Pathc Message 4th Septemeber

Adam

Sep 4, 2002, 7:02:26 AM9/4/02
September 4, 2002 3:00 am
------------------------------

Please note: there are a lot of changes going into the game with today's
patch. Some of these changes (such as the changes to resistances and spell
stacking) will change aspects of the game that may make gameplay different.
Keep this in mind when you log in. With system-wide changes like these it
is entirely possible that there are still bugs. Please report these bugs
using /bug, and know that we will work to fix them as fast as we can. But
also note that some intended changes might appear as bugs (perhaps a spell
no longer stacks with another spell). Feel free to report these as bugs if
you are unsure. But please keep in mind the changes listed here as well.

** Petitions **

- /viewpetition displays the petition you have in the queue, if any.
- /deletepetition deletes the petition you have in the queue, if any (unless
that petition is currently being viewed by CS staff).

** Keyrings **

We will be resetting all keyrings with this patch. This will mean that all
existing keys in the keyrings will be removed. You will need to place keys
back onto the keyrings. Keys are added to the keyring by using the key.
The keyring is a part of the character, not a space in inventory. To find
out what keys you have just type /key and the game will give you a list. If
you have recently deleted a key, please contact your GM for a replacement.

** Experience Changes **

- We have smoothed out level progression from 50-60. This should mitigate
the "penalty effect" that occurs in levels 51, 54 and 59. Note that it will
cost the same experience to level from 50 to 60 as it did before. Also,
death experience loss will appear different in some levels. This is an
unfortunate side effect that must remain to prevent some experience
exploits.
- We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over level
50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and for
the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you can
reasonably manage.

** Spells **

- Fixed the "You have been healed for X damage" message. It once again
reports the actual amount of damage healed.
- Added a message telling the caster when NPC can't be charmed.
- Fixed a bug with duration boosting Alternate Advancement abilities and
foci that was only allowing the first 12 buff slots to be modified as
opposed to all 15.
- Fixed a bug that was allowing focused and Alternate Advancement ability
enhanced damage spells to do more damage than they should (meaning that both
the Alternate Advancement and the Focus improve the base damage. The focus
damage was never supposed to compound with the added AA damage.)
- Enchanter spells that have a hit point component and a stun component can
now be partially resisted.
-The Enchanter "visage" series has had their recast time reduced to make
them more useful.
-Shadowknight and Necromancer Drain type spells can now be clicked off by
the recipient of the beneficial portion of the spell. For example;
Shadowknights and their group members can now click off the effects of
spells such as Torrent of Hate. While the target of spells such as
Shadowbond can click it off if they so choose.
-Torrent of Hate should no longer overwrite Call of the Predator

- Repaired some problems with Beastlord stat buffs - specifically that the
higher level ones weren't always better than the lower level ones.
- Furious Strength made available to Beastlords at Level 54
- Dexterity made available to Beastlords at Level 57
- Stamina made available to Beastlords at Level 57
- Divine aura is now available to Paladins at level 51, instead of level 55.
- Harmshield made available to Shadowknights at level 51
- Augment Death made available to Shadow Knights at Level 60
- Death Peace made available to Necromancers at level 60
- Flaming Sword of Xuzl has casting time reduced from 6 to 2.5 seconds,
recast increased from 2.5 to 60 seconds and mana cost lowered from 600 to
250.
- Unswerving Hammer of Faith has casting time reduced from 6 to 2.5 seconds,
recast increased from 2.5 to 60 seconds and mana cost lowered from 600 to
250.
-Added a new line of spells for Shadowknights, Voice of Darkness. Merchants
in Echo Caverns have been able to appropriate many of these new spells, but
Voice of Terris has so far eluded them.
-Added two new Mesmerize type spells for Bards, one at level 40, and one at
level 58. Rumor has it that Serilia Whistlewind has recovered the melody
written by Sionachie, but has been unable to locate the transcript for the
Dreams of Ayonae.
-Whispers in the taverns of Katta Castellum speak of recently discovered
Ancient melodies. Brave adventurers search far and wide for the song of the
ancient combine empire, and the Lullaby of Shadows.

- Higher level PCs will be more resistant to lower level NPCs' spells.
- Increased the number of spells that can be in effect on a given NPC to 30.

** Spell Stacking Changes **

We've made two changes to the way spells stack.

Damage Over Time (DoT) spells are spells that linger on the target doing
damage. Until today two different characters could not have the same DoT
spell on the same target. As long as one copy of the spell was active any
new version of the spell would not take hold. After today the same DoT
spell cast by different casters can affect the same target at the same time.
Also, if you cast a DoT spell on a target and you already have that spell
active on it, the spell will refresh. (Note: It will not be possible to
stack Lifeburn).

This does not allow for inferior spells to stack along with superior spells.
(Example: Two Necromancers can both land Boil Blood on the same target.
However, Heat Blood, being an inferior spell, will still not stack.)

Several DoT spells that have debuff components such as Tuyen's Chant of
Frost and Breath of Ro will not stack due to the balance issues of having
several hundred points of Resistance debuffs on a single NPC.

We've also rewritten the way that spells stack with other spells with the
same benefits (for example, to spells that give bonus hit points).
Generally speaking spells may now 'bounce' off each other (neither
overwriting the other) and stacking issues should now be easier to resolve.
In specific:

- Warder's Protection should have considerably fewer stacking and overwrite
issues. Thanks to the folks at the Ranger's Glade for all of their help in
'tracking' this down.
- Druid Damage Shields should now all stack in the correct order.
- Druid HP buffs are no longer overwriting stronger cleric HP buffs.
- Harness of Spirit and Visions of Grandeur should interact a bit more
sanely.
- Existing effects should no longer be stripped off when the incoming spell
isn't going to take hold.
- Boon of Garou and other illusions now interact the right way.
- Spells that have both group and single target versions (and no special
coding to tell them otherwise) now mutually overwrite each other.

** Resistance Changes **

We've made some fairly drastic changes to the way the spell resistance
system works. Previously, there was only the smallest benefit to having
resists over a certain value. We've reworked resistance in its entirety,
completely replacing the old system with one that is more logical.

The idea behind the changes is pretty simple: Resists should matter in a
way that makes sense.

Important things to note about the new resistance system:

- Resists matter more for PCs. There are now tangible differences between
having 50, 150, and 250 in a given resistance, for example. Resistance
buffs, bard songs, and resist gear have actual value, all the way up the
line.

- Conversely, resistances also matter more for NPCs. Some NPCs became more
vulnerable to things they have always been vulnerable to, other NPCs became
more resistant to things that they were inclined to be somewhat resistant
to.

- Resistance debuffs should also have more value, all the way up the line.
For the first time, resistance debuffs now have the ability to bring NPCs
that were lure-style only down into the range of being hit by normal spells.

- The hard level limit involving players casting on NPCs has been removed.
This used to be referred to in EQ folklore as the "Six Level Limit" (It was
actually 1.25 times the caster's level, but more people likely thought about
it the other way.) This means that in the vast majority of cases, there is
at least a small chance that a person will be able to connect a spell with
an NPC, even if they are out of that NPC's traditional level range.

- Overall, against NPCs that have medium-to-high resistances of a given
type, expect to see more full hits, fewer partials, but more full resists in
the new system. Taken over time, the damage done by PC casters to semi-high
resistance NPCs should be approximately the same, but will definitely
improve when the proper debuffs are applied (we wanted to make sure that
this did not turn into a universal nerf of casters).

We look forward to seeing how these changes play out in front of a larger
audience.

** Line of Sight Changes **

- For spells that require Line of Sight (LoS), the LoS check is now at the
beginning of the spellcast, not the end.
- Spells that require but do not have of LoS will now fail immediately.
- Harmful spells require LoS.
- Most Beneficial spells still do not require LoS.
- Bind Sight type spells do not require LoS.
- Any beneficial spell containing a Cancel Magic component requires LoS.

** Priest Changes **

- Clerics gain the Bash skill beginning at level 25. They will have a
maximum skill of 125 at level 50, 165 at level 60.
- Clerics gain Hammer of Judgement - a level 56 summoned hammer with a
powerful and frequent proc effect
- Clerics gain Yaulp V - a level 56 self-only melee and mana regen buff that
adds haste, dexterity, mana regeneration and stamina regeneration.
- Clerics gain Ethereal Elixir - a level 60 group version of Celestial
Elixir, the heal-over-time spell.
- Clerics gain Ethereal Light - a level 58 upgrade of Divine Light, the
single target heal spell.
- Clerics gain Ethereal Remedy - a level 59 upgrade of Remedy, the single
target heal spell.

** Sound and Music **

- We've started work on the sound and music engine. If you used to have
sound/music bugs, the first upgrade today might help a bit. This is the
first step down a long road. If your particular sound/music issue isn't
fixed, please be patient. There's no need to re-report existing sound/music
bugs.

** Items **

- Items now display level-restricted statistics besides armor class and
damage as a red number with the unrestricted value in parentheses.
- Duration focus items now give focus message when a group spell lands on
caster.
- Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl has been given a minor upgrade.
- Small Cloth Sandals are no longer wearable by large races.
- Fixed the Plane of Mischief boxes.

** Pets **

- Changed Specter pets so they're able to equip items and armor.
- Pet-only buffs now automatically attempt to target your pet if you cast
them with the wrong target or no target at all.
- Fixed a bug that would prevent the creation of Familiars and Warders if
the caster had created more than 99 in the same zone during the current game
session.
- The limit on the amount of haste that can be applied to a pet has been
changed (aka. The Pet Haste Cap). The amount of haste that can be placed on
a pet now scales with the level of its owner. The scaling occurs in a way
that is consistent with how much haste a given caster can place on his own
pet (using a Level 56 Magician as an example: The idea is that both Burnout
IV and Muzzle of Mardu should be useful).

** User Interface **

- Deleting Spells from Spellbook: Storebought spells can be deleted from
your spellbook. To delete a spell just right-click it to highlight it and
tap the DELETE key. Please note: This does not convert the spell back into a
scroll. You will have to buy a new scroll if you wish to re-scribe the
spell. No reimbursements will be made for deleted spells.
- Item Links: When you inspect an item with Alt-Left-Click, the item inspect
window stays up. To paste a "link" to the item you're looking at into your
chat bar, click on the item's graphic. That will "speak" a link that others
can click on to see the stats of the item, as if they were inspecting it
themselves.
- Updated the /note window. The old /note <text> command still works as it
always has. But you can now use /note without additional text to produce a
text window for entering note text. The /note command window should not
break existing skins.
- Fixed a bug with the tracking window that was showing the sorting set for
something other than normal for non-rangers (this was just a visual bug).
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused a crash when zoning with the corpse
window open.
- Added UI Label type #74 = Player Title
- "Reply to" will properly prepend a ;tell in front of names that are from
other servers.
- Extended the "reply to" queue to 50 names.
- Fixed some aesthetics with labels. Percentages will never show above 100
now (even during a heal). Corpse HP will always show 0.
- There will now be sound when banking coins.

** Bazaar **

- Added Focus Effect search parameter to the Bazaar.
- Items that are no-drop on other servers but tradable on Firiona Vie should
now show up in Bazaar searches on that server.

** Alternate Advancement **

- Frenzied Burnout no longer makes the pet suicide after the buff's duration
ends.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the Dire Charm ability not to reset if an
enchanter used it when he already had a pet.
- Fixed a bug that was causing Dire Charm to not give the "this mob cannot
be Dire Charmed" message or reset the timer in Cazic-Thule.
- Added the Quest Completion sound to AA point dings.

** Quests **

- There is a fellow named Moltak in Sol Temple. Killing him gives a
negative faction adjustment with the True Spirit faction. BUT, if you have
a very, very bad faction with True Spirit, killing him will also reset your
faction to a more tolerable level. So don't mess with this fellow unless
folks on the True Spirit faction are willing to kill you on sight.
- Made some modifications to the faction effects of the Wizard Epic quest.
- A powerful warder has been seen in the Skyfire Mountains. Those who seek
retribution against Ragefire would be wise to speak to her, she may be able
to provide information about his whereabouts.

** Miscellaneous **

- Merchants now display up to 80 items in their inventory. There should
also be less delay when opening up merchant windows.
- The Help window will now be displayed on startup. This will happen only
if it has never been seen before (since this change).
- Sirens should have female voices.
- Bloodgill Goblins should now sound like goblins.
- Several spell caster guild masters are now teaching magic skills. In
Shadowhaven: Palomidiar Allakhaji, Loewnsaz_Waldalon and Lamukas Kaesoanls.
In Echo Caverns: Kelador, Celerik, Wirgus and Yurian.
- Erudites of Prexus now start at the proper location.
- Bards singing songs should no longer prevent group members from
/split'ting coins. Only teleportation spells being cast in group will
prevent /split'ting. This change was required to keep coin from
disappearing if a /split occurred while a person was in the process of
leaving a zone.
- Leather Padding can now be made from Rockhopper Hides.

- The EverQuest Team

Sparkup

Sep 4, 2002, 7:16:10 AM9/4/02

"Adam" <ad...@nospamrightyarn.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message

> September 4, 2002 3:00 am
> ------------------------------
> - Small Cloth Sandals are no longer wearable by large races.

At last!

<snipped: some stuff about AA and such>

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 4, 2002, 8:03:06 AM9/4/02
Adam wrote:
> ** Petitions **
>
> - /viewpetition displays the petition you have in the queue, if any.
> - /deletepetition deletes the petition you have in the queue, if any (unless
> that petition is currently being viewed by CS staff).

I think that's nice.

> ** Experience Changes **
>
> - We have smoothed out level progression from 50-60. This should mitigate
> the "penalty effect" that occurs in levels 51, 54 and 59.

Resuming my postion as "Champion of Laziness", my wife and I have *both*
just barely made 54 prior to today's patch. he he. *smug look*.

> - We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over level
> 50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
> experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and for
> the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you can
> reasonably manage.

I was SO in favor of this when I first heard about it, but now I'm
concerned. Didn't see the "will give you LESS experience" nerf coming.
But my question is, does the phrase "considerably weaker than you" mean
the light blues? Or does it also include those that are in the bottom
level or two of your "blue range". Because we tend to fight low blues
where possible. Just makes sense. I'd hate to see that get nerfed now.

> -Added two new Mesmerize type spells for Bards, one at level 40, and one at
> level 58.

The bards will finally be right up there with chanters for higer end
crowd control. I assume this means they will be able to now charm mobs
that are above the previous "charm cap" they had.

> - Higher level PCs will be more resistant to lower level NPCs' spells.

WOO HOO!

> - Increased the number of spells that can be in effect on a given NPC to 30.

This one is going to tie in VERY significantly with the new stacking
stuff below.

> ** Spell Stacking Changes **

> Damage Over Time (DoT) spells are spells that linger on the target doing

> damage. Until today two different characters could not have the same DoT
> spell on the same target. As long as one copy of the spell was active any
> new version of the spell would not take hold. After today the same DoT
> spell cast by different casters can affect the same target at the same time.
> Also, if you cast a DoT spell on a target and you already have that spell
> active on it, the spell will refresh. (Note: It will not be possible to
> stack Lifeburn).

Speaking as a wizard who very regularly groups with two necros, all I
can say is that I almost feel sorry for the mobs. The necros used to
have to chat ahead of time as to which one was casting which DOT, etc.
and plan that to avoid overwrites and such. Now they can double the
number of DOTs on each mob I pull. I may just give up on nuking. ;-)

> ** Resistance Changes **
>
> We've made some fairly drastic changes to the way the spell resistance
> system works. Previously, there was only the smallest benefit to having
> resists over a certain value. We've reworked resistance in its entirety,
> completely replacing the old system with one that is more logical.

<snip>

> - Overall, against NPCs that have medium-to-high resistances of a given
> type, expect to see more full hits, fewer partials, but more full resists in
> the new system. Taken over time, the damage done by PC casters to semi-high
> resistance NPCs should be approximately the same, but will definitely
> improve when the proper debuffs are applied (we wanted to make sure that
> this did not turn into a universal nerf of casters).

This one has me VERY nervous, but we can only wait and see. *sigh*.

> ** Sound and Music **
>
> - We've started work on the sound and music engine. If you used to have
> sound/music bugs, the first upgrade today might help a bit.

That would be nice. Haven't had full or reliable sound since the St.
Valentines Day Eve Massacre Patch.

> ** Pets **

All I can say is that they have certainly been giving a lot of attention
and improvement to the pet classes lately, and it's a very Good Thing.
This one below is nice:

> - The limit on the amount of haste that can be applied to a pet has been
> changed (aka. The Pet Haste Cap). The amount of haste that can be placed on
> a pet now scales with the level of its owner. The scaling occurs in a way
> that is consistent with how much haste a given caster can place on his own
> pet (using a Level 56 Magician as an example: The idea is that both Burnout
> IV and Muzzle of Mardu should be useful).

Tarre most always has a bunch of Mardu Masks on her thanks to a 60 Mage
friend of ours. It's nice to know that the effects can stack, even
though her Rogue pet is already a frightenly destructive little bastard
in a fear kite.

> - Item Links: When you inspect an item with Alt-Left-Click, the item inspect
> window stays up. To paste a "link" to the item you're looking at into your
> chat bar, click on the item's graphic. That will "speak" a link that others
> can click on to see the stats of the item, as if they were inspecting it
> themselves.

WOO HOO! This will be SO FREAKING NICE for raid chat! Great improvement!

> - Extended the "reply to" queue to 50 names.

/sigh
Tell Hell just had an addition put on.

> ** Quests **

> - There is a fellow named Moltak in Sol Temple. Killing him gives a
> negative faction adjustment with the True Spirit faction. BUT, if you have
> a very, very bad faction with True Spirit, killing him will also reset your
> faction to a more tolerable level. So don't mess with this fellow unless
> folks on the True Spirit faction are willing to kill you on sight.
> - Made some modifications to the faction effects of the Wizard Epic quest.

We shall see. I already got screwed out of a couple KPP on their last
"fix" of the wizard epic and the Truespirit faction boondoggle. But I'll
blindly act like a Verant Fanbois and go try again. Hell, it's only
money.

> - A powerful warder has been seen in the Skyfire Mountains. Those who seek
> retribution against Ragefire would be wise to speak to her, she may be able
> to provide information about his whereabouts.

Ruht Roh, Shaggy. Hold me, I'm scared. Here's the promised "fix" to
Ragefire, with very little information given. Hrmmm....

Time will tell.

> ** Miscellaneous **
>
> - Merchants now display up to 80 items in their inventory. There should
> also be less delay when opening up merchant windows.

WOOT! Fix the idiots in the bazaar that overload their inventory! Also,
for people wanting to raid NPC vendors in newbie areas for tradeskill
stuff, less of a need to go vendor "trash diving". Nice.

--
jaZZ md
- - - -

"Decent compared to what? An enchanter pet?"
-- Ben Wilson

brushfire

Sep 4, 2002, 8:13:10 AM9/4/02
"Sparkup" <non...@yourbusiness.org> wrote in message

> > - Small Cloth Sandals are no longer wearable by large races.
>
> At last!

A slap in the face to large races.

Sparkup

Sep 4, 2002, 8:08:35 AM9/4/02

"brushfire" <brush...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Yup, I heard a guild on the nameless got banned for using this exploit.

Crash86

Sep 4, 2002, 9:05:07 AM9/4/02
"Adam" wrote:

<patch message snipped>

Thanks Adam.

Y'know, I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this. The last
time a patch was this frikkin' big it was a fiasco.

/em wonders if he'll be able to download the patch today,

Crash

Tristan Greaves

Sep 4, 2002, 9:33:17 AM9/4/02
Adam <ad...@nospamrightyarn.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> - We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over level
> 50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
> experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and for
> the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you can
> reasonably manage.

Interesting. I tend to quad kite when soloing, so I look with interest to
see how my XP in this situation varies. Will Cobalt Scar cease to be
perma-camped by druids and wizards?

> - Resists matter more for PCs. There are now tangible differences between
> having 50, 150, and 250 in a given resistance, for example. Resistance
> buffs, bard songs, and resist gear have actual value, all the way up the
> line.

[snip rest of resistance stuff]

Now this looks like it has potential. Again, it will be interesting to see
how the damage I take starts to change!

> - Bind Sight type spells do not require LoS.

Have they unnerfed the ability to cast Bind Sight on a mob and explore
an entire dungeon with it? (by essentially leap-frogging mobs?)

> - Deleting Spells from Spellbook: Storebought spells can be deleted from
> your spellbook. To delete a spell just right-click it to highlight it and
> tap the DELETE key. Please note: This does not convert the spell back into a
> scroll. You will have to buy a new scroll if you wish to re-scribe the
> spell. No reimbursements will be made for deleted spells.

Nice, but where is the ability to move and entire page of spells at a time?

> - Added the Quest Completion sound to AA point dings.

Hah, brilliant. :)

> - There is a fellow named Moltak in Sol Temple. Killing him gives a
> negative faction adjustment with the True Spirit faction. BUT, if you have
> a very, very bad faction with True Spirit, killing him will also reset your
> faction to a more tolerable level. So don't mess with this fellow unless
> folks on the True Spirit faction are willing to kill you on sight.
> - Made some modifications to the faction effects of the Wizard Epic quest.

Yay, wizard epic fixed then. For those that didn't know, completing your
Epic a while back made you KoS to all True Spirit NPCs. This could naturally
get a bit messy in some zones.

"Congratulations on completing your Epic! Now, let me kill you!"

> - A powerful warder has been seen in the Skyfire Mountains. Those who seek
> retribution against Ragefire would be wise to speak to her, she may be able
> to provide information about his whereabouts.

I look forward to hearing how this works, and I hope they haven't
trivialised this part of the Cleric epic, yet left other epics similarly
"broken" in terms of mob contention.

Lots of stuff, I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Tris.

Annie M. Benson-Lennaman

Sep 4, 2002, 10:39:02 AM9/4/02
Adam wrote:

> September 4, 2002 3:00 am
> ------------------------------
>
> Please note: there are a lot of changes going into the game with today's
> patch. Some of these changes (such as the changes to resistances and spell
> stacking) will change aspects of the game that may make gameplay different.
> Keep this in mind when you log in. With system-wide changes like these it
> is entirely possible that there are still bugs. Please report these bugs
> using /bug, and know that we will work to fix them as fast as we can. But
> also note that some intended changes might appear as bugs (perhaps a spell
> no longer stacks with another spell). Feel free to report these as bugs if
> you are unsure. But please keep in mind the changes listed here as well.

No no no! Too wordy. I can condense this paragraph into 3 words.
Assume crash position.

There. Wasn't that easier?

Annie <--- Hopes the writers at Verant are taking note.

--
The Council of Mithril Dreams on Firiona Vie

Teapray Oogrog
An Elven Cleric in the Service of Tunare for 31 seasons
Wife to Lenny the Traveling Ogre

Also on FV
Lentea
An Iksar Shaman level 10, may be played by either Lenny or I.

------
My email has been sabotaged. If you
can't figure out the fake part,
you're not supposed to write me.

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 4, 2002, 10:55:54 AM9/4/02
Tristan Greaves wrote:

> > - A powerful warder has been seen in the Skyfire Mountains. Those who seek
> > retribution against Ragefire would be wise to speak to her, she may be able
> > to provide information about his whereabouts.
>
> I look forward to hearing how this works, and I hope they haven't
> trivialised this part of the Cleric epic, yet left other epics similarly
> "broken" in terms of mob contention.

Here's the text of the conversation with the new NPC:

This is the new NPC in Skyfire:

[Wed Sep 04 14:20:45 2002] Askarak says, 'Hail, Warder Cecilia'
[Wed Sep 04 14:20:45 2002] Warder Cecilia says 'Greetings, you have made
excellent time. We received word that Zordak was gathering his power
here, and we still have little knowledge of his true intentions.
Scattered throughout these mountains there are small Pearlescent Shards,
binding four of these shards together within a Box of Binding should
allow me to create a Seal. This seal, when fused with a Swirling Pearl
inside Zordak's heart should allow our seers to divinie his true
intentions, even after he has been slain. Once you have the seal I will
release Zordak, make haste I will not be able to hold him for long.'

Seems that you need to gather the small shards in skyfire then RF will
be triggered...

Malvolin

Sep 4, 2002, 10:59:46 AM9/4/02

"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

> > ** Spell Stacking Changes **
>
> > Damage Over Time (DoT) spells are spells that linger on the target doing
> > damage. Until today two different characters could not have the same
DoT
> > spell on the same target. As long as one copy of the spell was active
any
> > new version of the spell would not take hold. After today the same DoT
> > spell cast by different casters can affect the same target at the same
time.
> > Also, if you cast a DoT spell on a target and you already have that
spell
> > active on it, the spell will refresh. (Note: It will not be possible
> > stack Lifeburn).
>
> Speaking as a wizard who very regularly groups with two necros, all I
> can say is that I almost feel sorry for the mobs. The necros used to
> have to chat ahead of time as to which one was casting which DOT, etc.
> and plan that to avoid overwrites and such. Now they can double the
> number of DOTs on each mob I pull. I may just give up on nuking. ;-)

Being a Necromancer myself, my jaw nearly hit the floor when I read this. I
have to wonder if they've fully considered what this will do for
Necromancers in groups of 2 or more...especially at level 34 and higher.
With their ability to stack roughly 1000 dmg worth of DOT each at 34, and
their ability to speed mana regen with COB and gain back HP via Lifetap, I'm
guessing that a group of just 2 Necromancers will now be able to fight with
roughly the same efficiency as a full group of 6 players, and do so against
mobs that would pose a bit of a problem to just one Necro of that level...

Dark Tyger

Sep 4, 2002, 11:10:41 AM9/4/02
"Annie M. Benson-Lennaman" <annie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Adam wrote:
>>
>> September 4, 2002 3:00 am
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Please note: there are a lot of changes going into the game with today's
>> patch. Some of these changes (such as the changes to resistances and spell
>> stacking) will change aspects of the game that may make gameplay different.
>> Keep this in mind when you log in. With system-wide changes like these it
>> is entirely possible that there are still bugs. Please report these bugs
>> using /bug, and know that we will work to fix them as fast as we can. But
>> also note that some intended changes might appear as bugs (perhaps a spell
>> no longer stacks with another spell). Feel free to report these as bugs if
>> you are unsure. But please keep in mind the changes listed here as well.
>
>No no no! Too wordy. I can condense this paragraph into 3 words.
> Assume crash position.
>
> There. Wasn't that easier?

In case of water landing, your seat can used as a floatation device.
(Ma'am, in case of water landing, all my seat's gonna be used for is a
toilet!) Okay, then the lardass next to you can be used as a
floatation device... ><

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Email me at comcast.net
=^..^=

"There are no happy endings because nothing ever ends" -Schmendric, The Last Unicorn

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=347423

John M Clancy

Sep 4, 2002, 11:49:19 AM9/4/02
"Malvolin" <bl...@blah.com> wrote in message

How is it any different than 2 wizards joining together and nuking
down a mob?

--
Go here and click every day:
http://www.thehungersite.com

Celaeno

Sep 4, 2002, 11:55:02 AM9/4/02
You will not evade me, jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com>:

>Adam wrote:

>> - We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over level
>> 50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
>> experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and for
>> the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you can
>> reasonably manage.
>
>I was SO in favor of this when I first heard about it, but now I'm
>concerned. Didn't see the "will give you LESS experience" nerf coming.
>But my question is, does the phrase "considerably weaker than you" mean
>the light blues? Or does it also include those that are in the bottom
>level or two of your "blue range". Because we tend to fight low blues
>where possible. Just makes sense. I'd hate to see that get nerfed now.

My grinding spot is a mix of dark and light blue. I have a feeling it
will now feel like a mix of dark/light blue, and green.

I hope the clerics feel compensated. They get all the spells I'd want,
I get nothing, they're even more desirable for groups, and exp is
raised for mobs you need a group for and lowered for most soloable
stuff. Oh, and I am going to have to break my habit of snaring with my
epic, as it doesn't do that anymore (I guess some druids are going to
have a nasty surprise today).

I can't recall being depressed by a patch before.

Baroness Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal hierophant of Erollisi Marr

Caeli Sidhe

Sep 4, 2002, 12:09:42 PM9/4/02
"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

Although nowhere near starting on my cleric epic, I like the sound of this.
Makes the spawn of Ragefire in the player's control rather than waiting
around for the thing to spawn, waiting lists whatever. Wish they would do
this with all of the normally camped spawns. Make the quest epic extend out
to questing for the mob as well. Seems to make more sense than the
traditional wait 7 days for said mob to spawn, and pray to Tunare that the
mob drops whatever item it is you need. Of course I could be wrong and this
could make things worse but if the fine points are worked out I could see
this working really well with all the contested spawns out there.

--

-------------------------------------
Caeli Sidhe

Nephran (Malinari)
Barbarian Shaman of 7 Seasons
Firiona Vie

Richard

Sep 4, 2002, 12:41:04 PM9/4/02
"brushfire" <brush...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Damn it, nerfed again. I'm never taking these sandals off.

--
Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Luminary of 55 seasons, Erollisi Marr <The
Appointed>

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 4, 2002, 12:48:01 PM9/4/02
John M Clancy wrote:
> > Being a Necromancer myself, my jaw nearly hit the floor when I read this. I
> > have to wonder if they've fully considered what this will do for
> > Necromancers in groups of 2 or more...especially at level 34 and higher.
> > With their ability to stack roughly 1000 dmg worth of DOT each at 34, and
> > their ability to speed mana regen with COB and gain back HP via Lifetap, I'm
> > guessing that a group of just 2 Necromancers will now be able to fight with
> > roughly the same efficiency as a full group of 6 players, and do so against
> > mobs that would pose a bit of a problem to just one Necro of that level...
>
> How is it any different than 2 wizards joining together and nuking
> down a mob?

Extremely different. Wizard nukes always "stacked", i.e. two wizards
could always shoot ice comets at a mob until it dropped. (Or the wizards
did, of course.) However, two necros could not cast Boiling Blood on the
same mob. Only the first one would land. Nor could one cast a lower
level dot of the same "line" since the higher would overwrite it. So
dual necros had to reduce their damage arsenal and agree which one would
cast which of their dots.

Now, if there are three dots of good power available to the necros on a
given mob, rather than Necro_01 casting two of them, and Necro_02
casting one of them for a total of three, they can both cast all three
for a total of six. That's some seriously withering damge if you look at
post fifty necro dots and toss in a couple of rogue or monk pets on the
mobs.

R. Hoogenboom

Sep 4, 2002, 12:50:42 PM9/4/02

"Malvolin" <bl...@blah.com> wrote in message

Does this also apply to NPC now? Say 2 druids or necros NPC's casting the
same DoT's on you? That gonna hurt i'll tell you..

Wolfie

Sep 4, 2002, 1:00:23 PM9/4/02

"R. Hoogenboom" wrote

> Does this also apply to NPC now? Say 2 druids or necros NPC's
> casting the same DoT's on you? That gonna hurt i'll tell you..

NPCs weren't supposed to get the stacking changes, just players.

Lance Berg

Sep 4, 2002, 12:56:05 PM9/4/02

Adam wrote:

> ** Priest Changes **
>
> - Clerics gain the Bash skill beginning at level 25. They will have a
> maximum skill of 125 at level 50, 165 at level 60.
> - Clerics gain Hammer of Judgement - a level 56 summoned hammer with a
> powerful and frequent proc effect
> - Clerics gain Yaulp V - a level 56 self-only melee and mana regen buff that
> adds haste, dexterity, mana regeneration and stamina regeneration.
> - Clerics gain Ethereal Elixir - a level 60 group version of Celestial
> Elixir, the heal-over-time spell.
> - Clerics gain Ethereal Light - a level 58 upgrade of Divine Light, the
> single target heal spell.
> - Clerics gain Ethereal Remedy - a level 59 upgrade of Remedy, the single
> target heal spell.

Priest changes? These are all cleric changes. Looks like the
druid/shaman "incomplete heal" spells are getting a rethink?

Bash... aren't all the level 60s who have already put all their skill points
into learning languages going to be pissed if they can't start this one?
Luckily I have 5 points left over. Training it up to 165 in combat is sure
going to be a pain though!

Hammer... well frankly unless I"m hunting one of the five undead mobs
in the entire world, that thing is probably going to hang on a wall somewhere.
We shall see, they do say "frequent and powerful proc"

Yaulp V. Doesn't tell me about stacking. If it stacks with BAOTR, I
may use it. If it doesn't, well hey, a use for that new spell delete deal!

Ethereal Elixer. Doesn't seem too bad.

Ethereal Light. Bah.

Ethereal Remedy hey, that might be just the ticket, I swear I cast
Remedy more than any other heal these days. Is it still cheap,
fast, and long range?

Bergh

EQ Shaman

Sep 4, 2002, 1:39:18 PM9/4/02

"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
Imagine 2 necros, 2 shamans an enchanter and a cleric....could be a
devastating group.

Shaman

John M Clancy

Sep 4, 2002, 1:48:52 PM9/4/02
"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

Umm how is that 'extremely different?'
Like I said. How is 2 necros stacking dots any different than 2 wizards
stacking nukes? Melee damage stacks, nuke damage stacks, why shouldn't
dot damage stack?

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 4, 2002, 2:02:18 PM9/4/02
"R. Hoogenboom" wrote:

> Does this also apply to NPC now? Say 2 druids or necros NPC's casting the
> same DoT's on you? That gonna hurt i'll tell you..

Fortunately, no. The mobs will not gain this advantage.

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 4, 2002, 2:01:32 PM9/4/02
John M Clancy wrote:
> > Now, if there are three dots of good power available to the necros on a
> > given mob, rather than Necro_01 casting two of them, and Necro_02
> > casting one of them for a total of three, they can both cast all three
> > for a total of six. That's some seriously withering damge if you look at
> > post fifty necro dots and toss in a couple of rogue or monk pets on the
> > mobs.
>
> Umm how is that 'extremely different?'
> Like I said. How is 2 necros stacking dots any different than 2 wizards
> stacking nukes? Melee damage stacks, nuke damage stacks, why shouldn't
> dot damage stack?

You write far too intelligently to mean that as a serious question, so
I'll assume you're either joking or just being obstinate. In solo or
small group situations, particulary where it's just casters, necros are
already grossly overpowered compared to wizards. The lack of DOT
stackability is the issue here. *BEFORE*, they couldn't stack them,
while wizards have always been able to stack DD nukes. (Leaving quadding
out of this.) The only thing stopping necros from ganing up and ruling
the world was the lack of stackability. Now that's no longer a
hindrance. That was the only point to that. You've always had the
ability for a group of wizards to run around together laying out huge
damage, but you didn't see it because they would tend to die a lot. The
only reason you didnt' see Necro's doing it is because they didn't
stack. Now they do.

James Grahame

Sep 4, 2002, 2:36:19 PM9/4/02

"Richard" <richar...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> "brushfire" <brush...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > "Sparkup" <non...@yourbusiness.org> wrote in message

> > > At last!
> >
> > A slap in the face to large races.
>
> Damn it, nerfed again. I'm never taking these sandals off.

Don't worry, when you log in you'll be killed by the game immediately
and the problem will correct itself. ;-)

James

Ray Rocker

Sep 4, 2002, 2:36:38 PM9/4/02
In article <xYnd9.9$pa1.559@psinet-eu-nl>,

Tristan Greaves <tri...@extricate.org> wrote:
>Adam <ad...@nospamrightyarn.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>> - We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over level
>> 50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
>> experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and for
>> the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you can
>> reasonably manage.
>
>Interesting. I tend to quad kite when soloing, so I look with interest to
>see how my XP in this situation varies. Will Cobalt Scar cease to be
>perma-camped by druids and wizards?

I translated the above as "hey level 60s, get the hell out of Velks
and go fight something more difficult". But, yeah, this looks like
a bit of a nerf on quad kiting too. 'Bout time.

--
Ray Rocker
roc...@datasync.com

Ray Rocker

Sep 4, 2002, 2:40:32 PM9/4/02
In article <3D763A4F...@dejazzd.com>,

Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote:
>Bash... aren't all the level 60s who have already put all their skill points
>into learning languages going to be pissed if they can't start this one?
>Luckily I have 5 points left over. Training it up to 165 in combat is sure
>going to be a pain though!

I'm pissed that I recently dumped off to a merchant the couple of stacks
of LQ rockhopper hides I had in the bank after discovering they didn't
make leather padding or anything else useful.

--
Ray Rocker
roc...@datasync.com

James Grahame

Sep 4, 2002, 2:56:30 PM9/4/02

"Celaeno" <cel...@choklit.nospam.org> wrote in message

> You will not evade me, jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com>:
> >Adam wrote:
>
> >> - We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over
level
> >> 50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
> >> experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and
for
> >> the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you can
> >> reasonably manage.
> >
> >I was SO in favor of this when I first heard about it, but now I'm
> >concerned. Didn't see the "will give you LESS experience" nerf coming.
> >But my question is, does the phrase "considerably weaker than you" mean
> >the light blues? Or does it also include those that are in the bottom
> >level or two of your "blue range". Because we tend to fight low blues
> >where possible. Just makes sense. I'd hate to see that get nerfed now.
>
> My grinding spot is a mix of dark and light blue. I have a feeling it
> will now feel like a mix of dark/light blue, and green.

On Test, when this was first put in, light blues gave no XP. Brace
yourself for that level of XP reduction.

> I hope the clerics feel compensated.

Actually, I feel miserable. I got a bunch of spells I didn't want or
need, and because of that other classes will get spells that they don't need
or will feel left out. This was handled very poorly.

> They get all the spells I'd want,
> I get nothing, they're even more desirable for groups, and exp is
> raised for mobs you need a group for and lowered for most soloable
> stuff.

The XP needed to be raised on the group mobs. It makes no sense that a
level 60 mob, pre-change, didn't even give as much XP as two low-blue level
45 mobs. As for the soloable stuff, well, /comfort. That's going to stink.
Maybe with the DoT changes, though, you'll be able to pair with another
druid and take on some fairly challenging mobs?

> I can't recall being depressed by a patch before.

/hug. Hey, 80 slots on vendors! =)

James

Richard

Sep 4, 2002, 3:00:46 PM9/4/02
"EQ Shaman" <xan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Why on earth would the necros slow themselves down like that? I play a
shaman, and, well, given the way necros kill things, I am seeing very little
point to having shaman there too. Enchanter? For what? Mana regen? We
are talking necros here. Cleric? Well, if you dump the shaman and the
enchanter, there really isn't much need for a cleric anymore.

Richard

Sep 4, 2002, 3:03:41 PM9/4/02
"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

So now, necros can run around in full groups and rule Norrath and Luclin.
There is still this issue of only 4 pets attacking a mob to resolve though.
I mean have 18 or 24 dots from 6 necros, but then only four backstabbing
rogue pets hitting the feared mobs back. Really, it needs to be upped to 6.

kaev

Sep 4, 2002, 3:16:18 PM9/4/02

> - We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over level
> 50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
> experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and for
> the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you can
> reasonably manage.

So much for the least hazardous zone I've found decent solo xp in.
But at least:

> - Divine aura is now available to Paladins at level 51, instead of level 55.

The risk of soloing lots of other zones has suddenly dimished.

Kaev <--- eyeing some gnoll-infested real estate in JaggedPines

Dream King

Sep 4, 2002, 3:29:22 PM9/4/02
cel...@choklit.nospam.org (Celaeno) wrote:

>I hope the clerics feel compensated. They get all the spells I'd want,
>I get nothing, they're even more desirable for groups, and exp is
>raised for mobs you need a group for and lowered for most soloable
>stuff. Oh, and I am going to have to break my habit of snaring with my
>epic, as it doesn't do that anymore (I guess some druids are going to
>have a nasty surprise today).

I was wondering about that, since it wasn't mentioned. A good change in
my opinion. I can't tell how many times I've had that damn effect
resisted simply because the mob was snare resistant.

XP nerf is a bit lame in my opinion. The thing to do was make it so
that group xp increased, therefore making it more desireable to group
for xp while still providing the same xp people used to receive when
resorting to soloing.

ryouseika

Sep 4, 2002, 3:54:37 PM9/4/02
In article <afqd9.162035$On.63...@bin3.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>,
angryco...@NOSPAM.comcast.net says...

<snip discussion>

What happens if someone turns in these shards, ragefire spawns, they go
grab it, then someone else pounces up and hands in a box of shards? 2
Ragefires?

--
Ryou (THAT could be fun.)

Taellaar ~ 35 DE Rogue (pretty) ~ Erollisi Marr
Novasina ~ 13 DE Necro (cute) ~ Erollisi Marr

kaev

Sep 4, 2002, 3:55:02 PM9/4/02
Richard wrote:

> "EQ Shaman" <xan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>>Imagine 2 necros, 2 shamans an enchanter and a cleric....could be a
>>devastating group.
>>

> Why on earth would the necros slow themselves down like that? I play a
> shaman, and, well, given the way necros kill things, I am seeing very little
> point to having shaman there too. Enchanter? For what? Mana regen? We
> are talking necros here. Cleric? Well, if you dump the shaman and the
> enchanter, there really isn't much need for a cleric anymore.

Well, for the "lounge chair" necro set the group could be:
4 Necros, Cleric, Druid.

4 Necros gives maximum pet stacking. The Cleric is a 56+ bot that
is /camp'd at a handy position to deal with the occassional death,
maintaining maximum convenience without giving up any xp. And as
for the Druid, well...

chimp_01 says, 'I say Basil, have we done Burned Woods lately?'
chimp_02 says, 'What a simply smashing idea, wouldn't you say Neville?'
chimp_03 says, 'Quite'
chimp_04 says, 'Bring the car 'round will you James?'
druid_01 says, 'Burned Woods sir? We'll be there straightaway.'
cleric_01 says, 'Here you are m'Lord, we've laid in a goodly supply of
Chateau LeGimp, will that be all sir?'
chimp_04 says, 'Oh, good show Benson, yes that'll do nicely'
cleric_01 says, 'Very good sir, please ring if you have need of me'
[cleric_01 has gone Linkdead]
[cleric_01 has left the group]
chimp_04 says, 'James, would you be so good as to fetch us a dragon?
one of the blue please, I find that the green simply do not go well
at all with LeGimp'
chimp_03 says, 'Quite'
druid_01 says, 'Of course sir, it would be my pleasure'

Kaev

rcsmiley

Sep 4, 2002, 3:56:47 PM9/4/02

Adam <ad...@nospamrightyarn.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message

> September 4, 2002 3:00 am
> ------------------------------
>

> ** Petitions **
>
> - /viewpetition displays the petition you have in the queue, if any.
> - /deletepetition deletes the petition you have in the queue, if any
(unless
> that petition is currently being viewed by CS staff).

License to ignore petitions until you delete them in frustration...

> - We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over
level
> 50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
> experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and for
> the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you can
> reasonably manage.

So light-blues are now no longer worth it again?
Another kick in the teeth for post-50 soloers :o(

> - The hard level limit involving players casting on NPCs has been removed.
> This used to be referred to in EQ folklore as the "Six Level Limit" (It
was
> actually 1.25 times the caster's level, but more people likely thought
about
> it the other way.) This means that in the vast majority of cases, there
is
> at least a small chance that a person will be able to connect a spell with
> an NPC, even if they are out of that NPC's traditional level range.

Hello Caster-Zerg Rush

> - Overall, against NPCs that have medium-to-high resistances of a given
> type, expect to see more full hits, fewer partials, but more full resists
in
> the new system. Taken over time, the damage done by PC casters to
semi-high
> resistance NPCs should be approximately the same, but will definitely
> improve when the proper debuffs are applied (we wanted to make sure that
> this did not turn into a universal nerf of casters).
>
> We look forward to seeing how these changes play out in front of a larger
> audience.

"We also look forward to you bastards figuring out which resist to aim for
on every raid level Mob out there!" :o)

> ** Bazaar **
>
> - Added Focus Effect search parameter to the Bazaar.
> - Items that are no-drop on other servers but tradable on Firiona Vie
should
> now show up in Bazaar searches on that server.
>

> ** Alternate Advancement **
>
> - Frenzied Burnout no longer makes the pet suicide after the buff's
duration
> ends.
> - Fixed a bug that would cause the Dire Charm ability not to reset if an
> enchanter used it when he already had a pet.
> - Fixed a bug that was causing Dire Charm to not give the "this mob cannot
> be Dire Charmed" message or reset the timer in Cazic-Thule.
> - Added the Quest Completion sound to AA point dings.
>

> ** Quests **
>
> - There is a fellow named Moltak in Sol Temple. Killing him gives a
> negative faction adjustment with the True Spirit faction. BUT, if you
have
> a very, very bad faction with True Spirit, killing him will also reset
your
> faction to a more tolerable level. So don't mess with this fellow unless
> folks on the True Spirit faction are willing to kill you on sight.
> - Made some modifications to the faction effects of the Wizard Epic quest.

> - A powerful warder has been seen in the Skyfire Mountains. Those who
seek
> retribution against Ragefire would be wise to speak to her, she may be
able
> to provide information about his whereabouts.
>

> ** Miscellaneous **
>
> - Merchants now display up to 80 items in their inventory. There should
> also be less delay when opening up merchant windows.

Does this include NPC Vendors?
No more Merchant-Mining!!

rcsmiley

Sep 4, 2002, 4:05:09 PM9/4/02

> "R. Hoogenboom" wrote:
>
> > Does this also apply to NPC now? Say 2 druids or necros NPC's casting
the
> > same DoT's on you? That gonna hurt i'll tell you..
>
> Fortunately, no. The mobs will not gain this advantage.

Damn good job, too...

Can you imagine the carnage around Druid Rings if ALL of them could land the
same DoT at the same time!? :o)

rcsmiley

Sep 4, 2002, 4:11:59 PM9/4/02

Annie M. Benson-Lennaman <annie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Assume crash position.

Hands over your ears...
Head between your knees...
And kiss your ass goodbye! :o)

kaev

Sep 4, 2002, 4:21:45 PM9/4/02
rcsmiley wrote:

Heh, can you imagine how much fun it would be to watch some of
those lame-assed, foul-mouthed, shit-for-brains morons who tend
to camp Druid Rings get their asses handed to them in a sling?

GOGO GOOD TEAM!

Lance Berg

Sep 4, 2002, 4:23:14 PM9/4/02

Lance Berg wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>

> > ** Priest Changes **
> >
> > - Clerics gain the Bash skill beginning at level 25. They will have a
> > maximum skill of 125 at level 50, 165 at level 60.
> > - Clerics gain Hammer of Judgement - a level 56 summoned hammer with a
> > powerful and frequent proc effect
> > - Clerics gain Yaulp V - a level 56 self-only melee and mana regen buff that
> > adds haste, dexterity, mana regeneration and stamina regeneration.
> > - Clerics gain Ethereal Elixir - a level 60 group version of Celestial
> > Elixir, the heal-over-time spell.
> > - Clerics gain Ethereal Light - a level 58 upgrade of Divine Light, the
> > single target heal spell.
> > - Clerics gain Ethereal Remedy - a level 59 upgrade of Remedy, the single
> > target heal spell.

Spells are sold in Shadowhaven cleric guild, by the way

> Bash... aren't all the level 60s who have already put all their skill points
> into learning languages going to be pissed if they can't start this one?
> Luckily I have 5 points left over. Training it up to 165 in combat is sure
> going to be a pain though!

Started at 25 skill. Oh well, guess those 5 points get to stay unspent just
in case something else needs em.

> Hammer... well frankly unless I"m hunting one of the five undead mobs
> in the entire world, that thing is probably going to hang on a wall somewhere.
> We shall see, they do say "frequent and powerful proc"

OH my, do they ever mean frequent! Procs 20 times a fight, what with the
25 dex plus the YV dex bonus. I need some more dex gear, get my self
buffed dex up to 255 (only 60 dex to go) This totally blows righteousness
and that cudgel I have out of the water for a melee weapon. And it only
cost 6pp.... oh and the fact that unlike most clerics I long since maxed out
conjuration cause I actually liked my pet hammer!

> Yaulp V. Doesn't tell me about stacking. If it stacks with BAOTR, I
> may use it. If it doesn't, well hey, a use for that new spell delete deal!

Stacks, and ROCKS. Always mem, always on spell, unless I actually
desperately need the 10 more mana per tic I'd get sitting on my butt.

> Ethereal Elixer. Doesn't seem too bad.

Actually seems to suck, mana cost is extreme and how often do
I need a group HOT? Well haven't tried it yet actually.

> Ethereal Light. Bah.

Didn't test this one out yet, but hard to imagine it will be usefull
very often at all.

> Ethereal Remedy hey, that might be just the ticket, I swear I cast
> Remedy more than any other heal these days. Is it still cheap,
> fast, and long range?

2.8 sec, 1023 heal... 400 mana cost. So its like CHeal expensive
and DL effective, but at Remedy speed. Haven't tested range yet

> Bergh

Arklier

Sep 4, 2002, 4:20:49 PM9/4/02

No, your char will just have his feet squeezed off by the constriction
of the too-tight sandals. You'll be forever going around on bloody
stumps..

--
ark...@hotnospammail.com

If you can't figure out my address, you need help.

ryouseika

Sep 4, 2002, 4:34:34 PM9/4/02
In article <xytd9.4931$Z12.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>,
rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk says...

> > We look forward to seeing how these changes play out in front of a larger
> > audience.
>
> "We also look forward to you bastards figuring out which resist to aim for
> on every raid level Mob out there!" :o)

Hm. Wouldn't it be "whatever that mob resists, you get resist gear for"?
I mean when I'm fighting something that likes to cast cold spells, I
don't bother with them because it resists them. Heat, same. Of course
we're talking desert madmen here.... :)

And another question - you know how if you're in AoE range of your own
spell, you get smacked too? Does this happen to NPCs?

> > ** Bazaar **
> >
> > - Added Focus Effect search parameter to the Bazaar.

Woo hoo!

> > - Merchants now display up to 80 items in their inventory. There should
> > also be less delay when opening up merchant windows.
>
> Does this include NPC Vendors?
> No more Merchant-Mining!!

Now if only I could get online to go grab all those orc pawn picks,
dammit!

--
Ryou

Lance Berg

Sep 4, 2002, 4:44:45 PM9/4/02

Adam wrote:

> September 4, 2002 3:00 am
>

> - Unswerving Hammer of Faith has casting time reduced from 6 to 2.5 seconds,
> recast increased from 2.5 to 60 seconds and mana cost lowered from 600 to
> 250.

This is a massive change to the cleric pet, long a laughingstock of the
pet world. Chopping its cast cost more than in half makes it far less
likely you'll be sorry you bothered casting it. In a short test someone
ran in another thread, pet did between 2000 and 2700 points of
damage over a two and a half minute fight, at 250 mana (180 mana more
or less with an enshrouded veil on) this is one nice little DOT.
The cast time of 2.5 seconds makes it much more practical, too,
now you can probably channel one while being beat on, or reliably
get one cast and locked on target if target is being kited or fear kited...
previously it took some planning or a partner to get pet out and not
dead.

As an experienced UHOF user, I'll suggest getting a pair of Donals
Vambraces, and slapping Valor up on your pet once its out. The
biggest liability to the hammer is its incredibly low hp total. Valor
for free means that if your pet gets aggro for a blow or two, it probably
lives. On the other hand, this free advice is worth about what its
costing you; with the lower cost you won't care as much when your
pet does happen to die.

I'm also looking into the feasibility of casting Heroism and Marzin
on the little guy, so I can back out of melee, heal myself, and
dive back in, like a beastlord (only with real heals) relying on
pet to tank long enough to get the heal cast cleanly.

Bergh

Oh, also note, new graphic on the pet, much more visible now,
looks like Righteousness in there swinging instead of that slim
little bit of nothing they used to see.

John M Clancy

Sep 4, 2002, 4:55:29 PM9/4/02
"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

I am arguing simply from the stand point of being logical and consistancy.
Damage is damage. What difference does it make how the damage is
applied? As I said melee damage stacks, as do nukes. Combining
most classes in a group doubles, triples, etc the damage/minute.

Yes necros are excellent soloers. I mean they have a tank, they have snare,
fear, mez, nukes, dots, mana regen. Hard to not be powerful. Except
when grouped together they did not 'stack' well with each other, same with
shaman and druid dots as well.

A necro solo was king. 2 necros grouped was actually less efficient
than both going solo. Doesn't make sense.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 4, 2002, 5:22:41 PM9/4/02
On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:56:30 GMT, "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

|As for the soloable stuff, well, /comfort. That's going to stink.

I actually began to believe that Verant wouldn't do anything as stupid as
some of the things they've done in the past, but they did.

HEY DIMWITS: by taking away our ability to solo effectively, you just
forced MORE people into LESS space than before. Since you ALREADY didn't have
enough space for your high-level population, this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of
what you had to do.

CT is going to be a fucking nightmare. Not only is it going to go from
BYOG to overcrowded, but the room-temperature IQ crowd from Velk's is going to
go there and try to figure out how to fight in a real dungeon....

Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture Fletcher(E'ci) heff...@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"It's better some times if we don't get to touch our dreams."
-- Harry Chapin

Tim Smith

Sep 4, 2002, 5:44:25 PM9/4/02
In article <uncslbl...@news.supernews.com>, John M Clancy wrote:
> I am arguing simply from the stand point of being logical and consistancy.
> Damage is damage. What difference does it make how the damage is applied?
> As I said melee damage stacks, as do nukes. Combining most classes in a
> group doubles, triples, etc the damage/minute.

Well, if you want logic and consistency, it was better before, for most
DOTs, for the same reason you wouldn't expect getting SOW cast on you from
multiple Druids to stack. A DOT gives you a fast-acting disease, or poisons
you, or makes your blood boil. That would tend to be a binary thing: you
either have the effect on you or you don't.

--Tim Smith

georg

Sep 4, 2002, 5:58:08 PM9/4/02
kaev <gas...@nospam.yuck.net> wrote in message

> And as
> for the Druid, well...
>
> chimp_01 says, 'I say Basil, have we done Burned Woods lately?'
> chimp_02 says, 'What a simply smashing idea, wouldn't you say Neville?'
> chimp_03 says, 'Quite'
> chimp_04 says, 'Bring the car 'round will you James?'
> druid_01 says, 'Burned Woods sir? We'll be there straightaway.'
> cleric_01 says, 'Here you are m'Lord, we've laid in a goodly supply of
> Chateau LeGimp, will that be all sir?'
> chimp_04 says, 'Oh, good show Benson, yes that'll do nicely'
> cleric_01 says, 'Very good sir, please ring if you have need of me'
> [cleric_01 has gone Linkdead]
> [cleric_01 has left the group]
> chimp_04 says, 'James, would you be so good as to fetch us a dragon?
> one of the blue please, I find that the green simply do not go well
> at all with LeGimp'
> chimp_03 says, 'Quite'
> druid_01 says, 'Of course sir, it would be my pleasure'

Bravo.

I have Tiru (my cleric) parked conveniently for rezzing my party already.
And the wizzie ports us where ever. Now to just find two more necros, and
convince Rosana to play with us a lot more often. =). As for my rezzes, I
think I'll have to start handling my own. Besides, Tiru can only do a 90
rez, and I do 93. Why pester the dwarf?

Of course the wizzie doesn't have tracking, but he does the best he can.

My thoughts on the patch...

ooo an improvement to the Spectre pet. Can't wait.

Hoobah! DoTs stack!

May need to find another great XP spot, since everyone and their nephew will
want to hunt in SF. We've been grinding here, and it's been good to us. Not
sure how many mobs will be up later this evening. But this may cut the
backlog, and I may consider a. hunting with Tiru again, and b. getting his
clicky. Even though I've been unemployed for too long now, I still didn't
want to put in the time to camp that.

It's about frigging time they added these petition commands. As a former gui
de, I'm sure the entire guide community is praising Verant right now.

Yeah! dingah noise! And, I was 54 just as the patch hit- I squeeked in. =).

"Shadowknight and Necromancer Drain type spells can now be clicked off by
the recipient of the beneficial portion of the spell. " I'm guessing that
the caster will still have the negative effect however.

"Death Peace made available to Necromancers at level 60" what the heck is
this?

"For spells that require Line of Sight (LoS), the LoS check is now at the
beginning of the spellcast, not the end." I can't say how much I love this.

"Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl has been given a minor upgrade." I want to
know what this is.

"Updated the /note window. The old /note <text> command still works as it
always has. But you can now use /note without additional text to produce a
text window for entering note text. The /note command window should not
break existing skins." I also love this. I often write while online. Here's
a chance to edit what I do. =) And actually take note on that quest i'm
doing right now. =)

Merchants now display up to 80 items in their inventory. I am a shopper.
Thank you.

-georg
(anyone else keep wanting to read Pathc in the subject as an abbreviation
for Pathetic?)

EverQuest Player

Sep 4, 2002, 6:02:45 PM9/4/02
In article <al4pfo$thl$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
Adam <ad...@nospamrightyarn.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>- Deleting Spells from Spellbook: Storebought spells can be deleted from
>your spellbook. To delete a spell just right-click it to highlight it and
>tap the DELETE key. Please note: This does not convert the spell back into a
>scroll. You will have to buy a new scroll if you wish to re-scribe the
>spell. No reimbursements will be made for deleted spells.

I would like to have the ability to scribe the same spell in more than
one location.

Especially now that there are eight spells on a page, it would be great
to have a combat setup page, a travelling setup page, tradeskill setup
page, etc.

rcsmiley

Sep 4, 2002, 7:38:10 PM9/4/02

ryouseika <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> In article <xytd9.4931$Z12.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>,
> rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk says...
>
> > > We look forward to seeing how these changes play out in front of a
larger
> > > audience.
> >
> > "We also look forward to you bastards figuring out which resist to aim
for
> > on every raid level Mob out there!" :o)
>
> Hm. Wouldn't it be "whatever that mob resists, you get resist gear for"?

uh, no... you misunderstand

Mobs have had THEIR resists tuned (at least that's how I read it)... meaning
that some Uber-Mobs might or might not be more or less resistant to some
spell lines.

If this is the case, and some previously raid-level critter suddenly
develops a susceptability to, say, disease or poison... whilst having their
resistance to fire or cold buffed... expect to see Necro/Shammie groups
start farming... and Druids/Mages complaining :o)

Tim Smith

Sep 4, 2002, 7:36:56 PM9/4/02
In article <Qlvd9.188188$vg.33...@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, georg wrote:
> May need to find another great XP spot, since everyone and their nephew
> will want to hunt in SF. We've been grinding here, and it's been good to
> us. Not sure how many mobs will be up later this evening. But this may cut
> the

Hmmm...time to start a rumour that the shards are more common on mobs near
the Wizard port, so people will keep that area clear. Might make that port
safe to use. :-)

--Tim Smith

Sean Kennedy

Sep 4, 2002, 8:43:26 PM9/4/02
"Richard" <richar...@netscape.net> wrote in

Try it and check your logs.

Get 5 pet classes together, have them
all hit /pet kill and step close enough
to log the hits. You'll find something
rather interesting.

James Grahame

Sep 4, 2002, 8:58:16 PM9/4/02

"georg" <theg...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

> My thoughts on the patch...
>
> "Death Peace made available to Necromancers at level 60" what the heck is
> this?

It's an upgraded Feign Death. You Will Want This.

> "Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl has been given a minor upgrade." I want to
> know what this is.

The effect is no longer "FT II and 15% buff extension". The effect is
now simply "20% buff extension." In addition, the eighth shawl has FT III on
it. Not only is it an upgrade, but it's now quite obvious to all that the FT
on the shawl is subject to the 15 points of FT cap.

> Merchants now display up to 80 items in their inventory. I am a shopper.
> Thank you.

Oooh, I love this one too. ;-)

They also upgraded Vex Thal items. While this might not mean much to the
average Joe, I'm more than pleased that my shiny red gloves now give me +15%
to Blacksmithing instead of the old +5%. Before, I was going to ask another
dwarven smith to make my 46 WAR some Enchanted Dwarven Plate (the old
stuff) - now I'm going to try it myself!

James

James Grahame

Sep 4, 2002, 9:01:10 PM9/4/02

"John M Clancy" <sp...@spark.com> wrote in message

> I am arguing simply from the stand point of being logical and consistancy.
> Damage is damage. What difference does it make how the damage is
> applied?

DoT damage is some of the most efficient damage/mana in the game. That's
why it didn't stack originally. But when classes were first made I doubt
anyone thought about 40+ person raids much.

James

James Grahame

Sep 4, 2002, 9:07:06 PM9/4/02

"Dennis Francis Heffernan" <heff...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:56:30 GMT, "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
> |As for the soloable stuff, well, /comfort. That's going to stink.
>
> I actually began to believe that Verant wouldn't do anything as stupid as
> some of the things they've done in the past, but they did.
>
> HEY DIMWITS: by taking away our ability to solo effectively, you just
> forced MORE people into LESS space than before. Since you ALREADY didn't
have
> enough space for your high-level population, this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of
> what you had to do.
>
> CT is going to be a fucking nightmare. Not only is it going to go from
> BYOG to overcrowded, but the room-temperature IQ crowd from Velk's is
going to
> go there and try to figure out how to fight in a real dungeon....

Yes, and no. People who were soloing, or at the front of Chardok, in
Sebilis, in HS, in FG, in Velk's spiders.... they're going to be moving, if
they were level 60. But there's a ton of space out there for them. The Deep,
Ssra, Maiden's Eye, Umbral Plains, PoG, CT - all will see population
increases as people realize that now the good XP/unit time is in these
places. Hell, there's actual named mob camps in The Deep, but up until now
the only people you saw there were camping THO/Burrower/lucid
shards/serubane components/the zone-in.

Oh, and there's one camp in FG that'll still have people at it, if
they're smart. ;-)

James

Dark Tyger

Sep 4, 2002, 10:25:03 PM9/4/02
"rcsmiley" <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote:

>Adam <ad...@nospamrightyarn.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
>> September 4, 2002 3:00 am
>> ------------------------------
>>

>> ** Petitions **
>>
>> - /viewpetition displays the petition you have in the queue, if any.
>> - /deletepetition deletes the petition you have in the queue, if any
>(unless
>> that petition is currently being viewed by CS staff).
>>
>License to ignore petitions until you delete them in frustration...

Oh, come off it. As if they couldn't already ignore the petitions
until they deleted themselves due to the time in queue...

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Email me at comcast.net
=^..^=

"There are no happy endings because nothing ever ends" -Schmendric, The Last Unicorn

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=347423

Malvolin

Sep 4, 2002, 11:58:18 PM9/4/02

> Why on earth would the necros slow themselves down like that? I play a
> shaman, and, well, given the way necros kill things, I am seeing very
little
> point to having shaman there too. Enchanter? For what? Mana regen? We
> are talking necros here. Cleric? Well, if you dump the shaman and the
> enchanter, there really isn't much need for a cleric anymore.

Actually, I would take an Enchanter if one was available. Clarity is better
mana regen than Call Of Bones, and it doesn't have the added effect of
draining my HP; even though I can drain them back from a mob, Lifetap is not
all that mana-efficient.

rcsmiley

Sep 5, 2002, 1:03:45 AM9/5/02

Dark Tyger <dark...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Oh, come off it. As if they couldn't already ignore the petitions
> until they deleted themselves due to the time in queue...

If it gets left to die of old age, it goes down as 'unresolved'... which
makes CS look like the shiftless, idle, doughnut munching layabouts they
trully are...

If the player deletes it in frustration, it can be claimed as 'resolved by
players'... which makes CS look like they're "focusing on the real needs of
players" and ignoring our petty little schoolyard squabbles.

/shrug
Call my a cynic, but I still suspect it's a cop-out to 'massage the figures'

Brian Hance

Sep 5, 2002, 2:50:12 AM9/5/02
"rcsmiley" <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote:

>If the player deletes it in frustration, it can be claimed as 'resolved by
>players'... which makes CS look like they're "focusing on the real needs of
>players" and ignoring our petty little schoolyard squabbles.

Then isn't that kind of the players fault for not holding the CS
people to doing their jobs?

If the petition hasn't been resolved, don't delete it. Simple.

--
Brian Hance
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself.

Ben wilson

Sep 5, 2002, 4:02:08 AM9/5/02
In article <I_xd9.339$rn5....@news0.telusplanet.net>, James Grahame
<jamesg...@shaw.ca> writes

> They also upgraded Vex Thal items. While this might not mean much to the
>average Joe, I'm more than pleased that my shiny red gloves now give me +15%
>to Blacksmithing instead of the old +5%. Before, I was going to ask another
>dwarven smith to make my 46 WAR some Enchanted Dwarven Plate (the old
>stuff) - now I'm going to try it myself!

Ditto - I've got +40% in smithing mods now hehe - 310 total skill if the
stacking rumors are true
--
DDD H H ][ DEMORGOTH DEMONIA ][ Tanked from start to finish:
D D H H ][ ][ Ventani, AoW, Emp Ssra, most of VT

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=123069
http://darkhorizon.angrybunni.org/

Dark Tyger

Sep 5, 2002, 4:17:09 AM9/5/02
"rcsmiley" <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote:

>Dark Tyger <dark...@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Oh, come off it. As if they couldn't already ignore the petitions
>> until they deleted themselves due to the time in queue...
>>
>If it gets left to die of old age, it goes down as 'unresolved'... which
>makes CS look like the shiftless, idle, doughnut munching layabouts they
>trully are...

No, if it dies of old age, it doesn't go down as anything. It just
goes away...

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 5, 2002, 6:57:49 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 01:07:06 GMT, "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

| Yes, and no. People who were soloing, or at the front of Chardok, in
|Sebilis, in HS, in FG, in Velk's spiders.... they're going to be moving, if
|they were level 60.

This is *bad*.

|But there's a ton of space out there for them. The Deep,
|Ssra, Maiden's Eye, Umbral Plains, PoG, CT - all will see population
|increases as people realize that now the good XP/unit time is in these
|places.

Not one of these zones is a pick-up zone, NOR DO YOU WANT THEM TO BE. Do
you REALLY want to join a pick-up group to fight level 55 mobs? Do you REALLY
want your pre-made group of guildmates to have to compete for camps against
people who train the zone every five minutes because they have the combat
skills of celery?

Plus this brings back all the frigging problems with class balance. I
didn't care that Rangers are fourth in melee damage and dead last in tanking
(BEASTLORDS tank better!) because I could always go solo for my experience.
Now it's going to be back to spending better than half my time LFG someplace?

Of course, as usual it's the fighters who get reamed. Casters have always
been able to solo larger targets so this will affect them less. AE groups
will get less experience per mob but that just means they only advance 10
times faster than everyone else instead of 20.

|Hell, there's actual named mob camps in The Deep, but up until now
|the only people you saw there were camping THO/Burrower/lucid
|shards/serubane components/the zone-in.

There is a reason why people did not go to those camps: THEY SUCK. If
they didn't, people would have done them.

| Oh, and there's one camp in FG that'll still have people at it, if
|they're smart. ;-)

Can't think of what it would be, except perhaps the Shik'nar, which I
don't want to mess with.

Just when we thought The Vision was dead, we get hit with this fascist
shit. How dare people -- especially fighters! -- gain experience without
grouping! Back in your place!

Lance Berg

Sep 5, 2002, 7:18:00 AM9/5/02

Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

> |Hell, there's actual named mob camps in The Deep, but up until now
> |the only people you saw there were camping THO/Burrower/lucid
> |shards/serubane components/the zone-in.
>
> There is a reason why people did not go to those camps: THEY SUCK. If
> they didn't, people would have done them.

"They suck" means "its terrible exp per hour." If the exp per mob is now three
times the exp it was, then perhaps we need to take a new look at camps to see
which ones still suck and which ones are now the golden fleece.

Throw what you "know" out the window, and look at the landscape anew.

I know, for example, that I used to be able to solo a light blue mob in SF
for about half a bar of mana, or a dark blue mob for a full bar. Where I
logically went for the light blues, getting 70% of the exp per kill I would
with the dark blues, with less risk, and a total of 140% of the exp per hour
along with twice the loot drop (all wyverns seem to have the same drop
rate) now I might find I get 25% as much exp off the light blue, meaning
50% as much exp per hour. So I have to balance twice as much exp
versus half as much loot.

Of course the new situation in SF being what it is, I instead moved to
Cyan mobs, where I can kill five per bar of mana, and give absolutely
not a care in the world to the fact that I'm perhaps getting a tenth the
exp output, all I want is shards shards shards.

Bergh "no more waiting till december?" Brelltender

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 5, 2002, 7:40:03 AM9/5/02
Tim Smith wrote:

> Hmmm...time to start a rumour that the shards are more common on mobs near
> the Wizard port, so people will keep that area clear. Might make that port
> safe to use. :-)

Oh, borrow a set of balls. ;-)

I use it all the time and I can't even go in invis. Only died once, and
that was on a CR when I didn't have my jboots. If you have SoW or jboots
you'll live through the wizzy portin.

--
jaZZ md
- - - -
"Warriors add some decent damage"

"Decent compared to what? An enchanter pet?"
-- Ben Wilson

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 5, 2002, 7:42:04 AM9/5/02
kaev wrote:

> chimp_01 says, 'I say Basil, have we done Burned Woods lately?'
> chimp_02 says, 'What a simply smashing idea, wouldn't you say Neville?'
> chimp_03 says, 'Quite'
> chimp_04 says, 'Bring the car 'round will you James?'
> druid_01 says, 'Burned Woods sir? We'll be there straightaway.'
> cleric_01 says, 'Here you are m'Lord, we've laid in a goodly supply of
> Chateau LeGimp, will that be all sir?'
> chimp_04 says, 'Oh, good show Benson, yes that'll do nicely'
> cleric_01 says, 'Very good sir, please ring if you have need of me'
> [cleric_01 has gone Linkdead]
> [cleric_01 has left the group]
> chimp_04 says, 'James, would you be so good as to fetch us a dragon?
> one of the blue please, I find that the green simply do not go well
> at all with LeGimp'
> chimp_03 says, 'Quite'
> druid_01 says, 'Of course sir, it would be my pleasure'

/applaud Kaev

This should be saved someplace. That was some serious art, my friend.

georg

Sep 5, 2002, 7:44:08 AM9/5/02

> Actually, I would take an Enchanter if one was available. Clarity is
better
> mana regen than Call Of Bones, and it doesn't have the added effect of
> draining my HP; even though I can drain them back from a mob, Lifetap is
not
> all that mana-efficient.

I beg to differ. And really, Lifetap isn't as efficient as the Leech line-
the lifetap over time spells.

Call of Bones is better than Clarity. CoB gives you 8 mana per tick. Clarity
is a variable, but according to Casters' Realm: At level 29 it increases by
an extra 2 mana per tick. By level 35 it increases by 7 mana per tick. So no
matter what, COB is better than Clarity.

Clarity II does 11 Mana Per Tick.(castable at 54)

Lich increases Mana by 20 per tick. (49)

KEI increases Mana by 14 per tick. (60)

Demi Lich does 31 Mana per tick (56)

Arch Lich increase Mana 35 per tick (60).

Necros don't need ANY version of Clarity. But, I'll take anything in the
Brillance line! And my favorite buff is any form of regen.

-georg
(Tarre Solskin, DE necro, currently 54)

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 5, 2002, 7:43:07 AM9/5/02
Sean Kennedy wrote:

> Try it and check your logs.
>
> Get 5 pet classes together, have them
> all hit /pet kill and step close enough
> to log the hits. You'll find something
> rather interesting.

Hrmmmmm?

Drake

Sep 5, 2002, 10:04:59 AM9/5/02
"Dennis Francis Heffernan" <heff...@comcast.net> wrote in message

snip

> Just when we thought The Vision was dead, we get hit with this fascist
> shit. How dare people -- especially fighters! -- gain experience without
> grouping! Back in your place!

The only time I've ever agreed with you.

More interesting angle to all of this is 'why?'...

Makes sense now why spellbook staring was removed pre-35 - VI saw the
approaching need for being able to keep a heads-up while LFG.

Richard

Sep 5, 2002, 10:08:00 AM9/5/02
"Dennis Francis Heffernan" <heff...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:56:30 GMT, "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
> |As for the soloable stuff, well, /comfort. That's going to stink.
>
> I actually began to believe that Verant wouldn't do anything as stupid as
> some of the things they've done in the past, but they did.
>
> HEY DIMWITS: by taking away our ability to solo effectively, you just
> forced MORE people into LESS space than before. Since you ALREADY didn't
have
> enough space for your high-level population, this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of
> what you had to do.
>
> CT is going to be a fucking nightmare. Not only is it going to go from
> BYOG to overcrowded, but the room-temperature IQ crowd from Velk's is
going to
> go there and try to figure out how to fight in a real dungeon....

Speaking from the point of view of someone who still needs threads from
Velks, this is bad how?

--
Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Luminary of 55 seasons, Erollisi Marr <The
Appointed>
Tainniel Fleabane, Halfling Warrior of 30 seasons, Erollisi Marr <The
Appointed>
Ganwein, Wood Elf Ranger of 15 seasons, Erollisi Marr <The Appointed>
Giluven, Wood Elf Druid of 15 seasons, Erollisi Marr <Decadence>
Graeniel, High Elf Enchanter of 22 seasons, Erollisi Marr <The Appointed>

Dream King

Sep 5, 2002, 10:07:01 AM9/5/02
Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote:

>Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:
>

>> |Hell, there's actual named mob camps in The Deep, but up until now
>> |the only people you saw there were camping THO/Burrower/lucid
>> |shards/serubane components/the zone-in.
>>
>> There is a reason why people did not go to those camps: THEY SUCK. If
>> they didn't, people would have done them.
>
>"They suck" means "its terrible exp per hour." If the exp per mob is now three
>times the exp it was, then perhaps we need to take a new look at camps to see
>which ones still suck and which ones are now the golden fleece.
>
>Throw what you "know" out the window, and look at the landscape anew.

What I know is that Verant screwed us once again.

If there are zones the soloers will be leaving, you can bet the
groupers will be leaving as well since the XP is even slower grouped (in
most cases).

People need to look past the "Ha, no solo for you!" and see that it
affects everyone, unless they are hunting mobs 51+. Now, count how many
51+ zones are and divide by the number of level 60 people. On paper it's
not sounding too pretty to me.

Celaeno

Sep 5, 2002, 10:35:41 AM9/5/02
You will not evade me, "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca>:

>"Celaeno" <cel...@choklit.nospam.org> wrote in message
>> You will not evade me, jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com>:

>level
>for
>> >
>> >I was SO in favor of this when I first heard about it, but now I'm
>> >concerned. Didn't see the "will give you LESS experience" nerf coming.
>> >But my question is, does the phrase "considerably weaker than you" mean
>> >the light blues? Or does it also include those that are in the bottom
>> >level or two of your "blue range". Because we tend to fight low blues
>> >where possible. Just makes sense. I'd hate to see that get nerfed now.
>>
>> My grinding spot is a mix of dark and light blue. I have a feeling it
>> will now feel like a mix of dark/light blue, and green.
>
> On Test, when this was first put in, light blues gave no XP. Brace
>yourself for that level of XP reduction.

It seems I am going to have to learn the tricks to soloing yellow and
red mobs :(

>> I hope the clerics feel compensated.
>
> Actually, I feel miserable. I got a bunch of spells I didn't want or
>need, and because of that other classes will get spells that they don't need
>or will feel left out. This was handled very poorly.

Give them to me! That fast casting Nature's Touch clone was exactly
what I wanted. Does Verant want me to spend my time in raids
pretending to partially CH (if they ever do that) while the clerics
assist heal instead of me?

I have never ever contemplated switching my spec to evo - until now.

> The XP needed to be raised on the group mobs. It makes no sense that a
>level 60 mob, pre-change, didn't even give as much XP as two low-blue level
>45 mobs. As for the soloable stuff, well, /comfort. That's going to stink.
>Maybe with the DoT changes, though, you'll be able to pair with another
>druid and take on some fairly challenging mobs?

It's not the point. Nerfing your everyday blue hurts virtually
everyone... Soloers, casual players, most pickup groups. I heard even
Howling Stones was bad exp now. Instead of utilizing all the zones
with mobs supposed to give exp to level 60, the unwashed masses will
be flocking to CT and leaving all the other areas empty.
Didn't they learn from when the only good 50 zones were LGuk and SolB?

>> I can't recall being depressed by a patch before.
>
> /hug. Hey, 80 slots on vendors! =)

I only ever use the new interface while I have my bazaarmule running,
and she doesn't see all that much time. I guess she can get an extra
bag now, though.

Baroness Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal hierophant of Erollisi Marr

Richard

Sep 5, 2002, 10:45:49 AM9/5/02
"Celaeno" <cel...@choklit.nospam.org> wrote in message
<snip>
From the sound of the tests run, you won't have to, just go after the higher
blue cons.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 5, 2002, 10:48:05 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:08:00 -0600, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>
wrote:

|Speaking from the point of view of someone who still needs threads from
|Velks, this is bad how?

Someday you're going to have all your threads, but you'll still need a
place to hunt.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 5, 2002, 10:48:53 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:18:00 GMT, Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote:

|"They suck" means "its terrible exp per hour." If the exp per mob is now three
|times the exp it was, then perhaps we need to take a new look at camps to see
|which ones still suck and which ones are now the golden fleece.
|
|Throw what you "know" out the window, and look at the landscape anew.

Codswallop.

Poor experience is only one reason why people wouldn't have gone to
underutilized zones. Other reasons: poor access, difficult CR, mobs with
abilities you don't want to deal with (e.g. any zone with Enchanter mobs),
poor loot, area requires specialized groups (e.g. you NEED a Rogue, you NEED a
Cleric, you NEED an evaccer, etc.), etc.

If people don't go someplace, it means the area is broken, not that the
players are wrong. Prior attempts by the designers to entice people into
underutilized areas by raising experience have all failed dismally. Velk's
had to have its experience modifier raised TWICE, its mobs retuned, its loot
redone at least once and given an item needed in bulk for a major quest before
people started going there. That's why this time they didn't just raise the
experience in the underutilized zones, they lowered the experience in the
zones people liked. This amounts to telling the customers that they are wrong
about what they want from the game, which is an excellent strategy for
reducing profits.

kaev

Sep 5, 2002, 11:19:31 AM9/5/02
Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 01:07:06 GMT, "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

> | Yes, and no. People who were soloing, or at the front of Chardok, in
> |Sebilis, in HS, in FG, in Velk's spiders.... they're going to be moving, if
> |they were level 60.
>
> This is *bad*.

Could be worse, from my perspective. Maybe now I can get a group in
Velks. Oh, wait, dammit... there's a Cleric LFG, I'll never get picked
over a damage dealer.

> |But there's a ton of space out there for them. The Deep,
> |Ssra, Maiden's Eye, Umbral Plains, PoG, CT - all will see population
> |increases as people realize that now the good XP/unit time is in these
> |places.
>
> Not one of these zones is a pick-up zone, NOR DO YOU WANT THEM TO BE. Do
> you REALLY want to join a pick-up group to fight level 55 mobs? Do you REALLY
> want your pre-made group of guildmates to have to compete for camps against
> people who train the zone every five minutes because they have the combat
> skills of celery?

Celery? When did they get upgraded? You sure you don't mean Cabbage?

<snip>

> Just when we thought The Vision was dead, we get hit with this fascist
> shit. How dare people -- especially fighters! -- gain experience without
> grouping! Back in your place!

TheVision(tm) is dead, and its benefits are being steadily eroded.
OTOH, with this patch they have resurrected (and buffed) the worst
of its drawbacks. Whatever passes for a dev team at VI now clearly
has its clip plane set to zero.

Kaev

Quindell

Sep 5, 2002, 11:18:11 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 00:43:26 GMT, Sean Kennedy
<kse...@nospam.qwest.net> wrote:

>"Richard" <richar...@netscape.net> wrote in
>
>> "jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

<<<snip>>>>

>> So now, necros can run around in full groups and rule Norrath and
>> Luclin. There is still this issue of only 4 pets attacking a mob to
>> resolve though. I mean have 18 or 24 dots from 6 necros, but then only
>> four backstabbing rogue pets hitting the feared mobs back. Really, it
>> needs to be upped to 6.
>>
>> --
>
>Try it and check your logs.
>
>Get 5 pet classes together, have them
>all hit /pet kill and step close enough
>to log the hits. You'll find something
>rather interesting.

hmm... could you just fill in the blank... I dont have 5 pet classes
to get together to check this out.

what are we suposed to see..

thanks

Brian Hance

Sep 5, 2002, 11:56:36 AM9/5/02
cel...@choklit.nospam.org (Celaeno) wrote:

>It seems I am going to have to learn the tricks to soloing yellow and
>red mobs :(

Nah. Just find slightly higher blue mobs. They still give nice exp.

Richard

Sep 5, 2002, 1:16:07 PM9/5/02

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:08:00 -0600, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
> |Speaking from the point of view of someone who still needs threads from
> |Velks, this is bad how?
>
> Someday you're going to have all your threads, but you'll still need a
> place to hunt.

I imagine I'll manage to find a spot or two. I haven't had any trouble so
far, and it has even included doing hoards of light blue mobs, so I don't
honestly see it having a significant impact. Time will tell I suppose.
Given my current rate of progress, I don't anticipate hitting 60 anytime in
the near future.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 5, 2002, 1:31:42 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:16:07 -0600, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>
wrote:

|I imagine I'll manage to find a spot or two.

Not under these rules.

|I haven't had any trouble so
|far, and it has even included doing hoards of light blue mobs, so I don't
|honestly see it having a significant impact.

Under the new rules, light blues are effectively worth zero experience.

Richard

Sep 5, 2002, 1:38:33 PM9/5/02

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:16:07 -0600, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
> |I imagine I'll manage to find a spot or two.
>
> Not under these rules.
>
> |I haven't had any trouble so
> |far, and it has even included doing hoards of light blue mobs, so I don't
> |honestly see it having a significant impact.
>
> Under the new rules, light blues are effectively worth zero experience.

First off Dennis, have you looked at the actual information that has been
gathered on what the xp changes are? I agree light blues will be basically
worthless now. But, if I was able to get acceptable xp off light blues
prepatch, then I will likely be able to get acceptable xp off of lower dark
blues post patch. I spent a couple of hours in a group in Skyfire last
night, killing mostly the lower level dark blue mobs, and xp was moving
fine. It was not great, but it was moving.

As I said before, I expect I'll be able to find a few spots where I can hunt
for xp.

Ment

Sep 5, 2002, 2:03:34 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 08:56:36 -0700, Brian Hance
<bha...@net-prophet.com> wrote:

>cel...@choklit.nospam.org (Celaeno) wrote:
>
>>It seems I am going to have to learn the tricks to soloing yellow and
>>red mobs :(
>
>Nah. Just find slightly higher blue mobs. They still give nice exp.

THe problem is that not all the mobs at a camp are the same level. And
this problem isn't only for soloers but partner teams as well.

Case in point level 51 at spirocs, range from low (Lightfoot mostly
light blue) to medium (Watcher rare lt blue most dark) to high (Proven
all dark blue). You have to take what pops. Under this new xp system
you will get almost no xp from a LF at 51 which btw can be half the
mobs.
Most camps follow this same structure and to hold the camp you have to
be able to take on the highest mobs. Now you are killing up to half
the mobs for no xp( lightfoot) and part of the dark blues for reduced
xp (watchers) to get to the mobs that have no bonus or penalty
(Provens).
Same camp as earlier this week only much less xp. Know this for sure
cause I was there last night (51) and xp was horrid. Night before the
patch I was same level (51 hell) and it was better, much better. Heck
give us back hell levels please lol. heh now if I can just find that
old copy of DAOC around here somewhere.....

To take a quote from and old movie "Your new system just plain sucks"

James Grahame

Sep 5, 2002, 2:19:39 PM9/5/02

"Ben wilson" <bwi...@armoury1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <I_xd9.339$rn5....@news0.telusplanet.net>, James Grahame
> <jamesg...@shaw.ca> writes
> > They also upgraded Vex Thal items. While this might not mean much to
the
> >average Joe, I'm more than pleased that my shiny red gloves now give me
+15%
> >to Blacksmithing instead of the old +5%. Before, I was going to ask
another
> >dwarven smith to make my 46 WAR some Enchanted Dwarven Plate (the old
> >stuff) - now I'm going to try it myself!
>
> Ditto - I've got +40% in smithing mods now hehe - 310 total skill if the
> stacking rumors are true

The last tests run at EQTraders seemed to indicate it didn't stack. That
would explain why the mod was bumped up, if it's true - +5% is useless on
the gloves if owning a 100 pp Geerlock gives you the same advantage.

You've managed to scoop the Creator's hammer, the Gauntlets of Dark
Embers, a Geerlock and the belt off what's-his-Praesertium? Nice collection!
So far my tradeskill mods are limited to the Gauntlets, the Shears off Shei,
and a pile of Geerlocks. But even just those make a huge difference - my
lowest effective tradeskill score is now 194 (Fletching or JC, with
Geerlock), something I never imagined I'd achieve. And making things is fun!

James

Richard

Sep 5, 2002, 2:29:46 PM9/5/02
"Ment" <Sim...@home.com> wrote in message

Keep in mind that there are two adjustments here. One in the amount of xp a
mob gives, and the second one in smoothing out the progression of levels
from 50 to 60 to remove the hell levels. This means that previously "easy"
levels in that range have become harder, and the hell levels have become
easier.

James Grahame

Sep 5, 2002, 2:30:24 PM9/5/02

> "rcsmiley" <rcsm...@steelweb.co.uk> wrote:
> >Dark Tyger <dark...@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Oh, come off it. As if they couldn't already ignore the petitions
> >> until they deleted themselves due to the time in queue...
> >>
> >If it gets left to die of old age, it goes down as 'unresolved'... which
> >makes CS look like the shiftless, idle, doughnut munching layabouts they
> >trully are...
>
> No, if it dies of old age, it doesn't go down as anything. It just
> goes away...

That's too bad. Hard to improve your customer service if you don't keep
any metrics on it.

James

Celaeno

Sep 5, 2002, 5:22:52 PM9/5/02
You will not evade me, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>:

>"Celaeno" <cel...@choklit.nospam.org> wrote in message
>> You will not evade me, "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca>:

>> > On Test, when this was first put in, light blues gave no XP. Brace

>> >yourself for that level of XP reduction.
>>
>> It seems I am going to have to learn the tricks to soloing yellow and
>> red mobs :(
>>
><snip>
>From the sound of the tests run, you won't have to, just go after the higher
>blue cons.

Oh, yeah. Venril Sathir and Faydedar are higher blue cons, you know.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 5, 2002, 7:41:53 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:38:33 -0600, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>
wrote:

|First off Dennis, have you looked at the actual information that has been
|gathered on what the xp changes are? I agree light blues will be basically
|worthless now. But, if I was able to get acceptable xp off light blues
|prepatch, then I will likely be able to get acceptable xp off of lower dark
|blues post patch. I spent a couple of hours in a group in Skyfire last
|night, killing mostly the lower level dark blue mobs, and xp was moving
|fine. It was not great, but it was moving.
|
|As I said before, I expect I'll be able to find a few spots where I can hunt
|for xp.

Yes, as a matter of fact I have:

http://pub13.ezboard.com/fthedruidsgrovegeneral.showMessage?topicID=28502.topic

experience than they used to. 'coz, anyone killing level 55 mobs at level 60
must be bottom-feeding scum and stuff, right? :-P

The curve is going to look pretty much the same for everyone post-50. The
mobs you will need to kill in order to get the experience you used to get will
be nearly raid-level for you.

Ment

Sep 5, 2002, 9:32:15 PM9/5/02

And this is why I used the above, since 51 was a hell level, more xp
to ding, before the patch and isn't now, one would expect a seeming
increase in xp progression. What has happened is a slow down. My
experience above negates the double change. Refer to the showEQ logs
on eqdruids, they match what we are seeing. BTW this is one reason why
they hate showeq.
SO the question remains what is verant smoking and how do I get some?

jaZZmanian Devil

Sep 6, 2002, 6:22:18 AM9/6/02
Richard wrote:
> I imagine I'll manage to find a spot or two. I haven't had any trouble so
> far, and it has even included doing hoards of light blue mobs, so I don't
> honestly see it having a significant impact. Time will tell I suppose.
> Given my current rate of progress, I don't anticipate hitting 60 anytime in
> the near future.

While it *might* be affecting sixties more (And I don't see how, since
the change should affect anyone over fifty fighting mobs at the low end
of the blue range for them) I'm certainly not seeing a measurable
change. We started out last night trying to only pull considerably
higher level mobs in Skyfire, moving to the ragefire camp. But the
downtime was excessive. We moved back to another spot where we were
pulling low blues as usual (even the occasional light blue) and my xp
gain rate was just fine for 54.

Richard

Sep 6, 2002, 9:04:31 AM9/6/02
"Dennis Francis Heffernan" <heff...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Sounds like soloing is going to suck. Grouping, I already kill significant
numbers of high blue to red mobs when I'm grouping, so it should actually
help quite a bit for grouping. I don't exactly think of the mobs that I
group to kill as raid level mobs. One group, no deaths, little to no
downtime.

Richard

Sep 6, 2002, 9:05:54 AM9/6/02
"Celaeno" <cel...@choklit.nospam.org> wrote in message

Yes, well, not all mobs that are the same level are of the same difficulty.
Still, from looking at the numbers, soloing is going to suck now. Guess I
should be glad that I got sick of soloing anyway, and only do that with my
twinks anymore.

Richard

Sep 6, 2002, 9:08:22 AM9/6/02
"Ment" <Sim...@home.com> wrote in message

Was 51 a hell level? I never noticed, breezed right through it. 54 was a
hell level, 59, I understand, just plain sucked. I guess a lot depends on
how they changed the curve. I have seen the logs, but it was after previous
post. Looks like it's time to move elsewhere for xp in 51.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 6, 2002, 11:03:24 AM9/6/02
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 07:04:31 -0600, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>
wrote:

|Sounds like soloing is going to suck.

So sorry, it isn't.

|Grouping, I already kill significant
|numbers of high blue to red mobs when I'm grouping, so it should actually
|help quite a bit for grouping.

Good for you.

|I don't exactly think of the mobs that I
|group to kill as raid level mobs. One group, no deaths, little to no
|downtime.

Name them, I've probably killed them -- and found the experience wanting.

Richard

Sep 6, 2002, 11:18:35 AM9/6/02

> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 07:04:31 -0600, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
> |Sounds like soloing is going to suck.
>
> So sorry, it isn't.
>
> |Grouping, I already kill significant
> |numbers of high blue to red mobs when I'm grouping, so it should actually
> |help quite a bit for grouping.
>
> Good for you.
>
> |I don't exactly think of the mobs that I
> |group to kill as raid level mobs. One group, no deaths, little to no
> |downtime.
>
> Name them, I've probably killed them -- and found the experience wanting.

Various mobs in Maidens Eye and Umbral Plains most recently. Akheva Ruins,
various mobs. I can't say that I was impressed with the xp in ME, seemed
kind of slow really. Umbral Plains was not bad, Akheva was better. Also
spent time in Acrylia Caverns, which was not bad, most of the mobs were
blue, but high blue I believe. Kael, various giants, ranging from low blues
to high blues mostly (some greens too, but you get past them pretty
quickly). The Grey, mostly blues, a few even cons near the temple. Fungus
Grove, most, if not all blues, but, we did have a 60 ranger to do the
pulling to get singles.

I guess that part of the problem here is that I have fun, even if the xp is
not all that great. I play the game to have fun, and chat with friends.
Sure, I like getting decent xp and levelling too, but that's not the primary
purpose.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 6, 2002, 1:51:13 PM9/6/02
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:18:35 -0600, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net>
wrote:

|Various mobs in Maidens Eye and Umbral Plains most recently. Akheva Ruins,
|various mobs. I can't say that I was impressed with the xp in ME, seemed
|kind of slow really. Umbral Plains was not bad, Akheva was better.

Experience in outdoor zones sucks, period. If you want real points, get
indoors. Akheva is worth almost twice the experience of ME.

|Also spent time in Acrylia Caverns, which was not bad, most of the mobs were
|blue, but high blue I believe.

Been there, done that, did better on the 'shrooms.

|Kael, various giants, ranging from low blues
|to high blues mostly (some greens too, but you get past them pretty
|quickly).

I've only been to one Kael run in months, to reverse a CoV faction hit
taken at a public raid.

|The Grey, mostly blues, a few even cons near the temple.

Outdoors again. I soloed in the Grey on and off through 58 and 59, and
very occasionally in 60 if FG is swamped. Not impressed.

|Fungus Grove, most, if not all blues, but, we did have a 60 ranger to do the
|pulling to get singles.

Which is where I get the bulk of my experience these days.