spelling. People use it to denote a
specific type of male. Someone who is a little "more" than a
boy. I think Juliette pretty much covered it in her post.

--

~ Ruhiel 668 of Goth
{insert something funny here}

Sk8gundy

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Juliette wrote:
> the list of definitions. So, what does the word boi mean to you?
> To me, a boi is a man who is not afraid to express the feminine sides to
> his look and personality. For example, a boi is someone who is happy to tote
> your lipstick for you because he may need to borrow it himself. Also, a boi
> is tolerant of other's life-style choices even if he does not choose them
> himself. (For example, a straight boi is not homophobic.)

Since I'm not one that actually uses the term - you can take my
reply as a matter of opinion. I've always seen it as a feminist
put-down (but in a good way), like in Vassar where the bathrooms
are labeled "Women" and "Boys"

lXs
listening to Shed Seven

=======****> "What! No rat salad?! This is a day without sunshine."
i of goth Having dreams about a.g.f.'ers? See a.g.f. dreams
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/1629/dreams/dreams.html

Sk8gundy

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
On 24 Feb 1999, Filigree00 wrote:
> I have no idea how the spelling came to be, but I tend to just
> see it as a cute and rather possessive term of endearment.

I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and it stuck
around.

Arbitrary round of attribs.:

MakeUpWhoring - At first I had thought this was Christabel LaMotte's
term, but Leigh Gardner told me that Jillian (then) Sutter
was the first to write it in a post

*bounce* *bounce* - This term first appeared on a post when gundy
(Sande's bear) was trying to finagle gundytreats from
brahman. Although these posts were not saved, this
started what would eventually be called the gundysaga,
a long story abt gundies trying to stop the Evil Hoppy
Things from stealing their *bounce* *bounce*

perkygoff - comes from Joel Metz, who wrote the Perkygoff
Manifesto

Cleavage of Doom [TM] - first attributed to Asharte, who
listed on a post the great number of items that
could be stashed in her cleavage.

... any other a.g.f. history questions?

Trystan L. Bass

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
Daednu <dae...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sk8gundy wrote:
> > Since I'm not one that actually uses the term - you can take my
> > reply as a matter of opinion. I've always seen it as a feminist
> > put-down (but in a good way), like in Vassar where the bathrooms
> > are labeled "Women" and "Boys"
>

> NOT at all! Why would we refer to our husbands/partners as our bois if
> it was a derogatory term? Note that we say "boi" not "boy".

You bet! I've always thot of "boi" as simply a male creature who you like
and think is cute (and everyone has their own definition of "cute", but in
my world, it's not just reserved for babies and bunnies). No particular
style or look is required, tho' certainly goth on a boi is admired ;->

--T.
(who really isn't as cutesy offline as I am online;
same goes for perky)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Trystan L. Bass @-->--- www.toreadors.com
a.g.f.faq.chick gothic martha stewart
ebay sales at http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/toreadorbat/

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:16:02 -0600, "Juliette" <julie...@yahoo.com>
fpevooyrq onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

[snip]

It's another (& more irritating, imo) way to spell "boy".

HTH,

____Lord Carrie, Keeper of the Foetal Spelling, Pr0tekt0r of the Realm____
| | |
|"When I left you, I was but a user. |Oh no! My site ran away! Have you |
| Now, _I_ have r00t." -Minwee |seen it? Oh, my precious baby!!! |

Filigree00

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Mairwen wrote:

>>Juliette scribbled in blood: So, what does the word boi
>>mean to you?

>I've always kinda seen it as a male person with a goth look,

>no matter WHICH goth look, whether it's androgynous, or
>whatever.

I have no idea how the spelling came to be, but I tend to just

see it as a cute and rather possessive term of endearment.

>F'r instance, my "boi" is in no stretch of the word a "boy".

>Very manly, my boi (lol)...but when he goes "goth-y" he's
>my boi, everytime.

My SO is also very manly =: ) I can't even bring myself to call him a boi
except when he gets all gothed up, then whoo-boi, I melt!!

filigree

msa...@andrew.cmu.edu

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
In article <elkXCr4X#GA.250@upnetnews05>,

"Juliette" <julie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Whilst reading agf over my shoulder, my significant whatever,
> Jason, asked me if I considered him a "boi", and if so, exactly
> what one is... I consulted the agf faq glossary, but it's not included in
> the list of definitions. So, what does the word boi mean to you?
>
> To me, a boi is a man who is not afraid to express the feminine sides to
> his look and personality. For example, a boi is someone who is happy to tote
> your lipstick for you because he may need to borrow it himself. Also, a boi
> is tolerant of other's life-style choices even if he does not choose them
> himself. (For example, a straight boi is not homophobic.)

Wow. I think you hit the nail on the head. Although I think I would add one
thing. Anyone who's a "boi" to me is usually a close friend or boyfriend, so
a "boi" is also someone with close emotional ties to yourself. i.e., I
wouldn't call a random goth guy "boi" ^_^

Megan

Megan Sawyer "It's a world unlike anything I've
msa...@andrew.cmu.edu ever seen, And as hard as I try
www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~msawyer I can't seem to describe - Like
^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ a most improbable dream" -NMBC

Daednu

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Sk8gundy wrote:
> Since I'm not one that actually uses the term - you can take my
> reply as a matter of opinion. I've always seen it as a feminist
> put-down (but in a good way), like in Vassar where the bathrooms
> are labeled "Women" and "Boys"

NOT at all! Why would we refer to our husbands/partners as our bois if
it was a derogatory term? Note that we say "boi" not "boy".

*Daednu
~ I wear glitter on the outside ~
~ 'cause glitter is how I feel on the inside. ~
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=daednu

Leigh Gardner

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:

: MakeUpWhoring - At first I had thought this was Christabel LaMotte's

: term, but Leigh Gardner told me that Jillian (then) Sutter
: was the first to write it in a post

no, it was Twilight, in a post called "makeupwhores unite!", where she
talked about the *need* for multiple shades of purple nailie. Everyone
just assumed it was Christabel, cause she always knew *exactly* what
makeup would do for any occassion. Jilli might have liked the term as
well, but I believe it was Twi who coined that phrase.

: *bounce* *bounce*
<snip>

: perkygoff
<snip>

: Cleavage of Doom [TM]
<snip>

geez, I remember all three of these tied together in threads about gundies
wondering if there were gundytreats in the COD...

which reminds me- I haven't seen moses here in *ages*- I guess that's what
happens when you grow up and get married. good thing I'll never grow up
</Peter Pan>.

hmm..who else do I remember...? moses, katydid, Cairo, Christabel- prolly
scads more that I just can't think of at the moment.

"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"^"
Leigh M. Gardner, English Major, Celtic Studies Concentration
http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~lgardner
Away, come away: Empty your heart of its mortal dream. -Yeats

Luluwhite

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
juliette wrote

> So, what does the word boi mean to you?

I always thought a boi was a girl with diff'rent nether parts.

mare

has a man, not a boi, heh!

BIuAngI

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Juliette wrote:

>> So, what does the word boi mean to you?

Ermmmm... to be, calling someone a boi has always been a term of endearment.
All my friends that happen to be guys are bois. Boyfriends fall under this
category too, only they're usually promoted to "my boi" or something of the
like. It's just a little term of affection I use, since I don't really use
much, except for calling friends that are girls silly little things (sex
kitten? cleavage goddess? *giggle*)

Jamie *I don't want to go to work... pout*
The AGF eBay Webring:
http://www.angelfire.com/md/blueangel/agf.html

cru...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

> Sk8gundy wrote:
> > Since I'm not one that actually uses the term - you can take my
> > reply as a matter of opinion. I've always seen it as a feminist
> > put-down (but in a good way), like in Vassar where the bathrooms
> > are labeled "Women" and "Boys"

<Daednu answered>

> NOT at all! Why would we refer to our husbands/partners as our bois if
> it was a derogatory term? Note that we say "boi" not "boy".

you know, i don't use the term either, and that's how i read it as well:
a sort of fond, ironic, but essentially dismissive way of referring to
a significant other as sort of eye-candy or arm-trophy or dress-up doll
(especially given the "how do i get my boi who won't to wear make-up?"
thread--which i admit i read very little of).

my $.02

--crush

LucastaSin

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Daednu wrote:

>NOT at all! Why would we refer to our husbands/partners as our bois if
>it was a derogatory term? Note that we say "boi" not "boy".

I agree. I tend to most oft use it when talking about *my boi* as an
affectionate term. Or if I ask a girlfriend "So hows your boi?" in writing or
whatever, I think to most people I know, they recognise it as a term referring
to their S.O.

I think though that it is funny that when I once used a spelling on agf that
can be taken as being feminist, "Womyn", ( just because I like it, I also use
chick a lot, heh) ....I got jumped on in a dominantly female News Group!!

~Lucasta~
------------------
How to dye/dress/shop Gothic & more!! The AGF FAQ:
http://www.toreadors.com/gothfash Your Gothic Fashion Bible
"Well, I don't want to end up being a media whore; and all that. I want to be a
positive and negative symbol at the same time. Make any sense?"

Ulalme

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

then Ruthiel wrote:

<No, it's not just a spelling. People use it to denote a
specific type of male. Someone who is a little "more" than a
boy. I think Juliette pretty much covered it in her post.>

Eh, I disagree. When I started using it wayyy back after
copying off others on Compuserve (what was that, 1992? '93?
something like that) it was simply another spelling for boi.
But then again, I'm not the best person to ask, since I use all
sorts of "irritating" spellings like gerl, grrrl, gurl, womyn, humyn,
wimmin, etc. But I don't really mean anything by it - it's just a
habit I've done since like, 1991.

Why not just take every usage with a grain of salt? I hardly
think an alternate spelling of a word can be argued about.
Then again, when "boi" is used in conjunction with "lippie" -
it does make me roll my eyes. (or *bouncebounce, for that
matter.) MHO.

.vivian.
.o rose, thou art sick.
http://osf1.gmu.edu/~vsarratt/

Sk8gundy

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Daednu wrote:
> Sk8gundy wrote:
> > Since I'm not one that actually uses the term - you can take my
> > reply as a matter of opinion. I've always seen it as a feminist
> > put-down (but in a good way), like in Vassar where the bathrooms
> > are labeled "Women" and "Boys"
> NOT at all! Why would we refer to our husbands/partners as our bois if
> it was a derogatory term? Note that we say "boi" not "boy".

I don't mean that it's derogatory, just a joke, one that the
s.o.'s participate in.... Open to interpretation, isn't
it?

Q: How do we say "boi" differently from "boy"?

I've noticed that Mare always referred to her s.o. as the 'man'

Penny Dreadful

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
<julie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Whilst reading agf over my shoulder, my significant whatever,
> Jason, asked me if I considered him a "boi", and if so, exactly
> what one is... I consulted the agf faq glossary, but it's not included in
> the list of definitions. So, what does the word boi mean to you?
>
> To me, a boi is a man who is not afraid to express the feminine sides to
> his look and personality. For example, a boi is someone who is happy to tote
> your lipstick for you because he may need to borrow it himself. Also, a boi
> is tolerant of other's life-style choices even if he does not choose them
> himself. (For example, a straight boi is not homophobic.)

To me, a boi is a boy or a youngish man. A person of the male gender, but
not, like, my dad.

"Boi" w/ a capital "B", however, usually is defined as: The male sigO of
the speaker as in, "I wanted to go off my diet last night, but Boi was
good and refused to order pizza."

Funny how I refer to female people over the age of 14 as "women" and men
under the age of 40 "bois".

love love love--
Penny Dreadful

"It's all about. . .lots of hair for spring. Isn't it
a hoot to think about getting hair extensions?"
--Harper's Bazaar

VIRTUAL YARD SALE: http://www.cris.com/~jeniphir/4sale.html

Sk8gundy

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On 24 Feb 1999, Leigh Gardner wrote:

> Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:
> : MakeUpWhoring - At first I had thought this was Christabel LaMotte's
> : term, but Leigh Gardner told me that Jillian (then) Sutter
> : was the first to write it in a post
> no, it was Twilight, in a post called "makeupwhores unite!", where she
> talked about the *need* for multiple shades of purple nailie. Everyone
> just assumed it was Christabel, cause she always knew *exactly* what
> makeup would do for any occassion. Jilli might have liked the term as
> well, but I believe it was Twi who coined that phrase.

Which Twilight? The one in N.O. or the one in AZ?

> which reminds me- I haven't seen moses here in *ages*- I guess that's what
> happens when you grow up and get married. good thing I'll never grow up
> </Peter Pan>.

I'm planning to see moses next week. I assume she'll be at C5 too.
She was just in New Orleans abt a wk ago. When she did post on
USENET last year, it was mostly to a.g.

> hmm..who else do I remember...? moses, katydid, Cairo, Christabel- prolly
> scads more that I just can't think of at the moment.

Cairo, I haven't heard from in a while. When I called, her answering
machine said she was on a cruise near Greece.

I saw Katydid a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen her in a long time.

Siani - she's engaged.

Asharte - she took a month off for holiday; she's back at
Microsoft working.

Christabel - well, she's closer to you than me.

Looking for Persephone and Heather Rose.

lXs
listening to Shed Seven

P.S. Have you read silentq's '95 88 Lines for 44 Goth Queens?
(on her web page)

oddlystrange is like second on the list, Siani is way in the
beginning, Heather Rose and katydid is in mid-beginning and
I think I'm in the center or near the end

I was reading this post from March 1996... Basically, I had posted:
Where's the FAQ? Where's the FAQ? etc. I talked to Trystan at
the San Jose meet and she said she posted it. And Siani had replied:
I haven't seen it. etc. And moses had posted: That makes the
three of us. etc I thought it was amusing in a nostalgic way.

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:05:15 -0500, Ruhiel <Ruh...@prodigy.net>
fpevooyrq onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

:No, it's not just a spelling. People use it to denote a
:specific type of male.

I wasn't aware there was a set definition.
That is _my_ definition.

:I think Juliette pretty much covered it in her post.

That's her definition.

Sk8gundy

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On 24 Feb 1999, LucastaSin wrote:
> I think though that it is funny that when I once used a spelling on agf that
> can be taken as being feminist, "Womyn", ( just because I like it, I also use
> chick a lot, heh) ....I got jumped on in a dominantly female News Group!!

jumped on?

lXs
listening to Shed Seven

who doesn't think there's anything wrong w/ 'womyn'

BIuAngI

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

Then Skerry Carrie wrote:

>That's her definition.

If you don't mind me asking, what is yours? I'm not sure you should be snipping
about details like that (and it seemed like a snippy one-liner to me, no
offense), if you don't really provide any of your own input. Just something to
roll over in your mind for the time being.

Jamie *not trying to be mean*

The Painted One

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Sk8gundy wrote in message ...

>> I think though that it is funny that when I once used a spelling on agf
that
>> can be taken as being feminist, "Womyn", ( just because I like it, I
also use
>> chick a lot, heh) ....I got jumped on in a dominantly female News Group!!
>
>jumped on?

Are there any pictures? ;-)

TPO

--
NOPSP...@itdudley.demon.co.uk Remove NOPSPAM_ to reply.
'then as now, tis simple truth

The Painted One

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Is a Boi on a NG a
BoiNG ?

|-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

Daednu

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
The Painted One wrote:
> Is a Boi on a NG a
> BoiNG ?
> |-)
> Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

YOU, sir, are fluff man!

*Sister Bethany Daednu (having quite a good giggle with your posts)

BIuAngI

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

The Painted One wrote:

>Are there any pictures? ;-)

If so, can I see? =P

Jamie *sorry for the one liner, but this is just too funny... I nearly spit
diet coke all over the computer screen LOL*

The AGF FAQ: The Gothic Clothes Bible
http://www.toreadors.com/gothfash/faq.html

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On 24 Feb 1999 02:36:51 GMT, filig...@aol.com (Filigree00) fpevooyrq
onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

:I have no idea how the spelling came to be, but I tend to just

:see it as a cute and rather possessive term of endearment.

Yep. Just a cutesy way to say 'guy'.

This has been bothering me a lot, lately.. people taking
words & skewing them into things that they aren't and
haven't ever been. ie- "perky goth". Most people don't
understand that it's not some goth who is in a perpetual
state of happyhappyspeedygigglegleehappyjoyjoytoomuchsugar.

This isn't to say that people can't form their own definitions
of a word, nononono, not at all. I do it all the time myself.

But in the case of the young gothling who tried to force her
bubblegum & candycane version of 'perkygoth' down my throat,
insisting that that was the only definition there ever was,
there is no room for diplomacy.

YMMV,
Carrie

The Painted One

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Daednu wrote in message <36D42E3B...@hotmail.com>...

>YOU, sir, are fluff man!

Holds his hands up in meek surender, I shall
change my tag to The Fluffy One, forthwith. :-)

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:46:31 -0600, Sk8gundy
<sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org> fpevooyrq onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

:I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and it stuck
:around.

Oh, it's been around a lot longer than that! :o

::waves to Pawpii::

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On 24 Feb 1999 02:36:51 GMT, filig...@aol.com (Filigree00) fpevooyrq
onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

:I have no idea how the spelling came to be, but I tend to just

:see it as a cute and rather possessive term of endearment.

And I replied w/:

:Yep. Just a cutesy way to say 'guy'.

What I meant to post (bad editing/proofreading job) was:

Yep. Just a cutesy way to say 'guy', or 'my boy/SO'.

Coffee! Bring coffee!

SaraiCat

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

> skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie wrote:
>
> > It's another (& more irritating, imo) way to spell "boy".
>

> No, it's not just a spelling. People use it to denote a

> specific type of male. Someone who is a little "more" than a

> boy. I think Juliette pretty much covered it in her post.

Er, I think the original question was, "what does the term 'boi' mean to you?"

Personally, I agree with Carrie. The term doesn't have any deep meaning
to me, it's just cutesy. *shrug*

-Sarai

--
"All you do is head straight for the grave, a face just covers
a skull a while. Stretch that skull-cover and smile." ~Kerouac

Marjorie Peck

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

Juliette wrote:

> Whilst reading agf over my shoulder, my significant whatever,
> Jason, asked me if I considered him a "boi", and if so, exactly
> what one is... I consulted the agf faq glossary, but it's not included in
> the list of definitions. So, what does the word boi mean to you?

I always just thought of it as slang for a cute male. The sort of slang that
tends to be specific to a certain group that springs up and gets adopted by old
and new members alike. I personally don't use it, because I don't
use any odd spellings for words that already have a correct spelling. Like Kaos,
or Purty. I understand that other people do and that's fine, doesn't bother me.
I put it down to the fact
that in school Spelling was the only thing I ever got good grades on.
But hey, whatever the spelling, I think I've decided I like men over boys.
Because I feel womanly around men, I feel motherly around boys. ;-)

-Marjorie, saving myself for John Cusack (who looks very manly in G.P.B.)

Leigh Gardner

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:
: > : MakeUpWhoring - At first I had thought this was Christabel LaMotte's
: > : term, but Leigh Gardner told me that Jillian (then) Sutter
: > : was the first to write it in a post
: > no, it was Twilight, in a post called "makeupwhores unite!"
<snip>
: Which Twilight? The one in N.O. or the one in AZ?

I forget- she signed that post with:

Whips and Kisses--
Twilight, who bought a new stick of her favourite eyeliner, 5 new
purple and silver eyeshadows, and a really cool bottle of blue
nailpolish
with silver glitter in it
*bounce!*
--
~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
"I'll drink the moonlight from your hands.

...if that helps at all.

: I'm planning to see moses next week. I assume she'll be at C5 too.

: She was just in New Orleans abt a wk ago. When she did post on
: USENET last year, it was mostly to a.g.

I thought I saw her there [a.g].
shame I can't afford a Convergence- I'd love to meet a lot of agfers.

: I saw Katydid a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen her in a long time.

that's right- I remember yr post.

: Siani - she's engaged.

eep! the girl who loves hedgehogs engaged! wow!

: Christabel - well, she's closer to you than me.

I really wish I'd have met her while she was still in Philly. some of us
managed to do so, though.

: P.S. Have you read silentq's '95 88 Lines for 44 Goth Queens?
: (on her web page)

: oddlystrange is like second on the list, Siani is way in the
: beginning, Heather Rose and katydid is in mid-beginning and
: I think I'm in the center or near the end

ooh, no- I should look that up.

: I was reading this post from March 1996... Basically, I had posted:

: Where's the FAQ? Where's the FAQ? etc. I talked to Trystan at
: the San Jose meet and she said she posted it. And Siani had replied:
: I haven't seen it. etc. And moses had posted: That makes the
: three of us. etc I thought it was amusing in a nostalgic way.

old posts are definitely amusing. and they were easier to keep track of-
I remember agf getting ~30 posts/day sometimes.

LadyRhye

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On 24 Feb 1999 19:11:11 GMT, lgar...@force.stwing.upenn.edu (Leigh
Gardner) wrote:

>>Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:
>>: Which Twilight? The one in N.O. or the one in AZ?
>I forget- she signed that post with:
>Whips and Kisses--

Uhmmm.. That should be the NO Twilight.. the Az twilight tended to
send as twilitght (with a little "t") after discovering that there was
another Twi.

-LR-

From An Interview with Dir en grey:
reporter: If you were a gal for one day, what would you want to do?
Die: I think put on make up.
reporter: I thought you always do that?
Die: (laughs) It is so, isn't it? Then I will go buy undergarments.

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On 24 Feb 1999 16:40:07 GMT, biu...@aol.compost (BIuAngI) fpevooyrq
onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

:If you don't mind me asking, what is yours?

I believe I've answered that question already.

:I'm not sure you should be snipping

:about details like that (and it seemed like a snippy one-liner to me, no
:offense),

Why are you trying to inject emotion & intent into my words?

:if you don't really provide any of your own input. Just something to
:roll over in your mind for the time being.

I've said this before on many occasions, but it bears repeating:
I'm not going to pepper my posts with smilies and ascii-hearts just
so other people can feel comfortable. I'm matter-of-fact, I try not
to dress things up in too much fluffy goodness, and that isn't going
to change.

Carrie, spartan.

the Gruamach

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:16:02 -0600, "Juliette" <julie...@yahoo.com>
mumbled:

> To me, a boi is a man who is not afraid to express the feminine sides to
>his look and personality. For example, a boi is someone who is happy to tote

Not quite that....gender-based, really.

Not so much a guy who's capable of being "feminine", but just a
simple:
Male who is considered both cute and also likable at the same time.

Charles/the Gruamach, http://home.stlnet.com/~gothcop
Alt.Gothic's own Garibaldi and expecting DaddyGoth
aka "Baron D'Gru, Sheriff of Gothingham, Holy Keeper of
Gothic Donuts, High Protector of Sarkygoff and King of AGP"

Antonio

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
SaraiCat said

>Er, I think the original question was, "what does the term 'boi' mean to
you?"

>Personally, I agree with Carrie. The term doesn't have any deep meaning
>to me, it's just cutesy. *shrug*

I agree with nobody!
'Boi' is from the, err, Latin slang word for 'Guy who wants to be cute but
needs to apply lots of make-up in order to do so because let's face it, with
a little body like that it's the only way he's going to get a snog'.

Don't look it up in your Latin text-books, as I said it's a Latin slang
term.

Honest.

And Penny Dreadful said -

>Funny how I refer to female people over the age of 14 as "women" and men
>under the age of 40 "bois".

That's b/c we're all childish.
I personally like the word boi - just b/c to me it sounds funny.

BTW - Yes, I came back - I was missing it here a lot more than I ever
thought I would :)

Antonio,
um.. appearently 'Goth Boi Babe of the Week', and doesn't know whether to be
flattered or embarrassed..

People didn't know whether they wanted to marry me,
murder me or mother me... (Marc Almond)
================================
http://www.goffboi.freeserve.co.uk
AIM - Antscan

AngelDye

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Sk8gundy wrote:

> I don't mean that it's derogatory, just a joke, one that the
> s.o.'s participate in.... Open to interpretation, isn't
> it?
>
> Q: How do we say "boi" differently from "boy"?
>
> I've noticed that Mare always referred to her s.o. as the 'man'

hey, I've got another Q: When saying the word Boi do you visualize it?
Cus I swear it seems when ever *I* say it I can see a thought bubble
with the word in some dopey lil' font.

ok, maybe this is just me. i don't even have a Boi so the point is moot.

Becca
--
-:*:*:pi of goth:*:*:-
*****************************

Basingstoke

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Antonio wrote:

> BTW - Yes, I came back - I was missing it here a lot more than I ever
> thought I would :)

woo!

> Antonio,
> um.. appearently 'Goth Boi Babe of the Week', and doesn't know whether to be
> flattered or embarrassed..

be flattered! be flattered!

:)

it's a cute picture. but why aren't you smiling?

Basinke
(who would post the URL, but got there through another site...)

Basingstoke

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Sk8gundy wrote:

> On 24 Feb 1999, Filigree00 wrote:
> > I have no idea how the spelling came to be, but I tend to just
> > see it as a cute and rather possessive term of endearment.
>
> I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and it stuck
> around.

I really don't think this is exclusive to agf though. More of a
net.goth thing. I picked it up from a net.goth friend who to my
knowledge has never been on agf. It was in frequent use on a
separate IRC channel.

Basinke
who used to wonder how her friend could spend an hour on the comp in
the lab. and who now wonders how she ever managed to get off.

greensea

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Basingstoke wrote:

> Sk8gundy wrote:
> >
> > On 24 Feb 1999, Filigree00 wrote:
> > > I have no idea how the spelling came to be, but I tend to just
> > > see it as a cute and rather possessive term of endearment.
> >
> > I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and it stuck
> > around.
>
> I really don't think this is exclusive to agf though. More of a
> net.goth thing. I picked it up from a net.goth friend who to my
> knowledge has never been on agf. It was in frequent use on a
> separate IRC channel.

No, it's certainly not an agf-only thing. My roomie was the first
one I ever saw spelling 'boi,' and that was in 1994-5. And as much
as I adore her, I'm sure she didn't think of it herself.

- greensea
(realizing she's full of totally useless 1-liners tonight,
but doesn't care much; but thinks 'joi' and 'gai' are
mechagothpowertron-originated terms)

--
b...@ici.net * http://home.ici.net/~bhs/
agf's faqs of life -- http://www.toreadors.com/gothfash/

Ice Princess

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie wrote:

> Gothskins? Is that like a blackened potato skin?

Yes. But it would be served with lots of ham.

;P

Ice Princess
who is also in desperate need of some sleep...

Ice Princess icp...@blarg.net http://www.blarg.net/~icprncs/
"Go-to" gal for Atomic Hyrax Games http://www.atomichyrax.com/
"Warm...salty...never dulll--that's Lisa." "Or microwave popcorn."
--"News Radio"

BIuAngI

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

Skerry Carrie wrote:

>I believe I've answered that question already.

Yes, you did, which kind of makes that question irrelevant.

Skerry Carrie wrote again:

>I've said this before on many occasions, but it bears repeating:
>I'm not going to pepper my posts with smilies and ascii-hearts just
>so other people can feel comfortable. I'm matter-of-fact, I try not
>to dress things up in too much fluffy goodness, and that isn't going
>to change.

Didn't say you had to change, just was wondering why you didn't offer any of
your own input at that moment, and you did it later. So sue me for actually
LIKING to hear what other people think on matters. If it bothers you that much
to have somebody ask your opinion, I won't do it again. =) Subject is now
closed.

Jamie *not not not NOT being mean, even if it seems like I am because I'm not a
mean person*

QgreaserQ

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99

> Whilst reading agf over my shoulder, my significant whatever,
>Jason, asked me if I considered him a "boi", and if so, exactly
>what one is..

Look at the last 2 letters. "Oi". Oi is a skinhead term. NOT a goth term.

Luluwhite

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
sande wrote

>> I've noticed that Mare always referred to her s.o. as the 'man'

he's ten years older than me! He's the man- when I'm not calling him "Him". Of
course, he could call me "boi", anyday. hehe

Actually, the word MAN is one of those weird words- like mittens? man man man

remember that hen in the froghorn leghorn cartoons? A ...MA-ANN!

mare

rambling

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:19:32 -0000, "Antonio"
<ant...@goffboi.freeserve.co.uk> fpevooyrq onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

:I agree with nobody!

That is, of course, because boi..

_IS A STATE OF MIND_. ;D

<cue spooky music>

Carrie :D

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On 25 Feb 1999 00:43:52 GMT, qgre...@aol.com (QgreaserQ) fpevooyrq
onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

:Look at the last 2 letters. "Oi". Oi is a skinhead term. NOT a goth term.

I don't think that "oi" or "oy" has anything to do w/ the word "boi".

"oi"/"oy" is also frequently used by the punk crowd.

Carrie (who knows more than a few skinheads who identify strongly
with th' goth subculture. Heyyy. That's IT! Bois=Gothskins. There
ya go, question answered, problem solved. ;) {Gothskins? Is that like
a blackened potato skin? i should sleep.})

unse...@gothic.net

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.99022...@freebird.ghofn.org>,
Sk8gundy <sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org> wrote:

> On 24 Feb 1999, Leigh Gardner wrote:
>
> > Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:
> > : MakeUpWhoring - At first I had thought this was Christabel LaMotte's
> > : term, but Leigh Gardner told me that Jillian (then) Sutter
> > : was the first to write it in a post
> > no, it was Twilight, in a post called "makeupwhores unite!", where she
> > talked about the *need* for multiple shades of purple nailie. Everyone
> > just assumed it was Christabel, cause she always knew *exactly* what
> > makeup would do for any occassion. Jilli might have liked the term as
> > well, but I believe it was Twi who coined that phrase.

> Which Twilight? The one in N.O. or the one in AZ?

I *think* it was TwiTwi in N.O. who coined MakeUpWhores.
And I *think* (but am willing to bet that I'm wrong)
that I was the first one to pop up with the
"Boots first, THEN corset" rule.

(Tangent warning)

I've recently started peering into a.g. again. Christobel is posting
sporadically, and it was nice to read some of TSM's posts. But I don't think
I'll end up reading a.g. with the same thoroughness that I do a.g.f.

ObGothFash: um...I bought silk hydrangia blossoms today at Pottery Barn. I'm
going to use them to decorate some hats...Oh, and I'm trying to decide if a
dash of green eyeshadow (as in the look that Vampire Willow on last night's
Buffy was wearing) would look good on me.

-Jilli, rambling. Mmmm...decongestants...

BIuAngI

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
>> Antonio,
>> um.. appearently 'Goth Boi Babe of the Week', and doesn't know whether to
>be
>> flattered or embarrassed..

LOL hun, be flattered. Only pretty bois get put up on those, ya know.

Jamie *fluff fluff fluff*

Sk8gundy

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99

> <sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org> fpevooyrq onpxjneqf sbe fngna:
> :I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and it stuck
> :around.

> Oh, it's been around a lot longer than that! :o

I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and
it stuck around on a.g.f.

lXs
listening to Shed Seven

=======****> "What! No rat salad?! This is a day without sunshine."
i of goth Having dreams about a.g.f.'ers? See a.g.f. dreams
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/1629/dreams/dreams.html

Daednu

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Sk8gundy wrote:
> I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and
> it stuck around on a.g.f.

Actually, I had a think about the first time I used boi. It was the
coolest thing to me when I started using it...and that was 8 years ago.
Youch! My friend Jen from school used it and I kinda...well...stole the
term. We'd write notes and she's spell "boi" and we'd use the term while
talking.
Again, it was in a loving way. As in "ooooh that boi there is cute!"

*Daednu
~ I wear glitter on the outside ~
~ 'cause glitter is how I feel on the inside. ~
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=daednu

Sk8gundy

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On 24 Feb 1999, Leigh Gardner wrote:

> Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:
> <snip>

> : Which Twilight? The one in N.O. or the one in AZ?
> I forget- she signed that post with:
> Whips and Kisses--

<snipped Twilight's .sig>

> ...if that helps at all.

*sigh* Can't recall. I tend to think that it was the one
in N.O. I think the one in AZ decided it would be less
confusing if she signed her posts with a lower case t.

<moses>

> I thought I saw her there [a.g].
> shame I can't afford a Convergence- I'd love to meet a lot of agfers.

She might be lurking on a.g.f. I just talked to her on the phone
and she talked about the goth Collective.

> : Siani - she's engaged.
> eep! the girl who loves hedgehogs engaged! wow!

To Touchshriek, do you remember him?

> old posts are definitely amusing. and they were easier to keep track of-
> I remember agf getting ~30 posts/day sometimes.

Yes. And around that time, it was still gundies everywhere
(makes gundy feel at home - but he misses the Screaming
Blue Pterodactly terribly) We saw a gummi pterodactyl and
thought about buying it.

lXs (And gundy)
who wonders if BubbleGund Wash would help gundy's grey
splotches.
whose gundy sez: "I'm not gray! I'm a goth gundy."

Sk8gundy

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On 25 Feb 1999, Luluwhite wrote:
> sande wrote
> >> I've noticed that Mare always referred to her s.o. as the 'man'
> he's ten years older than me! He's the man- when I'm not calling him "Him". Of
> course, he could call me "boi", anyday. hehe

I never thought age had anything to do with it... When someone got
p.o.'d abt the salutation "kiddies" I remarked that I call everyone
kiddies, even those older than me! But I haven't used "kiddies"
for a while now...

lXs
listening to Shed Seven,
who's wond'ring who to e-mail for music suggestions bec. she
now has an editor who won't mind her reviewing whatever she
wants... but sadly, her book of record company numbers and
contacts (wah) is in storage in CA

who learned that it's illegal to make love on a parked
motorcycle in London (not that I've tried to lately)

mor...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Actually, I thought boi was just a shortened and goffy version of
boyfriend. My "boi" has no fashion sense and still wears the
clothes his mom bought for him years ago. (DAMN! WHY DIDN'T I
JUST GET HIM THAT PURIN SWEATSHIRT, ANYWAY?) But, honestly,
I started using it more often because SO often rubs me the
wrong way... but that's just my brain working dubiously [1].

Morella

sign my slambook!
http://www.slambook.com/slambooks/viewsb.asp?sb=morella

[1] I like significant other as a technical term, but the
abbreviation S.O. reminds me of Soho, which I've never
been to, but as a name irks me greasily. It also reminds
me of So-Co, an abbreviation for Southern Comfort which
I find ghastly in taste and form, as well as an evil
song by glam-rock band Sweet F.A. (although amusing).

Penny Dreadful

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
In article <19990224194352...@ng108.aol.com>,
qgre...@aol.com (QgreaserQ) wrote:

> > Whilst reading agf over my shoulder, my significant whatever,
> >Jason, asked me if I considered him a "boi", and if so, exactly
> >what one is..
>

> Look at the last 2 letters. "Oi". Oi is a skinhead term. NOT a goth term.

Well, forgive us. You are clearly 13 and *very* wrapped up in keeping
subcultures separate.

I'm reminded of Emo Phillips' old comedy bit about "You're a Baptist? I'm
a Baptist, too! Are you a Northern Baptist or a Southern Baptist? Are you
a Southern Fundamentalist Baptist or a Southern Reformed Baptist? Are you
a Charismatic Southern Fundamentalist Baptist or. . .?"

love love lvoe--
Penny Dreadful
has too many comedy bits rattling
around her inside her skull

"Why are the pretty ones always insane?"
--Chief Wiggum

VIRTUAL YARD SALE: http://www.cris.com/~jeniphir/4sale.html

Leigh Gardner

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:
: > : Siani - she's engaged.

: > eep! the girl who loves hedgehogs engaged! wow!

: To Touchshriek, do you remember him?

yup, I do. I also remeber cries of "Dinsdale!" on agf. =)

: > old posts are definitely amusing. and they were easier to keep track of-

: > I remember agf getting ~30 posts/day sometimes.

: Yes. And around that time, it was still gundies everywhere
: (makes gundy feel at home - but he misses the Screaming
: Blue Pterodactly terribly) We saw a gummi pterodactyl and
: thought about buying it.

there really were gundies everywhere. I remember trying to read that for
a while, even though I'm not a perky- I thought it was cute, and prolly
just really thought the whole CoD thing was funny.

I also remember whole Vamp threads (the makeup, not the night creatures!)

for some OT-ness, speaking of Vamp and makeup, Evil Willow looks damn
good. Green/yellow eyeshadow is something I never thought would look good
on ppl, but it worked great on AH. </Buffystuff>

back to this thread though, I remember when I actually *read* that "what
are you wearing today?" threads. These days, I kinda filter through them
to read what a few ppl have on, but more often than not, I killfile those
threads. they're right up there for me now w/nailpolish polls and shampoo
recommendations or even the vegan docs thread. =P

Ratty

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
In article <36D4E9B7...@hotmail.com>, Daednu <dae...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sk8gundy wrote:
> > I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and
> > it stuck around on a.g.f.
>
> Actually, I had a think about the first time I used boi. It was the
> coolest thing to me when I started using it...and that was 8 years ago.
> Youch! My friend Jen from school used it and I kinda...well...stole the
> term. We'd write notes and she's spell "boi" and we'd use the term while
> talking.
> Again, it was in a loving way. As in "ooooh that boi there is cute!"

I think i first started hearing it in 90 or so, as a match to grrrl.
"grrrl" and "boi". i always thought it was a riotgrrrl thing. whoops.

-ratty

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
"What time are we upon and where do I belong?" -Witchbaby, F.L. Block
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.necrosis.org/boneyard -+- virtual gothie spanky fresh yard sale

Basingstoke

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Ratty wrote:

> I think i first started hearing it in 90 or so, as a match to grrrl.
> "grrrl" and "boi". i always thought it was a riotgrrrl thing. whoops.

Maybe it's just a subculture thing? This is getting interesting...

I do like the grrl-boi pair. Put the masculine in the feminine and
vice versa.

Basinke

Antonio

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99

Basingstoke wrote

>Antonio wrote:
>
>> BTW - Yes, I came back - I was missing it here a lot more than I ever
>> thought I would :)
>
>woo!
>
>> Antonio,
>> um.. appearently 'Goth Boi Babe of the Week', and doesn't know whether to
be
>> flattered or embarrassed..
>
>be flattered! be flattered!
>
>:)
>
>it's a cute picture. but why aren't you smiling?

I was concentrating - i took the pic myself, holding the camera at arms
length...

>Basinke
>(who would post the URL, but got there through another site...)

The URL is http://www.nycgoth.com/~gothboi
But I still find it embarrassing :P
Nobody *ever* calls me a babe IRL...

Antonio

Pollex Xi

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
In article <7b14ur$ni8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
cru...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> you know, i don't use the term either, and that's how i read it as well:
> a sort of fond, ironic, but essentially dismissive way of referring to
> a significant other as sort of eye-candy or arm-trophy or dress-up doll

Hrm.. I've never thought of it that way.

I generally think of a "boi" as being either a close male friend, someone
you're sweet on, or your SO, but what makes them count as a "boi" and not
"guy", "fella" (which I also tend to use.. though where the heck I picked it
up is a mystery), or "boy" is that they're generally sweeter / nicer / cuter
/ perkier than your average male.

A "boi" will watch cartoons with you, go for moonlit walks with you, have
tickle wars with you; they're not caught up in trying to be "manly" and
aren't afraid to have fun. As of yet, I've only dated two "bois". One was
my First Love (tm), and the other (whom I've only recently started seeing) is
one of the best friends I've ever had.

~Pollex Xi~
(who personally, hates when someone refers to their SO as "my man")
The Poster Formerly Known As Useless @~*;-)
http://members.tripod.com/~UselessBeauty

Sk8gundy

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
> Sk8gundy wrote:
> > I would say that it was GothFaeri's spelling and
> > it stuck around on a.g.f.

i do not mean that GothFaeri was the originator of the
spelling, simply that i do not recall the widespread use of
the spelling on a.g.f. before GF
lXs

Sk8gundy

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 unse...@gothic.net wrote:
> I *think* it was TwiTwi in N.O. who coined MakeUpWhores.
> And I *think* (but am willing to bet that I'm wrong)
> that I was the first one to pop up with the
> "Boots first, THEN corset" rule.

No, I'm pretty sure that it was you. You had a fairly long
post detailing what happens if you don't follow the rule.

lXs
not WEARing anything... yet
listening to the news

Sk8gundy

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 mor...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> [1] I like significant other as a technical term, but the
> abbreviation S.O. reminds me of Soho, which I've never
> been to, but as a name irks me greasily. It also reminds
> me of So-Co, an abbreviation for Southern Comfort which
> I find ghastly in taste and form, as well as an evil
> song by glam-rock band Sweet F.A. (although amusing).

Soho? Word association-wise, the first thing that pops
into my mind is "Carnaby"

lXs
listening to Northside

Sk8gundy

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On 25 Feb 1999, Leigh Gardner wrote:
> Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:
> : > : Siani - she's engaged.
> : > eep! the girl who loves hedgehogs engaged! wow!
> : To Touchshriek, do you remember him?
> yup, I do. I also remeber cries of "Dinsdale!" on agf. =)

Yes! Dinsdale is the stuffed hedgehog. But Siani's mother
gave her a pet hedgehog (I forgot the hedgehog's name)
but the rat's name was Rio (who has died already) There
were a lot more Monty Python references on agf then too.
And on ag... like the Perkygoff Liberation Front...

<old posts>

> : Yes. And around that time, it was still gundies everywhere
> : (makes gundy feel at home - but he misses the Screaming
> : Blue Pterodactly terribly) We saw a gummi pterodactyl and
> : thought about buying it.
> there really were gundies everywhere. I remember trying to read that for
> a while, even though I'm not a perky- I thought it was cute, and prolly
> just really thought the whole CoD thing was funny.

I think I stopped with the gundyness bec. I felt inhibited during
the storm of OT-ness-bashing. But I do think it made the newsgroup
v. perky, light(weight), and mostly amusing. And punny? A little
fluffy?

I'm glad the gundysaga sequel is still running on e-mail. It lags
a bit bec. e-mail isn't as good a substitute as USENET.

> I also remember whole Vamp threads (the makeup, not the night creatures!)

For the a.g.f. history project, I want to get someone to go thru the
fashion/make-up history. Nowadays, I see people with freaky streaks
in their hair and they're normals - working at the eyedoctor's or
just anywhere. Punky Colours is in Walgreens or you can get it
at Sally's or Contempo Casuals. When a.g.f. started, Urban Decay
hadn't yet begun selling. Then The Crow was released. I mean,
I don't have the exact dates so I would need someone to chase
after them, but I simply remember that I used to keep a list
of stores in different cities where I could buy Manic Panic or
BLACK np that wasn't Wet n' Wild. There wasn't a big market
for freaky colours or nps other than red/pink.

> back to this thread though, I remember when I actually *read* that "what
> are you wearing today?" threads. These days, I kinda filter through them
> to read what a few ppl have on, but more often than not, I killfile those
> threads. they're right up there for me now w/nailpolish polls and shampoo
> recommendations or even the vegan docs thread. =P

That's bec. threads repeat over and over again. When something
appeared, like "Goth videogames" (which since has repeated),
I got excited about it, but then it got kicked off for being
OT.

lXs
listening to northside
still not dressed yet

Sk8gundy

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Ratty wrote:
> I think i first started hearing it in 90 or so, as a match to grrrl.
> "grrrl" and "boi". i always thought it was a riotgrrrl thing. whoops.

That might be so. I seem to recall the same association.

lXs
listening to Northside

Saiira

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Sk8gundy wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 mor...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > [1] I like significant other as a technical term, but the
> > abbreviation S.O. reminds me of Soho, which I've never
> > been to, but as a name irks me greasily. It also reminds
> > me of So-Co, an abbreviation for Southern Comfort which
> > I find ghastly in taste and form, as well as an evil
> > song by glam-rock band Sweet F.A. (although amusing).
>
> Soho? Word association-wise, the first thing that pops
> into my mind is "Carnaby"

Soho for me = hassle. I _hate_ being in Soho. I was walking through on
my way to gossips/tenebrae on friday and people kept touching my hair,
making comments generally perving at me and stuff. I was weraing a long
coat, how the hell did _they_ know what was underneath, and it was even
very little *sighs* And it wasn't the first time it's happened. It
really upsets me.

Saiira

Leigh Gardner

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:

: I think I stopped with the gundyness bec. I felt inhibited during

: the storm of OT-ness-bashing. But I do think it made the newsgroup
: v. perky, light(weight), and mostly amusing. And punny? A little
: fluffy?

well, it was fluffy- but then again, there used to not be as many posts
here, so it was something cute to read for those of us not involved.

: For the a.g.f. history project, I want to get someone to go thru the
: fashion/make-up history.

::Leigh drags boot-toe through the dust in front of her::

ummm...I still have an e-mail in my in-box from you about how I would do a
makeupwhore project. from September. when I thought I'd have more time.
HAH!
I keep it there as a reminder, and hope that I might get around to it
someday...

<snip about mass availability of freaky hair dye/makeup colors>

I remember being 13 and seeing a guy with eyeliner for the first time- I
was freaked out. I also remember a good amount of people with blue or
green hair working in a certain store, all cool and punky. As I got
older, I aprreciated that store for shopping value more than shock value,
and last year, met my guy there, cause that's where he worked. =)

I remember that the odd-colored hair used to be so out of place and
different- nowadays, any 15-yr-old can have odd-colored hair along with
their Tommy gear. at least good makeup colors are easier to find
nowadays, though. however, quality is still important, which is why I
much prefer my MAC cyber lippie to a W&W that's about the same color.

<snip bit about repeated threads>
: That's bec. threads repeat over and over again. When something

: appeared, like "Goth videogames" (which since has repeated),
: I got excited about it, but then it got kicked off for being
: OT.

well, I read the "what are you wearing" one through several of its
incarnations, but other ones I just ignore. they were also a lot easier
to handle when they got 10 follow-ups instead of the 100 they can get
today.

-Leigh, surprised there hasn't been another "favorite scents?" one
lately

Trystan L. Bass

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Basingstoke <basin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I do like the grrl-boi pair. Put the masculine in the feminine and
> vice versa.

Gawds, I *heart* this, just as a general philosophy thang! Oh, if we only
had an a.g.f.quotes page!!!

--T.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Trystan L. Bass @-->--- www.toreadors.com
a.g.f.faq.chick gothic martha stewart
ebay sales at http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/toreadorbat/

skerry is that a squashed furby? carrie

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
On 24 Feb 1999 20:06:14 GMT, biu...@aol.compost (BIuAngI) fpevooyrq
onpxjneqf sbe fngna:

:Yes, you did, which kind of makes that question irrelevant.
:Didn't say you had to change, just was wondering why you didn't offer any of
:your own input at that moment, and you did it later.

This, folks, is why it is important to read an entire thread.

Rachael

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
Antonio wrote:

> 'Boi' is from the, err, Latin slang word for 'Guy who wants to be
> cute but needs to apply lots of make-up in order to do so because
> let's face it, with a little body like that it's the only way he's
> going to get a snog'.
>
> Don't look it up in your Latin text-books, as I said it's a Latin slang
> term.

Well - "boi" *is* in my Latin dictionary: It names a people in Upper
Italy and Bohemenia... Now, just imagine a whole tribe of "bois"... ;)

> Honest.

> BTW - Yes, I came back - I was missing it here a lot more than I
> ever thought I would :)

Who does not know this?
Three days without agf left me with a feeling of... lack.
The other day I was (like Trent) a Doom addictant, now it's this ng.
I *really* have to get a life,

Rachael

> Antonio,
> um.. appearently 'Goth Boi Babe of the Week', and doesn't know
> whether to be flattered or embarrassed..

It gets you nearer to your very "snog": Be flattered! :)

--
"Suavia musae... me delectant, me deiciunt, me consolantur."
Rachael...@gmx.net

greensea

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
Trystan L. Bass wrote:

> Oh, if we only had an a.g.f.quotes page!!!

Fair maiden! Did you just cry out for someone with way too much free
time, and oodles of web space?

Why, I fit that description. I'll save you!

*dons cape*

Yo agf. Submit all your favorite quotes (ie stuff said ON AGF) to
me at <b...@ici.net>. The quote can be about *anything*. Make sure
you include who said it, and if possible, when. I'll have this
whipped up in no time.

- greensea
(professional loser)

--
b...@ici.net * http://home.ici.net/~bhs/
agf's faqs of life -- http://www.toreadors.com/gothfash/
everything about you is a lie. everything. stay away from me.

the Gruamach

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
On 25 Feb 1999 00:43:52 GMT, qgre...@aol.com (QgreaserQ) mumbled:

>> Whilst reading agf over my shoulder, my significant whatever,
>>Jason, asked me if I considered him a "boi", and if so, exactly
>>what one is..
>
>Look at the last 2 letters. "Oi". Oi is a skinhead term. NOT a goth term.

And just what oriface did you pull that idea from?

The sound "oi!" has been common amongst the Brits and the Aussies
(indluding New Zealand, etc..) for many years before skinheads ever
existed.

Charles (aka: the Gruamach)
"Where are my wings? Don't know where I did leave them.
It's getting harder, to find the things I hide..."
http://home.stlnet.com/~gothcop

Sa...@swgoths.org

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99

lgar...@force.stwing.upenn.edu (Leigh Gardner) wrote:
> Sk8gundy (sl...@spammenot.ghofn.org) wrote:
> : I think I stopped with the gundyness bec. I felt inhibited during
> : the storm of OT-ness-bashing. But I do think it made the newsgroup
> : v. perky, light(weight), and mostly amusing. And punny? A little
> : fluffy?
> well, it was fluffy- but then again, there used to not be as many posts
> here, so it was something cute to read for those of us not involved.

If you can imagine, there was a point early on where almost every post
was a gundy-related thread. I believed that it was a way to continue
the newsgroup, which wasn't getting a lot of posts. I remember on
a.g., katydid once commented that she didn't mind reading agf bec.
it was like one post every few days (pretty slow-going) And it
went on for a couple months until the gundies moved in... so
the gundies kinda enabled agf to grow and have own agf threads
rather than X-posts from ag. After that, only the gundysaga
was X-posted to ag and the gundies started *bouncing* to ag
once in a while.

> ::Leigh drags boot-toe through the dust in front of her::
> ummm...I still have an e-mail in my in-box from you about how I would do a
> makeupwhore project. from September. when I thought I'd have more time.
> HAH!
> I keep it there as a reminder, and hope that I might get around to it
> someday...

Yup! :) I'm still holding you to it.

> <snip about mass availability of freaky hair dye/makeup colors>
> I remember being 13 and seeing a guy with eyeliner for the first time- I
> was freaked out. I also remember a good amount of people with blue or
> green hair working in a certain store, all cool and punky. As I got
> older, I aprreciated that store for shopping value more than shock value,
> and last year, met my guy there, cause that's where he worked. =)

they were like the "alternative" stores (or maybe the sex-bondage
store ;) And the music too wasn't so mainstream. Many years ago,
there were articles about how alternative=mainstream. What is
priceless is that I have this cutout from the Boston Phoenix
which said Doc Martens would never be popular.

> I remember that the odd-colored hair used to be so out of place and
> different- nowadays, any 15-yr-old can have odd-colored hair along with
> their Tommy gear. at least good makeup colors are easier to find
> nowadays, though. however, quality is still important, which is why I
> much prefer my MAC cyber lippie to a W&W that's about the same color.

Yes! Better quality, so it's good in a way. It's just not that
freaky anymore.

> <snip bit about repeated threads>
> : That's bec. threads repeat over and over again. When something
> : appeared, like "Goth videogames" (which since has repeated),
> : I got excited about it, but then it got kicked off for being
> : OT.
> well, I read the "what are you wearing" one through several of its
> incarnations, but other ones I just ignore. they were also a lot easier
> to handle when they got 10 follow-ups instead of the 100 they can get
> today.

I remember the cars thread and I posted, well, just accept that threads
will repeat and if you don't want it to repeat, then someone should
write it up on a web page and then we'd all be writing, go look
at that site, and kelly posted, OK, you talked me into it (although
I think she doesn't remember that it was me) and since then, I
haven't seen a prominent goth cars thread. I read the What are you
wearing? thread sometimes - I think it just has this potential to
go off on other subjects.

Sande

=======****> "What! No rat salad?! This is a day without sunshine."

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/1629/

Ron Cecchini

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99

got...@stlnet.com (the Gruamach) wrote:

> Not so much a guy who's capable of being "feminine", but just a simple:
>
> Male who is considered both cute and also likable at the same time.

Oh, well, i see. You can define it however...

In that case, i define "dork" as "awesome, intelligent & funny".

So now, when my family calls me a "dork", i'll just sit back & smile.

][

Leigh Gardner

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
Sa...@SWGoths.org wrote:
: > ummm...I still have an e-mail in my in-box from you about how I would do a

: > makeupwhore project. from September. when I thought I'd have more time.

: Yup! :) I'm still holding you to it.

I *do* plan on getting to it sometime. perhaps during Spring Break
(Mar. 5th-14th) I can do it, if I'm not too bogged down with catching up
on classwork.

: they were like the "alternative" stores (or maybe the sex-bondage
: store ;)

Zipperhead's *still* an "alternative" store, and always has been. The
people there have been dyeing their hair weird colors/wearing odd
makeup/getting neat piercings/getting tattoos long before any of those
things ever got trendy, and they'll continue to do things like that
because it fits them. I always had fun going to their parties- it was a
huge blend of goth/punk, and everyone sat and drank and had a good time.

: > however, quality is still important, which is why I

: > much prefer my MAC cyber lippie to a W&W that's about the same color.

: Yes! Better quality, so it's good in a way. It's just not that
: freaky anymore.

not that freak anymore also equals "much more readily available", and
sometimes for a lot less. There's a lot more variability in nps these
days than the odd ones I used to get from the W&W displays.

speaking of odd/neat colors, I'm wondering if tomorrow/Sunday in NYC my
mom, aunt, and I might stop in a MAC store or the heaven of all
makeupwhoredom, Sephora.

Heather Holder

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
greensea wrote:

> Trystan L. Bass wrote:
> >
> > Oh, if we only had an a.g.f.quotes page!!!
>
> Fair maiden! Did you just cry out for someone with way too much free
> time, and oodles of web space?
>
> Why, I fit that description. I'll save you!
>
> *dons cape*
>
> Yo agf. Submit all your favorite quotes (ie stuff said ON AGF) to
> me at <b...@ici.net>. The quote can be about *anything*. Make sure
> you include who said it, and if possible, when. I'll have this
> whipped up in no time.

I've had one on my page for a while, but I haven't been updating it much
(until recently). Soooooo, if you need any help with this one, let me
know! :)

Heather
--
************
Heather Holder (Miss Perkygoth AR)

Buying shoes is great; buying shoes on sale is orgasmic.

Jacqueline Manni

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99

unse...@gothic.net wrote:

Oh, and I'm trying to decide if a

> dash of green eyeshadow (as in the look that Vampire Willow on last night's
> Buffy was wearing) would look good on me.

I lurve my Fetish eyeshadow, which is a sparklee dark green. It is pigment
rich, and a lovely color - certianly worth the few dollars for an experiment on
your part! I'm pretty sure the color is called Magic.

Jackie, enabling makeupwhores throughout the world!

Indjuwa

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
Just be yourself my love. For you are not born to comform to any.

Peace be with you.

Indjuwa

Sk8gundy

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
There's one that I remember in a general sense - no exact wording
or who said it. It was during a thread about sizing...
it was something about there's one woman who's the size 7
and we need to find her and feed her.

lXs
listening to Rachmaninov
who is wond'ring abt the band Hovercraft

=======****> "What! No rat salad?! This is a day without sunshine."

greensea

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
Sk8gundy wrote:

> There's one that I remember in a general sense - no exact wording
> or who said it. It was during a thread about sizing...
> it was something about there's one woman who's the size 7
> and we need to find her and feed her.

That was Basinke. This is starting to resemble the Basinke's
Witticisms project. ;)

- greensea
(who just painted her nails w/ MP Purple Haze, and is
about to put on a clear-w/-silver-glitter topcoat)