pilot rescue mission help

Jacob Daly

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

The Devil Ray appears as soon as you kill the first of the original four.

jake

Rupa Schomaker

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

I can't seem to succeed in this mission at all. At least twice I've been
able to kill all the enemy ships before the rescue ship goes in to rescue
the pilot and both times it says that I've failed. The first time, I
thought it was because I was too far away from the shuttle (I went off to
kill one last large ship that jumps before I can get to it). The other
time I don't think I was that far from the rescue ship.

It almost seems like this mission is unwinable. The minute you jump in,
5 ships are immediately attacking the rescue ship. Usually they have
toasted it before I can get even 1 or 2.

I'm not playing at a difficult level (whatever the default was).

Thoughts?

Bubba Jones

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

You have to keep trying. Kill the ships as quickly as possible. Use
all your missiles. Kill three then concentrate on the remaining two
(going back and forth). Eventually, you will hear that the pilot has
been recovered. Finish off the two remaining ships then go back. It
took me 6 or 7 tries. Just keep trying. You'll get it.

Dundradal

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

In article <34c4ffd3...@news.usit.net>, bu...@redneck.com (Bubba
Jones) wrote:

There is a lone alien ship farther out from the others. He heads right for
the pilot. Nail his ass first and it will all go well.

--
Dundradal
"Let the Dark Side of the OS be warned" AppleJedi

Tredrick14

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

>I can't seem to succeed in this mission at all. At least twice I've been
>able to kill all the enemy ships before the rescue ship goes in to rescue
>the pilot and both times it says that I've failed. The first time, I
>thought it was because I was too far away from the shuttle (I went off to
>kill one last large ship that jumps before I can get to it). The other
>time I don't think I was that far from the rescue ship.
>
>It almost seems like this mission is unwinable. The minute you jump in,
>5 ships are immediately attacking the rescue ship. Usually they have
>toasted it before I can get even 1 or 2.

Kill one ship, then cycle through all available targets and see if the Devil
Ray (I think) has appeared. If it has go after it immediately. It will pick
up the pilot otherwise. When it jumps out go after the ships that are
currently attacking the rescue shuttle. If you can take them out the shuttle
will be fine as the others don't seem to abandon you as their target.

Good luck.

Daniel

Jason Sifford

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

Kill things FAST - use missiles. THEN, a Devil Ray will show up. You need
to NAIL him AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Fire EVERYTHING at him and (hopefully)
he'll run away. Then you can mop up the rest.

Rupa Schomaker wrote in message ...

>I can't seem to succeed in this mission at all. At least twice I've been
>able to kill all the enemy ships before the rescue ship goes in to rescue
>the pilot and both times it says that I've failed. The first time, I
>thought it was because I was too far away from the shuttle (I went off to
>kill one last large ship that jumps before I can get to it). The other
>time I don't think I was that far from the rescue ship.
>
>It almost seems like this mission is unwinable. The minute you jump in,
>5 ships are immediately attacking the rescue ship. Usually they have
>toasted it before I can get even 1 or 2.

rak...@nucleus.com

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

On 20 Jan 1998 09:15:01 -0700, ru...@rupa.com (Rupa Schomaker) wrote:

>I can't seem to succeed in this mission at all. At least twice I've been
>able to kill all the enemy ships before the rescue ship goes in to rescue
>the pilot and both times it says that I've failed. The first time, I
>thought it was because I was too far away from the shuttle (I went off to
>kill one last large ship that jumps before I can get to it). The other
>time I don't think I was that far from the rescue ship.
>
>It almost seems like this mission is unwinable. The minute you jump in,
>5 ships are immediately attacking the rescue ship. Usually they have
>toasted it before I can get even 1 or 2.
>
>I'm not playing at a difficult level (whatever the default was).
>
>Thoughts?

OK. problem is the pod is being scooped up by a Manta ray before the
SAR guys can get to it. As soon as the SAR says they have located the
pod another blue dot will appear on your radar, head for it. Cycle
through your targets until you get the Manta Ray (it will be heading
for the pod as well ) Keep pestering or better kill it until the the
SAR picks up the pod , oh yeah , you have to do all this while keeping
you and the SAR alive....

Hope this helps

Reaper.

Christopher Reid

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

Jason Sifford wrote:

> Kill things FAST - use missiles. THEN, a Devil Ray will show up. You
> need to NAIL him AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Fire EVERYTHING at him and
> (hopefully) he'll run away. Then you can mop up the rest.

A short time into the battle, check your Nav Map. The Devil Ray will
start out very far from the pilot, but will afterburn in at an
incredible rate of speed. You can see how close he is and lock onto him
from the Map.

Chris Reid
CRei...@aol.com

Jacob Daly

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

Christopher Reid wrote in message <6a4agg$e...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>...

>Jacob Daly wrote:
>>
>> The Devil Ray appears as soon as you kill the first of the original
>> four.
>

> I think it's there from the start, just far off. Try not killing any
>other ships and it should still arrive.

Well, I've tried targeting it right off the bat and it's not there, but the
instant I shoot down one fighter it appears. I've never seriously
considered letting everything live very long just to see what happens.
Might be interesting, but won't they kill the SAR shuttle?

Christopher Reid

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

Jacob Daly wrote:

> The Devil Ray appears as soon as you kill the first of the original
> four.

I think it's there from the start, just far off. Try not killing any
other ships and it should still arrive.

Chris Reid
CRei...@aol.com

Kelvin Lim

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

On 20 Jan 1998 09:15:01 -0700, ru...@rupa.com (Rupa Schomaker) wrote:

>I can't seem to succeed in this mission at all. At least twice I've been
>able to kill all the enemy ships before the rescue ship goes in to rescue
>the pilot and both times it says that I've failed. The first time, I
>thought it was because I was too far away from the shuttle (I went off to
>kill one last large ship that jumps before I can get to it). The other
>time I don't think I was that far from the rescue ship.
>
>It almost seems like this mission is unwinable. The minute you jump in,
>5 ships are immediately attacking the rescue ship. Usually they have
>toasted it before I can get even 1 or 2.

The main problem in this mission is the Devil Ray which shows up after
a while. Keep the other bugs off the SAR ship (distract them with
missiles and loads of taunts if need be), but concentrate keeping the
Devil Ray away from the ejected pilot, since it'll attempt to pick him
up. A tactic to try would be to ram the Devil Ray whenever it tries to
stop and pick up the pilot.

/*======================================================================*/
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
char *s = "\xA\x2C\0#my$~od$iclcikzJgcfdc|foa\"*gcF*dc|foA*gexL", *i;
for(i=s+*(s+1);i-s-1;) printf("%c", *i--^*s); return 0; }
/*======================================================================*/

Ethesis

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

You want to toast some of the bad guys right off, so you have to waste missiles
on enemy ships that don't seem to justify them, then not get distracted and
whack at that Devil Ray (btw, sometimes it will jump out before you get your
kill on it).

Can be a pretty hard mission.

Stephen
http://adrr.com/

Capt. Johnny

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

Actually.. he jumps in after 30 seconds..
and it dosen't matter if you've killed anyone else..

-J

Christopher Reid <CRei...@aol.com> wrote in article
<6a4agg$e...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>...

Stephen "Grizzly" Gehringer

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98
to Rupa Schomaker

SPOILERS:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The trick is, at some point within 2-3 minutes after entering the nav
point, the SAR will announce that more enemy ships have entered the
area...if he doesn't just keep an eye open, because your real danger of
failure is in the Devil Ray that arrives and grabs the pilot first.

What you do (this works for me in Ace mode):
As soon as you enter the nav point, set off your FF missiles in a spread
towards the enemy fighters, then concentrate and take out as many as you
can until the Devil Ray arrives. Stop what you're doing -immediately-,
lock onto the Devil Ray and lock the afterburners. Go after that
bastard as fast as you can. As soon as possible, let loose -all- of
your IR missiles at him. With luck, this'll distract him from grabbing
the pilot. If not, they should nail him hard...When you close to gun
range, kill the afterburners and open up with full guns, relentlessly
blasting him. Do not stop until he's dead. Once the Devil Ray it out
of the picture, wipe out the remaining fighters.

Rupa Schomaker wrote:

> I can't seem to succeed in this mission at all. At least twice I've been
> able to kill all the enemy ships before the rescue ship goes in to rescue
> the pilot and both times it says that I've failed. The first time, I
> thought it was because I was too far away from the shuttle (I went off to
> kill one last large ship that jumps before I can get to it). The other
> time I don't think I was that far from the rescue ship.
>
> It almost seems like this mission is unwinable. The minute you jump in,
> 5 ships are immediately attacking the rescue ship. Usually they have
> toasted it before I can get even 1 or 2.

Knight

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

In article <MPG.f2e6ca44...@news.primenet.com>, ru...@rupa.com
says...

>I can't seem to succeed in this mission at all. At least twice I've
been
>able to kill all the enemy ships before the rescue ship goes in to
rescue
>the pilot and both times it says that I've failed. The first time, I
>thought it was because I was too far away from the shuttle (I went off
>kill one last large ship that jumps before I can get to it). The other
>time I don't think I was that far from the rescue ship.
>
>It almost seems like this mission is unwinable. The minute you jump
in,
>5 ships are immediately attacking the rescue ship. Usually they have
>toasted it before I can get even 1 or 2.
>
>I'm not playing at a difficult level (whatever the default was).
>
>Thoughts?

This is a tough game, and if you are playing at the default level the
game assumes that you are an ace. Trying playing the game at rookie
first and then jump a level. The other thing that I can think of is that
if you know them try the cheat codes.

Knight

Jan Kotek

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

Rupa Schomaker wrote:

> I can't seem to succeed in this mission at all. At least twice I've been
> able to kill all the enemy ships before the rescue ship goes in to rescue
> the pilot and both times it says that I've failed. The first time, I
> thought it was because I was too far away from the shuttle (I went off to
> kill one last large ship that jumps before I can get to it). The other
> time I don't think I was that far from the rescue ship.
>
> It almost seems like this mission is unwinable. The minute you jump in,
> 5 ships are immediately attacking the rescue ship. Usually they have
> toasted it before I can get even 1 or 2.
>
> I'm not playing at a difficult level (whatever the default was).
>
> Thoughts?

O.K. here is my walkthrough:

As soon as you autopilot to the nav point press Ctrl-N (brings up your
nav-map).

Now use left mouse button to select SAR - you will now see, that it is beeing
targeted by Manta and one Morray.

Right-click on Manta (has bigger firepower) - this will select Manta as your
target.

Now kill it fast. I use this tactics: Get close behind him (cca 100-200
cliks), lower his back shields and armor with full guns and then finish him
with a missile (You are close, he wont have time to evade it).

After impact of the missile (don't wait until Manta explodes - You don't have
time for that) use Ctrl-N to target Morray that is attacking the SAR.

Kill it. Don't worry about the other two, your wingmen are taking care of
them - SAR is secured.

Now use Ctrl-N to find the Devil Ray (it has targeted the ejected pilot).

Set your course to intercept it and hit the afterburner and "taunt" the
bastard to death (use Alt-T).

As soon as you get lock on him fire missile or two. Then sneak behind him and
kill him.

I wish you luck.

BTW it IS possible to:

Get more than 100% missile-hit-ratio (got it two times 9 hits with 8 missiles
and 12 with 11 :-)

Kill Death Ray escaping from Comm station with Blair on board

Ian Lay

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

Jan Kotek wrote in message <34C79B07...@vse.cz>...

Sorry no wingmen in this mission. Just you and the SAR. If you have
wingmen then you must have a different version to the game that I have.

>Now use Ctrl-N to find the Devil Ray (it has targeted the ejected pilot).
>
>Set your course to intercept it and hit the afterburner and "taunt" the
>bastard to death (use Alt-T).
>
>As soon as you get lock on him fire missile or two. Then sneak behind him
and
>kill him.

You actually don't have to kill the bastard. If you just harrass him enough
so he can't pick up the pilot the SAR will get there first, pick the up
pilot and then the Devil Ray bugs off through hyperspace.

>I wish you luck.
>
>BTW it IS possible to:
>
>Get more than 100% missile-hit-ratio (got it two times 9 hits with 8
missiles
>and 12 with 11 :-)

Nice !!! Not seen that before.

Ian.

Stephen "Grizzly" Gehringer

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

Ian Lay wrote:

> Jan Kotek wrote in message <34C79B07...@vse.cz>...
> You actually don't have to kill the bastard. If you just harrass him enough
> so he can't pick up the pilot the SAR will get there first, pick the up
> pilot and then the Devil Ray bugs off through hyperspace.
>
> >BTW it IS possible to:
> >
> >Get more than 100% missile-hit-ratio (got it two times 9 hits with 8
> missiles
> >and 12 with 11 :-)
>
> Nice !!! Not seen that before.

I've managed to get more than a 100% missile accuracy score by nailing a
damaged Stingray Cluster with a missile and managing to destroy two
Stingrays at once.

Christopher Reid

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

Jacob Daly wrote:

> Christopher Reid wrote:
> > I think it's there from the start, just far off. Try not killing
> > any other ships and it should still arrive.
>
> Well, I've tried targeting it right off the bat and it's not there,
> but the instant I shoot down one fighter it appears. I've never
> seriously considered letting everything live very long just to see
> what happens. Might be interesting, but won't they kill the SAR
> shuttle?

It should be possible for you to bat them away for a little bit.
Then check your Nav Map to see if it's out there.

Chris Reid
CRei...@aol.com

Jan Kotek

Jan 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/23/98

Ian Lay wrote:

> Jan Kotek wrote in message <34C79B07...@vse.cz>...

Possibly...But only Manta and one Morray are atacking the SAR. And since You
will be flying on afterburner untill the Devill Ray destruction, there is no
need to worry about those two bugs.

> >Now use Ctrl-N to find the Devil Ray (it has targeted the ejected pilot).
> >
> >Set your course to intercept it and hit the afterburner and "taunt" the
> >bastard to death (use Alt-T).
> >
> >As soon as you get lock on him fire missile or two. Then sneak behind him
> and
> >kill him.
> >

> You actually don't have to kill the bastard. If you just harrass him enough
> so he can't pick up the pilot the SAR will get there first, pick the up
> pilot and then the Devil Ray bugs off through hyperspace.

Only a dead bug is a good bug :-)

> >I wish you luck.

> >BTW it IS possible to:
> >
> >Get more than 100% missile-hit-ratio (got it two times 9 hits with 8
> missiles
> >and 12 with 11 :-)
>
> Nice !!! Not seen that before.
>

> Ian.

Try to shoot missile on clustered Skates/Stingrays.