Questions about pets

Michael (McMike)

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
Can someone please tell me a bit about pets?

1) Can you give them weapons/armor?
2) Do they level up?
3) What happens to them when you change zones?
4) Do they die when you camp? What about weapons, etc you gave them?
5) Should you only summon them if you need them or always?

Just some more info in general would be nice. Thanks

Michael (McMike)

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
One more: What's the difference between elemntalkin and elemental?

Michael (McMike) <McMi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Neuriot

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99

> One more: What's the difference between elemntalkin and elemental?

A elemental is the stronger version of a Magicians pet. I think it's the
8th level version while the kin is the 4th level version.

> 1) Can you give them weapons/armor?
> 2) Do they level up?
> 3) What happens to them when you change zones?
> 4) Do they die when you camp? What about weapons, etc you gave them?
> 5) Should you only summon them if you need them or always?
>
> Just some more info in general would be nice. Thanks

1) Necro pets can recieve weapons. Mages pets cannot. (If your necro pet
dies while holding a weapon, it's gone. Beware)
2) No
3) They disapeer and you'll have to respend mana and summoning costs.
Malachite for mages.
4) They do die when you camp.
5) With a summoning cost of only a few silver, I tend to always have mine
except for in some dungeons. They are to useful to skimp.

Neuriot

Michael (McMike)

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
But I saw an air elemental with a sword and shield. Isn't air a mage pet?

Neuriot <Neu...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

Pudgeman

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
I think what you saw was an enchanters pet(invisible with only sword and
shield seen) these are not mage pets the air elm we get is better ;)

pudgeman

Michael (McMike) <McMi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

James M. O'Hara

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99

"Michael (McMike)" wrote:

> Can someone please tell me a bit about pets?
>

> 1) Can you give them weapons/armor?

Yes.

> 2) Do they level up?

No.

> 3) What happens to them when you change zones?

They commit suicide.

> 4) Do they die when you camp? What about weapons, etc you gave them?

They die, all the shit you gave them is lost.

> 5) Should you only summon them if you need them or always?

They're always helpful- just make sure they don't get the last hit.

--
Rithal
Gnome Necromancer on Povar

James M. O'Hara

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
The different ranks of magician pets have different names- like lvl 4
pet vs. lvl 9.. or 8 I dunno heheh

"Michael (McMike)" wrote:

> One more: What's the difference between elemntalkin and elemental?

Dan Harmon

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
everquest.gamestat.com has links to a few mage sites. Check 'em out! :)

I'll provide the answers as I know them, but you really need to check out
the sites.

Michael (McMike) <McMi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Can someone please tell me a bit about pets?
>
> 1) Can you give them weapons/armor?

No. (someone else already mentioned enchanters)

> 2) Do they level up?

No. You get new pets every 4 levels, so they'll get stronger at that time.

> 3) What happens to them when you change zones?

They commit suicide.

> 4) Do they die when you camp? What about weapons, etc you gave them?

Yes, and n/a.

> 5) Should you only summon them if you need them or always?

You should only summon them if you intend to live through a fight. Once you
get to lvl 4 (or perhaps a lvl higher), you will die if you solo (go without
a pet).

Pets also commit suicide if you go invisible. Inivisibility is a great tool
if you're travelling, but sucks when it comes to battle strategy (beyond
using it to get TO the battle area).

If you gate to another part of the zone, the pet will try to make its way to
you. If you're far from it, and don't feel like waiting for it, go invis
(to get it to suicide). You can't summon another pet until the last one no
longer exists. Why would you even consider gating away from your pet? To
stay alive, is the best bet. If your pet has multiple critters on it and
you're pretty darned sure he won't survive, gate the hell outta there. :)

Xenomorph

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
Air Elementals can NOT hold a sword or shield.

An Enchanter "animation" is a floating sword and shield.

Mage pets have no weapon and can use no weapon.

Necro pets dont have weapons, but will use them if you give them one.

Enchanter pets are just animated swords. they can not control their "pet"
though.

--

-=[xeno...@darkcastle.com]=-

ICQ #: 1372712
AoL/AiM: Silicon18
http://xeno.w3.to (web cam)
http://xenomorph.net (main site)
xenom...@hotmail.com (at work mail)
http://xeno.messages.to (message forums)
"Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?"

Xenomorph

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
They are different "ranks" of pets

Elementalkin (level 4?)
Elementaling (level 8?)
Elemental (level 12?)

They all look the same though. They may require different stones to cast
though.. (Malachite, Lapis Luzi, etc..)

--

-=[xeno...@darkcastle.com]=-

ICQ #: 1372712
AoL/AiM: Silicon18
http://xeno.w3.to (web cam)
http://xenomorph.net (main site)
xenom...@hotmail.com (at work mail)
http://xeno.messages.to (message forums)
"Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?"

Dan Harmon

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
(regarding magician pets)

Umm, ok, technically this is true. You CAN give your pet anything you'd
like. But if you give him anything, it's like Destroying the item...the pet
can't use anything you give him, and when the pet dies, the item is lost.

James M. O'Hara <james...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Michael (McMike)" wrote:
> >
> > Can someone please tell me a bit about pets?
> >
> > 1) Can you give them weapons/armor?

> Yes.

eqman

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
That elemental you saw is enchanter transforming to one.

Michael (McMike) wrote in message
<7o64dc$8nn$1...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>But I saw an air elemental with a sword and shield. Isn't air a mage pet?
>

>Neuriot <Neu...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Michael (McMike) <McMi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> > One more: What's the difference between elemntalkin and elemental?
>>

>> A elemental is the stronger version of a Magicians pet. I think it's the
>> 8th level version while the kin is the 4th level version.
>>

>> > 1) Can you give them weapons/armor?

>> > 2) Do they level up?

>> > 3) What happens to them when you change zones?

>> > 4) Do they die when you camp? What about weapons, etc you gave them?

>> > 5) Should you only summon them if you need them or always?
>> >

>> > Just some more info in general would be nice. Thanks

Mark Rafn

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
Michael (McMike) <McMi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>One more: What's the difference between elemntalkin and elemental?

Hit points, damage, abilities. Elementalkins are what you can get at 4th
level. Elemantalings at 8th, Elementals at 12th, etc... Every four
levels, you get spells that summon tougher pets.

>> 1) Can you give them weapons/armor?

Not for mages. Some classes have pets that can wield weapons.

>> 2) Do they level up?

No.

>> 3) What happens to them when you change zones?

They go back from where they came, just like they do when a monster hits
them enough times.

>> 4) Do they die when you camp? What about weapons, etc you gave them?

Yup. You can't give elementals weapons, so it's a moot question whether
they keep any stuff. I believe that pets that can carry stuff lose it all
when they die.

>> 5) Should you only summon them if you need them or always?

Always, if you're going to be in a fight. If you have any control over the
situation, have your favorite pet and full mana before any violence begins.
Your pet embodies about 2/3 of your combat ability if you're solo, and between
1/4 and 1/2 (depending on group makeup) otherwise. Always have your pet
before starting a fight, as you'll rarely have time to summon after combat
starts. (exception: sometimes in close quarters when you're in a group with
good tanks you'll simply do without your pet). At 4th level, when 5 silver
worth of Malachite is a real expense, I would only summon when expecting to
fight and run away from unexpected fights. Once you're getting enough
treasure that you simply always carry 20-40 malachite with you then you
should be much more liberal in having a pet around if there's any chance of
needing it.
--
Mark Rafn da...@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/> !G