Why would you want to pirate Warcraft 2? It's good enough to buy.

Robbie Vance

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
to ait...@ocean.com.au
I know of one shop that will let you try out software on the premises,
and if you dont like it you get a
>refund, but their prices are pretty high. A video store I know is renting games out,
>Ive found this a great way to check out a game before I bought it. I am against
>piracy, but 70-80 bucks (Oz) is a lot to blow. Maybe there could be a time limit on
>refunds or something? AT the moment if I take a game home from the store, and find
>out that my computer wont work with it, I'm stuck with it.
>Demos help but most of us have seen demos that didnt really give a real idea of what
>the game is like.
>
>Jon (is there a demo for War II? I assume there isnt).

I completly agree. As for a demo of WCII, I am not sure if their is, but
I did here something about the alpha being re-released as the shareware
verision.

ekenw...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
ait...@ocean.com.au (J Aitken) wrote:

>This is my big bugbear about software - there are many games out there
> that arent really copyable (7 cd games etc), yet theres no easy way to > find out if they are any good until you buy them. This m=
eans that the
> old story of preventing piracy doesnt really wash when it comes to even > exchanging games let alone getting a refund.

I have the same problem in the UK - despite the fact that I'm certain
it's contrary to consumer law. Perhaps it needs a test case.

The US is way ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to refunds.
When I'm over there I buy stuff from Best Buy and can take it back for a
full, no questions asked, refund within 30 days. And I think that's the
norm over there.

>Magazines are pretty tricky - I read five different reviews saying that > Ascendancy was great, and one that disagreed (I know it h=
ad a demo, but > I thought that there would be more to it when the game was released - > more fool I).

I was caught out by the Ascendancy reviews as well ! I've given up
bothering with computer games magazines - they're rubbish and seem to be
written by journalists, and second-rate ones at that, who don't play the
games (and probably have never gotten beyond they're word processor). I
go to the Web and the Usenet groups to find out "the truth".

>Jon (is there a demo for War II? I assume there isnt).

Not yet but apparently Blizzard are going to release one.

--
Edward

Pat Irish

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
Robbie Vance <rva...@direct.ca> wrote:

> I know of one shop that will let you try out software on the premises,
> and if you dont like it you get a
> >refund, but their prices are pretty high. A video store I know is renting games out,
> >Ive found this a great way to check out a game before I bought it. I am against
> >piracy, but 70-80 bucks (Oz) is a lot to blow. Maybe there could be a time limit on
> >refunds or something? AT the moment if I take a game home from the store, and find
> >out that my computer wont work with it, I'm stuck with it.
> >Demos help but most of us have seen demos that didnt really give a real idea of what
> >the game is like.
> >

> >Jon (is there a demo for War II? I assume there isnt).
> >

> I completly agree. As for a demo of WCII, I am not sure if their is, but
> I did here something about the alpha being re-released as the shareware
> verision.

I saw the demo on the magazine Computer Gaming. It cost about $11.00
if you got it shipped to you. It is much better just to buy it for $50.00

Pat Irish

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96

Chanman

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
On 28 Jan 1996 04:29:14 GMT, Pat Irish <war...@sojourn.com> wrote:

>I saw the demo on the magazine Computer Gaming. It cost about $11.00
>if you got it shipped to you. It is much better just to buy it for $50.00

Check out Blizzard's Home page. I could've sworn I saw that there's a new
WC2 demo on their site! They say it's 14 megs, so go check it out!