Is the Heal Pet spell any good?

Mason Barge

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
My experiments show that this is not worth much, at least at higher levels. I
tried it and got about 20% healing for about 1/2 bubble of mana. I can chain
cast a new pet for just over 1 bubble. This gives me a theoretical 100% heal
for just over twice the mana ( although with the realities and uncertainties of
chain casting, you might well kill the first pet at 20% or even 25% HP)

This was a very informal observation, not a rigorous test. But then, the
comparison wasn't very close, i.e. recasting was a clear winner. This spell
might be valuable to mages in their 20's, too, where the pets have fewer HP and
recasting takes a larger bite of mana. That is, I can imagine that at level 20
you might get a 50% heal for one bubble and a new pet would cost two bubbles.

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me
some coffee."
- Abraham Lincoln

Marc Fuller

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00

It depends on what you are fighting, and what your group composition is. At
level 22, I often end up in groups that are fighting things that are light to
dark red to me, which I can't cast on worth spit. However, once I get my
Alteration skill up to a usable level (it's currently stuck down around 60 or
so,) I'll still be able to inflict damage if necessary by healing my pet. Yes,
casting a new 850hp earth pet is probably cheaper mana-wise, but it takes time
(a whole lot of time, actually,) and if the mobs your pet was fighting come
after you, you're in at least a bit of trouble. How much trouble depends on who
you're grouping with. It's also nice for when I'm soloing crag spiders or
gnolls in Highpass, since I'll often regain full mana, and my Earth pet will
still have up to 20% of its hitpoints left to regenerate. It also allows me to
work around the nasty new Cancel Magic bug, since I can still cast Burnout on my
pets without them dying due to hitpoint attrition.

Marc Fuller

Mason Barge

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
>f necessary by healing my pet. Yes,
>casting a new 850hp earth pet is probably cheaper mana-wise, but it takes
>time
>(a whole lot of time, actually,) and if the mobs your pet was fighting come
>after you, you're in at least a bit of trouble.

Here's a tip --

Watch pet's health closely. When it hits about 20 (depending on situation)
start to cast a new pet.

Now type "/pet get lost" and watch the spell bar. One second before new pet is
cast, hit Enter and kill the old pet.

This is tricky but not so tricky that it can't be done under combat conditions.
I have cast five continuous pets to solo a big mob.

Ecwfrk

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
In article <20000121130632...@ng-cb1.aol.com>,
mason...@aol.comnospam says...

> My experiments show that this is not worth much, at least at higher levels. I
> tried it and got about 20% healing for about 1/2 bubble of mana. I can chain
> cast a new pet for just over 1 bubble. This gives me a theoretical 100% heal
> for just over twice the mana ( although with the realities and uncertainties of
> chain casting, you might well kill the first pet at 20% or even 25% HP)
>
> This was a very informal observation, not a rigorous test. But then, the
> comparison wasn't very close, i.e. recasting was a clear winner. This spell
> might be valuable to mages in their 20's, too, where the pets have fewer HP and
> recasting takes a larger bite of mana. That is, I can imagine that at level 20
> you might get a 50% heal for one bubble and a new pet would cost two bubbles.

I kinda figure it really isn't supposed to be a usefull high level spell.
Since the first one (supposedly) is level 8 and the second is level 20 I
would guess the spell is only useful for 2 ranks above spell level at
best. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll add a 32nd and a 42nd (or
something like that) pet heal in the future. Of course since we mages
have the benifit of having cheap to cast pets and high levels that would
be kinda redunant.

Xenu

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
I have heard that our pets get super-regen at level 39, even if they
have burnout on them.

If that is true then all healspells will be obsolete then. At my
current level (35) the level 20 spell is still usefull. For downtime,
if nothing else. I have often found myself in the situation that my
firepet is at half hp while I have full mana and still waiting for the
puller to come back or even go and start pulling.