Dusting off the enchanter

Tony

Jan 6, 2002, 12:46:14 PM1/6/02
I decided to play my 12 high elf enchanter again after several months of not
playing him, only using him for the Stein of Mogguk quest when one of my
other characters needed some PP.

I soloed him from 12 to 13 to brush up on my enchanter skill before trying
to group. Once I hit 13 I got in a good orc highway group in the Oasis, and
hit 14 on the same sitting. I joined the group, and someone asked "What to
enchanter do?" I told him they keep multiple pulls manageable.

When I created him I put 20 points in charisma and the rest into
intelligence, I have wondered if that was a good idea, but today I think it
worked out. On the second pull with 3 mobs, I charmed an orc, and used him
to attack the mob that no one else was one. After the first two were dead,
everybody was wondering why they couldn't attack the last one. I was
finally able to convince them that I charmed him and he was my pet. When he
said "Guarding with my life oh splendid one", they finally started to get
the idea. All of my charms that weren't outright resisted lasted over 2
minutes, even one that conned yellow. After about a 1/2 hour of charming
and messing, the person who asked what enchanters do, said that enchanters
rock.

Yes, even before 16, enchanters can be a good addition to a group. Now if I
can just get that magician to quit using AOE spells after I mez.

Dan Harmon

Jan 7, 2002, 11:40:07 AM1/7/02

"Tony" <M...@here.com> wrote in message

> Yes, even before 16, enchanters can be a good addition to a group. Now if
> can just get that magician to quit using AOE spells after I mez.

Well, starting at 16 you can say "anyone who casts AE damage spells don't
get breeze." It's amazing how quickly people shape up at that point.

Until then, if those AE spells are aggroing the critters, don't worry about
saving him from himself. Let him die. After a couple of runs from his bind
point he'll probably get a clue. The only person you have to be RELATIVELY
nice to is the healer. :)

BTW, INT items are easier to get than CHA items...putting those points in
CHA is probably a good idea but I bet your INT sucks unless you're twinking
at all, so you probably need to start working on that very soon.

kaev

Jan 7, 2002, 12:54:39 PM1/7/02
Dan Harmon wrote:

> "Tony" <M...@here.com> wrote in message
>

>>Yes, even before 16, enchanters can be a good addition to a group. Now if

>>can just get that magician to quit using AOE spells after I mez.
>>

> Well, starting at 16 you can say "anyone who casts AE damage spells don't
> get breeze." It's amazing how quickly people shape up at that point.
>
> Until then, if those AE spells are aggroing the critters, don't worry about
> saving him from himself. Let him die. After a couple of runs from his bind
> point he'll probably get a clue. The only person you have to be RELATIVELY
> nice to is the healer. :)

"Real" healers are always nice :), but a skilled Paladin is the very
best friend an enchanter could possibly have at most any level. Unless
the enchanter proves herself to be an idiot any Paladin worth a damn
_will_ keep her alive.
This is because:
1) _nobody_ is better at keeping an Enchanter alive than a Paladin
2) bad pull + dead Enchanter is typicly followed by dead healer and I'm
sure you can guess the rest

Dan Harmon

Jan 7, 2002, 4:53:05 PM1/7/02

"kaev" <gas...@nospam.yuck.net> wrote in message

> "Real" healers are always nice :), but a skilled Paladin is the very
> best friend an enchanter could possibly have at most any level. Unless
> the enchanter proves herself to be an idiot any Paladin worth a damn
> _will_ keep her alive.
> This is because:
> 1) _nobody_ is better at keeping an Enchanter alive than a Paladin
> 2) bad pull + dead Enchanter is typicly followed by dead healer and I'm
> sure you can guess the rest

I've never been assigned a pally to keep me alive...probably 'cause there's
like 3 pallies on my server (Zeb)...at least, it feels like it.

It's been my experience that no one keeps me alive like a druid. Too many
high level clerics get into this habit of thinking that no one needs a heal
below 50% and there's no rush until 30%. At level 55 with all possible HP
buffs (well, shield over shaman tuna spells) I have 2300hp and 600AC. If I
get to 50% health and I don't see the cleric already casting, I'm dead. The
druids I play with know that if I'm being hit and I'm at 80%, they'd better
start casting.

Now, I'll be the first to say that there's plenty of clerics that know how
to keep me alive...it's in NO WAY a cleric slam. But hell, if a tank is at
20% health when a critter decides to start swinging on ME, the cleric is
probably only 3 or 4 seconds into a 10-second Complete Heal of the
tank...and I can't last the minimum 10 seconds (6 to complete the CH + 4 to
cast Superior Healing on me) the cleric needs to keep me alive. I love
druids who heal. :)

Paul Litzinger

Jan 7, 2002, 11:08:47 PM1/7/02
If a cleric doesn't keep my 51 chanter healed most of the time, I first tell
him he'll get no more clarity and if that doesn't work, I'll leave the group
asap.
I sometimes do need to explain that I haven't got quite as much hp as the
average tank. I do all this in group chat so the other people know what's
happening.

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

kevandlou

Jan 8, 2002, 9:40:06 AM1/8/02

"Paul Litzinger" <lit...@attbi.com> wrote in message

> If a cleric doesn't keep my 51 chanter healed most of the time, I first
tell
> him he'll get no more clarity and if that doesn't work, I'll leave the
group
> asap.
> I sometimes do need to explain that I haven't got quite as much hp as the
> average tank. I do all this in group chat so the other people know what's
> happening.

> "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Now, I'll be the first to say that there's plenty of clerics that know how

> > to keep me alive...it's in NO WAY a cleric slam. But hell, if a tank is
> at
> > 20% health when a critter decides to start swinging on ME, the cleric is
> > probably only 3 or 4 seconds into a 10-second Complete Heal of the
> > tank...and I can't last the minimum 10 seconds (6 to complete the CH + 4
> > cast Superior Healing on me) the cleric needs to keep me alive. I love
> > druids who heal. :)

this is in reply to both Dan and Paul.

Ok so the mob (or mobs?) is whacking you the chanter, and you're in need of
a heal. Couldn't you just color flux then mem blur, mez or root ? (i dont
know if there's an equivalent of these spells at the high end, my chanter is
only 18, but loving it so much, made him my main >) )

Or is this what tends to happen.... you're kept alive untill mob agros on
tank?

Cheers.

Kev

Chef Groovy

Jan 8, 2002, 10:33:57 AM1/8/02
On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:40:07 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>BTW, INT items are easier to get than CHA items...putting those points in
>CHA is probably a good idea but I bet your INT sucks unless you're twinking
>at all, so you probably need to start working on that very soon.

Don't worry about int. its overrated on enchanter anyways. You'll have
breeze, clarity, int buffs, mana taps and all that. and puuulenty of
time to sit around and med. You won't be out of mana long at all if
ever do run out.

Heck mine is 52, usually walk around with 210 charisma and 170 int

Chef Groovy
ICQ: 1529949
chefgroovy@KaZaA

Chef Groovy

Jan 8, 2002, 10:35:59 AM1/8/02
On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 21:53:05 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>Now, I'll be the first to say that there's plenty of clerics that know how
>to keep me alive...it's in NO WAY a cleric slam. But hell, if a tank is at
>20% health when a critter decides to start swinging on ME, the cleric is
>probably only 3 or 4 seconds into a 10-second Complete Heal of the
>tank...and I can't last the minimum 10 seconds (6 to complete the CH + 4 to
>cast Superior Healing on me) the cleric needs to keep me alive. I love
>druids who heal. :)

Thats why chanters stuns and rune spell. To not get hit

Paul Litzinger

Jan 8, 2002, 12:46:35 PM1/8/02
The main problem is resists, particularly to your color spells, and
particularly when you have multiple mobs on you for whatever reason. Given
sufficient time, I like to tash mobs and then color stun and then move on to
mez or root or whatever. Textbook stuff. However, depending on the type of
place you hunt, things may not work that way. If you start with only half
hp, get jumped by three mobs, tanks already fighting, cleric busy, no time
for tashing, two stun and one resists and then again resists your next color
in the chain...well, it may not be a pretty picture. Enchanters go down very
fast and have little time at best when things don't go quite right.
Obviously there may be lots of options but they're all limited by the amount
of hp you have available to handle the problem.

Areas where the pathing brings lots of fresh mobs or where pulls are often
multiples are challenging and fun. The group is really busy with everyone
having a blast. A scenario such as above --where the enchanter or the cleric
suddenly finds themself the center of mob attention --- isn't uncommon.

I agree with your statement, chanters are great satisfaction. For me this is
particularly true when I can play in situations where I am really busy and
not just sitting around keeping up buffs and providing an occasional mez or
stun. When things are really busy, you don't want to always look up and
find you hp bar half empty ( half full?).

"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
<snip>

Dan Harmon

Jan 8, 2002, 2:24:25 PM1/8/02

"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> this is in reply to both Dan and Paul.

> Ok so the mob (or mobs?) is whacking you the chanter, and you're in need
of
> a heal. Couldn't you just color flux then mem blur, mez or root ? (i
dont
> know if there's an equivalent of these spells at the high end, my chanter
is
> only 18, but loving it so much, made him my main >) )
>
> Or is this what tends to happen.... you're kept alive untill mob agros on
> tank?

I hate mem blur...it works about as often as the built-in mezz chance of
blurring. But yeah, stunning + mez or root is the best solution in the best
of cases.

Trouble is when multiple critters are hitting you. AE mez works great at
lower levels in most zones but once you get to learn your craft and trust
your healers single target mez is the way to go. I don't think I was a good
enough enchanter until about 25 or so. Of course, it also helps to have
healers that understand to heal you fast, AND to give you symbol. It also
helps to have tanks who understand that when there's an enchanter in the
group, DON'T TRY TO SAVE THE CASTERS!! Cleric keeps enchanter alive,
enchanter keeps everyone else alive.

Anyway, when you have a critter that does 400+ points a round damage and you
only have 2000hp it tends to be those very critters that are magic resistant
to some extent, so you gotta have a healer you trust. Outdoors my usual
deal is to root them asap then back off. If the critter is the tank's
target I slow/tash it, if it's an add I tash/mez it.

Sucky thing about being an enchanter at high levels. If you tash at the
start of the fight, you will be attacked. If you do nothing (assuming no
shaman), the tanks take a big beating. So usually my only choice is to slow
first THEN tash...obviously not the most desirable order.

I love playing an enchanter...the only pure INT caster with no AC that's
MEANT to be banged around. <g> I LOVE jumping into a fight and
chain-stunning (make sure you have the pages for your level 20 stun!) when
the cleric's at 10% health and highest on the hate list, but now with time
to heal himself.

Enchanters are by far the most powerful class. The best part is, most
people don't realize it. We're also the ones that're allowed to be
bossiest. :)

Dan Harmon

Jan 8, 2002, 2:46:15 PM1/8/02

"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Oh, forgot one point (believe it or not, in all that rambling).

We can only mem up 8 spells. At level 18 that's not a problem yet, but
it'll start being annoying in another few levels. You gotta forgo certain
defenses...you gotta make choices. Indoors I rarely bother with root
because I have too many other things to keep up.

Unless I'm hunting in a zone where nothing can be stunned or mezzed (Kael) I
always have 2 stuns and mez up. If I'm not hunting with a shaman, slow is
always memmed. That's 4 spells icons used all the time. If critters are
low MR I don't bother with tash but usually it's up, so that's 5. Only
leaves 3 slots for misc. stuff, and I am ALWAYS accessing the first 12 pages
(well, 6 if you want to count it that way) of my spell book. So root often
takes a back seat.

Clarity2 is almost always memmed because it always seems to drop during the
toughest fights where if I don't cast it during the fight ('cause at 55 you
can rarely sit down & mem something 'cause the critters LOVE to hit sitting
enchanters) we may be in big trouble.

Ah, rambling again, sorry. :)
At level 55

kevandlou

Jan 10, 2002, 7:11:14 AM1/10/02

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in >

<snips>

Sucky thing about being an enchanter at high levels. If you tash at the
> start of the fight, you will be attacked. If you do nothing (assuming no
> shaman), the tanks take a big beating. So usually my only choice is to
slow
> first THEN tash...obviously not the most desirable order.

I usually let mob agro on tank a little bit then tash, slow. But I guess
we're talking about the differences between lvl 20ish fights compared to
high end, and you gotta act a bit quicker.

>I LOVE jumping into a fight and
> chain-stunning (make sure you have the pages for your >level 20 stun!)

Sadly, only one half so far. I haven't as yet done research, so how does it
work? What I'm more concerned about is if I use the skill, does it have a
chance of failing, and if so, will I lose the component parts, so perhaps
should get skill up 1st ?

Cheers

Kev
ps. Np with the rambling, I'm lapping it up, and thx to Paul also for the
intersting info.

Adam Russell

Jan 10, 2002, 9:35:35 AM1/10/02

> "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in >
>
> <snips>
>
> Sucky thing about being an enchanter at high levels. If you tash at the
> > start of the fight, you will be attacked. If you do nothing (assuming
no
> > shaman), the tanks take a big beating. So usually my only choice is to
> slow
> > first THEN tash...obviously not the most desirable order.
>
> I usually let mob agro on tank a little bit then tash, slow. But I guess
> we're talking about the differences between lvl 20ish fights compared to
> high end, and you gotta act a bit quicker.
>
> >I LOVE jumping into a fight and
> > chain-stunning (make sure you have the pages for your >level 20 stun!)
>
> Sadly, only one half so far. I haven't as yet done research, so how does
it
> work? What I'm more concerned about is if I use the skill, does it have a
> chance of failing, and if so, will I lose the component parts, so perhaps
> should get skill up 1st ?

Yea use your skill ups or else ask some higher level enchanter to combine it
for you.

Dan Harmon

Jan 10, 2002, 1:30:26 PM1/10/02

"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Sadly, only one half so far. I haven't as yet done research, so how does
it
> work? What I'm more concerned about is if I use the skill, does it have a
> chance of failing, and if so, will I lose the component parts, so perhaps
> should get skill up 1st ?

Go to your favorite general purpose EQ website (mine is
http://eq.castersrealm.com) and find out what pages are needed for that
spell. Buy the research container (Tome of Endless Enchantments, I think).
Any time you're near a vendor look at their inventory to see if they have
any of the pages you need and buy them when you see them.

Oh, step .5, if you have Luclin, go to Katta and see if that research-only
spell is available for sale there. If not, proceed below.

Once you have the pages you need for a spell, keep the pages in the tome on
you at all times and keep your eye out for a high level enchanter. Politely
ask them to combine the spell for you, offer to pay (almost certainly
declined), and you should have no trouble having them do it for you.

I'm on Zeb and my research is pretty high (150 or better) so if that's your
server let me know. I don't have any spare pages for that spell
though...I'm looking for them for myself for a friend. :)

kevandlou

Jan 10, 2002, 6:48:08 PM1/10/02

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in

<snips>

> > Sadly, only one half so far. I haven't as yet done research, so how does

> it
> > work? What I'm more concerned about is if I use the skill, does it have
> > chance of failing, and if so, will I lose the component parts, so
perhaps
> > should get skill up 1st ?

Still wandering if I will lose the component parts if I try??

> Go to your favorite general purpose EQ website (mine is
> http://eq.castersrealm.com) and find out what pages are needed for that
> spell.

yes, my number 1 stop>)

> I'm on Zeb and my research is pretty high (150 or better) so if that's
your
> server let me know. I don't have any spare pages for that spell
> though...I'm looking for them for myself for a friend. :)

close.. well in an alphabetical sense. I'm on Xegony. Well nm, thx for the
offer! and the info.

Cheers

Kev

Dan Harmon

Jan 11, 2002, 11:45:33 AM1/11/02

> Still wandering if I will lose the component parts if I try??

Yes, if you put pages 26 left and right in the Tome of Endless Enchantments
and fail to make the spell you will lose those pages. It's a possibility
for ANY enchanter, though I can't remember the last time I failed on a low
level spell (being 55 now).

kevandlou

Jan 12, 2002, 8:18:57 AM1/12/02

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in

Still wandering if I will lose the component parts if I try??

> Yes,

K, thx.

Got another chanter query.

Am finding mobs resistin my mez's probably about half the time unless I tash
first (its what happens when fighting yellows/reds>) ). Yet If I tash I
agro the mob, so take a hit, color flux/shift then mez, which slows down
getting round to sorting other adds.

Just curious as to techniques. Do you (or anyone for that matter) do it the
tash,agro,color,mez route?

Cheers

Kev

Empty

Jan 12, 2002, 2:23:09 PM1/12/02

> Am finding mobs resistin my mez's probably about half the time unless
> I tash first (its what happens when fighting yellows/reds>) ). Yet If
> I tash I agro the mob, so take a hit, color flux/shift then mez, which
> slows down getting round to sorting other adds.
>
> Just curious as to techniques. Do you (or anyone for that matter) do
> it the tash,agro,color,mez route?

Well, yes, if I have to. Resisted mezzes put you on the hate list too you
know.

I find with a non-hasted mob and good timing I do not need color. I simply
mez after they hit me.

What is your CHA at? CHA directly affects your mezz, charm, and other
spells resistances. Raise it as high as possible.

~Empty
--
"I'm constantly forgetting my own phone number. Quite simply,
it's because I never call myself. (I used to, but I was never

kevandlou

Jan 14, 2002, 4:36:09 AM1/14/02

"Empty" <emptyCA...@emptiedout.com> wrote in message

> "kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > Am finding mobs resistin my mez's probably about half the time unless
> > I tash first (its what happens when fighting yellows/reds>) ). Yet If
> > I tash I agro the mob, so take a hit, color flux/shift then mez, which
> > slows down getting round to sorting other adds.
> >
> > Just curious as to techniques. Do you (or anyone for that matter) do
> > it the tash,agro,color,mez route?
>
> Well, yes, if I have to. Resisted mezzes put you on the hate list too you
> know.

Yes, which is the reason why I like to tash 1st. If I'm going to get agroed,
rather it be with a tash than a failed mez.

> I find with a non-hasted mob and good timing I do not need color. I simply
> mez after they hit me.

Will have to try that, thx.

> What is your CHA at? CHA directly affects your mezz, charm, and other
> spells resistances. Raise it as high as possible.

76. 79 with items (hehe well only 1 so far) and 97 after cha buff, which i
try to always keep up.

Cheers

Kev

Carl Wolter

Jan 14, 2002, 11:18:27 AM1/14/02

"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

I have a 50 enc on Xegony whose research is 140ish. If you ever see Zathris
running around just gimme a tell and I can help you research the spells...

Carl Wolter

Jan 14, 2002, 11:21:06 AM1/14/02
I would try to mezz first, since it seems to me that tash is a bigger aggro
than a failed mezz. If you get aggroed use stun then backoff and rootpark
the mob or tash stun them mezz again if you can. Granted it has been awhile
since I did crowd control at that level so my advice might be kinda useless
to ya....

"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Empty

Jan 14, 2002, 12:07:34 PM1/14/02
"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> "Empty" <emptyCA...@emptiedout.com> wrote in message

>> Well, yes, if I have to. Resisted mezzes put you on the hate list too
>> you know.
>
> Yes, which is the reason why I like to tash 1st. If I'm going to get
> agroed, rather it be with a tash than a failed mez.

Yep :) I rarely bother on a blue mob- white and yellows always get it.

Tash is most useful on continually checked things- spells that get resisted
over and over, such as fear, charm and root. ALWAYS tash before charming-
your pet will stay with you much longer.

>> What is your CHA at? CHA directly affects your mezz, charm, and other
>> spells resistances. Raise it as high as possible.
>
> 76. 79 with items (hehe well only 1 so far) and 97 after cha buff,
> which i try to always keep up.

Hrm. Work on that. I would pump that as high as possible.

Empty

Jan 14, 2002, 12:08:59 PM1/14/02
"Carl Wolter" <cwol...@woh.rr.com> wrote in

> I would try to mezz first, since it seems to me that tash is a bigger
> aggro than a failed mezz. If you get aggroed use stun then backoff and
> rootpark the mob or tash stun them mezz again if you can. Granted it
> has been awhile since I did crowd control at that level so my advice
> might be kinda useless to ya....

Hrm. IME Tash (the spell itself, first in series) has very little aggro. I
can pull with Tash and have a melee taunt the mob off with a single arrow.

Now slows, THOSE have aggro like crazy.

Dan Harmon

Jan 14, 2002, 1:07:06 PM1/14/02

"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > What is your CHA at? CHA directly affects your mezz, charm, and other
> > spells resistances. Raise it as high as possible.
>
> 76. 79 with items (hehe well only 1 so far) and 97 after cha buff, which i
> try to always keep up.

Ouch. Though I really don't notice much difference between 140 and 200,
*97* CHA is just plain too low. Are you working to get OTHER stats up
instead of this very important one? Work to get it to at least 120 after
buff, ASAP.

Crude Stein (15)
Oppaline Earrings (5x2)
Drakehide leggings (5)

These are all lower-end CHA items but at level 55 I still have it with me at
all times (don't always use it but I keep it). Back when Oggok was a place
high levels went to get xp killing guards (inner guards, not newbie) they
used to be plentiful but Oggok doesn't seem camped much anymore. If you
have higher level friends (40+) get a group together to kill a few guards.
I don't know retail.

The earrings...guessing about 30p each
The leggings...guessing about 75p

WBrownlee

Jan 15, 2002, 11:45:15 PM1/15/02

Speaking of enchanters, my lvl 13 can't get a mez to stick. The orcs in
ECommons beat the crap outta her last night. I cast it and assumed it would
work. Not. Got 3 of them on me. And I picked the ones in the back. What am I
doing wrong?

Darklet

kevandlou

Jan 16, 2002, 5:33:16 AM1/16/02

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in

> > 76. 79 with items (hehe well only 1 so far) and 97 after cha buff, which
> > try to always keep up.
>
> Ouch. Though I really don't notice much difference between 140 and 200,
> *97* CHA is just plain too low. Are you working to get OTHER stats up
> instead of this very important one? Work to get it to at least 120 after
> buff, ASAP.
>
> Crude Stein (15)
> Oppaline Earrings (5x2)
> Drakehide leggings (5)
>
> These are all lower-end CHA items but at level 55 I still have it with me
at
> all times (don't always use it but I keep it). Back when Oggok was a
place
> high levels went to get xp killing guards (inner guards, not newbie) they
> used to be plentiful but Oggok doesn't seem camped much anymore. If you
> have higher level friends (40+) get a group together to kill a few guards.
> I don't know retail.
>
> The earrings...guessing about 30p each
> The leggings...guessing about 75p

Yeah I'm on the look out for a Crude stein, I just got my Stein of Mogguk
(quested) and forgot to check the vendor in Ogguk for any!!! Doh!

Not really working particulary on getting any stats up.

The Drake-Hide leggins would be useful, may take a trip to Solusek eye.

Couldn't find Oppaline earrings on any of the search item engines on various
websites. Where/what are these from?

Thx to you and Empty

Cheers

Kev

Morpheuss D媚rque

Jan 16, 2002, 11:12:10 AM1/16/02

CHA has nothing to do with mezzes ! For Fears and Charms CHA is very
important... not mentioned any differents. Mezzes are only based on 1.)
player lvl 2.) mob lvl and 3.) mobs MR .. thats all

Yaris Mistral 55th Chanter still camping Jelcey´s Corpse to see her nakid
again
"WBrownlee" <xenoc...@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Dan Harmon

Jan 16, 2002, 11:52:35 AM1/16/02

> Couldn't find Oppaline earrings on any of the search item engines on
various
> websites. Where/what are these from?

I may be misspelling it. It drops off of the bartender in Unrest. Easy
camp for a solo druid 45+ or an enchanter + druid lower (as long as you can
both be wolves).

Empty

Jan 16, 2002, 1:21:10 PM1/16/02
"kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> The Drake-Hide leggins would be useful, may take a trip to Solusek
> eye.

These things rock. I just got my chanter a pair :)

> Couldn't find Oppaline earrings on any of the search item engines on
> various websites. Where/what are these from?

http://eq.castersrealm.com/data/item.asp?Id=283

Also useful on the low end is the split paw tooth necklace - 0.2 WT, 2 AC,
+5 CHA, +5 SV POISON
http://eq.castersrealm.com/data/item.asp?Id=639

Dan Harmon

Jan 16, 2002, 4:14:49 PM1/16/02

> "kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > The Drake-Hide leggins would be useful, may take a trip to Solusek
> > eye.
>
> These things rock. I just got my chanter a pair :)
>
> > Couldn't find Oppaline earrings on any of the search item engines on
> > various websites. Where/what are these from?
>
> http://eq.castersrealm.com/data/item.asp?Id=283
>
> Also useful on the low end is the split paw tooth necklace - 0.2 WT, 2 AC,
> +5 CHA, +5 SV POISON
> http://eq.castersrealm.com/data/item.asp?Id=639

Oh yeah, and lizard mystics in Feeroott and Rathe Mountains drops a totem
worth a few CHA. Never used it, I started playing my enchanter before
Kunark came out so there were plenty of people killing inner-Oggok guards
and letting the Crude Steins rot.

BTW, if you go hunting the guards, don't count on Mem Blur or any of their
upgrades to keep you from taking faction hits (something I really try to
avoid...with a druid handy the Moggok quest is a money-maker). The mem blur
line, well, SUCKS BIG HAIRY DONKEY BALLS. <ahem> Sorry. Last night I
attacked an indiff critter, mezzed it, and cast the level 49 version 5 times
on it...and it still didn't forget me. Meanwhile, about 3 pulls after that
I mezzed an overpull of indiffs, and when the mez wore off it wandered back
to it's spawn point. I always use Mez and hope for the best...it seems to
have a decent chance of blurring.

Err my point is, get some friends to do the killing while you buff 'em
before and after the fight.

Just Jekke

Jan 16, 2002, 8:35:27 PM1/16/02
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:52:35 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

"Opaline" may be easier to find.

--Jekke
=====================
Playing on Torvonilous
Qiin Dred (Iksar Necromancer, 55)
Moulin Khmer (Dark Elf Rogue, 52)
Sheava Ebonrezzor (Dark Elf Cleric, 39)
Greebeux Goodkitty (Iksar Warrior, 30)
Persona (Dark Elf Enchanter, 9)

kevandlou

Jan 17, 2002, 8:01:47 AM1/17/02

"Morpheuss D媚rque" <Morpheu...@gmx.net> wrote in message

> CHA has nothing to do with mezzes ! For Fears and Charms CHA is very
> important... not mentioned any differents. Mezzes are only based on 1.)
> player lvl 2.) mob lvl and 3.) mobs MR .. thats all

And yet according to Xorrns enchanting guide, "Cha does help with mezes and
charms, even if only a little"

So which is it? Or is it undedcided?

Cheers Kev

kevandlou

Jan 17, 2002, 8:31:50 AM1/17/02

"Just Jekke" <Jekke...@from-nyc.co.uk> wrote in

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:52:35 GMT, "Dan Harmon"

> >> Couldn't find Oppaline earrings on any of the search item engines on

> >various
> >> websites. Where/what are these from?
> >
> >I may be misspelling it. It drops off of the bartender in Unrest. Easy
> >camp for a solo druid 45+ or an enchanter + druid lower (as long as you
can
> >both be wolves).
>
> "Opaline" may be easier to find.

Hehe, well I am just about brainy enough to try differing variations, all
with and without earring/earrings after. After all I did reply with the
correct spelling of Drake-Hide 8>)

Only thing that comes up for Opaline is Opaline Helm. Maybe the spelling is
more obscure than any I've tried.

Tried Eqloot, Eq vault, casters, Everlore to no avail.

Cheers

Kev

Jim Monk

Jan 17, 2002, 8:45:36 AM1/17/02

Try al's :

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1938

Opalline Earring
MAGIC ITEM
AC: +2 Cha: +5
Weight: 0.1
Classes: All Classes
Races: All Races
Inventory Slot: Ear

This item is found on creatures.
An Undead Barkeep (Unrest)
http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=3440

Average Price: 27pp
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/pricing.html?item=1938#pricing
Rarity: Uncommon
Level to Attain: 24

HTH,

Jim

Dan Harmon

Jan 17, 2002, 9:28:52 AM1/17/02

"Jim Monk" <Jara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1938
>
> Opalline Earring
> MAGIC ITEM
> AC: +2 Cha: +5
> Weight: 0.1
> Classes: All Classes
> Races: All Races
> Inventory Slot: Ear
>
> This item is found on creatures.
> An Undead Barkeep (Unrest)
> http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=3440
>
> Average Price: 27pp

That's the ticket. :) Yeah, I'd pay 30p each...though I actually bought
them for 5p each from someone who didn't know that every enchanter should
have them. Actually, if I had 100p laying around and didn't have them I'd
pay 50p each, but that'd be absolute max for me.

David Navarro

Jan 17, 2002, 3:16:50 PM1/17/02
johnc wrote:

> The people who say it doesn't make a difference are the same people
> who "knew" they swung faster with celerity and a FBSS than with
> augment and a FBSS before the haste cap fix. IOW, instead of
> experimenting and parsing logs, they see what they expect to see and
> take their biased casual observations as evidence.
>
> Having said all that, relative levels and MR are much more important
> than CHA in determining whether or not a mez will be resisted.

Wouldn't it make more sense, then, to replace the CHA items with INT
items, so that at least you have the tangible benefit of enough mana for
*another* shot at a mez?

--
Hanrahan Thornhide, Human Druid, 35 - Fennin Ro
Parsifal, Human Bard, 18 - Fennin Ro

James Grahame

Jan 17, 2002, 7:31:57 PM1/17/02

"David Navarro" <da...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message

> johnc wrote:
>
> > The people who say it doesn't make a difference are the same people
> > who "knew" they swung faster with celerity and a FBSS than with
> > augment and a FBSS before the haste cap fix. IOW, instead of
> > experimenting and parsing logs, they see what they expect to see and
> > take their biased casual observations as evidence.
> >
> > Having said all that, relative levels and MR are much more important
> > than CHA in determining whether or not a mez will be resisted.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense, then, to replace the CHA items with INT
> items, so that at least you have the tangible benefit of enough mana for
> *another* shot at a mez?

Mezzing usually doesn't drive enchanters OOM, unless you're surrounded
by The Hordes or the enchanter is forced to use the really high-cost mezzes
like GoK. Hasting drives enchanters OOM (and slowing if they have that job
as well). Once an enchanter gets their snake staff it's quite amazing how
much mana they have. Recent mana check when doing a Caller quest in Fungus
Grove (give Caller booze, they start summoning mobs in a steady stream, wave
after wave, until the Caller is killed or you give him back a quest item to
stop it): CLR, 20% / SHM, 40% (constant wincing) / ENCH 90%. This is with
the ENCH doing non-stop mezzing, pretty much. At that point we told him to
load his nuke.

James

kevandlou

Jan 18, 2002, 4:46:06 AM1/18/02

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in

> "Jim Monk" <Jara...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> > http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1938

> > Opalline Earring
> > MAGIC ITEM
> > AC: +2 Cha: +5
> > Weight: 0.1
> > Classes: All Classes
> > Races: All Races
> > Inventory Slot: Ear
> >
> > This item is found on creatures.
> > An Undead Barkeep (Unrest)
> > http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=3440
> >
> > Average Price: 27pp
>
> That's the ticket. :) Yeah, I'd pay 30p each...though I actually bought
> them for 5p each from someone who didn't know that every enchanter should
> have them. Actually, if I had 100p laying around and didn't have them I'd
> pay 50p each, but that'd be absolute max for me.

Thanks Jim. Dunno how i missed it.

bought myself some Golden Cat Eye Bracelets. Decided the outlay is worth it,
and was given some Incandescent gloves (3 ac, 6 cha) to replace my Coldain
ones for now, which are better but no cha... up to 114 8>)

Cheers

Kev

Celaeno

Jan 19, 2002, 7:16:39 PM1/19/02
You will not evade me, "kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk>:

>bought myself some Golden Cat Eye Bracelets. Decided the outlay is worth it,
>and was given some Incandescent gloves (3 ac, 6 cha) to replace my Coldain
>ones for now, which are better but no cha... up to 114 8>)

*boggle*
Surely those coldain skin gloves weren't the most convenient INT piece
you could swap out, or I'll just sit down and cry.

Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal preserver of Erollisi Marr

kevandlou

Jan 21, 2002, 9:15:15 AM1/21/02

"Celaeno" <cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com> wrote in message

> You will not evade me, "kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk>:
>

> >bought myself some Golden Cat Eye Bracelets. Decided the outlay is worth
it,
> >and was given some Incandescent gloves (3 ac, 6 cha) to replace my
Coldain
> >ones for now, which are better but no cha... up to 114 8>)
>
> *boggle*
> Surely those coldain skin gloves weren't the most convenient INT piece
> you could swap out, or I'll just sit down and cry.

I don't have a lot of items to play around with. My chanter is my main. The
Coldain gloves were given to by a complete stranger when I was first startin
out.

So do you think I should sacrifice the Cha the incandescent gives and go
with the int(and the ac etc) from the coldain ones?

At the moment I'm thinking cha is slightly more inportant than Int.
Obviously gotta weigh things up, but I;m leaning more towards cha items at
the moment. Is this such a bad thing?

Cheers

Kev

Brian Hance

Jan 21, 2002, 11:32:17 AM1/21/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:15:15 GMT, "kevandlou"
<lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>At the moment I'm thinking cha is slightly more inportant than Int.

From my understanding, once you get your CHA over 100ish, Int is more
important. Int = Mana. Mana = more casting. In a group situation,
it's better for you to have more mana for Mezing, slowing, and
hasting.

--
Brian Hance
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself.

Celaeno

Jan 22, 2002, 7:09:05 PM1/22/02
You will not evade me, "kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk>:

>"Celaeno" <cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> You will not evade me, "kevandlou" <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk>:
>>

>> >bought myself some Golden Cat Eye Bracelets. Decided the outlay is worth
>it,
>> >and was given some Incandescent gloves (3 ac, 6 cha) to replace my
>Coldain
>> >ones for now, which are better but no cha... up to 114 8>)
>>
>> *boggle*
>> Surely those coldain skin gloves weren't the most convenient INT piece
>> you could swap out, or I'll just sit down and cry.
>
>I don't have a lot of items to play around with. My chanter is my main. The
>Coldain gloves were given to by a complete stranger when I was first startin
>out.
>
>So do you think I should sacrifice the Cha the incandescent gives and go
>with the int(and the ac etc) from the coldain ones?
>
>At the moment I'm thinking cha is slightly more inportant than Int.
>Obviously gotta weigh things up, but I;m leaning more towards cha items at
>the moment. Is this such a bad thing?

What I am thinking is that you have to have another piece of armor
with low int that you can replace for a high cha piece. Maybe it
would make more sense to me if I played an enchanter, but with my
characters, I am used to thinking of the coldain skin gloves as damn
near godly (much like my coldain skin boots) and I'd be prone to wear
the int gloves and spend money on cheap cha jewelry in all slots.
Of course, if you really feel the incandescent gloves are better, you
could sell the coldain skin gloves and make a small mint...

kevandlou

Jan 26, 2002, 7:27:43 AM1/26/02

"Brian Hance" <bha...@net-prophet.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:15:15 GMT, "kevandlou"
> <lp005...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >At the moment I'm thinking cha is slightly more inportant than Int.
>
> From my understanding, once you get your CHA over 100ish, Int is more
> important. Int = Mana. Mana = more casting. In a group situation,
> it's better for you to have more mana for Mezing, slowing, and
> hasting.

I have now got 142 Cha when buffed. Yet still my mezes are resisted... maybe
1 out of 5 times, and then the one that does resist sometimes resists a 2nd
time!

I'm now thinking I should work on my ocnjuration which isnt maxed... that
has to be the problem... or maybe 1 out of 5 resists is good???

Cheers

Kev