The Problem with Major Tourneys

glitch

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
I would love to go to a national tourney, but they are just about all in CA.
Now, I am not calling myself a SF master, but, I am sure there are plenty of
SF masters out there who don't want to or can't afford to pay for the plane
trip out there and back (like myself). I am in NO way trying to rip at Mike
Watson, John Choi, or any other well known SF master, but it is very likely
that there are people out there who can beat you consistently, they just
don't have the access needed (say the internet, or the $$) to contact/find
out about/go to tourneys.

I have several friends who kick serious ass in SF, but none of us can really
be sure how good we are 'cause we have only played each other and the boat
load of scrubs that go to the local arcade. Maybe if we could play some
REAL competition, we would know how we stand up (myself probably not very
well).

On a side note, my game is XMvSF (laugh all you want). I consider myself a
XMvSF master (keeping in mind I have never played anyone outside St. Louis).
If anyone in St. Louis thinks they have a chance at beating me in XMvSF,
e-mail me, and we'll meet and play. BTW, can you guys tell me why every SF
"master" hates XMvSF (or any vs game for that matter). So far, I have heard
"They suck" or "They are garbage", but have not heard WHY they think so
lowly of the games. I love em (and so do all of my friends, who I consider
excellent SF players). Any thoughts?

I have played WW through A3, and am moderately skilled, but even at my skill
level, it is a sinch to beat the fuck out of everyone that challenges.

COMPLETELY off the subject, but, what was with those gamest tapes of XMvSF
where Dhalsim did those impossible combos, like:

Standing strong, D+jab, standing strong, yoga noogie, yoga inferno.

I don't think that was the actual combo, but it was something impossible.

-Nick
ina...@concentric.net

Vong (Shinji) Sundara

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
glitch wrote:

> I would love to go to a national tourney, but they are just about all in CA.
> Now, I am not calling myself a SF master, but, I am sure there are plenty of
> SF masters out there who don't want to or can't afford to pay for the plane
> trip out there and back (like myself). I am in NO way trying to rip at Mike
> Watson, John Choi, or any other well known SF master, but it is very likely
> that there are people out there who can beat you consistently, they just
> don't have the access needed (say the internet, or the $$) to contact/find
> out about/go to tourneys.

Very true. I'm the second best in my city and trust me, the numberone guy in this city would do VERY well in those tournaments.
Do I think he can beat Choi and Valle? I don't know, they've
never played but trust me, this guy knows his stuff. Actually
we might go around next year. I'll do okay but I think he has
a good shot at some of those titles.

> I have several friends who kick serious ass in SF, but none of us can really
> be sure how good we are 'cause we have only played each other and the boat
> load of scrubs that go to the local arcade. Maybe if we could play some
> REAL competition, we would know how we stand up (myself probably not very
> well).
>
> On a side note, my game is XMvSF (laugh all you want). I consider myself a
> XMvSF master (keeping in mind I have never played anyone outside St. Louis).
> If anyone in St. Louis thinks they have a chance at beating me in XMvSF,
> e-mail me, and we'll meet and play. BTW, can you guys tell me why every SF
> "master" hates XMvSF (or any vs game for that matter). So far, I have heard
> "They suck" or "They are garbage", but have not heard WHY they think so
> lowly of the games. I love em (and so do all of my friends, who I consider
> excellent SF players). Any thoughts?

Hmmm, Xmen Vs. SF isn't all that bad if you consider it a
fun but loose game. Some people take it too seriously.
I wasn't MEANT to be a serious SF game. I wish they'd
fix the infinites but other than that, the game is kinda fun.
Not my personal favorite but not as bad as other people
think. It's like going to see a movie like Godzilla because
you want high drama and character development. It's
not going to happen!!! It's good for what it was meant to
be. Alpha 3 on the other hand is a different story. Kinda
loose for a "serious" SF game.

- Shinji

Kenta20

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
><HTML><PRE>Subject: The Problem with Major Tourneys
>From: "glitch" <ina...@concentric.net>
>Date: Sat, Aug 22, 1998 01:04 EDT

>BTW, can you guys tell me why every SF
>"master" hates XMvSF (or any vs game for that matter). So far, I have heard
>"They suck" or "They are garbage", but have not heard WHY they think so
>lowly of the games.

To answer your question... Does Infinite combos seem good for a tournament
setting? Whoever gets that infinite combo going, just does the same buttons
over and over.. what skill is involved with that? And yes the VS games were
all meant for just "fun"..

Just for the record, most the top players mentioned in newsgroups and such got
their reputation because they finished in the top places in local if not
distant tournaments... Maybe they can be beaten by some no-name with no
internet or money to travel far away, I'm sure it's possible... but the point
is these guys proved to everyone else that they are in the tops of the game
they play. Also the people mentioned that are the "best" usually have magazine
articles, fanzines, other players, etc ,etc say they are the "best"... they
usually don't say they are, they let others do that.

Evil Ken

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
This post is really funny. I have been around, played in literally
hundreds of tourneys, in CA and out. I have seen the best players in Japan,
TZW and am good friends with the best ever, Tomo.
and I tell you this. People that play in tournaments have the upper hand
vs anyone who doesn't play in tournaments. The pressure, the exitement,
the rock solid style of knowing who to pick vs every character, and the
choke factor. Plus, people in tournaments play much different, much
different.

I once won a tourney on hyper fighting vs a few great blanka players by
useing Guile, sitting there doing NOTHING and just letting time run out for
3 games in a row, 6 rounds straight, not moving out of crouch. I won, but
would you see anybody in practice at the arcade ever do this? HELL No.
But this turtling, well this is just one example, is used in tourneys to
win. Throw patterns too. M.Bison on super turbo, low short back throw, no
way out vs over 10 characters. Do I just sit there int he arcade and throw
people until they are dead? NO. But in a tournament, I am gonna throw you
over and over until you figure out how to get out.

George Ngo was good at this. He played Dhalsim, he had the best dhalsim
ever. he would just throw you over and over and over until you finally
reversed. Does he do this in practice? NO, because nobody would play if
he did that.

Get my point? people do things in tournaments to win. Saying someone who
doesnt play in tournaments could come and kill us all, US, people who play
this game like Alex valle 8 hours a day and know it inside and out, is
absolutley STUPID.

thats my opinion.

glitch <ina...@concentric.net> wrote in article
<6rljh0$8...@chronicle.concentric.net>...

> I would love to go to a national tourney, but they are just about all in
CA.
> Now, I am not calling myself a SF master, but, I am sure there are plenty
of
> SF masters out there who don't want to or can't afford to pay for the
plane
> trip out there and back (like myself). I am in NO way trying to rip at
Mike
> Watson, John Choi, or any other well known SF master, but it is very
likely
> that there are people out there who can beat you consistently, they just
> don't have the access needed (say the internet, or the $$) to
contact/find
> out about/go to tourneys.
>

> I have several friends who kick serious ass in SF, but none of us can
really
> be sure how good we are 'cause we have only played each other and the
boat
> load of scrubs that go to the local arcade. Maybe if we could play some
> REAL competition, we would know how we stand up (myself probably not very
> well).
>
> On a side note, my game is XMvSF (laugh all you want). I consider myself
> XMvSF master (keeping in mind I have never played anyone outside St.
Louis).
> If anyone in St. Louis thinks they have a chance at beating me in XMvSF,

> e-mail me, and we'll meet and play. BTW, can you guys tell me why every

SF
> "master" hates XMvSF (or any vs game for that matter). So far, I have
heard
> "They suck" or "They are garbage", but have not heard WHY they think so

> lowly of the games. I love em (and so do all of my friends, who I
consider
> excellent SF players). Any thoughts?

DanSTurTle

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
Very well said. I think the choke factor is a big part of it. Since I was
recently in a tournament where I got wiped out really fast. They thing is, I
play with the guy who got second place, and I can constantly whoop his ass.
And I kno I could beat all those guys except say for one or two. So this choke
factor is a really good point.

Tournament play is different from regualr play without a doubt. Especially if
the tourney is for something like a title or money, not just some measly
tokens.

glitch

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
>To answer your question... Does Infinite combos seem good for a tournament
>setting? Whoever gets that infinite combo going, just does the same
buttons
>over and over.. what skill is involved with that?

None. Thats why if you do infinites to people, you are not helping
yourself.

Look at it this way, XMvSF is like any other SF game. It has traps,
"cheaps" (which I don't like to call cheaps...more like annoyances), and
lots of strategy (although, I do have to admit, that a scrub can usually do
some damage, even if they don't know what they are doing). The consequence
for screwing up is just MUCH more severe in XMvSF than, say, HF. In HF, if
you miss with a DP, you will probably eat a combo of some sort resulting in
a ~30% loss of life. In XMvSF, if you miss with a dragon punch, get ready
to lose ~80% if I am playing Cyke, Ryu, Ken, Woverine, or Zangief. And I am
not talking about infinites...there are some VERY damaging, non-infinte
combos in that game.

I think that I like XMvSF more than any other SF game because XMvSF is more,
uh, I don't want to say complex cause I would get flamed like crazy,
uh...there's more to it than pre-alpha games. Before, if you jumped at
someone, you are going to get hit. In XMvSF, there are multiple options the
player has. They can air block, jump away (Cyke, Chun Li, Cammy), air move,
land, or super. Tagging added a ton more strategy, 'cause you have to
manage to life bars, and know when is a good time to switch. I guess I like
XMvSF more 'cause there aren't as many limitations as HF (super jumping,
double jumping, are moves, so on and so forth).
I admit that infinites are the stupidest thing in the game, but no one ever
does them when my friends and I are playing, it just takes so much away from
the game. If two XMvSF masters play each other (barring infinites..which,
like I said, never come up during friendly play), the game is fucking fun as
hell.

I love WW, HF, ST, the A series and I even like SF3, but I just took such a
liking to XMvSF (probably cause that is all my arcade had for THREE
years...dear god that was hell).

-Nick
ina...@concentric.net

Awaiting many a flame, telling me how much I suck cause like XMvSF.

glitch

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
>US, people who play
>this game like Alex valle 8 hours a day and know it inside and out, is
>absolutley STUPID.

Wow. 8 hours? Thats pretty long. But don't you see? There are probably
other people out there that play just as long, if not longer, and know the
game inside and out. Thats all I'm trying to say...just cause they (Valle,
Watson, Choi and others) are the only SF masters known, doesn't mean that
they are the only SF masters.

-Nick
ina...@concentric.net

P.S. You say you won some major tournaments? Whats your name?

RD

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On 22 Aug 1998 10:56:04 PDT, "glitch" <ina...@concentric.net> wrote:

>>US, people who play
>>this game like Alex valle 8 hours a day and know it inside and out, is
>>absolutley STUPID.
>

>Wow. 8 hours? Thats pretty long. But don't you see? There are probably
>other people out there that play just as long, if not longer, and know the
>game inside and out. Thats all I'm trying to say...just cause they (Valle,
>Watson, Choi and others) are the only SF masters known, doesn't mean that
>they are the only SF masters.

But at a local arcade level says nothing about the true skill of a
'master', only those who can say they've competed against all comers,
have the true proof. Certainly it's not definitive of their ranking,
but it's MUCH more than someone who hasn't.

jason nelson

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

Evil Ken wrote:

> This post is really funny. I have been around, played in literally
> hundreds of tourneys, in CA and out. I have seen the best players in Japan,
> TZW and am good friends with the best ever, Tomo.
> and I tell you this. People that play in tournaments have the upper hand
> vs anyone who doesn't play in tournaments. The pressure, the exitement,
> the rock solid style of knowing who to pick vs every character, and the
> choke factor. Plus, people in tournaments play much different, much
> different.
>
> I once won a tourney on hyper fighting vs a few great blanka players by
> useing Guile, sitting there doing NOTHING and just letting time run out for
> 3 games in a row, 6 rounds straight, not moving out of crouch. I won, but
> would you see anybody in practice at the arcade ever do this? HELL No.
> But this turtling, well this is just one example, is used in tourneys to
> win. Throw patterns too. M.Bison on super turbo, low short back throw, no
> way out vs over 10 characters. Do I just sit there int he arcade and throw
> people until they are dead? NO. But in a tournament, I am gonna throw you
> over and over until you figure out how to get out.
>
> George Ngo was good at this. He played Dhalsim, he had the best dhalsim
> ever. he would just throw you over and over and over until you finally
> reversed. Does he do this in practice? NO, because nobody would play if
> he did that.
>
> Get my point? people do things in tournaments to win. Saying someone who

> doesnt play in tournaments could come and kill us all, US, people who play

> this game like Alex valle 8 hours a day and know it inside and out, is
> absolutley STUPID.
>

> ats my opinion.
> i agree no one should play 8 hours a day,but if you are that passionate

about winning tourneys than do all u can.just like sports,if you goto practice
once in awhile or workout once in awhile u never will be a top
contender.besides all thatthe people u practice with plays a significant role
as well.thats why l.a. and sunnyvale
have won tourneys back and forth over the years.
thats my opinion

winners throw losers complain

Onaje Everett

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
glitch wrote:

> >To answer your question... Does Infinite combos seem good for a tournament
> >setting? Whoever gets that infinite combo going, just does the same
> buttons
> >over and over.. what skill is involved with that?
>
> None. Thats why if you do infinites to people, you are not helping
> yourself.

You are if you're winning tournaments...which was Kenta's point.

I consider myself a "master" at XSF, also...which is why I'm going to
say this and be done with it:

XSF does not require 1/3 of the skill necessary to play any other
fighting game out there outside of the Marvel series. MSH actually
requires more skill, but it also pales in comparison to many other games
out there (Capcom and non-Capcom games).

> Look at it this way, XMvSF is like any other SF game. It has traps,
> "cheaps" (which I don't like to call cheaps...more like annoyances), and
> lots of strategy (although, I do have to admit, that a scrub can usually do
> some damage, even if they don't know what they are doing).

I rest my case. If a "scrub" can do it, doesn't it mean that it
requires less skill? Yes, it does.

The consequence
> for screwing up is just MUCH more severe in XMvSF than, say, HF. In HF, if
> you miss with a DP, you will probably eat a combo of some sort resulting in
> a ~30% loss of life.

Heh...I can do MUCH better than that. I usually dizzy people off of
those in any pre-Alpha game...with the right characters, of course.

> In XMvSF, if you miss with a dragon punch, get ready
> to lose ~80% if I am playing Cyke, Ryu, Ken, Woverine, or Zangief. And I am
> not talking about infinites...there are some VERY damaging, non-infinte
> combos in that game.

EXACTLY! It comes down to one mistake...which any human being is
capable of. In any other series, you aren't penalized that severely for
one little lapse in judgement. THAT is what makes XSF less skillful.

> I think that I like XMvSF more than any other SF game because XMvSF is more,
> uh, I don't want to say complex cause I would get flamed like crazy,
> uh...there's more to it than pre-alpha games. Before, if you jumped at
> someone, you are going to get hit. In XMvSF, there are multiple options the
> player has. They can air block, jump away (Cyke, Chun Li, Cammy), air move,
> land, or super. Tagging added a ton more strategy, 'cause you have to
> manage to life bars, and know when is a good time to switch. I guess I like
> XMvSF more 'cause there aren't as many limitations as HF (super jumping,
> double jumping, are moves, so on and so forth).

It's more fun, not more skillful. Different strokes for different
folks, however, don't confuse fun with good gameplay.

My keyboard is working awfully well for some odd reason, BTW. :)

> I admit that infinites are the stupidest thing in the game, but no one ever
> does them when my friends and I are playing, it just takes so much away from
> the game. If two XMvSF masters play each other (barring infinites..which,
> like I said, never come up during friendly play), the game is fucking fun as
> hell.

Yeah...but when do the limits stop? See, you're missing the point. You
don't evaluate the game at the level that YOU are CHOOSING to play it
at. You evaluate it by taking EVERYTHING into
consideration....otherwise, it's not a complete and accurate analysis.

> I love WW, HF, ST, the A series and I even like SF3, but I just took such a
> liking to XMvSF (probably cause that is all my arcade had for THREE
> years...dear god that was hell).

You should play MSH more. THAT game is not only more fun, but it's also
more skillful. You actually have to WORK for those OTG and juggle
combos. TIMING is important in that game. The gems make it
interesting, too. Sure, it has infinites...but many fewer than XSF
does...not to mention that they're much harder to so since regular
jumping attacks don't activate the flying screen.

BTW, now that I can type....I did like your FAQ, however, IIRC, you had
a lot of combos in there that were either just like James Chen's combos
or were simply kicks instead of punches. I'm not trying to say that you
tried to steal them or anything because maybe you didn't notice. You
DID have a few good combos that I wouldn't have thought of, though.
Those I was impressed with. If anything, get James' XSF Combo FAQ and
look at it compared to yours. You'll find that what I'm saying isn't
too far off. Oh...and the format could stand to be a little bit
neater...but I'm nitpicking. :)

--
Bottom Line: ('cause I KNOW my XSF, dagnabit!!!)

Onaje Everett teve...@pacbell.net
Meaning: The Sensitive One
IRC and ICQ Nicknames: FreshOJ, DaJooce
Other Nicknames: The Juice, Combo "Master", "That Guy That Knows Stuff"
Mantra: "I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me."
-Phillipians 4:13

Onaje Everett

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
glitch wrote:

> >US, people who play
> >this game like Alex valle 8 hours a day and know it inside and out, is
> >absolutley STUPID.
>
> Wow. 8 hours? Thats pretty long. But don't you see? There are probably
> other people out there that play just as long, if not longer, and know the
> game inside and out. Thats all I'm trying to say...just cause they (Valle,
> Watson, Choi and others) are the only SF masters known, doesn't mean that
> they are the only SF masters.

However, until they prove themselves...they, effectively, don't exist.

--
Bottom Line: ('cause you can't be the best unless you've played the
best. Everything else is conjecture and theory.)

glitch

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
>BTW, now that I can type....I did like your FAQ, however, IIRC, you had
>a lot of combos in there that were either just like James Chen's combos
>or were simply kicks instead of punches.

That is exactly why I never looked at his FAQ. I heard that it was the best
XMvSF FAQ, so I didn't look at it (I didn't want anyone to think that I just
stuck his combos in there and slapped my name on it). Like it says at the
top of my FAQ, all those combos were either found by myself, or friends
showed them to me. I never used any resources for that other than myself
and a few friends. But here we go again with the "Hey, that's MY combo!"
crap. No body can stake claim to have invented any combo out there, cause
with so many people playing the game, who is to say who actaully came up
with the combo first (and who really cares. Everyone steals everybody esles
shit, and not just combos/strategies. Look at the music industry.)

>I'm not trying to say that you
>tried to steal them or anything because maybe you didn't notice. You
>DID have a few good combos that I wouldn't have thought of, though.
>Those I was impressed with.

Why, thank you very much.

Is his FAQ at www.gamefaqs.com? If not, where is it?

>Oh...and the format could stand to be a little bit
>neater...but I'm nitpicking. :)

Heh, yeah, I did rush it. I just wanted to get it out before the game got
any older.

-Nick
ina...@concentric.net

Evil Ken

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
Ok once again, you dont understand. i will help you. You see when Alex
plays vs Me, Mike watson, Martin Vega and others that are gauranteed top 10
in the nation all day long you get good fast. Ask anoyone. People in LA
that play in our group are all hell of good. because good competition
breeds good players.

glitch <ina...@concentric.net> wrote in article

<6rn0nk$c...@chronicle.concentric.net>...

> >US, people who play
> >this game like Alex valle 8 hours a day and know it inside and out, is
> >absolutley STUPID.
>

> Wow. 8 hours? Thats pretty long. But don't you see? There are
probably
> other people out there that play just as long, if not longer, and know
the
> game inside and out. Thats all I'm trying to say...just cause they
(Valle,
> Watson, Choi and others) are the only SF masters known, doesn't mean that
> they are the only SF masters.

David Alexander S Dial

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <6rljh0$8...@chronicle.concentric.net>,

glitch <ina...@concentric.net> wrote:
>I would love to go to a national tourney, but they are just about all in CA.
>Now, I am not calling myself a SF master, but, I am sure there are plenty of
>SF masters out there who don't want to or can't afford to pay for the plane
>trip out there and back (like myself). I am in NO way trying to rip at Mike
>Watson, John Choi, or any other well known SF master, but it is very likely
>that there are people out there who can beat you consistently, they just
>don't have the access needed (say the internet, or the $$) to contact/find
>out about/go to tourneys.

I won't even go on with this. It's been argued too many times. While
there is the possibility that maybe someONE, someWHERE could consistently
defeat veteran tournament players, without having ever faced high quality
competition... it just isn't bloody LIKELY.

>On a side note, my game is XMvSF (laugh all you want). I consider myself a
>XMvSF master (keeping in mind I have never played anyone outside St. Louis).

You hesitate to give credit to proven SF "Masters", saying that there are
probably some players out there that can consistently defeat them, yet
you call yourself a master in a game where you have never played anyone
outside your own area? Allow me to join in. I'm an XvSF master. I've
never played in an XvSF tournament before in my life, and I rarely play
it in 2 player competition. But I'm a master of the game. Ask anybody.
Anybody that knows me that is...

>If anyone in St. Louis thinks they have a chance at beating me in XMvSF,
>e-mail me, and we'll meet and play. BTW, can you guys tell me why every SF
>"master" hates XMvSF (or any vs game for that matter). So far, I have heard
>"They suck" or "They are garbage", but have not heard WHY they think so
>lowly of the games. I love em (and so do all of my friends, who I consider

>excellennt SF players). Any thoughts?

How much time do you have? Do you want specifics? Allow me to go into
detail:

1. Chain combos.

By making normal moves bufferable into normal moves, Capcom effectively
took out almost all the skill found in their previous fighting games. No
longer was timing as crucial as it was before - simply land a jab or
short, and mindlessly go into either a zigzag button sequence, or a
sequence from weaker to stronger hits, depending on the character. Anyone
walking up to the game for the first time could land a 4-6 hit combo,
without ever repeating the same button, and without a special or super
being performed.

2. Supers as double button instead of double motion.

It takes far less skill to press two buttons than it is to do a joystick
motion two times... ESPECIALLY in combos. Once again, timing was not
crucial any longer.

3. Chain into Super.

Not only did the one jab or short that you landed automatically guarantee
you a multi hit combo... at the end of that combo you could now tack on a
super for even more hits. 20+ hit combos are now the NORM rather than the
exception. More importantly, 50%+ damage combos are now the norm.

All from one jab or short.

4. Whacked balance.

The smallest, quickest character will usually win. Otherwise, Capcom has
put in some character whose moves have insanely high priority. Once you
find this character, you will win whenever you pick him. Many times, this
character is also the smallest quickest character.

5. Airblocking ANYTHING.

No longer do you have to worry about jumping in on your opponent. If you
jumped at the wrong time, you can airblock WHATEVER they stick out. Bye
Bye Strategy....

6. Since XvSF is "your game", I'll concentrate on that game for
this argument. And just to be EXTREMELY anal, I'll go into specifics -

(all depending on the version of the game)

A) Akuma has 4 infinites.

B) Magneto has 2 infinites.

C) Juggernaut has an infinite.

D) Dhalsim has 4 infinites.

E) Bison has an infinite.

F) Sabretooth has an infinite.

G) Storm has 3 infinites.

H) Chun Li has 2 infinites.

I) Zangief has 2 infinites.

J) Gambit has 3 infinites.

K) Rogue has 4 (actually, 6) infinites.

L) Cammy has 2 infinites.

M) Charlie has an infinite.

N) Wolverine has an infinite.

O) Cyclops has 5 infinites.

P) Ryu has 4 infinites.

Q) Ken has 3 infinites.

Actually, there are more infinites that I know exist... these are only
the ones that I know the EXACT button presses to. That is EVERY SINGLE
CHARACTER in the game. For that to happen, the game is FUCKED UP, plain
and SIMPLE. But did it end with XvSF? Lessee here...

MSF - Spidey has an infinite, Wolvie has at least 2...

MvC - Gambit has an infinite, supposedly others in the game.

The infinites didn't stop at the first in the vs. series... they went ON.
So... in essence, the SERIES is FUCKED UP.

As 2 player fighting games, the VS series in general is a JOKE. As puzzle
games, where the object is to find the infinite, they rule (well, XvSF
does... the other two games are trash because they try to be something
they aren't - quality fighting games).

BAH! I could go on and on about why the series is trash, but I'm tired...

>I have played WW through A3, and am moderately skilled, but even at my skill
>level, it is a sinch to beat the fuck out of everyone that challenges.

Quite simply, you need to face different competition.

>COMPLETELY off the subject, but, what was with those gamest tapes of XMvSF
>where Dhalsim did those impossible combos, like:
>
>Standing strong, D+jab, standing strong, yoga noogie, yoga inferno.
>
>I don't think that was the actual combo, but it was something impossible.

The Gamest tape uses a different version of the game than the one you are
playing on. Some combos are not possible on our versions.

David Alexander S. Dial

"Stop whining. If it's in the game, it's in the game."

dd...@crl.com

pnt

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

:MvC - Gambit has an infinite, supposedly others in the game.

Fun fun fun!

Chun Li has an infinite: start your air combo by launching,
and hit jab short strong down+forward, repeat.
the timing on the butttons is a little trickier than your
average air combo: just hit them slower than you normally
would.

Spidey has one. standing jab, strong, jab spider sting. repeat

Wolvie, i've only seen a pseudo-infinite, it can be done in
his speed super. when the speed ends, just chain to berserker
barrage x. ^^

I know morrigan has an infinite that works against a cornered
opponent, i saw someone at good times perform it--but i don't
know what it is.

war machine has an air infinite, i don't know it either, but
it involves using his air dash.

jin has a strange infinite: if you use his taunt and mash
the buttons to set his back on fire, and you are in the corner
and your opponent lands on the fire, he will juggle forever

David Alexander S Dial

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <6rpals$hn4$4...@nw003t.infi.net>,

pnt <drw...@richmond.infi.net> wrote:

>:MvC - Gambit has an infinite, supposedly others in the game.
>

>Fun fun fun!
>
>Chun Li has an infinite: start your air combo by launching,
>and hit jab short strong down+forward, repeat.

It ends when you reach the corner. That's not an infinite.

>Spidey has one. standing jab, strong, jab spider sting. repeat

That works in MvC? That's bah..

>I know morrigan has an infinite that works against a cornered
>opponent, i saw someone at good times perform it--but i don't
>know what it is.

Another reason to hate the game.

>war machine has an air infinite, i don't know it either, but
>it involves using his air dash.

And another.

>jin has a strange infinite: if you use his taunt and mash
>the buttons to set his back on fire, and you are in the corner
>and your opponent lands on the fire, he will juggle forever

I haven't seen it done, but I remember this one being mentioned... a
TAUNT infinite. Now THERE'S a quality game for you.

The versus series is trash. Let's just face facts. I'll still play XvSF,
if only to find infinites, but that just proves that the game is trash as
a true fighter.

DanSTurTle

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Let's not forget the Zangief infinite, but if you can pull that one off, timing
and all, you deserve to win. Least I think so.

RD

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>As 2 player fighting games, the VS series in general is a JOKE. As puzzle
>games, where the object is to find the infinite, they rule (well, XvSF
>does... the other two games are trash because they try to be something
>they aren't - quality fighting games).

Does it say that on the front?, damn i must not have been out there in
awhile. It's almost on par with a "who's the best character" thread
=). Actually it's getting closer to a generalized sony/sega/nintendo
form.

For my information, how much were infinites used at the last couple of
tourneys?

>BAH! I could go on and on about why the series is trash, but I'm tired...

I guess i could add to the conversation so i'll try. I see the "scrub
friendly" angle, but it doesn't work... scrubs are usually the first
to go... it may be a little tougher fight. it's a good touch for the
small market areas, had it been any other game there'd be no challenge
to an self-proclaimed expert. It actually adds a element of challenge
knowing that your off day could get you beat by a newbie just pushing
buttons, it may be skewed, but it's the same on both sides of the
joystick. I find it boring at times, but not much more so than a ST
or a A2. There may be reasons why the game is different, but once
we've turned it into an orange, we can't compare it as the apple.

Viscant

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>For my information, how much were infinites used at the last couple of
>tourneys?

I'll tell you about the last one, the Vegas one. Zero infinites were used! Oh
sure, people had them in the bag. But thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and
zero infinites were even attempted. Score a point for artificial balance
(maybe the same way that agreeing not to use Akuma can "balance" SF3:SIGA), and
score huge points for human decency.

mdr...@webtv.net

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
O.k., here is my take on this subject. My friends and I used to think we
were really good at A2, until we went to a tournament at Super Just
Games. After that experience we realized that we might be good for our
area, but compared to the national level, we are at best intermediate.

I think another thing to consider here is how, and what kind of access
some people have, compared to what others don't. For example, Calfornia
players had access to A2 way before any of the other locations, so
naturally they will have more experience at the game and win more often.
Another example is, what if a person lives in a suck state, (like
Wisconsin) where there is very little good arcades. How do you think
they will compare to all the California players? Not very well in my
opinion. Let's see how well all of the California players do if they
don't have constant access to all the SFs. I am by no means saying all
the California players suck, I just would like to see the roles reversed
for once.

Beef

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 mdr...@webtv.net wrote:

> O.k., here is my take on this subject. My friends and I used to think we
> were really good at A2, until we went to a tournament at Super Just
> Games. After that experience we realized that we might be good for our
> area, but compared to the national level, we are at best intermediate.
>
> I think another thing to consider here is how, and what kind of access
> some people have, compared to what others don't. For example, Calfornia
> players had access to A2 way before any of the other locations, so
> naturally they will have more experience at the game and win more often.
> Another example is, what if a person lives in a suck state, (like
> Wisconsin)

Boy, I know you aren't talking smack. WISCONSIN RULES ALL. COME FORTH
AND GET KICKED. MY MAMA CAN WHIP YOU ASS! ALL WILL BOW BEFORE THE GREAT
POWER OF TEAM WISCONSIN. CHEEZEHEADS UNITE! CHOI, VALLE, BEASELY (sp),
WATSON, AND CANNON ALL COWER IN FEAR BEFORE OUR MIGHT. WE HAVE THE
CHEEZE, WE HAVE THE SKILLZ, WE HAVE THE BALLZ! COME GET SOME!

Just kidding. But why don't you pick one someone else. No one ever makes
fun of Mississippi or Kansas, why do you have to finger us? ;p

Just out of curiosity, which state are you from?

where there is very little good arcades. How do you think
> they will compare to all the California players? Not very well in my
> opinion. Let's see how well all of the California players do if they
> don't have constant access to all the SFs. I am by no means saying all
> the California players suck, I just would like to see the roles reversed
> for once.

Mark
Poster and Speaker of Useless
Things, Holder of Big Sigs and Milwaukee Man
Extrordinaire.

mcar...@csd.uwm.edu

SF Code v5.0
{K(SFA2)++ R(II)++ I(I)+>++ All(EX+@)+}
[ac ch- cn c+ cc+ 2+ g m+ n+:- o++ os+ p
r(++ARK) +s+ sp- st+ ta t tm-- th- tr--:+ v++]

mdr...@webtv.net

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
I AM FROM WISCONSIN!! It sucks as far as arcades go! I'm not saying
there aren't any good arcades, it's just they are far and few between.
Especially ones that get games at the time of their release, the arcades
near me get them about a year after their release date, if they get them
at all. The last SF I saw anywhere near me was SF3. I'm not saying
Wisconsin players suck, just that compared to California players are
better because they have better access to SF than we do.

I know that the players outside of the state are better than us. I was
at the tournament in Illinois. I did half way decent but did not place.
The guys that did place were from other states. I am relatively good
with Akuma and they still took me out, it was a humbling experience. I
don't think I am all that anymore.

Beef

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 mdr...@webtv.net wrote:

> I AM FROM WISCONSIN!! It sucks as far as arcades go! I'm not saying
> there aren't any good arcades, it's just they are far and few between.
> Especially ones that get games at the time of their release, the arcades
> near me get them about a year after their release date, if they get them
> at all. The last SF I saw anywhere near me was SF3. I'm not saying
> Wisconsin players suck, just that compared to California players are
> better because they have better access to SF than we do.

No doubt. I just like going into big head mode. Where are you at? I'd
like to play you. I'm in Milwaukee. There's about three or four other
guys that I know of that play it seriously. The rest have this strange
affliction that doesn't allow them to play anyone but shotos. I'm the
best of the bunch, not to pat myself on the back or anything, but I'd
probably get waxed two rounds into a tournament.

> I know that the players outside of the state are better than us. I was
> at the tournament in Illinois. I did half way decent but did not place.
> The guys that did place were from other states. I am relatively good
> with Akuma and they still took me out, it was a humbling experience. I
> don't think I am all that anymore.

Which version of SF was it? Just out of curiousity. I'd love to get into
a tournament, but lack the funds or the car to do it. Plus, the nearest
place that I know of that has consistant tounaments is Chicago and if I'm
going THERE, I wanna bring at least someone besides me. It's kinda hard
to represent all by your lonesome.

mdr...@webtv.net

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
I am from Medford, which is kinda the middle of the state. It is about
a three hour drive from here to Milwaukee. Do you have a decent arcade
by you? The nearest arcade I have is about 45 miles away, and all they
get is the Versus series. The last real SF they had was Super.
I have not found anyone besides my friends that play SF. My best
friend Wayne, and I are the best of the group. I am good with Akuma and
he is good with Dhalsim, Dan, and Gen. We both beat a couple of people
at the tourney but could not place.

The games we played at the tournament were: A2, A3, Super Turbo, and
SF32i. The only two we actually entered were A2 and A3.
Super Just Games is a nice arcade. Wayne and I plan to enter the
tournament again next year. We might even make a few trips down there in
between.

Bob Crockett

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:14:18 -0500 (CDT), mdr...@webtv.net wrote:

>O.k., here is my take on this subject. My friends and I used to think we
>were really good at A2, until we went to a tournament at Super Just
>Games. After that experience we realized that we might be good for our
>area, but compared to the national level, we are at best intermediate.
>
>I think another thing to consider here is how, and what kind of access
>some people have, compared to what others don't. For example, Calfornia
>players had access to A2 way before any of the other locations, so
>naturally they will have more experience at the game and win more often.
>Another example is, what if a person lives in a suck state, (like

>Wisconsin) where there is very little good arcades. How do you think

>they will compare to all the California players? Not very well in my
>opinion. Let's see how well all of the California players do if they
>don't have constant access to all the SFs. I am by no means saying all
>the California players suck, I just would like to see the roles reversed
>for once.

I know how you feel, I live in Erie, PA, and I must say the arcades
totally suck. The newest SF game we have anywhere near is Marvel vs.
Capcom. No SFIII, a movie theatre had SFA2, but traded it in for
Marvel vs. Capcom. The competition is pretty much non-exsistent, so I
end up playing against the cpu pretty much all day.