Mage Pets Not Upgraded

Mason Barge

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Playing my mage, I have noticed 0 appreciable difference in pets with double
daggers and pets without. Anyone else have a different experience?

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me
some coffee."
- Abraham Lincoln

Sam/Joe

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
I believe it has to be two different weapons

JubJub McRae

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
On 31 Jan 2000 20:46:24 GMT, mason...@aol.comnospam (Mason Barge)
wrote:

>Playing my mage, I have noticed 0 appreciable difference in pets with double
>daggers and pets without. Anyone else have a different experience?

You're using earth, aren't ya.

Try water or air.

Bert Medley

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
I think the algorithm is MAX(CreatureDelay, WeaponDelay). So daggers will
not spped up the pets but 2H Swords will slow them down. 2 daggers should
allow then to "dual wield" (two strikes) though at higher levels. What was
the level of your pet?

mason...@aol.comnospam (Mason Barge) wrote in
<20000131154624...@ng-cg1.aol.com>:

>Playing my mage, I have noticed 0 appreciable difference in pets with
>double daggers and pets without. Anyone else have a different experience?

Joel Weaver

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
wrote:

>Playing my mage, I have noticed 0 appreciable difference in pets with double

>daggers and pets without. Anyone else have a different experience?

What level is your mage? I know that necros can't summon
dual-wielding pets until level 29, and even at that level you'll
seldom see the pet using the second weapon. I would imagine the same
holds true for magician pets.

Joel Weaver
jwe...@bayou.uh.edu

Mason Barge

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
> 2 daggers should
>allow then to "dual wield" (two strikes) though at higher levels.

Yes BUT they were double hitting anyway (and with a kick, etc. thrown in on
occasion), for the same amount of damage, and just as often as far as I can
tell. That's my point.

Prh1966

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

Joel Weaver <jwe...@bayou.uh.edu> wrote in message

Probably because the odds of summoning a that cons even to you at level 29
are rather low, (i.e. its more than likely gonna be a level 28 pet) once
you get to level 34 thats more than likely to change

Sergey Dashevskiy

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article <877lmd$j6v$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, prh...@erols.com says...

> Probably because the odds of summoning a that cons even to you at level 29
> are rather low

I'd say there's no chances whatsoever to summon a white pet

> (i.e. its more than likely gonna be a level 28 pet) once
> you get to level 34 thats more than likely to change

I always thought that you would summon a level 22-27 pet, no?

Corey Nelson

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Actually they are. You can now give them a weapon with a proc and it'll proc
very frequently...Not like you would give them a Ykesha or something, but
magicians have a few summoned items with procs - so it's something to look
into. For example, the sword of runes procs ward summoned, and I think there
are later items that proc upgraded ward summoning spells...good for a low lvl
in lavastorm, or someone fighting shadowmen/elementals.
Corey

Prh1966

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

Sergey Dashevskiy wrote in message ...

actually I'm not real sure, I know at level 20 I could summon a white pet on
occasion
and at my current level of 22 I still summon "con dangerous" blue pets..
besides Verant
has said time and again, that Npc levels and player levels are not the same,
and pets
fall under NPC levels, so I am assuming that at level 29 is when we start
getting the potential to
summon pets that can dual wield

Jeremy Music

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00

I killed 30+ elementals in lavastorm with a pet dual wielding sword of
runes. Not one proc. I was disappointed. I had to search to even find a
place to test, so it's not particularly useful even if it did work.

Wyld Knight - wyld.qx.net 3333
http://wyld.qx.net/~rezo
re...@lords.com

Joel Weaver

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:31:58 -0500, Sergey Dashevskiy
<xi...@tcimet.net> wrote:

>In article <877lmd$j6v$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, prh...@erols.com says...
>> Probably because the odds of summoning a that cons even to you at level 29
>> are rather low
>
>I'd say there's no chances whatsoever to summon a white pet
>
>> (i.e. its more than likely gonna be a level 28 pet) once
>> you get to level 34 thats more than likely to change
>
>I always thought that you would summon a level 22-27 pet, no?

The level 29 necro pet spell summons a level 22-26 pet. I'm not sure
about the level 29 magician pet spells. However, even the strongest
necro pet at that level only seldom swings the second weapon.

Joel Weaver
jwe...@bayou.uh.edu

Mason Barge

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00

>actually I'm not real sure, I know at level 20 I could summon a white pet on
>occasion
>and at my current level of 22 I still summon "con dangerous" blue pets..

The con system changes at increasing levels and confuses a lot of pet
summoners.

Mason Barge

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
I don't think anybody has addressed the original question. Is there anyone who
has experienced an increase in any aspect of pet melee? And I'm mostly
interested in level 34+, if you're talking about lower levels please specify.

My equipped pet does dual wield, but for the same amount of damage, and with
the same frequency, as his double hit prior to the "upgrade". As far as I can
tell, there is zero benefit to equipping a pet other than the way it looks.

Does anybody have a different experience? I was watching this pretty closely
before and after the patch and I think Verant has given the mages absolutely
nothing with the patch.

Remus Shepherd

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
Mason Barge <mason...@aol.comnospam> wrote:
> I don't think anybody has addressed the original question. Is there anyone who
> has experienced an increase in any aspect of pet melee? And I'm mostly
> interested in level 34+, if you're talking about lower levels please specify.

> My equipped pet does dual wield, but for the same amount of damage, and with
> the same frequency, as his double hit prior to the "upgrade". As far as I can
> tell, there is zero benefit to equipping a pet other than the way it looks.

> Does anybody have a different experience? I was watching this pretty closely
> before and after the patch and I think Verant has given the mages absolutely
> nothing with the patch.

My level 29 pet dual wields and double attacks, but only rarely does he
do both. It seems that the dual wield skill for the 29th level pet isn't
very high. But when it works, it means that the pet gets 3-4 hits where he
would ordinarily only get 2. The damage difference is noticable.

If you're testing your pet against mobs of your level then you're not
seeing a good representation of what they can do...especially if you have
your filter set so that 'others misses' aren't displayed. If the pet misses
a high level mob, it looks like they never made that extra attack. My
advice -- go to a mid-level zone and wail upon some young kodiaks. They're
low enough that your pet will hit nearly every time, and they're tough enough
to last a few combat rounds for a good test. You should see your pet hitting
three or four times in a row, rather than the two hits it used to get.

... ...
Remus Shepherd (re...@netcom.com)

Mason Barge

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
> My
>advice -- go to a mid-level zone and wail upon some young kodiaks.

Well young kodiaks aren't going to do it, but I will take your suggestion
against a high green.

The problem here is that, if pet will only get more multiple hits against
greens, it is an insignificant upgrade. I rarely need help killing greens.

My experience includes multiple hits. Unequipped mage pets will double hit AND
kick or bash with some regularity, and they did so prior to the patch, and they
did so against some high-level mobs. In other words, saying an equipped pet
now gets three or four damage items in a round is not necessarily an upgrade.
Seeing an unequipped 34+ pet hit for max, second hit for 7/8 max, and kick or
bash for 3/8 max, occurs in (VERY roughly) 1 out of 3 or 4 melees against low
agility mobs.

I use 34, of course, because this assumes a pet summoned with a focus object.

It might well be that dual-equipping a pet has the same effect as use of a
focus object.

Remus Shepherd

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
Mason Barge <mason...@aol.comnospam> wrote:
> The problem here is that, if pet will only get more multiple hits against
> greens, it is an insignificant upgrade. I rarely need help killing greens.

It gets more hits against blues and higher, also...just more rarely. :)

> My experience includes multiple hits. Unequipped mage pets will double hit AND
> kick or bash with some regularity, and they did so prior to the patch, and they
> did so against some high-level mobs. In other words, saying an equipped pet
> now gets three or four damage items in a round is not necessarily an upgrade.

No, no, no. Here's what I've been seeing. Before the pet change, the
best possible combat round might go like:

Gebekn punches a bad guy for 28 damage!
Gebekn punches a bad guy for 28 damage!
Gebekn bashes a bad guy for 8 damage!
Gabekn kicks a bad guy for 6 damage!

Note that the 'punch' attack was a double attack. Now the pet has duel
weild; I equip him with a summoned dagger and sword (because I like telling
the two attacks apart) and the best combat round is now:

Gebekn pierces a bad guy for 28 damage!
Gebekn pierces a bad guy for 28 damage!
Gebekn slashes a bad guy for 28 damage!
Gebekn bashes a bad guy for 8 damage!
Gabekn kicks a bad guy for 6 damage!

He got an extra attack with his off hand. That attack doesn't seem to
get a double attack bonus, but it's something.

Of course, combat rounds like that happen once in a blue moon. :) But
I am seeing him get some slashes in. So he's getting more attacks. Not
sure if he's doing a whole lot more damage, because the second attack only
goes off rarely for the 29th level pet. I assume it gets a lot better and
more noticable at higher level.

Brimlord

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
My pet routinely kicks and bashers in the same round.

Dylani
Magician of the 22nd Tier of Felwithe
Povar

danstrad

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
Unless its a special power of the mage pet, a kick and a bash cannot happen
in the same round. For a PC one greys the other out, for a necro pet it
seems to be random which he'll do.

mak

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
Wait til you get higher level pet and it'll hit 4 times much more often

Mason Barge

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00

>Gebekn punches a bad guy for 28 damage!
>Gebekn punches a bad guy for 28 damage!
>Gebekn bashes a bad guy for 8 damage!
>Gabekn kicks a bad guy for 6 damage!
>
> Note that the 'punch' attack was a double attack. Now the pet has duel
>weild; I equip him with a summoned dagger and sword (because I like telling
>the two attacks apart) and the best combat round is now:
>
>Gebekn pierces a bad guy for 28 damage!
>Gebekn pierces a bad guy for 28 damage!
>Gebekn slashes a bad guy for 28 damage!
>Gebekn bashes a bad guy for 8 damage!
>Gabekn kicks a bad guy for 6 damage!
>
> He got an extra attack with his off hand.

I have still never seen this. I'll keep looking.

What are you arming him with?

Remus Shepherd

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
Mason Barge <mason...@aol.comnospam> wrote:
>>Gebekn pierces a bad guy for 28 damage!
>>Gebekn pierces a bad guy for 28 damage!
>>Gebekn slashes a bad guy for 28 damage!
>>Gebekn bashes a bad guy for 8 damage!
>>Gabekn kicks a bad guy for 6 damage!
>>
>> He got an extra attack with his off hand.

> I have still never seen this. I'll keep looking.

> What are you arming him with?

Summoned dagger in primary hand, summoned sword of runes in the off hand.
They said that the delay of the weapons has no effect on pets...I trust
that they're right.

Sartorii

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
I'm only lvl 8 mage on a brand new server. So completely untwinked and
Broke!! Need some of my lvl 4 spells. I only buy Earth and Fire pets.. but I
was wondering
If an Experienced mage could give me a low down on the different pets and
their benifits ... and your personal preference =)

But at this lvl.. my pet hit for about 12 max. However when i give it a 2
hand weapon.. like a Scythe [just think it looks cool =)] He hits for 16.
The syche (rusty) has terrible delay but doesn't appear to affect the pet.
He still hits as often as normal. But does more damage. Don't think I get
duel weild until my lvl 12 pets.. sooo Is the damage increase with a higher
lvl pet also as viable?

=)

"Remus Shepherd" <re...@netcom15.netcom.com> wrote in message

Mason Barge

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
>I'm only lvl 8 mage on a brand new server. So completely untwinked and
>Broke!! Need some of my lvl 4 spells. I only buy Earth and Fire pets.. but I
>was wondering
>If an Experienced mage could give me a low down on the different pets and
>their benifits ... and your personal
> preference =)

1) Don't worry about the money. I've never twinked a character. It comes.
It's part of the fun IMHO. However, you need to plan to buy your spells.

2) Pet:

All you need until you start going into dungeons is water and earth. Earth has
the highest HP and casts root, but less offense. So it is good for solo/dual
work against single big mobs. The HP will absorb a lot of damage. The root
will allow you to get out of the mob's melee range and cast DD.

Water has less HP than earth, but more offense. Its attack is quicker, and it
casts a spell for about double its max melee damage. It also has built-in HP
regeneration, so it recovers more quickly. It is good for most everything and
is the pet you should get if you can't decide. It is best for soloing blue
mobs, because it will recover faster and its better offense will mean you use
less mana.

Mages argue about which is better overall, water or earth. I like water but
there is another side to it.

Air is a specialty pet. Its attack is extremely quick, it can cast stun, and
it can cast invisibility on itself. This makes it very valuable when fighting
casters, since it disrupts their casting, and in dungeons, where you don't want
mobs hitting it. Its hit points are very low.

Fire is the worst of the four IMHO. Low HP and not much more attack than the
water. It does have a damage shield it sometimes casts on itself, which gives
it the best total damage output, but I never use it. Some like it when they
have to fight a lot of little greens, as it can solo them quickly.

People are still arguing about the effects of arming mage pets. I have not
noticed any benefit to arming a pet after level 34, the level at which you get
focus objects, but I could be mistaken.

Sartorii

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
Wow.

Thank you very much..
A co-worker, my girl and I .. decided to try a Trio deal and see how we
fare.
Me a Mage
Him a Necro
Her a Druid

From you're discription.. I'll buy the waterpet as soon as I can afford
Invis so I can get my poor brother out of Erudin. =)

Muchas Muchas Gracias..

Sartorii - Mage of the Trio of Terror =P
Lanys Server

"Mason Barge" <mason...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message