Gaellic the Druid

Ingot Head

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
Greetings!

Thanks all for the advice for my Monk, Quai. He is indeed going to stick
with his hands and feet, and for now won't be buying any armor. I managed
to find a large sack for him at the Port Authority, and gulped a bit when it
cost over 3gp.

I decided to tinker with a Druid last night, and created one. The city it
gave me was Queynos, but when I appeared I was in "Surefalls Glen" or
something like that.

After registering with the guild, and setting the character up, I wandered
around a bit. I found some caves, one of which peeked out behind a
waterfall. I played with casting spells, but I don't know much about them
yet. The only spells I have are healing and skin like wood, but I had a
blast casting them repeatedly.

I logged out last night in a cave behind the waterfall, and when I came back
in today, there was an NPC wandering around named "Poacher". He apparently
was poaching bears, and wasn't happy with finding a druid wandering around,
because he killed me with three hits. I look forward to gaining enough
power to waste some poacher butt.

Here's my problem now... I had to be led back to the glen through a pitch
black cave system. I have no money, no torch (the candle doesn't do
ANYTHING), and no way to gain money so I can at least buy a torch. How can
a Human Druid get started in this place? I need something to fight for
experience and money, but the poacher was way to powerful, and the only way
out to adventure is a cave system I have to be led through.

Does anyone have any suggestions/hints for a beginning Druid?

Oh, and if the guy that found me lost and running into walls reads this
group, thanks a LOT!

Gaellic the Druid (1st)
Quai the Monk (3rd)
E'Ci

Jack Benny

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
Ingot Head wrote:

> I decided to tinker with a Druid last night, and created one. The city it
> gave me was Queynos, but when I appeared I was in "Surefalls Glen" or
> something like that.

Hello Ingot! Well I'm running a Druid as well. I started her in
Kelthin as a Wood Elf. Being a Druid has been a very enriching
experience for me. I stalk the woods banishing abominations to nature
and beauty. I am quickly becoming the master of travel within our group
and I am constantly called on to keep us out of bad areas and to guide
us to where we want to go. I would call a Druid the "Swiss Army Knife"
of a party. You can do some really neat things, and step up to any role
(although dont expect to be as good as who you are replacing - you can
do limited functions that "mirror" other classes, ie I'm a limited mage,
cleric, fighter or ranger)

I just made level 6 on Sunday.

> I played with casting spells, but I don't know much about them
> yet. The only spells I have are healing and skin like wood, but I had a
> blast casting them repeatedly.

spells. You will find many of them handy.

> I logged out last night in a cave behind the waterfall, and when I came back
> in today, there was an NPC wandering around named "Poacher". He apparently
> was poaching bears, and wasn't happy with finding a druid wandering around,
> because he killed me with three hits. I look forward to gaining enough
> power to waste some poacher butt.

I've found that I have some natural enemies as well. Unfortunately you
are.. if you pardon the pun between a rock and a hard place. I would
start over in Kelthin. It's very friendly to a Druid. Make sure and
take the time to map out the city from the get go. Otherwise you'll be
frustrated for a while trying to find things.

> Does anyone have any suggestions/hints for a beginning Druid?

Get a staff as soon as possible. Two handed blunt weapons are the way
to go as a Druid.

E-mail me and we can swap tactics. I'm on vacation all next week so
I'll have plenty of time to chat. Or you can just ICQ me at 7727131 (If
you can catch me out of the game *grin*.

Brax

Driakos

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99

Ingot Head wrote in message

(snipped)

Your're in the Glade? It's not too far from Qeynos. There is not much to
hunt in the Glade. Leave the Glade and run south down the big path that
leads all the way to North Qeynos. (1 zone away). Now you can join in the
endless battle against the forces of V.E.R.M.I.N. Virtual Entities
Ravaging Mankind In the Night?
Hmm... I'll think of a better one, that sounds like a sex doll.

In any case do that. Then when you get to level 5 you can move back into
Qeynos Hills which is one step closer to home.

It seems the way to make the quickest amount of money is to fight crap and
get at least 2 bags. Then camp out at the illusionary wall that spawns fire
beetle clones. (The whole royal bug family, Prince Klicky, Princess
Klicksalot, and Queen Crackletits.) You wont be alone however, there will
be many campers. The spawn is heavier at night. Klikkikikkitits give you
lots of big money eyeballs though.

Don't do this too long though, as it becomes boring, repetitive and sanity
stripping. Just get your spells paid for.

Or. You can go into Qeynos, and there are a ton of easy, enjoyable NPC
quests. I got one last night (at 2am so I couldn't finish it) where an NPC
sent me out to the major shopkeepers in Qeynos, to collect taxes. So I got
to run around with a list and ask for tax monies. They give you a huge gold
coin. I tried to get drunk with it, but you can't use it as currency....
crap. I also delivered and sang a song to some wharf harlot, collected the
bard patrol reports, and delivered a message to ... I forget his name but he
is the shopkeeper in Shurefall Glade. Doing all of that stuff got me a
bubble of experience at 5th level, not too shabby.

I don't know why the other guildmasters are giving me quests, since I am a
monk, but I wont argue. I guess Daiugen is a likeable fellow.

In short run to Qeynos. South. Have fun. Hug trees. Adopt a wolf. Don't
feed the bears.

See you in the game hopefully!

Driakos.
Daiugen the Monk E'ci.

jal...@ct1.nai.net

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
Hi Gaellic. I too have been running a Druid out of Surefall Glade and I like
it quite a bit. Maybe the experiences of another newbie can help a little.

As a half-elf, you should be able to see where you're going in the caves
between Surefall and Qeynos Hills. Turn the gamma correction up a lot. If
that doesn't help, you're probably not using Glide. Use it if you can.
You're going to need to be able to get through those caves without help.

As others have said, North Qeynos is a great newbie hunting ground. There
are some newbie monsters just outside the caves in Qeynos Hills, but the
spawn rate is really bad. Also, sometimes skeletons and putrid skeletons and
<shudder> dread corpses come wandering around there. Bad news for newbies.

The trouble with basing in Qeynos is that there is no Druid Guild there (I
don't think) so you'll have to keep running back to Surefall to train and buy
new spells. Generally this is no problem but there are some ways to get
killed making the trip so just run like hell and don't speak to strangers :)

Btw, one spell I recommend when you can afford it is Burst of Fire, which is a
nice monster lure.

Good luck!
John

In article <37023...@news.iglou.com>,

"Ingot Head" <cle...@spamstinks.iglou.com> wrote:

> I decided to tinker with a Druid last night, and created one. The city it
> gave me was Queynos, but when I appeared I was in "Surefalls Glen" or
> something like that.
>

> After registering with the guild, and setting the character up, I wandered
> around a bit. I found some caves, one of which peeked out behind a

> waterfall. I played with casting spells, but I don't know much about them

> yet. The only spells I have are healing and skin like wood, but I had a
> blast casting them repeatedly.

K. Laisathit

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
In article <37023...@news.iglou.com>,
Ingot Head <cle...@spamstinks.iglou.com> wrote:

>I logged out last night in a cave behind the waterfall, and when I came back
>in today, there was an NPC wandering around named "Poacher". He apparently
>was poaching bears, and wasn't happy with finding a druid wandering around,
>because he killed me with three hits. I look forward to gaining enough
>power to waste some poacher butt.

He's an NPC of some importance. You might want to talk to
your guildmaster about it.

>Here's my problem now... I had to be led back to the glen through a pitch
>black cave system. I have no money, no torch (the candle doesn't do
>ANYTHING), and no way to gain money so I can at least buy a torch.

Heh... the reason I never feel compelled to play human.

>How can
>a Human Druid get started in this place? I need something to fight for
>experience and money, but the poacher was way to powerful, and the only way
>out to adventure is a cave system I have to be led through.

As in most city zones, there is nothing in Surefall Glade.
You can either try Qeynos Hill or North Qeynos. I think
Qeynos hill is a tad low on Driakos's V.E.R.M.I.N., also
there are a few rabid wolves and bears around that will
kill you in 3 or 4 hits at level 1. Don't take the
protector of the forest crap too seriously. Apparently,
bears will attack, protector of the forest or no. Wolves,
though not rabid wolves, are a bit friendlier.

North Qeynos (outside the wall, that is) is crawling with
entry level critters. Even with hundreds of players
around, you have no shortage of target. Just follow the road
out from the Glade. Go straight at the crossroad, I think
turning left will lead you Northern Karana, not where
you want to be at this point.

>Does anyone have any suggestions/hints for a beginning Druid?

I tried both Half-elf and Wood-elf druid, I have to say that
you can't beat Wood-elf druid. Powergaming aside, the ability
to forage right of the bat is just too useful. Throw in hiding,
and your druid can stay out almost forever.

In the weapon department, you might want to consider one-hand
slashing. Druids can use scimitar. Find yourself a rusty one
to practice as soon as possible. The reason is, a good
store-bought scimitar goes for 7 platinum. Much cheaper
than Druid's other good weapons and you can use shield.
I don't think 2H blunt is worth it for druids. Also, rumor
has it that Druid's special weapon is a scimitar.

Finally, unlike fighter-classes, you've got to pick your
opponent carefully. Soloing white is a bad idea. My ranger
can do white or even yellow up to level 7, my druid just can't.
She gets slaughtered if she tries. This isn't very apparent,
since all newbies have similar skills. But I think there
are hidden class-related bonuses when it comes to skills.

Later...
K I R A T I L A I S A T H I T kir...@u.washington.edu

Silverlock

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:46:00 -0500, "Ingot Head"
<cle...@spamstinks.iglou.com> wrote:

The cave behind the waterfall doesn't go anywhere. Its a bear cave,
lots of levels and stuff but its a dead end. Head south from the
buildings and the two guys shooting at the archery range to get to the
tunnel to the Qeynos hills which although it does turn around a bit
has no splits or forks. Even blind you can run it. Good luck ;-)

>Greetings!
>
>Thanks all for the advice for my Monk, Quai. He is indeed going to stick
>with his hands and feet, and for now won't be buying any armor. I managed
>to find a large sack for him at the Port Authority, and gulped a bit when it
>cost over 3gp.
>

>I decided to tinker with a Druid last night, and created one. The city it
>gave me was Queynos, but when I appeared I was in "Surefalls Glen" or
>something like that.
>
>After registering with the guild, and setting the character up, I wandered
>around a bit. I found some caves, one of which peeked out behind a
>waterfall. I played with casting spells, but I don't know much about them
>yet. The only spells I have are healing and skin like wood, but I had a
>blast casting them repeatedly.
>

>I logged out last night in a cave behind the waterfall, and when I came back
>in today, there was an NPC wandering around named "Poacher". He apparently
>was poaching bears, and wasn't happy with finding a druid wandering around,
>because he killed me with three hits. I look forward to gaining enough
>power to waste some poacher butt.
>

>Here's my problem now... I had to be led back to the glen through a pitch
>black cave system. I have no money, no torch (the candle doesn't do

>ANYTHING), and no way to gain money so I can at least buy a torch. How can

>a Human Druid get started in this place? I need something to fight for
>experience and money, but the poacher was way to powerful, and the only way
>out to adventure is a cave system I have to be led through.
>

>Does anyone have any suggestions/hints for a beginning Druid?

Chris Sanders

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
You've gotten a lot of good advice so far, but there's something I
would like to add. The spell flame lick is often overlooked, because it
requires a reagent. However, it does not consume the reagent, so you
can cast the spell over and over again as long as you have a fire beetle
eye in your inventory. This doubles as a weak light source too, so it's
not a big problem. This spell lowers the monsters ac some and also does
damage over time. It makes a great lure, though it's going to be
resisted by monsters some. It also makes it a little easier for you to
hit things as it slowly burns away at their defenses.

Good luck and may Karana watch over you.

Cristos - E'ci - Halfling Druid