Media on server and/or external drive

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 19, 2008, 2:05:26 PM4/19/08
I just picked up a PS3/40G yesterday, and I'm trying to feed media to
it.

According to what I read in here over the past couple of weeks, I
should be able to use the media server abilities of Nero 8 to turn my
Windows PC into a media server the PS can access. I configured NERO to
be such a server, and I had it index and make available over my LAN
folders containing MP3s and photos. When it was done indexing, I tried
to access them via the PS3.

The game console saw that there was a media server available and it
correctly identified the "brand". But when I tried to go into it by
selecting Audio, then the media server, then All Music, it told me that
no tracks were found. The second time I tried, I got an error in the
upper right corner of the screen, "DLNA error 4405".

When I plugged the console in yesterday, it immediately downloaded and
installed a new version of the OS, I believe it's now running v2.2. I
had no chance to try this with whatever version was on it out of the
box. The console is connected to my LAN via the wired port, through a
Linksys WRT54G to the rest of my LAN and the internet. My first
thought was that the firewall on my desktop computer, where the media
is stored, was interfering. But it showed to alerts about a
questionable or blocked connect attempt, plus if that were the case I
wouldn't even see the server on the PC from the PS.

So I tried using an external hard drive. I copied my music to an
external USB drive and plugged it into the PS3. The PS3 isn't even
seeing it.

Being able to access my media from the console is a secondary desire,
but it WAS one of the deciding factors for me getting one. I would
like to get this to work.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #125.
Should I actually decide to kill the hero in an elaborate escape-proof
deathtrap room (water filling up, sand pouring down, walls converging,
etc.) I will not leave him alone five-to-ten minutes prior to
"imminent" death, but will instead (finding a vantage point or
monitoring camera) stick around and enjoy watching my adversary's
demise.

Blig Merk

Apr 19, 2008, 4:10:22 PM4/19/08
The external drive has to be formatted FAT32. XP only allows 32GB
FAT32 partitions, so just look around for a freeware FAT32 format
utility. After that, the PS3 generally looks for files in Photo,
Music, Video and Games folders on the external hard drive. But it will
show as a USB device without those folders and you just hit Triangle -
Display All if you haven't created the folders.

http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-External-Hard-Drive-to-a-Playstation-3
How to Add an External Hard Drive to a Playstation 3

Nero 8 indexing (presume you are using Smart Scout) takes a long time
if you have a large media directory. There isn't any clear indicator
when this is completed. If the indexing isn't finished, then the Media
Server will show up on the PS3 but the folders won't have anything in
them. As for firewalls, there is also the Windows firewall in Control
Panel. Click on Exceptions, add Program, Nero Mediahome. Or if using a
fixed port, add Port, then enter that port in. Since you are seeing
the Media Server on the PS3, this probably isn't the problem. It is
probably the indexing just didn't get finished.

khee mao

Apr 19, 2008, 5:21:28 PM4/19/08

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <nom...@gordol.org> wrote in message
it's not just you. v2.2 caused a lot of instability with media sharing.

Blig Merk

Apr 19, 2008, 5:32:44 PM4/19/08
hee mao wrote:
> it's not just you. v2.2 caused a lot of instability with media sharing.

Re-read his message. His problem was before the update. Then he got
the update and still couldn't get media server working. There is
something wrong with his setup, not the update. I have the update and
my media servers are all working fine.

khee mao

Apr 19, 2008, 11:39:44 PM4/19/08

"Blig Merk" <blig...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
media sharing to PS3 has been hit or miss in my experience. I'm currently
up and running with v2.3, but had plenty of issues on previous firmware
revisions, from both Sony and Linksys (wrt54g has/had known issues with
sharing/UPnP).

to the OP:

test media streaming with your firewall turned off, if it works, which I
suspect it will, turn it back on and update your rules. if still no, try
disabling UPnP on your router after updating your PS3 and 54g firmware.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 19, 2008, 11:46:16 PM4/19/08
Previously on alt.games.video.sony-playstation3, Blig Merk said:

> hee mao wrote:
> > it's not just you. v2.2 caused a lot of instability with media sharing.
>
> Re-read his message. His problem was before the update. Then he got

No, he had it right. I said that I did NOT try it before the update. I
said that as soon as I plugged the console in for the first time, it
downloaded and installed the update. I've had the console now for
about 30 hours.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Just get out of her way, Doctor. We're doomed to be Entertained. It's
an obligation on both sides. The polite thing to do is sort of pretend
we're not here till she's ready for us." (Miles Vorkosigan [Lois
McMaster Bujold, "The Mountains of Mourning"])

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 19, 2008, 11:46:49 PM4/19/08
Previously on alt.games.video.sony-playstation3, Blig Merk said:

> The external drive has to be formatted FAT32. XP only allows 32GB
> FAT32 partitions, so just look around for a freeware FAT32 format

It's a 250 GB drive, formatted by a Vista computer. It's almost
certainly NTFS. I can check on that later. Using my desktop as a
server is a more convenient method, if I can get that to work. Or, I
wonder what format my iPod Classic uses...

> http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-External-Hard-Drive-to-a-Playstation-3
> How to Add an External Hard Drive to a Playstation 3

Noted, thanks.

> Nero 8 indexing (presume you are using Smart Scout) takes a long time

Yes.

> if you have a large media directory. There isn't any clear indicator

How large is "large" in this context? I have somewhere around 19 GB of
MP3 files and about a gig of photos.

> when this is completed. If the indexing isn't finished, then the Media
> Server will show up on the PS3 but the folders won't have anything in
> them. As for firewalls, there is also the Windows firewall in Control

I started Nero Scout indexing last night, and tried to access the media
this morning, after verifying that Scout had finished indexing.

> Panel. Click on Exceptions, add Program, Nero Mediahome. Or if using a
> fixed port, add Port, then enter that port in. Since you are seeing
> the Media Server on the PS3, this probably isn't the problem. It is
> probably the indexing just didn't get finished.

The firewall is Kaspersky, not the useless crap included in Windows. I
also tried MediaHome set to the recommended "random port" and a
specific fixed port, no difference. The firewall has a built-in rule
to allow connections from the LAN, and the server itself was seen.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

disinclination to do so." (Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See")

Blig Merk

Apr 20, 2008, 12:33:57 PM4/20/08
I don't know, Nero MediaHome is probably the most brain-dead simple
DLNA to get working with the PS3. It sounds like you are almost there,
if the PS3 sees MediaHome and the icon is there on the XMB.

Do you have Windows Firewall turned off completely or are you assuming
it is off? In Control Panel, there is a Windows Firewall icon, open
that up and see if it is actually off. If it is off and you are using
your own firewall, check to see that it is actually allowing MediaHome
to go through.

If that is the case, are you sure you are in the Music directory on
the XMB when you look for music? The Nero MediaHome icon shows above
Music, Photo, Video and if you are in the XMB Video column, open Nero
MediaHome and select All Music, it will show up as empty.

Once thing with Nero Scout is to try indexing with a small directory
at first. Just create a different Media directory, put a couple of
MP3, a couple of videos, a couple of photos, unselect your big media
directory and select the small test directory, index that. When you
push the Index button, it stays down until all the media is indexed,
then pops back out when it is finished.

The other thing about MediaHome is that it won't transcode everything.
Don't try to use the individual transcode, just set Auto Detect for
all of them. MediaHome won't transcode Quicktime MOV, WMV-HD, and some
others. It will transcode AVC-HD and is the only one so far that will
take the AVC-HD clips from the Playstation Store and stream them in
1080p.

Here is a guide somebody put together with some other DLNA servers:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158357

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 20, 2008, 6:26:06 PM4/20/08
Previously on alt.games.video.sony-playstation3, Blig Merk said:

> I don't know, Nero MediaHome is probably the most brain-dead simple
> DLNA to get working with the PS3. It sounds like you are almost there,
> if the PS3 sees MediaHome and the icon is there on the XMB.

Which is why I'm puzzled.

> Do you have Windows Firewall turned off completely or are you assuming
> it is off? In Control Panel, there is a Windows Firewall icon, open

It is OFF.

> that up and see if it is actually off. If it is off and you are using
> your own firewall, check to see that it is actually allowing MediaHome
> to go through.

Yes. I have even specifically created a rule for the MediaHome.exe
process to allow inbound and outbound for my entire LAN subnet on both
TCP and UDP. I have also, as someone else suggested, disabled the
firewall. Neither have worked. I get the same error from the console
about a DLNA protocol error 4405.

> If that is the case, are you sure you are in the Music directory on
> the XMB when you look for music? The Nero MediaHome icon shows above

I get the same error regardless of which type of media I'm attempting
from the console, music, photos or video, from their own heading or
not. DLNA protocol error 4405 message in the upper right, and no files
found.

> Once thing with Nero Scout is to try indexing with a small directory
> at first. Just create a different Media directory, put a couple of
> MP3, a couple of videos, a couple of photos, unselect your big media
> directory and select the small test directory, index that. When you
> push the Index button, it stays down until all the media is indexed,
> then pops back out when it is finished.

What will that show? Scout has finished the indexing when I try this.

> The other thing about MediaHome is that it won't transcode everything.
> Don't try to use the individual transcode, just set Auto Detect for

Set to auto, and I'm not even that far yet, because the PS isn't even
seeing the tracks.

> Here is a guide somebody put together with some other DLNA servers:
>
> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158357

WMP sharing won't (WMP 11 on XP Pro), even after making sure that UPnP
is on and ensuring that MediaHome has been shut down. UPnP on the
router is enabled. UPnP on the PS3 shows as "not available", even
after finding the settings to manually configure its connection and
enabling UPnP.

The console is at v2.3, not 2.2.

Updating the firmware in my router makes no difference, nor did
disabling UPnP there, both as suggested by someone else.

Does the PS3 want the server to be on a specific port? And if so,
which one?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"You are not the most popular person in government circles right now."
"So what else is new?" (Sen. Hidoshi and Cmdr. Sinclair, B5 "By Any
Means Necessary")

khee mao

Apr 20, 2008, 8:24:03 PM4/20/08

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <nom...@gordol.org> wrote in message

<snip Jeffrey Kaplan's world of hurt>

ouch.

sorry, man. wish I had more suggestions for you.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 21, 2008, 12:28:58 PM4/21/08
Previously on alt.games.video.sony-playstation3, Jeffrey Kaplan said:

> Updating the firmware in my router makes no difference

The good news is that this seems to have at least cured the problem of
a large download via the PlayStation killing my entire LAN. I was
finally able to download the update to Guitar Hero.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"But the entire Narn delegation has been seated next to the Vrii! An
intolerable situation. Have you ever seen them eat? Oh! That's
horror for you." (Amb. G'Kar, B5 "Survivors")

Blig Merk

Apr 21, 2008, 12:40:27 PM4/21/08
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Yes. I have even specifically created a rule for the MediaHome.exe
> process to allow inbound and outbound for my entire LAN subnet on both
> TCP and UDP. I have also, as someone else suggested, disabled the
> firewall. Neither have worked. I get the same error from the console
> about a DLNA protocol error 4405.

This protocol error is associated with some timing problems and too
many files in the music directory. You don't mention if you tried
putting a few video files and photos in your media directory. If these
are accessible, then that rules out all the connection problems like
firewalls and such.

> > If that is the case, are you sure you are in the Music directory on
> > the XMB when you look for music? The Nero MediaHome icon shows above

> > Once thing with Nero Scout is to try indexing with a small directory

> > at first. Just create a different Media directory, put a couple of
> > MP3, a couple of videos, a couple of photos, unselect your big media
> > directory and select the small test directory, index that. When you
> > push the Index button, it stays down until all the media is indexed,
> > then pops back out when it is finished.
>
> What will that show? Scout has finished the indexing when I try this.

Baby steps. Get something small to work, then build up. Doing this
only takes a couple of minutes, so why not do it? That protocol error
is associated with the indexing not completing 100%, even though it is
showing as finished. If you deselect your giant media directory, then
create a small one like Temp, with just a couple of music, video and
photo files, and that works, then you will know this is where the
problem is. A lot of people with the 4405 error have fixed it by doing
this. There is some point with Nero and music files that this error is
going to show up, something like 1200 titles. Some have cleared this
by going to Tversity but ending up with other limitations.

> WMP sharing won't (WMP 11 on XP Pro), even after making sure that UPnP
> is on and ensuring that MediaHome has been shut down. UPnP on the
> router is enabled. UPnP on the PS3 shows as "not available", even
> after finding the settings to manually configure its connection and
> enabling UPnP.

WMP is a little trickier to set up than Nero. Also, it has the same
error with too many music files in one directory.

> The console is at v2.3, not 2.2.

Yes, that is the latest update.

> Does the PS3 want the server to be on a specific port? And if so,
> which one?

No, although some people have found problems with Linksys routers
needing a specific port to the PS3. Linksys acknowledges some kind of
problem but can't offer a fix. Usually, people find a port to forward
and that fixes things. Doesn't sound like your problem though because
you are seeing MediaHome recognized on your PS3.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 21, 2008, 4:53:56 PM4/21/08
Previously on alt.games.video.sony-playstation3, Blig Merk said:

> > firewall. Neither have worked. I get the same error from the console
> > about a DLNA protocol error 4405.
> This protocol error is associated with some timing problems and too
> many files in the music directory. You don't mention if you tried
> putting a few video files and photos in your media directory. If these
> are accessible, then that rules out all the connection problems like
> firewalls and such.

I had asked what that would show when it was suggested, and until now
that was not answered.

> > What will that show? Scout has finished the indexing when I try this.
> Baby steps. Get something small to work, then build up. Doing this
> only takes a couple of minutes, so why not do it? That protocol error
> is associated with the indexing not completing 100%, even though it is
> showing as finished. If you deselect your giant media directory, then
> create a small one like Temp, with just a couple of music, video and
> photo files, and that works, then you will know this is where the
> problem is. A lot of people with the 4405 error have fixed it by doing
> this. There is some point with Nero and music files that this error is
> going to show up, something like 1200 titles. Some have cleared this
> by going to Tversity but ending up with other limitations.

Only 1200? Then Nero MediaHome isn't the answer for me, as according
to Winamp, I currently have 4932 audio tracks. I'll give Tversity a
try.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Tips for the Trusted Lieutenant: 3. If you gloat and boast, don't be
surprised if a comrade of the person you have at your mercy jumps you
from behind while you're distracted with your boasting.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 21, 2008, 10:05:13 PM4/21/08
Previously on alt.games.video.sony-playstation3, Jeffrey Kaplan said:

> > this. There is some point with Nero and music files that this error is
> > going to show up, something like 1200 titles. Some have cleared this
> > by going to Tversity but ending up with other limitations.
>
> Only 1200? Then Nero MediaHome isn't the answer for me, as according
> to Winamp, I currently have 4932 audio tracks. I'll give Tversity a
> try.

Well, TVersity works, sort-of. Not sure if the "problem" I now have is
due to a limitation in TVersity or in the Playstation: I can now see
all of the media I want to see from my computer via the Playstation,
but I can only shuffle-play tracks from a single directory, not the
entire library, and the Playstation won't let me build a playlist
because the files are not on the local drive.

Guess I'll try the external drive method next, and see how long it
takes for the Playstation to index it, and how thing will screw up when
I add/move stuff around on it.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Back off, Angsty Dentist! I've got doilies, and I know how to use
them!" - Torg, Sluggy Freelance

Blig Merk

Apr 22, 2008, 11:07:17 AM4/22/08
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Guess I'll try the external drive method next, and see how long it
> takes for the Playstation to index it, and how thing will screw up when
> I add/move stuff around on it.

The external drive doesn't index the files, it just sees them as
files. But it also does not have the features of a media server that
allow sorting by author, titles, album, etc. It is just going to show
the files by their filename, no author or album and in a long column
in the XMB if there are a few thousand files. A lot of people complain
about this and it might be addressed in some future firmware update.

When you finally play a song, press Square multiple times to change
the visualization. There are only three and two are pretty standard,
the streaming ribbon and the color waves. The third one shows what
the PS3 can really do.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 22, 2008, 12:56:15 PM4/22/08
Previously on alt.games.video.sony-playstation3, Blig Merk said:

> Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> > Guess I'll try the external drive method next, and see how long it
> > takes for the Playstation to index it, and how thing will screw up when
> > I add/move stuff around on it.
>
> The external drive doesn't index the files, it just sees them as

No, but the PS apparently does. As a quick test, I plugged my iPod
into it, and it was seen. The Playstation started to index what was on
it, I could watch the track counter go up. I then stopped it, but it
would not resume when going back into the Music tab. (My iPod has only
a subset of my entire collection.) It didn't recognize my older Zen at
all.

I'm having trouble getting my external drive formatted properly for the
Playstation, my copy of Windows simply refuses to format it with FAT32.

> When you finally play a song, press Square multiple times to change
> the visualization. There are only three and two are pretty standard,
> the streaming ribbon and the color waves. The third one shows what
> the PS3 can really do.

Found that. You mean the Earth thing? I prefer the wave vis.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #175.
I will have my fortress exorcised regularly. Although ghosts in the
dungeon provide an appropriate atmosphere, they tend to provide
valuable information once placated.

Blig Merk

Apr 22, 2008, 10:30:58 PM4/22/08
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> No, but the PS apparently does. As a quick test, I plugged my iPod
> into it, and it was seen. The Playstation started to index what was on
> it, I could watch the track counter go up. I then stopped it, but it
> would not resume when going back into the Music tab. (My iPod has only

No, it is not indexing. It is over USB and USB transfer is not
instantaneous. It is reading the file information in and it is just
taking time to read the header of each file when there are so many of
them.

> a subset of my entire collection.) It didn't recognize my older Zen at
> all.

Even the PC needs a driver to recognize the Zen. The PS3 does not use
PC architecture, therefore does not run the X86 code, so there isn't
going to be a driver for devices that need them.

> I'm having trouble getting my external drive formatted properly for the
> Playstation, my copy of Windows simply refuses to format it with FAT32.

Like I said before, XP only formats FAT32 up to 32GB. Use a third
party program like Partition Magic or a freeware like CompuApps
SwissKnife.

Here is a tutorial for custom songs for games that support but it is
also a tutorial for using Ipod to get music to your PS3 as well as
creating playlists:

Starting from the PS3 home menu...

Step 1 - Plug your iPod cable into your iPod and into any PS3 USB
port.

Step 2 - Create a new music playlist.

Step 3 - Go to the Music tab.

Step 4 - Scroll down until you see USB Device (iPod) but don't press X
instead
press Triangle.

Step 5 - You will now see two options: Display All or Information.
Press X on
Display All.

Step 6 - You will now see a list of iPod related categories. Press X
on
iPod_Control.

Step 7 - You will now come across another list of options, but press X
on
Music.

Step 8 - Depending on how many songs you have on your iPod, you will
see a
list of music folders containing all of your music that is currently
on your
iPod. Search the folders by pressing X on any of them and look for the
song(s)
you want to go onto your My MLB Music.

Step 9 - After you find a song that you want, press Triangle on it to
open up
a submenu and press X on Copy.
Note: If the song is not in an mp3 format then it should be in an AAC
format.
This format will cause the name of the song to change to something
unrecognizable like "KGKX", but you can still press X on it and it
will play
the song just fine. This will not harm the file or your iPod.

Step 10 - Let it copy and then press Circle to go back to the previous
screen.

Step 11 - Keep pressing Left or Circle on your controller until you
return
back to the Music tab (step 2).

Step 12 - Scroll down to the music file (it automatically gets paseted
there).

Step 13 - Press X on the music file.

Step 14 - You will now see the music file in the middle of the screen.
Press
Triangle.

Step 15 - You will now see a submenu. Press X on Add to Playlist.

Step 16 - Press X on Playlist.

Note: Repeat steps 9-16 if you'd like to add on more than one song to
save
time before advancing to step 17!

You have just now added the song to your playlist.

Step 17 - Now, start MLB 2008: The Show.

Step 18 - From the main menu, go to the Options tab and press press
down until
the MY MLB MUSIC option is highlighted and press X.

Step 19 - You will now see a submenu. Press X on Load PLAYLIST.

Step 20 - Press X on the playlist to load it and press Circle to
return to the
Options tab.

Step 21 - Press X on MY MLB MUSIC.

Step 22 - You will now see the same submenu from Step 19. Press X on
EDIT
PLAYLIST.

Step 23 - Highlight your song and press X to transfer it over CUSTOM
PLAYLIST
box.

Step 24 - Press Right on your D-Pad to take your cursor over to the
CUSTOM
PLAYLIST box and press START to save it.

Step 25 - After it saves, press Circle to return.

You have just added that song to the game's soundtrack.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 23, 2008, 3:34:57 AM4/23/08
Previously on alt.games.video.sony-playstation3, Blig Merk said:

> > I'm having trouble getting my external drive formatted properly for the
> > Playstation, my copy of Windows simply refuses to format it with FAT32.

This is no longer necessary. I found a DLNA server that works for me,
Twonky. Only issues I've found so far, in the couple of hours I've
been playing with it, is that despite its claim to support the iTunes
database and playlists, it's not showing my iTunes auto-generated
playlists, and it's claiming that avi is an unknown data type.

> Like I said before, XP only formats FAT32 up to 32GB. Use a third
> party program like Partition Magic or a freeware like CompuApps
> SwissKnife.

SwissKnife won't install on my system.

> Here is a tutorial for custom songs for games that support but it is
> also a tutorial for using Ipod to get music to your PS3 as well as
> creating playlists:

Thanks, but while I never said it, I did figure out I can copy the
files over to the internal drive. However, I have a 40G Playstation
and I have 27.2G of media. I don't know what the future holds for me
in terms of downloading content, so I don't want to kill over half the
drive with my media if I can avoid it. Also because some of that media
will be changing on a semi-regular basis as I add and remove files from
the collection on my PC, and I really, really hate double-maintenance.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #35. I
will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look diabolic.
Now they just make you look like a disaffected member of Generation X.

Blig Merk

Apr 23, 2008, 10:57:52 AM4/23/08
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Thanks, but while I never said it, I did figure out I can copy the
> files over to the internal drive. However, I have a 40G Playstation
> and I have 27.2G of media. I don't know what the future holds for me

You just swap out the 40GB drive for another one. It is even in the
manual. Basically any 2.5" SATA notebook PC hard drive is just fine. A
lot of people are putting in 120GB, 250GB, and 320GB. I have had a
500GB since just after launch but it is an external-to-the-case/
internal. The 500GB 2.5" will be showing up in a few weeks. I will
probably go with one of those just to have everything all buttoned up
again.