Humans and Darkness - Help!

Guy Banham

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99

Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example and
Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.

But what is it? I'm finding the place impossible at night, which is
hampering development.

What is the best way to get light?

Michael J. Kaspar

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Pick one of the following:
1. Kill a fire beetle, loot the eye and put it in your backpack.
2. Buy a lightstone or greater lightstone (probably not high enough to kill
a wisp) and put that in your backpack.
3. Buy a lantern or a torch and put it in your off hand.
4. Have a caster toss infravision on you.
5. Have a caster create a necklace of infravision (don't know the name of
this, but it will disappear when you log).
6. Play with gamma and monitor settings.

--
Michael J. Kaspar
ICQ3025001
Guy Banham <gba...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

^Arakiel^

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
>But what is it? I'm finding the place impossible at night, which is
>hampering development.
>
>What is the best way to get light?

The obvious is buying a Lantern or Torch, and putting in in your secondary
hand. I use a Shiny Brass Shield myself, which gives off a very nice amount
of light, and costs about 20pp, not to mention the SvM of +10 and AC 10.

-A

Mcduff Frostwind

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Several options
get a greater lightstone
get a lantern
if you are a magic user there is always infravision or ultravision

hope that helps

--
One never know.
Do one?

Guy Banham <gba...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example and
> Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.

B. Keith Barbour

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:36:56 GMT, gba...@bigfoot.com (Guy Banham)
wrote:

>Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example and
>Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.
>
>But what is it? I'm finding the place impossible at night, which is
>hampering development.
>
>What is the best way to get light?

I am a human ranger and there really is nothing that's going to
completely aleviate the darkness. I started out with a large lantern
and eventually bought a greater lightstone. As far as I can tell, the
greater lightstone is the best thing available, but still does little
to help a human travel at night. I still can't get through Kithicor
Woods at night, but in other areas, I use landmarks and other
lighted objects to help guide my way.

Keith

Baron Greystone

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99

Michael J. Kaspar wrote in message ...

>Pick one of the following:
>1. Kill a fire beetle, loot the eye and put it in your backpack.
>2. Buy a lightstone or greater lightstone (probably not high enough to
kill
>a wisp) and put that in your backpack.
>3. Buy a lantern or a torch and put it in your off hand.
>4. Have a caster toss infravision on you.
>5. Have a caster create a necklace of infravision (don't know the name of
>this, but it will disappear when you log).
>6. Play with gamma and monitor settings.

Just for clarification, don't literally put the items "in" an actual
"backpack;" put them in an inventory slot, not in your backpack.

William McHarg

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
wrote:

>Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example and
>Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.
>
>But what is it? I'm finding the place impossible at night, which is
>hampering development.
>
>What is the best way to get light?

I was finding it impossible to play at night, even with light sources.
Then I was visiting my brother and saw what his display looked like.
It was my video card drivers. Make sure you have the very latest
drivers for your card.. I think the EQ website has a listing of the
one you need for most cards. It makes a world of difference. Of
course, when my barb shaman made 9th and I got the infravision spell,
it helped even more.. :)

Bill

DzA00

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
unfortunately you cant.... thats why i prefer dark elves. even though theyre
KOS.. they have ultravision ...

Michael J. Kaspar

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
GAH you are of course correct...replace backpack with inventory :P
:::grumble:::

--
Michael J. Kaspar
ICQ3025001
If you see DONOTSPAM in the address, remove to reply

Baron Greystone <baron_g...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Merusalem

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
The following comment refers to my experiences in an open or half-open
environment. Your milage may vary in a thick forest.

The common approach to see in the dark is to get a source of light.

I cannot say that having a few feet of more or less bright light around
me and the rest of the world in total darkness seems to help me a lot.

A lightsource is helpful in dungeons, because usually in a dungeon the
farthest you can see is a few dozen feet anyway. Several of my
characters grew up in Blackburrow, and only the first one ever bought a
lightstone. All others do quite well with a fire beetle eye.

Now, what would you like to see in the outside world? The trees near
you? The ground in front of your feet? The beast that attacks you
because you did not notice it?

Hardly. What you want to see is the slight movement of your prey (or of
the beast that considers you its prey) a stonethrow away. And no
available lightsource will brighten the surroundings that far, not even
a greater lightstone.

So, what can you do? Put away the lightsource, as soon as you leave a
dungeon. Now you think you do not see anything anymore? Not really.

First, make sure that the place where you put your monitor is not lit
brightly. Second, get rid of any bright real-life lightsources within
your view. Now, turning your character around and around, you should be
able to distinguish between nearby things (like the trees around you)
and things farther away.

If you see a movement in the distance somewhere, do not try to make out
its shape (it is too dark for that), try to recognize its movement
pattern. Hobble-hobble - ah, a lion. Sway-sway, OK, a gnoll or goblin.
Floating in the air, a giant spider (you cannot see the legs in the
dark).

In my eyes (no pun intended), a lightsource in the outside world rather
hampers your ability to see what is really important to survive,
because the light will detract you from recognizing the subtle
movements in the dark.

Merusalem

In article <38007a57...@news.force9.net>, gba...@bigfoot.com (Guy

Banham) wrote:
> Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example
> and
> Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.
> But what is it? I'm finding the place impossible at night, which
> is
> hampering development.
> What is the best way to get light?

Mr. Bob

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
In article <3802beba...@news.dimensional.com>,
wmc...@dimensional.com says...

> >Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example and
> >Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.

STOP! Whatever you're in the middle of, get on the boat, go to Qeynos,
and bind there immediately. Even if you are level 1/2!

Toxxulia forest is arguably the worst place for leveling in the game for
beginners.

You can go back later to do a quest or something.

Nirgal

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
The best light source I have found so far is Infravision. I'm a human mage,
when I got the spell at level 16 all my night time problems went away. Ask
a mage lvl 16 or higher to summon a heatstone for you. Put this in your ammo
slot and sometimes you won't even know that it is night time.

It's a summoned item so it will disappear when you camp. I normally give them away to humans that I find. A Greater Lightstone
doesn't compare to
infravision.

Guy Banham <gba...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:38007a57...@news.force9.net...

> Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example and
> Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.

Skip Sanders

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Guy Banham <gba...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example and
> Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.
>
> But what is it? I'm finding the place impossible at night, which is
> hampering development.
>
> What is the best way to get light?

Use Glide, so the ingame gamma slider works.

Have a GOOD monitor, one that, unlike the greatest percentage of them,
allows a REAL range of brightness setting, not the usual 'what looks usable
on the desktop is MAX brightness/contrast' ones.

Carry a Greater Lightstone (lights objects, but not really the ground.)

Get a coldstone from a magician when you plan nightwork (Coldstones are
NORENT, so you will lose it when you log out)

Get a heatstone, as above, or any of several items you can find, that give
you infravision (which doesn't light the ground much, but makes creatures
show in red from body heat, so you can see them better at a distance)

Get infravision or ultravision cast on you by a suitable caster.

Pick places to play at night that aren't so dark. <grin> (Sky clouds
visible is slightly brighter than overcast/nosky)

Chain letters - forwarded to USPIS.

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
I just used the /loc command, and sense heading,
Put them on hotkeys, and constantly hit 'em.

Then I had a Firebeatle eye in my right hand,
Sure, I run into tree's alot,
Another thing that helps is to have NO lights
on in the room that your computer is in.

In article <3800a1ea...@news.gamewood.net>,

b...@gamewood.net (B. Keith Barbour) wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:36:56 GMT, gba...@bigfoot.com (Guy Banham)
> wrote:
>

> >Now, there must be a way of playing a human at night, for example and
> >Erudite in Toxxulia Forest, at low level.
> >
> >But what is it? I'm finding the place impossible at night, which is
> >hampering development.
> >
> >What is the best way to get light?
> >

> I am a human ranger and there really is nothing that's going to
> completely aleviate the darkness. I started out with a large lantern
> and eventually bought a greater lightstone. As far as I can tell, the
> greater lightstone is the best thing available, but still does little
> to help a human travel at night. I still can't get through Kithicor
> Woods at night, but in other areas, I use landmarks and other
> lighted objects to help guide my way.
>
> Keith

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.