Stupid Newbie Questions

1 view

John Alcock

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Hi all. Love the game so far. Got some (no doubt dumb) questions,
though:

1. I can have 8 characters PER SERVER? Wow, that's a bunch, I may not
even use them all.

2. How do I tell the numeric rating of my skills? All I see is that
I'm AWFUL at everything :)

3. I can't see anything practically at night, even when I play a
Half-Elf or Wood Elf. The gamma correction doesn't seem to do
anything. Is it my card (STB Velocity for 2D, Diamond Monster VooDoo
2 for 3D) or are the rest of you just good at finding your way in the
dark? Since I can't see anything, I've been wasting the nights doing
Sense Direction over and over, which gets pretty dull.

4. My best character (only Lvl 2) is a Ranger at Surefall Glade, which
has no bank, right? Could I make it to Qeynos at this level? I'd
like to put my meagre funds in the bank so I can explore without
worrying about dying. Just follow the road in Qeynos Hills south?

That'll do for a start. Thanks for any replies.
John
--
Work: jal...@NOSPAMwatson.ibm.com
Home: jal...@NOSPAMct1.nai.net

FireSong

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

FireSong^
fire...@NOTSPAMdallas.net
{remove NOTSPAM when replying}

> 1. I can have 8 characters PER SERVER? Wow, that's a bunch, I may not
> even use them all.

Yup, 8 per server.

> 2. How do I tell the numeric rating of my skills? All I see is that
> I'm AWFUL at everything :)

Ya got me there, I'll have to check.. It notifies you if you gain a level in
them.
Perhaps a right mouseclick on the skill will do the trick. I'll give it a
try.

> 3. I can't see anything practically at night, even when I play a
> Half-Elf or Wood Elf. The gamma correction doesn't seem to do
> anything. Is it my card (STB Velocity for 2D, Diamond Monster VooDoo
> 2 for 3D) or are the rest of you just good at finding your way in the
> dark? Since I can't see anything, I've been wasting the nights doing
> Sense Direction over and over, which gets pretty dull.

Try going to Options, Display, GAMMA: If the slider is all the way up
already
try going into the display option in the win98 control panel and adjusting
the
gamma for your Voodoo2 there. Then when you restart EQ choose option
and make sure it is using GLIDE. I found my STB Velocity to be too dark
and with the STB if you do anything to adjust the gamma in 3d it makes the
2D desktop too bright.

> 4. My best character (only Lvl 2) is a Ranger at Surefall Glade, which
> has no bank, right? Could I make it to Qeynos at this level? I'd
> like to put my meagre funds in the bank so I can explore without
> worrying about dying. Just follow the road in Qeynos Hills south?

Perhaps, if you run like hell. #) Just leave the the auto-attack off and
stay
away from the monsters (and from objects you can't see around so they don't
ambush you.

RoccoS

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:51:18 GMT, jal...@NOSPAMwatson.ibm.com (John
Alcock) wrote:

>2. How do I tell the numeric rating of my skills? All I see is that
>I'm AWFUL at everything :)

I'd like to know if this is possible. Right now, I just write them
down as they improve.

>3. I can't see anything practically at night, even when I play a
>Half-Elf or Wood Elf. The gamma correction doesn't seem to do
>anything. Is it my card (STB Velocity for 2D, Diamond Monster VooDoo
>2 for 3D) or are the rest of you just good at finding your way in the
>dark? Since I can't see anything, I've been wasting the nights doing
>Sense Direction over and over, which gets pretty dull.

I personally find that the gamma correction does not work with my STB
V4400 (TNT) card, but it does if I use Voodoo Glide.

>4. My best character (only Lvl 2) is a Ranger at Surefall Glade, which
>has no bank, right? Could I make it to Qeynos at this level? I'd
>like to put my meagre funds in the bank so I can explore without
>worrying about dying. Just follow the road in Qeynos Hills south?

No bank in the Glade. Yes, you can make it to Qeynos. Just keep going
straight.

DuskRunner

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
RoccoS wrote:

>John Alcock wrote:
>
>>4. My best character (only Lvl 2) is a Ranger at Surefall Glade, which
>>has no bank, right? Could I make it to Qeynos at this level? I'd
>>like to put my meagre funds in the bank so I can explore without
>>worrying about dying. Just follow the road in Qeynos Hills south?
>No bank in the Glade. Yes, you can make it to Qeynos. Just keep going
>straight.

...but WATCH OUT FOR THE...oops...too late.

Really...stick to the road, stay out of the valleys on each side where such
things as Gnoll Scouts and Skeletons (the real, kind, not the weaker
decaying sort) roam and you will be fine.

And by order of Tunare, leave the bears of SureFall Glade alone!

But you knew that, right?

DuskRunner
--
Jeffryn of SureFall -- Xegony

Seraphine

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
om man, read below..

John Alcock wrote in message <36fbaa22....@mdnews.btv.ibm.com>...

>Hi all. Love the game so far. Got some (no doubt dumb) questions,
>though:
>

>1. I can have 8 characters PER SERVER? Wow, that's a bunch, I may not
>even use them all.
>

>2. How do I tell the numeric rating of my skills? All I see is that
>I'm AWFUL at everything :)

you see a message of the numerical skill out of 1000 (i think) when your
skill increases. most skills have a level specific ceiling, calculated by
5*lvl+5 (im 12th, and most have leveled out at 101) trade skills can only
be guild-trained to 20.

>3. I can't see anything practically at night, even when I play a
>Half-Elf or Wood Elf. The gamma correction doesn't seem to do
>anything. Is it my card (STB Velocity for 2D, Diamond Monster VooDoo
>2 for 3D) or are the rest of you just good at finding your way in the
>dark? Since I can't see anything, I've been wasting the nights doing
>Sense Direction over and over, which gets pretty dull.

turn up the monitor brightness. they have also diabaled gamma correction
temporarily for some cards

>4. My best character (only Lvl 2) is a Ranger at Surefall Glade, which
>has no bank, right? Could I make it to Qeynos at this level? I'd
>like to put my meagre funds in the bank so I can explore without
>worrying about dying. Just follow the road in Qeynos Hills south?
>

>That'll do for a start. Thanks for any replies.
>John

sure man, run away. stay on the road to ensure you find your body again,
but you will soon learn that you have nothing of value to loose. a good kill
at level 4-5 will double what you can save in the first 3-4 levels. you get
your weapon and food back until lvl4. no exp penalty until lvl 5. no real
need to go to qeynos except to be social. you will zone along the way, just
past the monolith.

>Work: jal...@NOSPAMwatson.ibm.com
>Home: jal...@NOSPAMct1.nai.net

Carthon

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
>Hi all. Love the game so far. Got some (no doubt dumb) questions,
>though:
>
>1. I can have 8 characters PER SERVER? Wow, that's a bunch, I may not
>even use them all.

Yeah, there's no way you could significantly advance 112 characters. Even 1
per server would be a pain. Most people just concentrate on 1 - 3
characters.

>2. How do I tell the numeric rating of my skills? All I see is that
>I'm AWFUL at everything :)

You can only tell the numeric value when you actually increase the skill by
use. Don't worry though, 'aweful' doesn't always tell the whole story.

>3. I can't see anything practically at night, even when I play a
>Half-Elf or Wood Elf. The gamma correction doesn't seem to do
>anything. Is it my card (STB Velocity for 2D, Diamond Monster VooDoo
>2 for 3D) or are the rest of you just good at finding your way in the
>dark? Since I can't see anything, I've been wasting the nights doing
>Sense Direction over and over, which gets pretty dull.

Are you in full screen mode? It helps a bit to not have that border around
your window. Also, get a light source; the bigger the better. A greater
lightstone is a good goal for about 10th level (or earlier if you can afford
to buy one off of somebody). If all else fails, turn off the light in your
room so the screen is easier to see.

>4. My best character (only Lvl 2) is a Ranger at Surefall Glade, which
>has no bank, right? Could I make it to Qeynos at this level? I'd
>like to put my meagre funds in the bank so I can explore without
>worrying about dying. Just follow the road in Qeynos Hills south?

Yep, and keep an eye out for creatures around you. Also, there are a couple
of wandering NPCs that, if you're not paying attention look like regular
players, will attack you on sight and kill you fast. They're very high
level. So, just keep an eye on the path and avoid contact with NPCs.

>That'll do for a start. Thanks for any replies.
>John

Carthon

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

Carthon

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

Carthon

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
Sorry about the repeats. My news server is having problems.