This Seems Fitting

Raille

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
Sounds like part of the television theme. Speaking of which, does any here
have any VHS tape to trade or sell for the series "project UFO" ?

Raille.

MacGyver wrote in message <368C25...@hotmail.com>...
>Play It!

Shaun Green

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
A friend of mine once told me about a series entitled "UFO", made in the
fifties. Apparently, this was what OUR UFO was loosely based on.

--
Greenish_9, aka. Shaun Green

"The more I close my ears to another person's point of view, the more
certain I become that I am right, and the more likely it becomes that I
am wrong."

Raille

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
There were two versions of the program, One was releases in the US the Other
the UK. The one reference was the UK version, the US version came out ac
ouple years after that. And yes, this is what our game is based on.

The One difference I disliked between the TV and the Game was the TV series
got a moon base to intercept UFO from.

Managed to rent about 4 episodes from the local movie rental about 10 years
ago and have not seen them since. :(

Dave.

Robert R. Ruth

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99

It was produced by G. Anderson in the 70's.
We had some long debates on this in the strategy newsgroup, when the first
game came out. MPS and Mythos claimed there was no connection, but if you
ever get to see the show the influence will stick out like a sore thumb.
My other favorite of Anderson's was Space 1999. Now it is 1999, it makes me
sad that we are not even close to having a real moon base. It was a dream for
many of us that grew up in the 60's/70's that we would be riding that Pan Am
shuttle to the space station in 2001. Never mind, us old folks do babble on
;-)

Bob Ruth

In article <368D5C19...@greenshb.globalnet.co.uk>, Shaun Green

Raille

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99

Robert R. Ruth wrote in message
<76l8mm$8vgk$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>...

>It was produced by G. Anderson in the 70's.
<snip

Does anyone know where copies of the tapes etc can be purchased?

. Now it is 1999, it makes me
>sad that we are not even close to having a real moon base. It was a dream
for
>many of us that grew up in the 60's/70's that we would be riding that Pan
Am
>shuttle to the space station in 2001. Never mind, us old folks do babble
on
>;-)
>
>Bob Ruth

But We ARE getting a space station! It's at least a start!

Raille

MacGyver

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Raille wrote:

SNIP

> Does anyone know where copies of the tapes etc can be purchased?

Try those on-line retailers that always have banners when you search on
Infoseek.

Shaun Green

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Ah, there is truth in it!

Apparently, though, it was very bad. Aluminium foil suits and
visible-string-on-models bad.

Raille wrote:

> There were two versions of the program, One was releases in the US the Other
> the UK. The one reference was the UK version, the US version came out ac
> ouple years after that. And yes, this is what our game is based on.
>
> The One difference I disliked between the TV and the Game was the TV series
> got a moon base to intercept UFO from.
>
> Managed to rent about 4 episodes from the local movie rental about 10 years
> ago and have not seen them since. :(
>
> Dave.
>
> Shaun Green wrote in message <368D5C19...@greenshb.globalnet.co.uk>...

> >A friend of mine once told me about a series entitled "UFO", made in the
> >fifties. Apparently, this was what OUR UFO was loosely based on.

Shaun Green

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Working by Star Control's timeline (the other love in my life besides
X-COM ;) ), we should have 18 million people killed in a small exchange
of nuclear warheads in 2015. The Small War, they called it.

Anyone interested in the SC timeline should go here:

http://members.xoom.com/SC_WC/timeline.htm

Ah, well, that's enough advertising.

Hope I don't live to see Mega-Primus...I'd go blind. ;)

Robert R. Ruth wrote:

> It was produced by G. Anderson in the 70's.

> We had some long debates on this in the strategy newsgroup, when the first
> game came out. MPS and Mythos claimed there was no connection, but if you
> ever get to see the show the influence will stick out like a sore thumb.

> My other favorite of Anderson's was Space 1999. Now it is 1999, it makes me

> sad that we are not even close to having a real moon base. It was a dream for
> many of us that grew up in the 60's/70's that we would be riding that Pan Am
> shuttle to the space station in 2001. Never mind, us old folks do babble on
> ;-)
>
> Bob Ruth

Robert R. Ruth

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99

>Apparently, though, it was very bad. Aluminium foil suits and
>visible-string-on-models bad.

No, for its time it was pretty good. Try to keep in mind special effects did
not come out of a computer and sci-fi TV shows did not get big budgets.
Take a look at the original Star Trek, great show but by today's standards corn
ball aliens and silly gizmos. As for silly tin foil suits take a look at what
real test pilots and astronauts were wearing in those days. I would snatch up
the videos for UFO and Space 1999, if they were still available.

In Honor of the show I have always named my first base S.H.A.D.O.

Bob Ruth.

Roger Chapman

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Bad is a very relative term. All right, it was crap.

Shaun Green wrote in message <368E9484...@greenshb.globalnet.co.uk>...

>Ah, there is truth in it!
>

>Apparently, though, it was very bad. Aluminium foil suits and
>visible-string-on-models bad.
>

>Raille wrote:
>>
>> There were two versions of the program, One was releases in the US the
Other
>> the UK. The one reference was the UK version, the US version came out
ac
>> ouple years after that. And yes, this is what our game is based on.
>>
>> The One difference I disliked between the TV and the Game was the TV
series
>> got a moon base to intercept UFO from.
>>
>> Managed to rent about 4 episodes from the local movie rental about 10
years
>> ago and have not seen them since. :(
>>
>> Dave.
>>
>> Shaun Green wrote in message
<368D5C19...@greenshb.globalnet.co.uk>...

Lee W. Benjamin

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99

Robert R. Ruth wrote in message
<76l8mm$8vgk$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>...

>It was produced by G. Anderson in the 70's.
>We had some long debates on this in the strategy newsgroup, when the first
>game came out. MPS and Mythos claimed there was no connection, but if you
>ever get to see the show the influence will stick out like a sore thumb.
>My other favorite of Anderson's was Space 1999. Now it is 1999, it makes me
>sad that we are not even close to having a real moon base. It was a dream
for
>many of us that grew up in the 60's/70's that we would be riding that Pan
Am
>shuttle to the space station in 2001. Never mind, us old folks do babble
on
>;-)

Yes, us old folks do babble on -- 5 (I couldn't help it!)

Shaun Green

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
> No, for its time it was pretty good. Try to keep in mind special effects did
> not come out of a computer and sci-fi TV shows did not get big budgets.
> Take a look at the original Star Trek, great show but by today's standards corn
> ball aliens and silly gizmos. As for silly tin foil suits take a look at what
> real test pilots and astronauts were wearing in those days. I would snatch up
> the videos for UFO and Space 1999, if they were still available.

Maybe - I'm working on what someone told me, however. Oh, and the
original Star Trek is VERY corny. Sorry... ;)

> In Honor of the show I have always named my first base S.H.A.D.O.

S.H.A.D.O? No doubt there's a terrible, cheesy reason for that
acronym... ;)

Robert R. Ruth

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
In article <368F863C...@greenshb.globalnet.co.uk>, Shaun Green <gree...@greenshb.globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
Snip!

>> In Honor of the show I have always named my first base S.H.A.D.O.
>
>S.H.A.D.O? No doubt there's a terrible, cheesy reason for that
>acronym... ;)

It has been a while, so if I am wrong someone will correct me ;-)

Supreme Headquarters Alien Defense Organization

Bob Ruth

Raille

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
I do believe your correct on this one.

Raille

Steve Goss

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
Ok, that's enough, there is nothing, well almost nothing cheesy about
Gerry Anderson's UFO - don't sell my childhood down the river!

Women with metallic purple wigs and tight silver suits, submarines that
launch aircraft to intercept UFO's, moonbase (with cool interceptors)
etc, etc.

There were NO strings and the SHADO mobiles were soooo realistic, still
the best toy Dinky ever did!

But fair cop, X-COM:ED and TFTD did steal from UFO - the show WAS an
influence, but be realistic the show wasn't exactly original!

TFTD played around with Cthulhu as well, but few people pick up on
that...

sTeVE

Sam

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
Steve Goss wrote:

> TFTD played around with Cthulhu as well, but few people pick up on
> that...

Well...*I* picked up on it..."T'Leth"..."The Great Dreamer"...Deep
Ones...I enjoyed the loose references.

-Sam

Steve Goss

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
That's cool, I never really figured many people kinda got that stuff,
most everyone just got bugged about the research problem!

sTeVE

Shaun Green

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
> Supreme Headquarters Alien Defense Organization

Heh, heh. That's not so bad, actually.

Shaun Green

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
> TFTD played around with Cthulhu as well, but few people pick up on
> that...

In which area, specifically? (I don't have TFTD).

Robert R. Ruth

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
In article <369269A8...@greenshb.globalnet.co.uk>, Shaun Green <gree...@greenshb.globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Supreme Headquarters Alien Defense Organization
>
>Heh, heh. That's not so bad, actually.

The best part was that SHADO was underground and on top of it as a cover was a
movie studio that made bad "B" movies Horror and Sci-Fi, so the locals never
suspected that some of the equipment and monsters were real ;-)

Bob Ruth

Sam

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Shaun Green wrote:

> > TFTD played around with Cthulhu as well, but few people pick up on
> > that...
>
> In which area, specifically? (I don't have TFTD).

It's been a while since I played TFTD, but:

The supreme alien, who you had to destroy at the end of TFTD, to win
the game, was called "The Great Dreamer" or something. And he was
sleeping at the bottom of the ocean, in his city of "T'Leth", waiting
for the right time to awaken from his eternal slumber...You never get
to see "The Great Dreamer" in the game, but you do get to see the
casket-type-thing that he's sleeping it. It has a design of some
Octopus-Squid type thing on the lid.

"The Great Dreamer" easily translates to Cthulhu.
"T'Leth" easily translates to R'lyeh.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, etc :)

There are more Lovecraft-type things in the game, too. Lovecraft is
even mentioned in the description of one of the aliens. "Not even the
depths of a Lovecraftian nightmare could spawn a creature as horrible
as this..." Something like that.

Did anyone play Shadow of the Comet? *Great* Lovecraft computer game...

-Sam

Raille

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99

Sam wrote in message <3692A7...@netcomuk.co.uk>...
>-Sam

Also the Deepones were a spin off of the Deep Ones in the Cthulu mythos. I
think there may have been other references still, but I can't remember.

Raille.

Steve Goss

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99

Yup you're dead right we couldn't get copyright clearance on the Cthulhu
names (R'lyeh and the like) so I monkeyed around and gave them "almost"
names and types.

The Deeps ones are straight from Lovecraft, the other creatures display
features similar to well known creatures in the mythos.

The Great Dreamer is there, his head (replete with tentacles) is in the
casket at the end of the maze.

sTeVE

> > TFTD played around with Cthulhu as well, but few people pick up on
> > that...
>
> In which area, specifically? (I don't have TFTD).

It's been a while since I played TFTD, but:

The supreme alien, who you had to destroy at the end of TFTD, to win
the game, was called "The Great Dreamer" or something. And he was
sleeping at the bottom of the ocean, in his city of "T'Leth", waiting
for the right time to awaken from his eternal slumber...You never get
to see "The Great Dreamer" in the game, but you do get to see the
casket-type-thing that he's sleeping it. It has a design of some
Octopus-Squid type thing on the lid.

"The Great Dreamer" easily translates to Cthulhu.
"T'Leth" easily translates to R'lyeh.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, etc :)

There are more Lovecraft-type things in the game, too. Lovecraft is
even mentioned in the description of one of the aliens. "Not even the
depths of a Lovecraftian nightmare could spawn a creature as horrible
as this..." Something like that.

Did anyone play Shadow of the Comet? *Great* Lovecraft computer game...

-Sam

Sam

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Raille wrote:

> Sam wrote in message <3692A7...@netcomuk.co.uk>...

> >> In which area, specifically? (I don't have TFTD).
> >
> >It's been a while since I played TFTD, but:
> >
> >The supreme alien, who you had to destroy at the end of TFTD, to win
> >the game, was called "The Great Dreamer" or something. And he was
> >sleeping at the bottom of the ocean, in his city of "T'Leth", waiting
> >for the right time to awaken from his eternal slumber...You never get
> >to see "The Great Dreamer" in the game, but you do get to see the
> >casket-type-thing that he's sleeping it. It has a design of some
> >Octopus-Squid type thing on the lid.
> >
> >"The Great Dreamer" easily translates to Cthulhu.
> >"T'Leth" easily translates to R'lyeh.
> >
> >That is not dead which can eternal lie, etc :)
> >
> >There are more Lovecraft-type things in the game, too. Lovecraft is
> >even mentioned in the description of one of the aliens. "Not even the
> >depths of a Lovecraftian nightmare could spawn a creature as horrible
> >as this..." Something like that.
> >-Sam
>
> Also the Deepones were a spin off of the Deep Ones in the Cthulu mythos. I
> think there may have been other references still, but I can't remember.
>
> Raille.

Yep. Forgot to mention the Deep Ones...One of the most obvious
references, too...Plus they were pretty damn cool (with their Gillmen
friends :)

-Sam

Sam

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Steve Goss wrote:

> Yup you're dead right we couldn't get copyright clearance on the Cthulhu
> names (R'lyeh and the like) so I monkeyed around and gave them "almost"
> names and types.
>
> The Deeps ones are straight from Lovecraft, the other creatures display
> features similar to well known creatures in the mythos.
>
> The Great Dreamer is there, his head (replete with tentacles) is in the
> casket at the end of the maze.

Cool! :)
Thanks for the info. I couldn't decide whether that was *actually* The
Great Dreamer's head, or just the design on the casket lid.

TFTD was a great game, btw :)

-Sam

Andrew R. Gillett

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
In alt.games.x-com, Steve Goss wrote:
> The Great Dreamer is there, his head (replete with tentacles) is in the
> casket at the end of the maze.

I don't recall it very well - can you blow open the casket or something
and see him?

--
Andrew Gillett http://argnet.fatal-design.com/ ICQ: See homepage
"When you see the looks on their tiny faces, Stew, it's almost as if they

Shaun Green

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
> >Heh, heh. That's not so bad, actually.
>
> The best part was that SHADO was underground and on top of it as a cover was a
> movie studio that made bad "B" movies Horror and Sci-Fi, so the locals never
> suspected that some of the equipment and monsters were real ;-)

Hey, that's quite good. Perhaps the shows producer had a glimpse of
what people might someday think of it... ;)

Steve Goss

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99

If you look you can see the fluid around the head bubbling, so the
Dreamer is in the open sarcophagus, and the top is missing...

sTeVE

> If you look you can see the fluid around the head bubbling, so the
> Dreamer is in the open sarcophagus, and the top is missing...

Yep, I should've looked harder :) I couldn't decide whether that was
*actually* his head, or just the design on the lid.

Ah well.

-Sam

juri...@mail1.gannon.edu

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

Arkham House Publishers has told many people those names
are in the public domain.

In article <F4A8F7C49C90D211BD4200C0DF10E3870947B7@HOT-BDC>,