GTA movie

Beck

Nov 30, 2002, 6:53:53 AM11/30/02
In the new ps2 official mag, there is a snippet of rumour info to say that
Rockstar are planning a GTA movie. Its bound to flop, all game to movies
flop. I expect Max Payne to do the same when it is released aswell

Beck

StainlessSteelRat

Nov 30, 2002, 6:55:50 AM11/30/02

Tomb Raider and Resident Evil did pretty well, so it's not a given.

--
StainlessSteelRat
"I got a full-on robot chubby."

kjk

Nov 30, 2002, 7:34:50 AM11/30/02

"StainlessSteelRat" <stains...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Beck wrote:
> > In the new ps2 official mag, there is a snippet of rumour info to say
> > that Rockstar are planning a GTA movie. Its bound to flop, all game
> > to movies flop. I expect Max Payne to do the same when it is
> > released aswell
>
> Tomb Raider and Resident Evil did pretty well, so it's not a given.

Resident Evil was a very nicely done movie, but it by no means was a
blockbuster.

Tomb Raider was complete garbage.

And I don't understand why Rockstar would want to make a GTA movie ? The
games have nearly sold as much as the entire Indiana Jones franchise
combined. More money is invested in filmmaking than games, and judging from
history, a GTA movie will have MUCH less payoff. But if they want to go
ahead and do it, by all means. More to add to the GTA universe. Connect
Vercetti and the thug from GTA3 in some way in the movie. It'd be worth the
pay of admission.

StainlessSteelRat

Nov 30, 2002, 7:47:38 AM11/30/02
kjk wrote:
>>> In the new ps2 official mag, there is a snippet of rumour info to
>>> say that Rockstar are planning a GTA movie. Its bound to flop, all
>>> game to movies flop. I expect Max Payne to do the same when it is
>>> released aswell
>>
>> Tomb Raider and Resident Evil did pretty well, so it's not a given.
>
> Resident Evil was a very nicely done movie, but it by no means was a
> blockbuster.
>
> Tomb Raider was complete garbage.

IYO sure, but I liked it.

> And I don't understand why Rockstar would want to make a GTA movie ?

$$$$$$$$$?

--
StainlessSteelRat
"Don't overlook my butt, I work out all the time. And reaping burns a

Blade

Nov 30, 2002, 11:08:22 AM11/30/02
I also liked Tomb Raider.
OK it will never be in the top 100 or anything but its a good film

Papyrus Tandoori

Nov 30, 2002, 1:17:18 PM11/30/02
I think a GTA movie would be absolutely retarded...

It couldn't include the things that make GTA GTA (randomly mowing down
people every now and then for the fun of it, making it to the pay n spray
just in time with cop cars crashing into the garage door behind you, and
then not recognizing you when you come out, finding a glowing rampage icon
and burning down triads with a flamethrower for 2 minutes, and so on)...
without these things it would just be a normal style gangster movie, and
I'll reckon a bad one.

-PT

"Blade" <s6kN...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

kjk

Nov 30, 2002, 9:17:48 PM11/30/02

> IYO sure, but I liked it.

No not in my opinion, my opinion has nothing to do with it. Tomb Raider was
a very poorly made film, it was incoherent and trashy and ultimately
insulting. "like" has nothing to do with it. Resident Evil was slick and
stylish. The story doesn't matter and the box office matters less, the way
Resident Evil was told was insanely cool. The way Tomb Raider was told was
"hey look at this, graphics ooooo, boobs with guns oooooo, based on what
game again ? "

> > And I don't understand why Rockstar would want to make a GTA movie ?
>
> $$$$$$$$$?

WTF!?! I just got done telling you that it would cost 5 times as much to
make a movie than a game, and a movie would sell 1/10th as much as GTA games
have sold. Are you honestly insinuating that a Grand Theft Auto movie would
rake in upwards of $700 million dollars ? More than Spider Man and Episode
II combined ? Hubuhduhwuh ?

Peterbilt

Nov 30, 2002, 10:35:39 PM11/30/02
Actually I just saw Payback with Mel Gibson recently and that had a lot of
similarities with Max Payne.

"Beck" <beck...@REMOVEbtopenworld.com> wrote in message

Peterbilt

Nov 30, 2002, 10:42:19 PM11/30/02
In my opinion the best part of Tomb Raider, the movie was the shower scene,
and that was in the first 10 minutes of the film. I was bored to death the
rest of the time and felt they didn't capture the "Tomb Raider" experience
as was intended. After playing all five games, four of which to completion,
I was very disappointed. Resident Evil I thought was a very good action
film. I never really played the games for more than a few minutes, and then
only at a friends house since I don't have any consoles. But the movie
itself I bought on DVD and watched it about three times already, it's one of
my favorite action flicks, right up there with First Blood and The Matrix.

"kjk" <kd...@blahblah.net> wrote in message

Beck

Dec 1, 2002, 6:30:06 AM12/1/02

"Peterbilt" <amazon...@eudoramail.com> wrote in message

> Actually I just saw Payback with Mel Gibson recently and that had a lot of
> similarities with Max Payne.

I must admit though, when I played Max Payne, I thought it would turn into
a good movie because of the storyline. Maybe I used a bad example

Beck

StainlessSteelRat

Dec 1, 2002, 6:58:37 AM12/1/02
kjk wrote:
>> IYO sure, but I liked it.
>
> No not in my opinion, my opinion has nothing to do with it. Tomb
> Raider was a very poorly made film, it was incoherent and trashy and
> ultimately insulting. "like" has nothing to do with it. Resident Evil
> was slick and stylish. The story doesn't matter and the box office
> matters less, the way Resident Evil was told was insanely cool. The
> way Tomb Raider was told was "hey look at this, graphics ooooo, boobs
> with guns oooooo, based on what game again ? "

Well, if you read ahead one post you'll see someone else who liked it, and
all the people I know who have seen it like it also. So opinion has
everything to do with it, or are you really that stupid? I liked the story,
I liked the visuals, and didn't succumb to critical reviews telling me I
shouldn't like it. I like things based on my own tastes, not on what you or
someone else should tell me.

>>> And I don't understand why Rockstar would want to make a GTA movie ?
>>
>> $$$$$$$$$?
>
> WTF!?! I just got done telling you that it would cost 5 times as much
> to make a movie than a game, and a movie would sell 1/10th as much as
> GTA games have sold. Are you honestly insinuating that a Grand Theft
> Auto movie would rake in upwards of $700 million dollars ? More than
> Spider Man and Episode II combined ? Hubuhduhwuh ?

If they didn't think it wouldn't make much $$$$, they wouldn't make it,
moron.

--
StainlessSteelRat
Mathilda: Do you "clean" anyone?

kjk

Dec 1, 2002, 4:14:51 PM12/1/02

> kjk wrote:
> >> IYO sure, but I liked it.
> >
> > No not in my opinion, my opinion has nothing to do with it. Tomb
> > Raider was a very poorly made film, it was incoherent and trashy and
> > ultimately insulting. "like" has nothing to do with it. Resident Evil
> > was slick and stylish. The story doesn't matter and the box office
> > matters less, the way Resident Evil was told was insanely cool. The
> > way Tomb Raider was told was "hey look at this, graphics ooooo, boobs
> > with guns oooooo, based on what game again ? "
>
> Well, if you read ahead one post you'll see someone else who liked it, and
> all the people I know who have seen it like it also. So opinion has
> everything to do with it, or are you really that stupid? I liked the
story,
> I liked the visuals, and didn't succumb to critical reviews telling me I
> shouldn't like it. I like things based on my own tastes, not on what you
or
> someone else should tell me.

Jesus christ, I say "like has nothing to do with it, it was poorly made",
and then you launch into a diatribe about "oh well I like it and that guy
likes it, and we're proud of liking it cuz nobody tells us what to do yee
har !!". For the last time, I'm not telling you what to like, and it isn't
my "opinion", I'm telling you Tomb Raider was a very badly made movie as
compared to say "Barney Live from New York" or "a Ronald McDonald Christmas
: Guest Starring John Holmes", movies of your caliber.

> >> $$$$$$$$$?
> >
> > WTF!?! I just got done telling you that it would cost 5 times as much
> > to make a movie than a game, and a movie would sell 1/10th as much as
> > GTA games have sold. Are you honestly insinuating that a Grand Theft
> > Auto movie would rake in upwards of $700 million dollars ? More than
> > Spider Man and Episode II combined ? Hubuhduhwuh ?
>
> If they didn't think it wouldn't make much $$$$, they wouldn't make it,
> moron.

AHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAA, I get it, you're 14 years old, ahahahaha.

StainlessSteelRat

Dec 1, 2002, 4:51:07 PM12/1/02
kjk wrote:
> Jesus christ, I say "like has nothing to do with it, it was poorly
> made", and then you launch into a diatribe about "oh well I like it
> and that guy likes it, and we're proud of liking it cuz nobody tells
> us what to do yee har !!". For the last time, I'm not telling you
> what to like, and it isn't my "opinion", I'm telling you Tomb Raider
> was a very badly made movie as compared to say "Barney Live from New
> York" or "a Ronald McDonald Christmas
>> Guest Starring John Holmes", movies of your caliber.

And you're obviously not getting it either, I didn't think this movie was
badly made. Other people I know like it and think it was well made. You
don't think this. End of story.

>> If they didn't think it wouldn't make much $$$$, they wouldn't make
>> it, moron.
>
> AHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAA, I get it, you're 14 years old, ahahahaha.

OK, this makes you an embryo I suspect based on your attempts at logic and
reasoning.

--
StainlessSteelRat
"Not only is there no God, but try finding a plumber on Sunday."

Phil7101

Dec 1, 2002, 10:37:10 PM12/1/02
I think a GTA movie could work, if they follow the vague plotline from GTA3 of
the hero being betrayed by his gang at the beginning, escaping from prison and
then working his way up the organized crime ladder to get his revenge.
Of course you're not going to see a lot of things from the game on the big
screen like burning cops with a flamethrower, or clubbing gay construction
workers with a baseball bat, but I think the potential is there for a kickass
movie that incorporates a lot of the game elements like gang warfare,
carjacking, cop chases, street racing etc. Hey and they already have most of
the roles cast already: Michael Madsen, Michael Rapaport, Joey Pants etc...!
The bottom line is that GTA has huge name brand recognition, which
guarantees a huge opening weekend, even if the movie is complete garbage. But
hopefully whoever is in charge will try to make sure it's a GOOD movie and not
just cheap crap churned out to appeal to 12 year olds. And if they don't make
it R-rated, then you know it's a joke. They should really push the envelope of
violence for this movie, look at all the bloodless PG13 dreck that passes for
action movies these days: The scorpion king, Charlie's angels, Tomb raider etc.
The time is right for an all-out balls to the wall violent Scarface-style epic
to remind people what real violence is all about!
The perfect director would be Paul Verhoeven, you know he wouldn't hold back
on the violence, and more importantly, he'd understand the satire of the GTA
world, which is what really sets the game apart from other ultraviolent titles.
So, anyway, I'm all for a GTA movie, as long as they get the right people on
board. But if they cast a rapper in the lead role, or get sponsored by Mountain
Dew, then you know it's in trouble.

Phil7101

Dec 1, 2002, 10:39:44 PM12/1/02
>Actually I just saw Payback with Mel Gibson recently and that had a lot of
>similarities with Max Payne.

Yeah...Payback is a tribute to the hard-ass 70s crime/film noir genre in the
same way that Max Payne is. If MP is done in that style, it'll work. But who
are we kidding, they're probably negotiating with Freddie Prinze Jr as we
speak, with McG to direct.

Fraser

Dec 2, 2002, 1:23:07 PM12/2/02

"Phil7101" <phil...@aol.comomomomom> wrote in message

> The perfect director would be Paul Verhoeven, you know he wouldn't hold
back
> on the violence, and more importantly, he'd understand the satire of the
GTA
> world, which is what really sets the game apart from other ultraviolent
titles.

I second that. Paul V is a great and underrated director. It's a shame most
people cannot see past the violence and special effects in Robocop and
Starship Troopers to see all of the political satire. Very smart movies, if
you don't leave your brain at the door.

F.

James Maxon

Dec 17, 2002, 1:05:49 AM12/17/02
Whether a movie was well made or not is a purely subjective matter. One
person's opinion is not the same as another's. The is no definitive
authority on whether it was well-made, good to watch, or whatever. The only
definitive is whether the movie was profitable. Both Resident Evil and Tomb
Raider made a fair profit in theaters and film purchases (video or dvd).
Obviously Rockstar will do one of the two things every potential producer
for a movie does; 1) take surveys of interest; or 2) go by gut feelings.