A long camping report

Charles B. Naumann

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
Camping report this weeků.

Everyday I logged in this week, there were 1650 people on the server. I
wanted to get the rubies for piece of crafted armor, so I ventured to high
pass keep. There were 28 people there. I gotthe rubies, and met up with
some friends. We decided to explore the keep a bit. Down in the basement,
we found all 28 people arranged checkerboard style. We talked to a dwarf
for a while, and then I noticed the pattern. Every spawn point had one
camper. A goblin would pop up, the caper would dispatch it. No room for
even one more camper. It you have not been to High Pass keep, it is an
interesting place. In one zone, you can bind, there is a bank, there are
merchants, and there are 20 th level goblins. And there are campersů. We
left, and spent an hour whacking aviaks with 45 other people. I got a rude
comment on my crafted armor piece and my level, so I went anon. I hit
level 25, so I left to town to train Riposte. By the time I got to qeynos,
it was late so I logged.

Friday night I log back in qeynos. Funny, after this many 100's of hours
of gameplay, I should no my way around. Ran around in circles for several
minutes trying to find north qeynos. Funny thing is that a level 23 dwarf
asked me directions! At least I am not the only one. I finally found the
little passage that I kept overlooking, found the dwarf and went to the
outside gates of qeynos. By this time, I had exchanged Tells with several
friends and we played a rendezvous at the aviak Village. I shouted that I
needed a SoW and would pay well (I usually pay 1pp). No takers on the SoW.
I did get a few tells from some newbies that were whacking bats. They knew
me from other characters. I did a few whos, and did not come up with
single druid or shaman in North Qeynos. Several high level shamans ran by
me, I tried to flag them down but they did not stop. By this time, all me
friends were at the rendezvous point. The leader had been in qeynos
earlier, so I was grouped with them and could talk. I started off on foot.

Near the entrance to west karana, I spied a 21 level druid. We chatted a
bit, and I asked for SoW. He cast it on me and a paid him the plat. Hit
the zone, started loading, BOUNCE, more loading, back in qeynos hills. I
walked to the left side of the zone entrance and tried again, more
sowed me asked some questions about the armor, and we chatted as I ran
through the west karanas. A nice way to pass the time. Finally, I reached
the North Karana border and zoned. The druid asked what I was up to. I
told him I was meeting friends at the Aviak village and asked if he wanted
to join us. I never got a reply. Oh well. I started the south leg of the
run. I hit the /. Eighty people in the zone! Yiikes! Things are not going
well for my friends at the village. Seems most of the aviaks were already
dead.

After I arrived at the aviak village, be started looking for a harrier or
and avocet. Nothing. More Nothing.
A shaman asked he could group with us, so we took him in. Still nothing.
Finally, we managed to snag a wandering Avocet, and dispatched him all to
fast. We talked about going somewhere else. Rathe Mountains maybe? I
suggested that we all start new characters. Guk was suggested. I said
there was no place to bind anywhere near Guk. The magician said I could
bind in the Troll City (Grobb?) I told him that while trolls liked
barbarians, and think we are good eating, that was not my idea of having a
good time. He said I could just go inviso and walk out of the city. I
start to wonder what drugs he may be takingů

Finally, we decide to go to Najeana. Only one of us had ever been there.
We teleport to Nerinak, and high-tailed it to the lavastorm zone. Soon, we
were in Najeana. Twenty eight people in the zone! Not too bad. We wandered
around and conned stuff. Almost everything was green. A mist elemental
attacks the shaman, and we dispatch it. We find an Ogre Guard. He is blue
to me, and we dispatch it as well. So far we have seen two other players.
We get down to the room where the Jboots spawn. Hehe! We found the other
20 players! Well, my three hours are abot up and I am falling asleep. The
other want to stay on a bit, so I wander to the zone exit and log.

Saturday night, there are over 1650 on the server when I log in. I decide
that I should do some exploring, on my own if I have to. Following some
lead that were posted here, I decide to give the ocean of tears a try. I
start to make my way to the Freeport docks. I meet up with a friends, and
he says he is game for some exploring too. We wait for the boat. We wait
some more. We wait some more. Finally, the boat arrives and we are under
way. We zone on the boat, and get off on Erollisi Island. I walk around
the island and try to check on the inside of the huts, the only problem is
the my fat barbarian ass will not fit in to any of those huts. I was
hoping to find a row boat to with exploring. The zone is huge, and I there
are many things I do not know about swimming very long distances. (For
example, if your stamina goes to zero, are you at risk of drowning. The
other problem is that the zone is so big, it would be very easy to get
completely lost and not find land for some time). No row boat. My friends
starts to send me tells asking what we are doing. The concept of exploring
seems to be new to him. I explain that I really do not know what we are
going to hunt, that we will have to find it. Then he sends me a tell to
get back on the boat.

Knowing that the boat will pull out any minute, I get on the boat and then
ask questions. Than he tells me that a friends has lost her body in the
Ocean of Tears and is upset about it and needs help finding it. I ask him
where she lost the body. "By the dock level with the water." "How did she
die?" "Drowned" "why didn't she get out of the water?" "She couldn't." OK,
I am clueless here. I have no clue as to how he thinks he is going to help
her (he is a cleric and has no way of tracking bodies), nor do I really
care. We zone to butcher block and I get off the boat. He gets back on the
boat and says he will catch up with me later. I am standing on shore
wondering why we left the Ocean of Tears in the first place, when the
object of his quest is to help someone find her body in the ocean of
tears, AND WE WERE JUST THERE. Two is company three is a crowd? Oh
brother! That couldn't be it! We were grouped, and he is still sending me
group tells. He is also the leader. He says he has met up with her and
they are looking. Funny, he does not add her to the group listů Ugh! I was
right!

I set off to explore the butcher-block mountains and the Dwarf City. I
explore the city for an hour or so and then log off due to motion
sickness.

To say my interest in the game is waning is an understatement.

Charles Naumann

Bondi Mail

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
Its sounds like your friend was the problem not the game.

Charles B. Naumann <cnau...@HiWAAY.net> wrote in message
> Camping report this week..

> Everyday I logged in this week, there were 1650 people on the server. I
> wanted to get the rubies for piece of crafted armor, so I ventured to high
> pass keep. There were 28 people there. I gotthe rubies, and met up with
> some friends. We decided to explore the keep a bit. Down in the basement,
> we found all 28 people arranged checkerboard style. We talked to a dwarf
> for a while, and then I noticed the pattern. Every spawn point had one
> camper. A goblin would pop up, the caper would dispatch it. No room for
> even one more camper. It you have not been to High Pass keep, it is an
> interesting place. In one zone, you can bind, there is a bank, there are

> merchants, and there are 20 th level goblins. And there are campers.. We

> start to wonder what drugs he may be taking.

> they are looking. Funny, he does not add her to the group list. Ugh! I was

kiljaden

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
You should do a little exploring on the Faydwer continent you are currently
on, there are many interesting places for your level to hunt, well, two
actually. Mistmoore Castle and the Estate of Unrest might be of some
interest to you.

Good luck on your travels.

-Kiljaden

Charles B. Naumann

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
Ben Sisson <buc...@home.com> wrote:

: Incidently you don't drown if your stamina goes to 0, you just get
: slower, and there SHOULD have been a canoe on Erollisi. Presumably
: someone had taken it when you got there, but even then I'm sure another
: one appears after a time.

Thanks for this info!

Charles Naumann

Ben Sisson

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
"Charles B. Naumann" wrote:

He gets back on the
> boat and says he will catch up with me later. I am standing on shore
> wondering why we left the Ocean of Tears in the first place, when the
> object of his quest is to help someone find her body in the ocean of
> tears, AND WE WERE JUST THERE. Two is company three is a crowd? Oh
> brother! That couldn't be it! We were grouped, and he is still sending me
> group tells. He is also the leader. He says he has met up with her and
> they are looking. Funny, he does not add her to the group list… Ugh! I was
> right!

Actually, there could be a reason for this. Since the second boat was
put in the paths the boats take are now different. Coming from
Butcherblock the boat stops at Zechariah's island but not Erollisi
(sp?), and the other way around from Freeport.

If this girl who's missing her body was dead near Zech's island, it
would be faster to zone to Butcherblock and come back that was then to
try to guess when to jump off a moving boat somewhere near the
Butcherblock zone border, unless you know the zone very well or have
/locs for Zech's island.

--
Ben Sisson (a.k.a Vervain of Brell Serilis)

- Audentes Fortuna Juvat -
- Laurus an Letum -
- Articulus Iacio Alea -

Joe Liu

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Charles,

Goto Cazic, there is good exp. and very exciting for you. Maybe you can loot
some rubic while taking turns in TR.

But take care the Bouncer at Feerott :)

Joe

Twilight

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
<snip>

you dont drown when yer stamina goes to zero. But sow doesnt work
either... fastest ppl to travel with over water are high lvl bards and
shamens. ( levitate and speed)

from your point its not gonna improve anywhere except the really ,
really marginal dungeons . Your problem is like everyone elses.Its too
crowded. Unrest at 1500 plus ppl will have anything from 30 -90 ppl..i
am dead seriuos. Mistmoor will start to rise alot very quickly too.
Kedge keep..well kedge keep is deserted mainly there arent many things
there ( plus theres a bug( or feature) which means the mobs dont drop
anything....) also not every ones a druid or ranger or bard...( yet )

so in the end you have 2 choices. slug it out till they release say
half a dozen more zones or log in at a lesser frequented time..

"I can picture in my mind a world without war , a world without hate . And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it. " -Jack Handey

Charles B. Naumann

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Thanks for responding. I have hunted both at Mistmoore and Unrest.
Unrest typically packs in 80+ people. While I have hunted with some
success there (and the loot is unbelievable), the crowding is a
problem.

The same is true of Mistmoore. Several weeks ago when I first ventured
into the courtyard, the typical population of the zone was under 20.
It is now typically running 40+. At my level I can handle (in a group)
the courtyard or the graveyard, but not much else. This zone also
suffers from train-from-Hell syndrome. At one time I though across the
lake with my back to the wall was safe from trains, well, I was wrong...

I am sorry that this response is so pessimistic, I do thank you for
taking time to write.

Charles Naumann

kiljaden <juci...@geocities.com> wrote:
: You should do a little exploring on the Faydwer continent you are currently

Charles B. Naumann

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Thanks! Cazic is on my list for this week.

Charles Naumann

Joe Liu <liu...@usa.net> wrote:
: Charles,

: Goto Cazic, there is good exp. and very exciting for you. Maybe you can loot
: some rubic while taking turns in TR.

Zandar - of Bristlebane

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
You guys are all forgetting The best dungon in the game (IMHO)
Permafrost. It is so much fun fighting you way into there and out of
there it is how dungons should be. We olny have to sit to rest, other
wise you can fight until your hearts content. There is little to no
camping there (I have not seen any) the loot is good, and the gobs are
tuff. I have been in a group of 6 there was another group near us of
4-6 someone pulled about 15-20 gobs (Level 19-23) and by the end of
the fight only 1 player was slain.

Zandar - of Bristlebane

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Oops I forgot the most important thing, even at peek times (1650 on
Bristlebane) the most i ever saw at one time is around 20-30. The
spawn rate is fast so there is always something.

Enlightened

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Actually that is my plan anyway, since I am playing a warrior. It really
must be a cruel joke! I had a great time last night. I mean I found a
uncamped monster that gave exp!(please dont ask where, I will never tell!).
Too bad I couldn't catch up to monster to finish it off!(tried to catch for
2 minutes, no lie, just chasing all over the zone).Then after I sat for 20
minutes to heal. Group you say?OK. sure I like groups. Too bad noone will
group with a warrior. I know I dont have a bad name, since I been offline
for awhile. Also I only had 2 hours to play.
So I say
FUCK THIS GAME!
leave it to the power gamers.
please respond with any info on AC:)

Charles B. Naumann

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
On Tarew Marr, the Permafrost population varies quite a bit. Some nights
there will be 30+ people there, some nights my group will be it.
I am not that wild about permafrost, It is a major train station.

Charles Naumann

Zandar - of Bristlebane <ruta...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Oops I forgot the most important thing, even at peek times (1650 on

Brian Cully

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
In article <379ca92c...@news.erols.com>,

Zandar - of Bristlebane <ruta...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Permafrost is indeed a fine dungeon. I spent a little time at the
entrance up to the flag room when I was 18-20. At 21 I delved in
a bit deeper, to the archeologist room and preacher room, and
happily spent four levels in that general area. The dungeon is HUGE
with lots of stuff for 20-30, and that's only in the parts I've
been in, there's lots lots more.

The only reason I left is that after being there for three weeks
straight I've become pretty sick of goblins. I'll probably head
back when I get back from vacation.

Archi Tuttle
Monk at Large
Innoruuk