your pet's level

chris

Jul 7, 2002, 2:26:52 PM7/7/02
does anyone know the truth behind summoning a pet of a decent level?

i heard it was only affected by the caster's conjuration skill - NOT true

i heard it was random - maybe . . .

a necro's level 4 pet spell almost always summons a yellow (lvl 5) pet

enchanter pets 20-40 are all green, but the 44 (sometimes) and 49 (always)
pets are blue

mage pets seem the most consistent, being blue blue blue for a mage's life

(everyone laugh at druid and wizard pets . . . dorks have so much power and
they need pets too? /mock)

so who has research? i'm mega-curious about how random pet summoning is

chris
"there's no such thing as a pretty good alligator wrestler" -Jonny Knoxville

slapfish

Jul 7, 2002, 3:29:48 PM7/7/02

> so who has research? i'm mega-curious about how random pet summoning is

I don't know but I was wondering that too. I was having a lot of trouble
finding the right words, so at level 22 I was still fighting with my 16th
level pet. Most of the time I would summon a pet that conned green to me,
but sometimes he would be light blue and sometimes even dark blue. It
couldn't have to do with conjuration skill, because then once I had summoned
a dark blue pet they would all be dark blue.

It's probably just random. Kind of like combining success-but it seems that
there would be some contributing factor or factors.

Dark Tyger

Jul 7, 2002, 3:20:19 PM7/7/02
"chris" <adam...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>(everyone laugh at druid and wizard pets . . . dorks have so much power and
>they need pets too? /mock)

Familiars aren't really pets. It's a buff with a visual component. As
a pet, it's even more useless than an Enchanter's pet.

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Email me at comcast.net
=^..^=

"This is espresso, kid. It's, like, coffee-zilla"
-Dean, The Iron Giant
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=133230

chris

Jul 7, 2002, 3:44:28 PM7/7/02
wizards do get pets . . lvl 57 one-use melee attack . . . just an annoying
technicality (hey, what ELSE are newsgroups for?)

i'm actually just posting b/c enchanter pets used to be the most useless
item in all of eq, but since the no-mezz-breaking patch, they're worth
defending as the most humble offense ever (or comes in handy when doing
grachnist farming)

"Dark Tyger" <dark...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

rcsmiley

Jul 7, 2002, 4:44:19 PM7/7/02

slapfish <slap...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> It's probably just random. Kind of like combining success-but it seems
that
> there would be some contributing factor or factors.

Here's a thought...

It seems to me that pet names differ according to level, class and type
(Fire pets have different names to Air/Earth/Water, etc).

You can't get 2 pets with the same name in the same zone (at least I've
never seen it happen)... and I'm guessing the names aren't random, otherwise
it'd take forever to summon one if the randome-name-generator kept picking a
name already in use...

Is there a set list of pet names pre-generated for each zone? If so, is it
possible that pet stats are also pre-generated for each name?

<Necro_04 summons a lvl 29 pet>... "Jabober, you're up next!"
<Necro_17 summons a lvl 29 pet>... "Jabober's busy... Jebanor, your turn!"

slapfish

Jul 7, 2002, 5:24:37 PM7/7/02
> Here's a thought...
>
> It seems to me that pet names differ according to level, class and type
> (Fire pets have different names to Air/Earth/Water, etc).
>
> You can't get 2 pets with the same name in the same zone (at least I've
> never seen it happen)... and I'm guessing the names aren't random,
otherwise
> it'd take forever to summon one if the randome-name-generator kept picking
> name already in use...
>
> Is there a set list of pet names pre-generated for each zone? If so, is it
> possible that pet stats are also pre-generated for each name?
>
> <Necro_04 summons a lvl 29 pet>... "Jabober, you're up next!"
> <Necro_17 summons a lvl 29 pet>... "Jabober's busy... Jebanor, your turn!"

I never noticed that before. OK now I will have to keep a log of all the
pet names and how they conned. So who has the best stats based on what
you've experienced?

MadBomma®

Jul 7, 2002, 8:49:17 PM7/7/02

"rcsmiley" <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote in message

> slapfish <slap...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> > It's probably just random. Kind of like combining success-but it seems
> that
> > there would be some contributing factor or factors.
> >

> Here's a thought...
>
> It seems to me that pet names differ according to level, class and type
> (Fire pets have different names to Air/Earth/Water, etc).
>
> You can't get 2 pets with the same name in the same zone (at least I've
> never seen it happen)... and I'm guessing the names aren't random,
otherwise
> it'd take forever to summon one if the randome-name-generator kept picking
> name already in use...

Actually, this is incorrect. I have a screenshot of two Gasekns standing
next to each other. They were both necro pets created by myself and another
necro camping Rukgus for pre-nerf dark circlets (insta-cast gather shadows).
I would guess that they server had them labeled as Gasekn_01 and Gasekn_02.

MadBomma®

Dark Tyger

Jul 7, 2002, 10:45:17 PM7/7/02
"rcsmiley" <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote:

>You can't get 2 pets with the same name in the same zone (at least I've
>never seen it happen)...

I have. I used to have a screenshot of my SK and the necromancer he
was partnered with who both had pets with the same name. Curiously
enough, that name was "Loner"... I may still have it converted and
saved into jpg, I'll have to dig. The only thing we could figure was
we both finished summoning within half a second of each other. Pet
name may be based off the clock...

rcsmiley

Jul 7, 2002, 10:55:42 PM7/7/02

> "rcsmiley" <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >You can't get 2 pets with the same name in the same zone (at least I've
> >never seen it happen)...
>
> I have. I used to have a screenshot of my SK and the necromancer he
> was partnered with who both had pets with the same name. Curiously
> enough, that name was "Loner"... I may still have it converted and
> saved into jpg, I'll have to dig. The only thing we could figure was
> we both finished summoning within half a second of each other. Pet
> name may be based off the clock...

durnnit... another great theory shot to hell :o)

Dan Day

Jul 8, 2002, 12:44:47 AM7/8/02
On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 02:45:17 GMT, Dark Tyger <dark...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> I used to have a screenshot of my SK and the necromancer he
>was partnered with who both had pets with the same name. Curiously
>enough, that name was "Loner"...'

ROFL.

Sennes Arborean

Jul 8, 2002, 3:26:20 AM7/8/02
You might want to reconsider your theory.

I play a mage, my pets tend to con dark blue, but not always.

However, using the con as a measuring tool might not be the best idea. The
con does not display powerlevel (for lack of a better word) it predicts the
outcome of a fight between you and the target. A white con is supposed to
have just as big a chance of winning, but this does not take into account
variables suchs as armor and equipment.

As a ranger, I cannot stand toe to toe with a dark blue drachnid, I'll get
pummled into a bloody heap. But with my trusty bow, I root kite whites and
even yellows.

The point being, the con is not a good way of assessing the strenght of your
pet for a mage might have a hard time killing his own pet, while a enchanter
can take his down with little trouble.

Sander Baaij

Jul 8, 2002, 4:02:29 AM7/8/02
"chris" <adam...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> does anyone know the truth behind summoning a pet of a decent level?
>
> i heard it was only affected by the caster's conjuration skill - NOT true
>
> i heard it was random - maybe . . .
>

> a necro's level 4 pet spell almost always summons a yellow (lvl 5) pet
>
> enchanter pets 20-40 are all green, but the 44 (sometimes) and 49 (always)
> pets are blue
>
> mage pets seem the most consistent, being blue blue blue for a mage's life
>
> (everyone laugh at druid and wizard pets . . . dorks have so much power
and
> they need pets too? /mock)
>

> so who has research? i'm mega-curious about how random pet summoning is

Random like the /random command ingame. Sometimes it seems like you're
winning every roll and another time you lose rolls even on cloth caps.

Summoned pets can be between 5 levels and the stats per level are set. The
conning of your pet is only remotely efficient. Green/Lichtblue pets are
just balancing at the lower end levels of exp-giving mobs to you. A mage at
level 4 can summon pets from lvl 2-6 (not sure, will have to look up) so 2/5
of your casts are yellow cons, 1 is white and 2/5 are blue.

What disrupts perception is that when you have a yellow pet you kill so
fast, and level fast with it, that you only need 1 or 2 pets to finish lvls
4 and 5 and probably even 6. Having had only a yellow con makes you think
you're only summoning yellows.

Anyway, pets work differently then normal players. My lvl 60 water pet is
around lvl 47 or so normally but still manages to outdamage most 50+
warriors and knights in my guild (and maybe even non-epic monks). Quad 68
hits and 208 dam backstabs go a long way :)

--
Rhand Kinslayer
Arch Mage

georg

Jul 8, 2002, 6:47:42 AM7/8/02
rcsmiley <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote in message

> Here's a thought...
>
> It seems to me that pet names differ according to level, class and type
> (Fire pets have different names to Air/Earth/Water, etc).
>
> You can't get 2 pets with the same name in the same zone (at least I've
> never seen it happen)... and I'm guessing the names aren't random,
otherwise
> it'd take forever to summon one if the randome-name-generator kept picking
> name already in use...
>
> Is there a set list of pet names pre-generated for each zone? If so, is it
> possible that pet stats are also pre-generated for each name?

I've had Laner as pet at level 24 ish in EK and again a lot higher in SK....
I don't think so.

-georg

Greafaxe

Jul 8, 2002, 9:08:25 AM7/8/02

"Dark Tyger" <dark...@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "rcsmiley" <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >You can't get 2 pets with the same name in the same zone (at least I've
> >never seen it happen)...
>
> I have. I used to have a screenshot of my SK and the necromancer he
> was partnered with who both had pets with the same name. Curiously
> enough, that name was "Loner"...

I always hated getting a pet named Goner. It seems to be a bab omen about
things to come.

Greafaxe

Jul 8, 2002, 9:12:23 AM7/8/02

"Greafaxe" <Grea...@notmaixlx.com> wrote in message

> I always hated getting a pet named Goner. It seems to be a bab omen about
> things to come.

That would be a "bad" omen. I swear that if I ever learn to type, I just
might be dangerous...

Sean Kennedy

Jul 8, 2002, 12:09:28 PM7/8/02
"Sennes Arborean" <sp...@spammertown.co.spam> wrote in

Con does NOT predict the outcome of a fight - Con is
based solely on level. A Black (or White) con is always
the same level you are, blue is up to 15 levels lower (at
level 60) about 13 or 14 at 55, yellow is 1 or 2 levels higher,
cyan is the 1 or 2 levels below the lowest dark blue, green
for all mobs below that, red for all mobs 3+ levels higher.

At low levels when there are differentiations in the dark blues,
it is entirely possible to tell what level (therefore how powerful)
your pet is, by conning it.

At higher levels you simply keep an eye out for your pet's
max hit - that will tell you its level and HP (if you take
a look at the pet table at the Mage Compendium)

For example, Vocarate pets range from level 41 to level 45
(without a staff of mastery). The air and water pets have
max hits ranging from 48 to 56, corresponding to level
(I.E. a 41 hits for 48, 42 for 50, 43 for 52, 44 for 54
and 45 for 56. Voc. Earth hits 2 points harder per level,
Voc fire is completely different)

Knowing this and the level range of the mobs you're hunting
will tell you how well your pet will tank/hit them.

A good example is Gornit (level 34-37 giant in OOT). You can
tell what level he is by how hard he hits as well. I knew
at level 44 (where my pets ranged 33-37) that a low hitter
had no chance of tanking a top con Gornit, so I always re-summoned
until I had a 46 or 48 hitter (36th and 37th level respectively)

Sean Kennedy

Jul 8, 2002, 12:15:16 PM7/8/02
"Sander Baaij" <nos...@kill.com> wrote in

> Anyway, pets work differently then normal players. My lvl 60 water pet
> is around lvl 47 or so normally but still manages to outdamage most
> 50+ warriors and knights in my guild (and maybe even non-epic monks).
> Quad 68 hits and 208 dam backstabs go a long way :)
>

> --
> Rhand Kinslayer
> Arch Mage
> Antonius Bayle
> officer of Lowland Elites

I can't wait for 60 water :) I already know that
a top con Vocarate Water will outdamage a 55 ranger
(FBSS, Jagged Sword fo Mourning and LSOEE - not uber
by any means) on every thing from level 41 elemental
warriors to level 53 rock golems. The difference
gets lower as the mobs level increases, the margin
on the 53 golem was only a couple of DPS. Now that
he's epiced, I doubt Spike will outdamage him anymore :(

I'm hoping 60 water + muzzle of Mardu will tip the
scales back in my favor :)

Kevy D

Jul 8, 2002, 4:35:18 PM7/8/02
On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 14:26:52 -0400, "chris" <adam...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

This is going to sound crazy but I swore I casted better pets (Necro)
with bones from higher level mobs. i.e. bones from DB's casted
better pets on average than bones from skeletons.

Graefaxe

Jul 8, 2002, 4:43:25 PM7/8/02

"Kevy D" <afd...@faew.com> wrote in message

> This is going to sound crazy but I swore I casted better pets (Necro)
> with bones from higher level mobs. i.e. bones from DB's casted
> better pets on average than bones from skeletons.

Yo! Doctor! I have one for you! Don't forget the net!

No way you can seperate them (unless you are really anal and sort your bone
chips by mob level). A bone chip is a bone chip is a bone chip.

Dark Tyger

Jul 8, 2002, 4:57:59 PM7/8/02
Kevy D <afd...@faew.com> wrote:

>This is going to sound crazy but I swore I casted better pets (Necro)
>with bones from higher level mobs. i.e. bones from DB's casted
>better pets on average than bones from skeletons.

Bone chips are bone chips. If they stack together with bone chips off
decaying skeletons, then they're the exact same thing. ANY difference
in the items would make them not stack together.

Sander Baaij

Jul 9, 2002, 5:26:12 AM7/9/02
"Sean Kennedy" <kse...@nospam.qwest.net> wrote in message

> "Sander Baaij" <nos...@kill.com> wrote in
> >
> > Anyway, pets work differently then normal players. My lvl 60 water pet
> > is around lvl 47 or so normally but still manages to outdamage most
> > 50+ warriors and knights in my guild (and maybe even non-epic monks).
> > Quad 68 hits and 208 dam backstabs go a long way :)
>
> I can't wait for 60 water :) I already know that
> a top con Vocarate Water will outdamage a 55 ranger
> (FBSS, Jagged Sword fo Mourning and LSOEE - not uber
> by any means) on every thing from level 41 elemental
> warriors to level 53 rock golems. The difference
> gets lower as the mobs level increases, the margin
> on the 53 golem was only a couple of DPS. Now that
> he's epiced, I doubt Spike will outdamage him anymore :(
>
> I'm hoping 60 water + muzzle of Mardu will tip the
> scales back in my favor :)

Muzzle is rather pointless when you have BO4 though. Pet's are capped at 60%
haste (BO3 is already 60%, but BO4 also gives some ac and str next to the
65% haste afaik).
If you want to see the tests do some searches on magiciantower's ezboard.
There are several threads with the tests of BO3, BO4, muzzles and even
shammie's avatar buff.

Oh and there is no chance I'm going to outdamage a hasted 60 ranger or
epicced 60 monk on any fight that lasts longer then my mana pool without my
epic :(