Ice comet.

Amir B.K

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
How lovely! you need to kill nagafen to get the components to research the
ice comet spell... he he. I allways thought that Ice comet is something that
you'd like BEFORE you go against nagafen...

--
"CAN'T YOU SEE IT! IT'S JUST ALL SO VERY WRONG!"
----

DG

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
> How lovely! you need to kill nagafen to get the components to research the
> ice comet spell... he he. I allways thought that Ice comet is something
that
> you'd like BEFORE you go against nagafen...
>
> "CAN'T YOU SEE IT! IT'S JUST ALL SO VERY WRONG!"

> Amir Ben-Kiki

FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!,
[...]
FUCK!, FUCK!, FUCK!

Desdinova

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
"DG" <pres...@whitehouse.gov> sez:

You seem tense.

Des

Aaron Johnson

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
You know, that may not be the ONLY place to get it. I don't happen to know of another, but that doesn't mean there isn't one

Mike Wilson, UCE Account

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Amir B.K <yb...@isdn.net.il> wrote:
> How lovely! you need to kill nagafen to get the components to research the
> ice comet spell... he he. I allways thought that Ice comet is something that
> you'd like BEFORE you go against nagafen...

I completely agree. IF you can kill Nagafen to begin with you PROBABLY don't
need ice comet.

Where did you hear this anyway? (Runes for ice comet on nagafen)

--
---
Mike Wilson, http://www.drwho.org http://www.pobox.com/~mwilson

Matt

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Maybe it's also obtainable from one of the gods in the alternate
planes....

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:20:29 GMT, **NOSPAM**a...@cyberg8t.com (Aaron
Johnson) wrote:

>You know, that may not be the ONLY place to get it. I don't happen to know of another, but that doesn't mean there isn't one

Wwen Delian

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99

>Where did you hear this anyway? (Runes for ice comet on nagafen)

EQlizer, a big group on Fennin Ro killed him a few days ago and EQlizer listed
what he carried. Nothing real special except for the rune and another item that
is rumored to be part of the fiery avenger quest.....

"A chicken with its neck wrung is different from a chicken with its head cut
off, but does it matter to the chicken?" Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Robert Whisler

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:33:04 +0300, "Amir B.K" <yb...@isdn.net.il>
wrote:

>How lovely! you need to kill nagafen to get the components to research the
>ice comet spell... he he. I allways thought that Ice comet is something that
>you'd like BEFORE you go against nagafen...

Yeah, kind of makes the whole point of getting ice comet moot. If you
can kill Nagafen without ice comet, what's the use of it afterwards?

Perhaps in some other zones, the ones that only wizards can get to,
you'll need ice comet.

Faelloran Lightstrider
Ranger of Kelethin
(Tunare)

DG

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Maybe your supposed to bribe one of the programmers with a cashiers check.

Matt <mcal...@fix.net> wrote in message

> Maybe it's also obtainable from one of the gods in the alternate
> planes....
>

> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:20:29 GMT, **NOSPAM**a...@cyberg8t.com (Aaron
> Johnson) wrote:
>
> >You know, that may not be the ONLY place to get it. I don't happen to
know of another, but that doesn't mean there isn't one

D. Bingham Brown

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99

Wwen Delian wrote in message
<19990715121350...@ng-fx1.aol.com>...

>>Where did you hear this anyway? (Runes for ice comet on nagafen)
>>

>EQlizer, a big group on Fennin Ro killed him a few days ago and EQlizer
listed
>what he carried. Nothing real special except for the rune and another item
that
>is rumored to be part of the fiery avenger quest.....

Er, nothing special?

Cloak of Flames
Dex +9 Agi +9 HP +50 SV Fire +15
Effect: Haste
All/All

That's pretty special...

Personally, I don't really feel bad that wizards have to get their
super-spell from Nagafen. That's supposedly part of the fiery avenger
quest, and the cloak of flames is, to melee classes, essentially the
same. Not necessary, but required to live up to your full (damage)
potential.

Lowinor Silverleaf
Wood elf rogue, 25th level, Tunare

JD Thorne

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
I believe Vox also drops Frost.
Kalleon Valkyrre
Wizard
Karana Server
Combine Guild, Leader

Wwen Delian

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
>I believe Vox also drops Frost.

When Vox was killed she only dropped 4pp.

Brian Cully

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
In article <BE2CB5713171429E.F79F232D...@lp.airnews.net>,

Robert Whisler <*> wrote:
>Perhaps in some other zones, the ones that only wizards can get to,
>you'll need ice comet.

There's a teleporter to the Plane of Fear and a teleporter to the
Plane of Air. Other classes can get to them, too.

Archi Tuttle
Monk at Large
Innoruuk

Jeffrey Lin

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
I think they should put most if not all level 30+ spells on creatures and/or quests
and remove them from vendors. They should be rare and powerful magic just like any
other piece of equipment above level 30. I found the spell vendors selling
mass-produced spells of massive destruction and divine blessing a real joke.

Order now for "How to have 2 Way Communications with God" & "You too can Summon
your own Ice Comet". Get them both now for 4 easy payments of 19.99. Shipping and
Faction bonus not included.

Wwen Delian

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
>Er, nothing special?
>
>Cloak of Flames
>Dex +9 Agi +9 HP +50 SV Fire +15
>Effect: Haste
>All/All

I just meant you'd expect to get something better off a big freakin dragon that
took 40 people to kill. there are already a few items in the game that have a
haste effect that are on much easier mobs (easier compared to nagafen). And
those bonuses, like I said, aren't that special.

JD Thorne

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
>>I believe Vox also drops Frost.
>
>When Vox was killed she only dropped 4pp.

Hmm, I believe there was a treasure room with the actual items. I know that
the wizard who participated in the Vox hunt shortly thereafter started using
ice comet...

David D.

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
wrote:

>How lovely! you need to kill nagafen to get the components to research the
>ice comet spell... he he. I allways thought that Ice comet is something that
>you'd like BEFORE you go against nagafen...
>

>--

>"CAN'T YOU SEE IT! IT'S JUST ALL SO VERY WRONG!"

>----
> Amir Ben-Kiki

What? You people aren't bitching enough. So you get the rune of
frost. Now what? You still have to have the rune of astral to finish
ice comet. God knows where it is. The red dragon only solves half
this problem.

David D.

JD Thorne

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
Rune of astral is on the caster giants by each dragon's lair.

Mike Wilson, UCE Account

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
D. Bingham Brown <dbr...@stny.lrun.com> wrote:

> Wwen Delian wrote in message
> <19990715121350...@ng-fx1.aol.com>...
>>>
>>>Where did you hear this anyway? (Runes for ice comet on nagafen)

> Personally, I don't really feel bad that wizards have to get their

> super-spell from Nagafen. That's supposedly part of the fiery avenger
> quest, and the cloak of flames is, to melee classes, essentially the
> same. Not necessary, but required to live up to your full (damage)
> potential.

Um, if it's only one rune then it's only HALF of the spell. I think it's
pretty silly that they put something like that on Nagafen. What do we have
to kill vox AND nagafen to make ice comet? Um, if I can do that I don't NEED
it.

The sword is another matter because you can hand it down/etc. Spells, well I
can't show it off.

I find it really silly we can buy all of our teleport/portal spells but not
most of the spells wizards would USE the most. I mean wizards are known for
nuking :)

palad...@my-deja.com

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
In article <7qnj3.2867$gC2....@dfw-read.news.verio.net>,

uce_...@yahoo.com (Mike Wilson, UCE Account) wrote:
> Amir B.K <yb...@isdn.net.il> wrote:
> > How lovely! you need to kill nagafen to get the components to
research the
> > ice comet spell... he he. I allways thought that Ice comet is
something that
> > you'd like BEFORE you go against nagafen...
>
> I completely agree. IF you can kill Nagafen to begin with you
PROBABLY don't
> need ice comet.

We all seem to be forgetting something. There will be additions to
everquest in the future which will probably boast higher level mobs and
such for which Ice Comet will be useful.

"Must learn walk before learn fly. Nature's rules Danielson, not
mine." -- Mr. Myagi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Hippie Ramone

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
palad...@my-deja.com wrote:
: We all seem to be forgetting something. There will be additions to

: everquest in the future which will probably boast higher level mobs and
: such for which Ice Comet will be useful.

So what is the reason behind the existance of the of the spell in the
current game then? A glorified brownie button?

Stefan Raets

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:13:16 GMT, Jeffrey Lin <j...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>I think they should put most if not all level 30+ spells on creatures and/or quests
>and remove them from vendors. They should be rare and powerful magic just like any
>other piece of equipment above level 30. I found the spell vendors selling
>mass-produced spells of massive destruction and divine blessing a real joke.

I agree here. It's kind of absurd in a way that so many arcane high
level spells are available for purchase.
However, putting the runes for them on one of the toughest (if not
*the* toughest) monster in the game is not really fair to the wizards.
I wouldn't mind going on a quest to get my higher level spells. I
wouldn't even mind a quest that'd take me a week or more to complete -
hey, I'd probably have a lot of fun trying to solve it, and that's
what it's all about for me. But having to kill Lady Vox and Nagafen
is just a bit too much.

Aznyin Stormborn
Level 24 Erudite Wizard in exile.
Current residence: Unrest [Solusek Ro]

D. Bingham Brown

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99

Mike Wilson, UCE Account wrote in message ...

>Um, if it's only one rune then it's only HALF of the spell. I think it's
>pretty silly that they put something like that on Nagafen. What do we have
>to kill vox AND nagafen to make ice comet? Um, if I can do that I don't
NEED
>it.

Yeah, but rogues are _very_ gear oriented; to be 'maxed' we have to get
gear from both dragons as well.

While we meleers do get a bonus from having just one of the set of killer
items (cloak of flames, fanged skull stiletto (assuming Vox is the only
place to get the fss)), we still 'need' both as much as wizards need ice
comet.

And we probably don't NEED all that gear if we can kill the dragons anyway.

It goes both ways. Nobody gets their best toys from merchants.

>The sword is another matter because you can hand it down/etc. Spells, well
>can't show it off.

You can still research the spell again and give it to someone else.

>I find it really silly we can buy all of our teleport/portal spells but not
>most of the spells wizards would USE the most. I mean wizards are known for
>nuking :)

Oh, cry me a river. I'm a 25th level rogue. There's never going to be
another piece of equipment I'll *ever* buy from a merchant. I don't think
most casters realize just how much is *handed* to them by being able to
get half their spells each level by showing up at their guild and dropping
a couple hundred plat to merchants.

Other melee types are much the same way -- they buy plate, but by the time
they get to the high twenties they run out of purchasable gear. Rogues
and monks run out more quickly than anyone else -- I think I purchased
my last piece of equipment from a merchant at 11th level.

JD Thorne

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
>Oh, cry me a river. I'm a 25th level rogue. There's never going to be
>another piece of equipment I'll *ever* buy from a merchant. I don't think
>most casters realize just how much is *handed* to them by being able to
>get half their spells each level by showing up at their guild and dropping
>a couple hundred plat to merchants.

Your equipment is equivalent to a caster's equipment. Casters don't buy ANY
equipment, we find it from the beginning. How much did you pay to learn
backstab? Oh wait, you didn't pay a damn thing did you? It may seem like
casters get a lot of spells, but it's not like that. We upgrade instead of
having some skill (backstab), increase to compensate. Almost all our past
spells aren't used once we get our upgrades. Not to say rogues don't need
work, because they do, but casters don't have a damn thing handed to them.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
I suppose you haven't read it, but someone from Verant said you can get
the Rune from more than just nagafen.

D. Bingham Brown

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99

JD Thorne wrote in message <19990717152052...@ng-co1.aol.com>...

>Your equipment is equivalent to a caster's equipment. Casters don't buy
ANY
>equipment, we find it from the beginning. How much did you pay to learn
>backstab? Oh wait, you didn't pay a damn thing did you? It may seem like
>casters get a lot of spells, but it's not like that. We upgrade instead of
>having some skill (backstab), increase to compensate. Almost all our past
>spells aren't used once we get our upgrades. Not to say rogues don't need
>work, because they do, but casters don't have a damn thing handed to them.

Um, no. My equipment is the equivalent of a caster's spells. I need
to upgrade my gear to survive, just like you need to upgrade your spells,
however I don't get my next level of gear sitting in a shop.

To upgrade my backstab damage, I have to find a new weapon that has a
better damage value -- which can't be found in stores.

To upgrade my melee damage, I have to find a new weapon with a better
damage ratio -- which can't be found in stores.

Guess what? My role is dealing backstab and melee damage, both of which
the damage increase due to gaining skill is secondary to the increase of
upgrading to a better weapon.

It's *exactly* the same as a wizard getting a new DD spell. Sure, both
of us could use the spell/weapon we've used before, and it does get
better (I do more damage and hit more often, you fizzle less and get
resisted less) but we both need to upgrade to keep up with monsters our
level. The thing is, you can just waltz into a store and upgrade while
I can't. That's getting things handed to you.

Jeffrey Lin

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
I feel that pure spell casters spells are powerful as they should be. I just
don't feel that Verdant made it difficult enough to obtain that types of power.
That is the reason why there are so many pure spell casters compared to other
types. Some might say that it is because its more interesting to play, but I
found that theory to be flawed. Pure spell casters are just as much a one
dimentional caster as a pure melee in combat. The real reason for such massive
differences in numbers is that being a pure caster is the simplest, direct way
to massive firepower. The path of least resistance if you will.
IMO its one of the most imbalancing aspect of EQ, and the reasons why wizards
are not very popular, as there are very few tanks to guard them at higher
levels. Equipment for pure casters are more or less a luxury they can afford.
I also don't feel that making the vendor spells much more expensive is the key,
as that only means more boring hunting and accumilate cash.
A side bonus to this is that it makes the pure caster class more diverse,
because people will actually have a different set of spells. Currently every
wizard at the same level is the same person, with exact same ability, spells.
Kind of like clones if you will.

Matt

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Here here! I for one am glad that the magic users must also have as
difficult a time obtaining their high level spell components as the
melee classes do obtaining their weapons and armour. I've seen many a
spell slinger blast a magic weapon wielding NPC out from under a
warrior and then take and sell the weapon; it's only fair that the
mages feel what it's like to have a tough time obtaining the powerfull
*rare* spells just like *rare* weapons/armour.

Matt
mcal...@fix.net

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:54:57 -0400, "D. Bingham Brown"
<dbr...@stny.lrun.com> wrote:

>Oh, cry me a river. I'm a 25th level rogue. There's never going to be
>another piece of equipment I'll *ever* buy from a merchant. I don't think
>most casters realize just how much is *handed* to them by being able to
>get half their spells each level by showing up at their guild and dropping
>a couple hundred plat to merchants.
>

>Other melee types are much the same way -- they buy plate, but by the time
>they get to the high twenties they run out of purchasable gear. Rogues
>and monks run out more quickly than anyone else -- I think I purchased
>my last piece of equipment from a merchant at 11th level.

Martin Richard

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Dear supreme idiot:

Obtain two swords of Ykesha and one haste sash-these are both doable with 1-2
parties in their 40s-you can now outdamage a l50 wizard. Obtain runes of
astral and frost, have sufficient skill to combine them, be the one in the
group of 40+ who gets the rune, succeed or you have to wait another month for
another chance. Yes very fair. You have no clue how annoying research is-how
would you feel if you camped the partso on your swords with a group of 40 that
included other people who wanted it too, when do you think your turn will
come-that you needed a forging skill that could only be increased if you had
the right metals in the right combination and these metals were so rare that it
would take you months to increase your skill to sufficient level that you could
do them (assuming you find the right metals in the right combinations). So in
short please get a life. You don't have a clue how annoying research is-until
youve done it. In wizards case, its worse because almost all the researched
spells are either buyable or AE spells. Its doubly aggravation because shamans
and druids can buy all their fricking spells.

JD Thorne

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
>Here here! I for one am glad that the magic users must also have as
>difficult a time obtaining their high level spell components as the
>melee classes do obtaining their weapons and armour. I've seen many a
>spell slinger blast a magic weapon wielding NPC out from under a
>warrior and then take and sell the weapon; it's only fair that the
>mages feel what it's like to have a tough time obtaining the powerfull
>*rare* spells just like *rare* weapons/armour.
>

>Matt
>mcal...@fix.net

I too would like to see the spells harder to get, but then make it so all spell
casters have the same difficulty in their specialty.

Matt

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah... good. I'm glad it's so difficult for rude
wizzards like yourself! </gesture>

I've seen many a high (anonymous so I don't know how high) lvl spell
slinger farm BBC's, PGT's, SBH's, Screaming mace's... you name it.
It's somewhat satisfying to know that ultimatley *they* will require
massive assistance from all of those melee classes that have been
screwed over if they want their best spell.

disclaimer:
I realize most spell casters *do not* farm the rare equipment, but
unfortunatley there's always a few that ruin it for everyone. And I
agree that a buyable, though less powerfull, alternative to Ice Comet
should be availible; eathier through easier research components, or
buyable.

Matt

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:34:54 -0300, Martin Richard
<geof...@is2.dal.ca> wrote:

>Dear supreme idiot:
>
>Obtain two swords of Ykesha and one haste sash-these are both doable with 1-2
>parties in their 40s-you can now outdamage a l50 wizard. Obtain runes of
>astral and frost, have sufficient skill to combine them, be the one in the
>group of 40+ who gets the rune, succeed or you have to wait another month for
>another chance. Yes very fair. You have no clue how annoying research is-how
>would you feel if you camped the partso on your swords with a group of 40 that
>included other people who wanted it too, when do you think your turn will
>come-that you needed a forging skill that could only be increased if you had
>the right metals in the right combination and these metals were so rare that it
>would take you months to increase your skill to sufficient level that you could
>do them (assuming you find the right metals in the right combinations). So in
>short please get a life. You don't have a clue how annoying research is-until
>youve done it. In wizards case, its worse because almost all the researched
>spells are either buyable or AE spells. Its doubly aggravation because shamans
>and druids can buy all their fricking spells.

Sophist

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
In article <3793a72e...@news.calinet.com>, mcal...@fix.net
says...

> disclaimer:
> I realize most spell casters *do not* farm the rare equipment, but
> unfortunatley there's always a few that ruin it for everyone. And I
> agree that a buyable, though less powerfull, alternative to Ice Comet
> should be availible; eathier through easier research components, or
> buyable.
>

> Matt

I think that's the middle ground that most Wizards are after. And it
seems a reasonable one. Being limited to one DD spell at the top end
of the scale is a bit odd to begin with. Being limited to one
virtually unobtainable DD spell at the top end of the scale is a bit
unbalancing.

I too like the idea of one or two spells for the level that do less
damage than Ice Comet but still deal more damage than all other
classes DD's at that level, if only by a marginal amount.

Sophist

Jeffrey Lin

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
Martin,

I think from level 25 on, all good weapon/armor are being camped by 1 or more group
at any time, not counting the kill stealers/farmers that comes up. Plus, for most
melee (and hybrids) our fighting skills caps at around 200, some at 150. That
means, they don't get any improvement short of getting better equipment.

I feel for you that shamans and druids gets all their spells, and I don't think
that is right either. I think Verdant should change it that 100% of all spells
above level 30 be researchable only, and increase all spell effectiveness by
150%. After all, its suppose to be more difficult to play and you should have to
pay for your powers. It would bring diversity to the pure spell casters as not
every druid at X level got exactly the same spells. Just like not every paladin at
level 40 got a Soulfire. You have to WORK to get it.

By the way, Everyone and his brother wants a sword of Ykesha. I don't know how
you can convince your group to give you two. )

James M. O'Hara

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
I think this guy's complaining a little too much though.. what does he
have to research, one spell? Necros have to research nearly *ALL* their
spells above lvl 20... now that's a pain in the ass.

Shonn Stanley

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
Being a Necro, I agree here. :) However, I think it is worse for
Necros. We have to research a "bread and butter" spell from level 29
on, out pet. We live and die by our pet. Yes I understand they
probably did this to make us group, but even then, groups want the pet.
I grouped with a shaman and ranger of the same level and both still
wanted the pet around. Which was fine and it saved us a couple times
when we got jumped by multiple mobs. I can't imagine trying to do that
at level 44 with a pet 16 to 20 levels behind you, he is nothing more
than a speed bump at that point. The thing I find funny, people bitch
and there being no quests for their class, Verant adds a quest for Wizs
and they bitch about that now. They are in a lose lose situation.

jaro...@my-deja.com

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
To calm your fears its not true. Go to www.notcrazy.com there Geoffrey
Z. talks about the rune and such. He says its found randomly on level
49+ MOBS. Its just more common on Nafgen. So with some work you can
have it before the big fight. If your research is high enough...

Although, from what I've heard Nafgen resists all magics and is
bascially a buffed tank fight.

Good luck
-JimR

In article <7miob1$894$1...@news.bezeqint.net>,

------
> ----
> Amir Ben-Kiki

Martin Richard

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
Dear supreme idiot:

I also forgot to mention-how come no opinion on wis-based casters? Hmm, great
well-thought out argument you nob. Btw, I don't know casters on your server
(silent prayer that your not on mine), but I've camped more armour/weapons than
I've ever gotten in return for runes or equipment (almost all items/runes
obtained in solo). And you still didn't respond to the fact that armour and
weapons are many orders of magnitude easier to get than spells. And jeez you
jerk, most casters support warrior improvements-find me a caster who doesn't
want the guy protecting him to have more hps and better survivability-i think
the only ones who want to nix warriors, would be an idiot like you playing a
caster:p.

PS: another silent prayer-may all wizard evacuation spells leave you behind to
die a painful death (no doubt in an area where they were helping you camp
weapons/armour/misc. items)

Matt wrote:

> Here here! I for one am glad that the magic users must also have as
> difficult a time obtaining their high level spell components as the
> melee classes do obtaining their weapons and armour. I've seen many a
> spell slinger blast a magic weapon wielding NPC out from under a
> warrior and then take and sell the weapon; it's only fair that the
> mages feel what it's like to have a tough time obtaining the powerfull
> *rare* spells just like *rare* weapons/armour.
>
> Matt
> mcal...@fix.net

Martin Richard

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
hehe you mentioned my point exactly-if you get your research high enough. I
now spend my time getting runes and money, I estimate i need another 300
l30s runes (since in their infinite wisdom verant didn't add l44 wiz
researched spells we have to jump from 39 to 49) and 30K plat to pay for
using 120+ practice points to increase the skill. The most annoying thing
about runes is that they are never dropped in the right combinations-i have
like 15 runes of helix karana etc and no runes of conception:(

Martin Richard

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
Dear Jeff:

eek-i think both our l50 warriors have tow and our l45 has one. -Im sorry you didn't
get more than one:( If you were in our 2 groups of people we would.

Jeffrey Lin wrote:

> Martin,
>
> I think from level 25 on, all good weapon/armor are being camped by 1 or more group
> at any time, not counting the kill stealers/farmers that comes up. Plus, for most
> melee (and hybrids) our fighting skills caps at around 200, some at 150. That
> means, they don't get any improvement short of getting better equipment.
>
> I feel for you that shamans and druids gets all their spells, and I don't think
> that is right either. I think Verdant should change it that 100% of all spells
> above level 30 be researchable only, and increase all spell effectiveness by
> 150%. After all, its suppose to be more difficult to play and you should have to
> pay for your powers. It would bring diversity to the pure spell casters as not
> every druid at X level got exactly the same spells. Just like not every paladin at
> level 40 got a Soulfire. You have to WORK to get it.
>
> By the way, Everyone and his brother wants a sword of Ykesha. I don't know how
> you can convince your group to give you two. )

Martin Richard

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
Dear necros-I feel for you too, what person who actually does research would wish it on
anybody? And the reason we are complaining only about one spell is that the other
researched spells are our useless AE spells-so who cares about them anyway. (our spell
list is very limited:( ). My point was that research is too difficult for all casters.
I just used wizards as an example because that is the class im familiar with.

James M. O'Hara wrote:

> I think this guy's complaining a little too much though.. what does he
> have to research, one spell? Necros have to research nearly *ALL* their
> spells above lvl 20... now that's a pain in the ass.

Jeffrey Lin

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99

Martin Richard wrote:

> eek-i think both our l50 warriors have tow and our l45 has one. -Im sorry you didn't
> get more than one:( If you were in our 2 groups of people we would.

Wow that would be nice ) As to Ice Comets, If I were a wizard I would go by a different
approach: Instead of asking them to make Ice Comet easier to get, ask them nicely to
make Ice Comet more powerful. Since there are so few wizards that would actually get the
spell, I don't think it would unbalance the world too much if it does 1500 damage instead
of the current 1200(heh)

Just a thought.

Martin Richard

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
hehe yeah-but...

People would complain even more about L50 wizard whinings

JD Thorne

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
>I also forgot to mention-how come no opinion on wis-based casters? Hmm,
>great
>well-thought out argument you nob. Btw, I don't know casters on your server
>(silent prayer that your not on mine), but I've camped more armour/weapons
>than
>I've ever gotten in return for runes or equipment (almost all items/runes
>obtained in solo). And you still didn't respond to the fact that armour and
>weapons are many orders of magnitude easier to get than spells. And jeez you
>jerk, most casters support warrior improvements-find me a caster who doesn't
>want the guy protecting him to have more hps and better survivability-i think
>the only ones who want to nix warriors, would be an idiot like you playing a
>caster:p.
>
>PS: another silent prayer-may all wizard evacuation spells leave you behind
>die a painful death (no doubt in an area where they were helping you camp
>weapons/armour/misc. items)

I for one would prefer you not argue for us wizards, you're making us look bad.
Get a grip.

deo...@my-deja.com

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
"Amir B.K" <yb...@isdn.net.il> wrote:
> How lovely! you need to kill nagafen to get the
components to research the
> ice comet spell... he he. I allways thought
that Ice comet is something that
> you'd like BEFORE you go against nagafen...

If the component to the most powerful DD spell in
the game is on Nagafen, then what in the hell is
on some of the crazy shit on the alternate
Planes, particularly the elder god Cazic-Thule?
The Mighty Three Handed Axe of Bend Over and Die?

Amir Ben-Kiki

Deosyne

Martin Richard

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
How could the guy not expect to be flamed for those remarks? Do casters not spend
more time getting equipment for others (i shudder to think how much rubicite I've
helped with) The facts speak for themselves it is orders of magnitude easier to get
decent weapons than it is to get researched spells. It would be ok if we had to
camp a monster for a scroll-that would be equivalent, but the way it is now it is
quite unfair. As to me not representing wizards-perhaps i went a little overboard
with the remarks (very tired of people who don't understand how annoying research
is comparing it to camping items) but at least i know there is a problem-you
obviously do not.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
But for the last time, you don't NEED to kill Lord Nagafen for that
rune. It's on many other things, like lvl 49 mobs

K. Laisathit

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
In article <MPG.11fd97c3100325c1989865@news>,

Sophist <neve...@nospam.com> wrote:

>I think that's the middle ground that most Wizards are after. And it
>seems a reasonable one. Being limited to one DD spell at the top end
>of the scale is a bit odd to begin with. Being limited to one
>virtually unobtainable DD spell at the top end of the scale is a bit
>unbalancing.

Your balance seems to rest on a very precarious ground, if the
availability of a single DD spell tips it one way or another.
Yeah, the fact that the component needed for Ice Comet must
be found in one of the several ultimate fights with the foozles
is somewhat unfair to wizards, considering that they are the
only one who suffer that setback.

FWIW, Ice Comet and its lack thereof probably affects very
few players in each server. How many level 49 wizards do you
know?

Later...

Matt

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
You sir, are not even worth arguing with. Your attacks are personal
and inflamatory. I can only conclude that you must be the foul spawn
of an Ogre and a Troll. Please tell me you play on the Karana server
so that we may duel. </gesture> This is one aspect of the game I
have yet to enjoy. And until now, have had little desire to....

Matt
mcal...@fix.net

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:37:04 -0300, Martin Richard
<geof...@is2.dal.ca> wrote:

>Dear supreme idiot:

Sophist

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
In article <7n5dl8$qte$1...@nntp1.u.washington.edu>,
kir...@u.washington.edu says...

> Your balance seems to rest on a very precarious ground, if the
> availability of a single DD spell tips it one way or another.
> Yeah, the fact that the component needed for Ice Comet must
> be found in one of the several ultimate fights with the foozles
> is somewhat unfair to wizards, considering that they are the
> only one who suffer that setback.
>
> FWIW, Ice Comet and its lack thereof probably affects very
> few players in each server. How many level 49 wizards do you
> know?
>
> Later...

Granted there are far more pressing issues before us than this one.
I certainly wouldn't argue otherwise.

Although my previous post was limited specifically to Ice Comet in
name, I don't think that's the limit of the problem. It is but one
part of the puzzle. Wizards do start to fall behind the curve as
they increase to these very high levels. In part this is because of
the Ice Comet issue. However there is throughout their repertoire a
bit of a lack of diversity and balance in what spells they get, and
when. What I mean by this is for a class that's only asset is DD
spells (AE spells are useless in game and can't be considered in any
discussion) another look needs to be taken at better balancing of
the DD spell types they receive (I.e. Fire, Cold, Magic). Moreover a
more diverse range of these spells through their levels is alos
needed.

When one looks at all the other casting classes (Mag, Ench, Nec,
Dru, Cle, Sha) we see that they range between 10-15 new spells per
set. Wizards range in the 8-10 range except for a few levels when
they get travel spells, then it increases as high as 12 max I
believe at lvl 24. When one takes this into account and combines the
fact that there exist large gaps between specific upgrades to a
specific DD spell line occur (Cold, fire, etc), you start to see
where I'm going here. As an example, Wizards get Shock of Frost at
lvl 8. They don't get another cold based DD spell until lvl 24 when
the y receive Frost Shock. Or as another example, Force Shock is the
first magic based attack available and it doesn't arrive until lvl
20 with the next upgrade coming 15-20 levels later I believe.

Without the debuffs of the Enchanters or Magicians, or the less-
resisted DoT's of the Nec's, Druids and Shaman, Wizards do depend on
a "spell for every occasion" as it were in order for their damage to
get through. Granted, they do have this at present but using the gap
is often quite wide. Using a lvl 8 spell on a lvl 23 mob just isn't
going to do you much good.

Is this a class killing issue? No, not at all and I don't believe
I've ever tried to give that impression. What it is is an aspect of
the class that does need to be looked at. Simply put Wizards should
be getting more spells per level (they get the least per level now
remember) and these spells should be DD in nature to better balance
their distribution of the various DD types. At any given time a
Wizard should have a fire, cold, etc DD spell that is no more than 7
levels below him at its origin.

Sophist

JD Thorne

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
>But for the last time, you don't NEED to kill Lord Nagafen for that
>rune. It's on many other things, like lvl 49 mobs

So what's the difference if it's Nagafen or an equally difficult creature? The
premise is the same, lots of people required, major effort, how to share, etc.

Martin Richard

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Arguing with? You have yet to make a point-you started this thread with well some
ignoramus stole my kill with my weapon-down with wizards; im so glad there class
got screwed over. Gee look at your equipment, did you perhaps have casters help on
that??? You have yet too say anything intelligent. The facts speak for
themselves. Researched high level spells are orders and orders of magnitude harder
to get then weapons/armour and miscellaneous equipment. Wis-based casters have
access to all their spells from the get go. Have you heard any of the reports on
nagafen raids??? The 50th level wizard was only good to gate the parties out after
they finished killing nagafen-wait no he did take some lovely screenshots...

Wizards spell diversity is how should we say a little limited. They get teleport
spells which are great (but also could use improvement-in one case two gate points
(in enormous karana zones) are one minute walk). DD spells which aren't bad-but
there should a) be more of them at each level, so we have some flexibility in damage
and b) do more damage-other casters keep up too well (even if they only get new ones
every two circles-not having a pet makes life real hard in the beginning) The AE
spells are useless-people say they work in groups of wizes-sure maybe at early
levels but try taking on some guks with a l44 AE spell that does 250 damage-good way
to die. The sight line...well senir used it to take some nice pictures when he
couldn't hit nagafen for diddly. So thats it in the way of spells 2/4 categories
are useless, and the DD spells the supposed mainstay of the wizard are unattainable
at high level and lack variety throughout the levels.

I think perhaps you don't understand what a pain research is. As an example in how
poorly thought out it is-They were so unoriginal that they have multiple versions of
several rune names (how hard would it have been to think up more). Many of the
researched spell recipes are broken. There are no l44 spells to research and
research taught by guildmaster caps at 175. So basically no way to improve skill
other than improve on failures of those rare L49 runes, which I have yet to see-even
if there on other creatures but nagafen-its not like L50 monsters grow on trees.
Research is also a pain for other classes as well-necros have to research their pet
all the way to 49:( I mean comeon-necros aren't really a grouping class, so they
effectively took out their ability to solo at high levels too? I suspect there is a
reason why there are 100s of necros in their 20s but very few high level ones.

Look Im sorry if you got offended, but if you post a poorly-thought out statement in
which you have very little information, chances are rather good you're going to get
flamed. Im sorry if some bastard keeps nuking your kills and selling the weapons.
I think kill stealing is abominous. If that happens the player should be
reprimanded, not the class nerfed. And unfortunately, no, I do not play on Karana.

Bruce Z. Lysik

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
*PLONK*

Don't change the subject line. It's not nice.

--
Bruce Z. Lysik <eld...@logrus.com> http://www.logrus.com/~eldrik
Rtheb the Monk, Master Brewer, on Rodcet Nife. "Run away! Run away!"

Drew Simonis - US Internet Support

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
I pray I never meet anyone who spends THIS much time responding to a
post about a GAME!!!!

Do people tell you to get a life alot, or do they talk to you at all?

Martin Richard wrote:

> Arguing with? You have yet to make a point-you started this thread with well some
> ignoramus stole my kill with my weapon-down with wizards; im so glad there class

<300 lines *snipped*>