12th level magician questions

David Schrank

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Unless you can get the monsters to bunch. Stick with shock of blades.
Column is a great spell once you get the knack of teaching your group to
bunch monsters. But for solo monsters stick with shock of blades till
16. Yes 12-16 really is painful.

justme wrote:

> 1. i can get a summon blade spell, but will i (magician) be able to
> use it?
>
> 2. which is better offensive spell, column of fire, or rain of blades.
>
> 3, is burnout worth getting to boost my pet? i heard it goes negative
> after awhile, true?
>
> thanks to any who respond

David Schrank

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Staff of tracing is not horrible. runed totem staff for 20 plat is
better than all your spells but summon earth elemental (why do they
bother having those other elemental spells anyway).

justme wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:34:07 -0400, Richard Lipman
> <Mg...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> you rarely use the summoned blade? ok what do you use? i mainly use a
> cracked staff, 1 handed staff, but also have a worn great staff, which
> do you suggest or are there better alternatives
>
> >Summon Blade makes a Magic Weapon Dmg 5 Delay 26.. It isnt all that spiffy
> >rarely use it.
> >Column of Fire is better than Rain of Blades.. I rarely use either due to
> >casting time and effectiveness. (I still use Shock of Blades)
> >Don't know about Burnout... Anyone have experience with it?
> >Xaryn
> >14th Level Mage

David Schrank

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Fire Shield is a great spell. Once you have more manna than you can dump
in a fight before your elemental dies you will see that. Burnout I think
is another one of those crack spells we are told makes our class
'special'. It just plain sucks.

Shrike wrote:

> justme wrote:
> >
> > 1. i can get a summon blade spell, but will i (magician) be able to
> > use it?
> >
> > 2. which is better offensive spell, column of fire, or rain of blades.
> >
> > 3, is burnout worth getting to boost my pet? i heard it goes negative
> > after awhile, true?
> >
> > thanks to any who respond
>

> I haven't made lvl 12 yet, but... I have heard that you *can* use the
> rapiers you summon. As a matter of fact, I've seen rapier-wielding NPC
> mages at the Guild in Freeport.
>
> As the other poster said, shock of blades rocks my world. Area-effect
> spells are low on my priority list.
>
> No idea about Burnout, sorry. Hope it sucks less than Fire Shield...
>
> --
>
> Shrike -IRIX worshipper, Linux dabbler, Windows victim-
>
> `I need Stalin like I need a hole in the head' -Leon Trotsky

AHooper711

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Another magician that hasn't played much with his elemetnals. Well let me say,
first off that I am now a level 26 magician, and I didn't even purchase my
level 12 earth pet. Not that they are totally useless, but a level 12 water
pet is nearly as good as a 12 earth (not so at higher levels). First off, let
me give you a rundount of pets.
Earth-The strongest and most hp. It's agi sucks, so it's hit the most often.
Air-Best agi, and AC, hits more often but is not so strong (won't see it's max
damage quite as often), but they are hit for full damage less often.
Fire-same str as air, least hp, decent agi, and fireshield. Good for cleaning
out the trash.
Water-HP and STR second to earth, agi second to water. Immune to poisons, and
highly resistant to disease. Also heals the fastest.

Whenever I leveled the first pet I always purchased was water, my water pet got
me from 8-14 quickly, because of the poison immunity. I hunted snakes in east
commons, with little to no fear of getting poisoned myself.
The other thing to note about earth and air, is the tend to summon at lower
levels than fire and water. This is more of an issue at level 12 because your
pet needs to be level 10 or higher to hit magic only creatures (wisps, ice
bones, ghouls ect), and you will waste less lapis, and mana summoning water or
fire, because they will more often be level 10 or 11.
Tirranna
PS Earth having better taunt is a crock.

AHooper711

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
If you think burnout sucks you haven't played with it enough. It does amazing
things for you pets. Ups Str, Agi, AC, and HP. Most noticably though it makes
your pet hit for max damage more often. I've also noticied it speed my pets up
quite a bit sometimes. It does, however, slow pet regeneration, so I only use
it when grouped, or when I summon a water elemental (water pets seem to
regenerate the fastest, and with burnout on, they seem to still have decent
regen)