Magician spell questions

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
Ok, I finally made level 16. Now I have a few questions for experienced
magicians about some of the spells:

Minor summoning - are these elementals only slightly more powerful than my
level 12 elementals? I only have Air right now, but it didn't seem very
tough and wasn't hitting for appreciably more damage. I think the Water
spell is also available in Freeport, which is the nearest friendly city to
me now, so I'll try that as well.

Identify - what exactly would I use this for?

See invisible - outside of seeing other players, what good is this spell?
Are there invisible creatures or doors?

Summon heatstone - is this just a better summon wisp spell? How does the
light compare to that of the lightstone I carry around all the time? Is
there any advantage to using this spell instead of my lightstone?

Summon throwing dagger - is this an effective weapon? I'm not sure why I
would want to use it. Currently I use a giant snake fang.

Shock of flame - boy, do I love this spell! 91 pts of damage, woohoo! I was
doing 48 previously with my best spell. Does this spell always hit if it
casts successfully? What kind of range does it have? Is it similar in range
to shock of blades?

Thanks in advance to my fellow magicians!

Jason Maskell

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99

> Ok, I finally made level 16. Now I have a few questions for experienced
> magicians about some of the spells:
>
> Minor summoning - are these elementals only slightly more powerful than my
> level 12 elementals? I only have Air right now, but it didn't seem very
> tough and wasn't hitting for appreciably more damage. I think the Water
> spell is also available in Freeport, which is the nearest friendly city to
> me now, so I'll try that as well.

The 16th levels are a lot tougher.

> Identify - what exactly would I use this for?

Identifying stuff. It does work, apparently. Not in all cases.

> Summon heatstone - is this just a better summon wisp spell? How does the
> light compare to that of the lightstone I carry around all the time? Is
> there any advantage to using this spell instead of my lightstone?

This is pretty good. It lets you summon a stone that may be "drank" to
provide Serpent Sight. Very handy. Coldstone is the next one, which provides
Ultravision, as opposed to Infravision.

I'm not a magician, but my partner is. Good luck.

Jason

L. Drew Davis

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:12:18 -0500, "Mark Asher" <ma...@cdmnet.com>
wrote:

>Ok, I finally made level 16. Now I have a few questions for experienced
>magicians about some of the spells:

>Minor summoning - are these elementals only slightly more powerful than my
>level 12 elementals? I only have Air right now, but it didn't seem very
>tough and wasn't hitting for appreciably more damage.

Than what? Air is pretty weak, IMO. And, of course, the
level you actally summon varies. In general, 16ths are more
powerful than 12s.

>Identify - what exactly would I use this for?

Nothing. It was supposed to reveal the powers of items, but
that code is broken, so you can see them for free.

>See invisible - outside of seeing other players, what good is this spell?
>Are there invisible creatures or doors?

Yes. Air/mist elementals, for example, like to hang about
invisibly. One of the players I hang out with recently became
paranoid after being assaulted by invisible air elementals,
and insists that See Invis is a required buff these days ;)
Secret doors can be spotted by rogues, I believe, but not
by See Invisible.) Seeing other players is actually more
important that it sounds. Remember that Invisibility is a travel
spell, not a combat spell; it's much easier to travel in a group
when you can all see each other.

>Summon heatstone - is this just a better summon wisp spell?

No. It summons an item that can be used to cast Serpent
Sight on the holder. (This is actually kind of nice when you're
giving it away, as the recipient can wait until dark to use it.)

>there any advantage to using this spell instead of my lightstone?

It gives you infravision, not light. I happen to think infra is
more useful, since the monsters stand out better against the dark.
Light is better if you want to see the terrain itself for some reason
(dropped that set of blackened steel plate, did you? :)

>Summon throwing dagger - is this an effective weapon? I'm not sure why I
>would want to use it.

It's a ranged attack. not a hand-to-hand weapon. I have fun
with it. Minor damage, but hey, an extra spell disruption on an enemy
spellcaster is always nice. Also good for pulling trash that you
don't want to waste mana on, and contributing to a fight in addition
to spells when you don't want to be in HTH range

>Shock of flame - boy, do I love this spell! 91 pts of damage, woohoo! I was
>doing 48 previously with my best spell. Does this spell always hit if it
>casts successfully?

Just like the others, yes. Fire is resisted fairly often by
monsters, so you won't always do full damage. But this one
is a must-have, as your other attack spells are 8 levels out
of date and pretty weak by now. I keep Shock of Blades
racked in my "quick cheap attack" slot, as well, for finishing
off "runners".

Ron Freyer

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99

see inserted comments below......

--

Regards,
Ron Freyer MCP

> Ok, I finally made level 16. Now I have a few questions for
experienced
> magicians about some of the spells:
>
> Minor summoning - are these elementals only slightly more powerful
than my
> level 12 elementals? I only have Air right now, but it didn't seem
very

> tough and wasn't hitting for appreciably more damage. I think the
Water
> spell is also available in Freeport, which is the nearest friendly
city to
> me now, so I'll try that as well.

My magi is lvl 17 parked in Freeport. Created a Gnome Wiz and love him.
Anyway, Go for the water. My friend also
created a new char as a magi ( he always loved my cool stuff and pets ).
The earth I must say is no longer the best. From
what I have been experiencing since the patch is Water is the way to go.
The earthquake just doesnt do much from what I have seen working up the
low lvls with my Magi friend. Other people I have grouped with are using
the Water and the DD spell is some ice rift or something. My Earth
Elemental I bought before the patch ( purchased in Felwithe ) was double
attacking for a combined hit dmg of 28 per attack. That was with
Burnout. Without burnout, he was hitting for 18 and 4-6 max. You need
that lvl 16 pet buy it. I suggest Water pet with burnout, but thats my
opinion. You will not do well at all staying with a lvl 12 pet.

> Identify - what exactly would I use this for?

Nothing currently a bum spell. Everything is revealed with a simple
right click on an item. I hear its pending replacement with
something else.

> See invisible - outside of seeing other players, what good is this
spell?
> Are there invisible creatures or doors?

If you are on Rallos Zek you can see a potential PKr sneaking up to you.
Otherwise its great when a group needs to travel
somewhere Invisd, cast see invis, then invis everyone. This way you can
see each other during travel.

> Summon heatstone - is this just a better summon wisp spell? How does
the
> light compare to that of the lightstone I carry around all the time?
Is

> there any advantage to using this spell instead of my lightstone?

If you are human or a race without infra-vision buy this. You have to go
to Felwithe or Erudin to buy it though. It summons a serpent stone,
right click it and you get infra-red vision for a full EQ night. Its
great, my group used to make me summon a bunch before heading out for a
nights hunting.

> Summon throwing dagger - is this an effective weapon? I'm not sure why

> would want to use it. Currently I use a giant snake fang.

Complete waste of money. Go to Akanon or Erudin and start buying those
Staff summoning spells. Also sold in Neriak if you know any DE friends.
At lvl 16 you get to summon Staff of Warding. Puts a dim glow around you
( little less then a burned out lightstone ) and has an 8dmg 38 Atk
delay. Nice staff to use.

> Shock of flame - boy, do I love this spell! 91 pts of damage, woohoo!
I was
> doing 48 previously with my best spell. Does this spell always hit if
it

> casts successfully? What kind of range does it have? Is it similar in
range
> to shock of blades?

Yep same spell distance. Nice not to have yet another bolt spell at that
lvl. Also nice to finally be able to dish out some damage, considering
Wizards are dishing 78 at lvl 12 and 117 at lvl 16.