Scimitar - The weapon of choice for a Druid?

Warlow

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Is there any truth to this?

Dan Harmon

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
My low-level druid is using a FS Scim and enjoying it. Unfortunately, when
I /t'd a high-level druid (38, I believe), they said that their weapon of
choice was the Staff of Discord (or something like that...I don't pay too
much attention to folks months & months higher than me), which is a 2hB. I
had also been keeping my 1hB up to date until then using a cracked staff,
but now I'm thinking about getting my 2hB up.

I have yet to hear about a magical scim. I'm assuming they're out there,
but if not, then Scim is probably a really bad idea to keep using.

Warlow <th...@gtpd.com> wrote in message

IIIGEEIII

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
>Is there any truth to this?

The Obscidian Scimitar, and the Oaken Scimitar.

nuff said.

GEE
Mandrik Pathfinder, 32nd lvl Wood Elf Ranger on Karana

X-Caliber

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
There are several magic scimitars a Druid can use,
and in fact it is the only 1H edged weapon a Druid
can wield...
One of note is the Druid only Oaken Scimitar, which
gives +9 Wisdom

Ben Pocock

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
On 12 Jul 1999 17:36:03 GMT, iiig...@aol.comGEE (IIIGEEIII) wrote:

>>Is there any truth to this?
>

>The Obscidian Scimitar, and the Oaken Scimitar.

The Oaken Scimitar hasn't been confirmed to exist. No one has stepped
forth as saying the own it and has been verfied in having it.
Ben Pocock
bpo...@golden.net
http://www.golden.net/~bpocock

Ian Fan

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
The Obsidian Scimitar and Silverish Scimitar have pathetic stats for the
level required to get them. And as for the Oaken, it was taken out in the
beta, no one has yet to find one - all screen shots of it on spoiler sites
are beta pics.
Stick with a 1HB so that some day you might get a Charred Guardian Sheild
(+9wis) and a Gem Encrusted Sceptre (+5wis). Or a plain old obs staff.

Wwen Delian

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
>The Oaken Scimitar hasn't been confirmed to exist. No one has stepped
>forth as saying the own it and has been verfied in having it.

I had a chat with a senior GM on Innoruuk (Sephrena for those who know her) and
she said yes the oaken scimitar is in the game and attainable it's just really
really rare. I begged for a location but no luck. ;)

"A chicken with its neck wrung is different from a chicken with its head cut
off, but does it matter to the chicken?" Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Nigel Tzeng

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
I'm lvl 28 and still use my trusty Combine Scim. I've recently
switched to my FS Warhammer to bring my 1-h blunt up a little.

What you decide to use is pretty much up to you. I like AC so I stick
with 1-h weapons. Some people like large damage numbers so they go
with 2-h blunt.

The folks that went with the 2HB route are shooting for Staff of the
Observers. A reasonably straightforward item to get...gives good
damage for the rare times you melee and has decent mana boosters. An
early 2-h blunt is the Runed Totem Staff. Easy to get and pretty
nice. Other 2-h blunts that are nice are out there.

The 1HS folks are going for an oaken scimitar...an item that grants +9
wis (but no one has yet found) and a charred guardian shield (+9 wis).
There are some nice 1HS slash weapons for druids...but they tend to be
in places that require 30+ characters to get or exist on rare spawns
in the Karanas. You'll be using a combine scim for a looong time
until you find a silverish or obsidian scim. You probably will never
see the oaken scim...no one has a post-beta screen snap of one.

The 1HB folks are probably going for a jewel encrusted scepter which
also has nice wisdom bonuses and a shield of some sort. Folks who go
this route tend to carry a Screaming Mace until they find something
like the scepter. The mace does a lot better than a combine scim.

There are some nice shields out there so I'm sticking with 1-h and
letting my 2-h skills atrophy.

A more important decision for a druid is which armor route they are
going...you can go either AC or go for wisdom. I've heard that doing
a mixed approach isn't as good as shooting for one extreme or another.
Right now I'm shooting for Wisdom over AC since my regular party as a
couple of clerics that like melee...so I tend to go the nuke route.
As near as I can tell most druids go the Wisdom route.

A few other druids have gone the AC route to either mini-tank or for
fewer spell interruptions. For this path I recommend getting AC and
any agility items you can find. I find with my shield I get hit less
often and get more spells off against white or blue mobs. Yellow and
Red mobs seem to hit me pretty well regardless ;)

The AC/Agility route might be the way to go. It all depends on how
much mana you lose from spell interruptions vs the gains from wisdom
enhancers. Have to test that out someday.

If you intend to kite your way to 50 then I recommend as many wisdom
enhancers as you can find. You shouldn't be getting hit and having an
extra spell at the end may mean the difference between victory and
zoning.

Nigel

PS Check out EQDruids...theres a link to it from the EQ site.

Warlow

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
I'm more curious as to whether the 'bonus' of using a shield for the added
AC WITH a magic weapon is better as opposed to just a 2H Blunt (Magic) would
be a factor. I guess I could do both.

--
Warlow lvl 1 Druid
Rivervale - Quellious

Ben Pocock

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
On 12 Jul 1999 18:57:30 GMT, in alt.games.everquest you wrote:

>>The Oaken Scimitar hasn't been confirmed to exist. No one has stepped
>>forth as saying the own it and has been verfied in having it.

>I had a chat with a senior GM on Innoruuk (Sephrena for those who know her) and
>she said yes the oaken scimitar is in the game and attainable it's just really
>really rare. I begged for a location but no luck. ;)

I don't want to say to much about this. So far, after about 3 months
of play, no one has it. Personally, I don't take what GMs say too
seriously.

Infact, I don't even take the designers too seriously. I was reading
up on EQVault or somewhere on an editorial about Druids by the person
who designed them. He said Druids have the second best DD spells next
to wizards. Of course, the person who designed the mages (GZ) has
stated the same thing about magicians.

The only fact that is even plausable at this point is that NO
character has the oaken scimitar. So, as the header stated, what is
the weapon of choice for a Druid? Personally, to say 1h slash because
there is the Oaken Scimitar out there is rather bad advice, IMHO.

Steven Le

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
On 12 Jul 1999 17:36:03 GMT, iiig...@aol.comGEE (IIIGEEIII) wrote:

>>Is there any truth to this?

And they look cool, I just gave a tranished scimitar to one of my
friends, halfelf bard lvl 4.

I also made a full set of patchwork for him, weeeee now I have 1 skill
in talioring.

>The Obscidian Scimitar, and the Oaken Scimitar.

Zifeer

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
I favour the 2h blunt myself, the Worn Great Staffs are two a penny and
everywhere, doing good damage. The delay can be a problem, but only if you
are trying to tank. Backed up with a few good DD and DoT spells it works
well, also it keeps your options open for some of the nicer 2h blunt
specials, Ruined Totem Staff, Staff of the Observers and the like. I think
the 1h slash only for scimitar is a bit of a waste of time really, (Unless
of course the Oaken Scimitar does exist :) ) and the 1h blunt, while
quicker, suffers from not doing enough damage per hit on average.

Zifeer of Rallos Zek
Druid of Faydark

George Gdowski, Jr

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
well yes... if the "oaken" Schimitar was in the game!!! but its not and
nothing else has been found. So, as of now you'll get more benefits from
using other weapons.. RTS, Observers Staf, Screaming Mace, Sceptre of
Rahotep, Sceptre of Flame.... I never realized how important it is to be
skillful in most or all of your weapons types available to your class. I
strictly used a RTS until I bored of it and got a chance to get a screaming
mace.. it took me forever to bring that one hand blunt skill at 21st lvl +..
at 27th lvl its finally at "good"

The Edge

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99

George Gdowski, Jr <ggdo...@optonline.net> a écrit dans le message :
_lJi3.9360$sc.19...@news.optonline.net...

> well yes... if the "oaken" Schimitar was in the game!!! but its not and
> nothing else has been found. So, as of now you'll get more benefits from
> using other weapons.. RTS, Observers Staf, Screaming Mace, Sceptre of
> Rahotep, Sceptre of Flame.... I never realized how important it is to be
> skillful in most or all of your weapons types available to your class. I
> strictly used a RTS until I bored of it and got a chance to get a
screaming
> mace.. it took me forever to bring that one hand blunt skill at 21st lvl
+..
> at 27th lvl its finally at "good"

Oh, you don't have it - so it's not in the game? No one's posted on this
newsgroup or any spoiler sites that they have it, so it's not in the game?
No one's seen it, so it's not in the game?

Might it be a quest item that no one has because they've been too busy
levelling to talk to NPC's? Might it be something other than a rare load on
a rare NPC? Unless you took it out of the game yourself, stop telling me
it's not.

Nullo

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Almost as nice is the "Obsidian Scimitar" that is 7/27 with +7 agility

Nullo

The Edge <jwe...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

Brian Hance

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:29:37 -0400, "Nullo"
<skyli...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Almost as nice is the "Obsidian Scimitar" that is 7/27 with +7 agility

Where do I go and who do I kill to get this?

---
Brian Hance bha...@primenet.com
"You know the information superhighway," I said. "Where they spent
twenty billion dollars so millions of people could wind up endlessly
debating who was the better STAR TREK captain?"
Kinky Friedman from THE LOVE SONG OF J. EDGAR HOOVER

Nigel Tzeng

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:14:33 -0400, "The Edge" <jwe...@email.msn.com>
wrote:

>Oh, you don't have it - so it's not in the game? No one's posted on this
>newsgroup or any spoiler sites that they have it, so it's not in the game?
>No one's seen it, so it's not in the game?

>Might it be a quest item that no one has because they've been too busy
>levelling to talk to NPC's? Might it be something other than a rare load on
>a rare NPC? Unless you took it out of the game yourself, stop telling me
>it's not.

Heh...if it's so rare that no one has one that wasn't given to them by
a GM during beta it's as good as "doesn't exist".

In any case, I wouldn't plan on having an oaken scimitar since I know
several high level druids looking for the damn thing without success.

Yah, they're trying to do quests too "Edge". If there's a quest for
it, then it is currently broken. And once you're 50 you aren't too
busy leveling anymore, now are you?

So show us one...then we'll tell you its in the game. Otherwise, it's
just another mythical item that doesn't really exist anymore.

Nigel