Non-auto attack increases hit frequency and damage?

1 view

Lance

Apr 17, 2001, 12:49:58 PM4/17/01
Because of a different tactic I've worked up with
my cleric (see thread "cleric on the bounce) I've
spent a fair amount of time hitting the attack key
for -each- swing, instead of engaging autoattack
and leaving it on. (been sitting in between swings)

Making some comparisons, I had occaision to
stand and swing on auto... and I seemed to hit a lot
less often.

I tried hitting attack, waiting for the swing, then
turning it off till next weapon cycle before repeating,
and my hit rate went back up to high frequency.

Is this just an illusion? Did anyone else ever report
this? Want to go do some testing for me and see
if you get the same effect?

As a bonus, pursuing a fleeing mob, I hit attack
only when lined up, I get no "out of range" messages
as well as relatively few "miss" messages.

Bergh

Wes

Apr 17, 2001, 1:02:09 PM4/17/01
It seems that way to me too. I've been playing
with it a bit lately and am wondering if there is
a difference.

none

Apr 17, 2001, 1:29:57 PM4/17/01
Just curious... Why is a Cleric, Swinging a weapon to begin with?

"Lance" <emp...@success.net> wrote in message

Allen Bouchard

Apr 17, 2001, 1:28:43 PM4/17/01

As far as your final paragraph goes: This is becuase when you leave autoattack
on while chasing a mob, you are more often than not out of range when the swing
happens and then when you are in range you're waiting for the delay to end.
When playing my warrior, I always turn off auto and then turn it on again when
in range. Of course, my nec doesn't have to worry about this, he just lets his
pet run down the mob, pet always waits until in range before attacking it
seems.

Fedos Voice of the Spork

"God is not on the side with the largest battalions, but with the best shots."
--Voltaire

~)--| remove NOSPAM from email address to reply. abouch8282<at>aol.com

Graefaxe

Apr 17, 2001, 1:49:18 PM4/17/01

"none" <no...@nomail.com> wrote in message

> Just curious... Why is a Cleric, Swinging a weapon to begin with?

He's young. He'll learn.

Elliot Williams

Apr 17, 2001, 2:02:54 PM4/17/01

"Lance" <emp...@success.net> wrote in message

It's illusion, I have experimented with this while running every type
of combination of weapons and delays I could come across. I used the
auto attack on and off while kiting mobs with SOW and a Weighted Axe
(Nerfed!!! read the patch message!), and for one full level I never
used any other 2hs, so the numbers are pretty accurate. The miss
percentage doesn't go down, for a warrior fighting blues with a weapon
at maximum skill it is pretty consistently around 33% whether using
attack on and off or leaving it on constantly.

The issue might be clouded by the infamous streakiness of "random"
numbers in Everquest. You could have a run of 20 times where every
time you hit autoattack you never missed. A couple levels after
getting riposte, I had a run where three or four skeletons in a row
attacked me and were riposted and killed on the first swing. I thought
that maybe it was like a bonus side effect for high level warriors, so
I called a buddy over to show it off. I didn't tell him why, I just
bashed a skeleton and told him to watch. The skeleton started whacking
on me, after a couple minutes he wanted to know WTF I was wasting his
time over. Riposte, like many skills, is very streaky. I have gone
whole battles without it activating, then had it fire five times in a
single encounter.

Ardent Avenger

Apr 17, 2001, 5:05:55 PM4/17/01
Actually it's true. I've had to do that often. Being a pally probably
makes it a lot easier to see the difference but not only can you get
more attacks in, but the hits are bigger also. It usually makes my first
hit a double attack hit too.

Avenger.

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

Apr 18, 2001, 4:35:59 AM4/18/01
"none" <no...@nomail.com> writes:

> Just curious... Why is a Cleric, Swinging a weapon to begin with?

There are combat clerics as well as healers. I've seen one or two who
actually have specialized on evocation. Great undead hunters. :-)

--
SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend