/pet do as I wish

Lance Berg

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
What pet commands would you like to see
added to the game, particularly which single
command would you like to see instead of
/pet kill (which appears to be identicle to
/pet attack)

Here's an idea; how about /pet say

Give me the ability to make my pet say
what I want him to. Wouldn't do a thing
for game balance, but would add roleplaying
functionality or quest functionality.

Another:
/pet stay out of it
the pet doesn't leap in to the fight
just because I'm getting hit.

/pet no cast
Like /pet no taunt, stop wasting
time casting whatever it is you are
doing... root isn't necessary right now.

/pet cast now
Umm, root him. Now. Stop tickling
him and cast the dang root!

/pet bind here
/pet go home

A paired set of commands that establish
a return to spot and then give you the
ability to get him to go there. /pet
guard here and /pet back off are close,
but you can't have the pet follow you
out on patrol and then head back to
the guard spot right now.

/pet get ale.
This is the long awaited missing command,
promised us in the original hint book and still
broken. I want my ale, dangit!

Pente

Mason Barge

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Pente, I have to admit, one of the great charms of pets is that they
roleplay and I like the way they operate, even though it causes
gameplay challenges. The attributes of a pet are very much like a dog
and their instincts will override any command you give them. You can
tell them to sit all you want, there is no force that will keep them
from defending themselves or their master. You tell them to follow and
they will sort of follow and usually catch up to you after they stray.
They really have personalities. I like this and, from a gameplay
perspective, I think the huge power they generate needs some challenge
on the control end.

This is not to say that the hideous pathing problems in some places
should not be fixed, such as when the pet has to run a long way and
circle back to attack a mob right in front of you.

"Pet fetch ale" on the other hand, would be a lot of fun.

--
"If this is tea, please bring me some coffee. If this is coffee,
please bring me some tea."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dwayne Webb

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00

Not to mention the fact that if its master dies the poor pet, in its
grief, has no choice but to slash itself for 32000 points of damage and
end its own existence. It's no wonder you can't keep a pet from getting
uppity when its owner takes damage!.

--
Dwayne
dwa...@holisticgamer.com

In article <8kcluo$lnl$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, mason...@my-deja.com says...

Vemund Ally

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
you forgot something...

/pet slay the all gms in zone

If this is a necro pet, they might just allow this as it is per Vision(tm)
ok.

"Lance Berg" <emp...@success.net> wrote in message

Lance Berg

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00

Mason Barge wrote:

> Pente, I have to admit, one of the great charms of pets is that they
> roleplay and I like the way they operate, even though it causes
> gameplay challenges. The attributes of a pet are very much like a dog
> and their instincts will override any command you give them. You can
> tell them to sit all you want, there is no force that will keep them
> from defending themselves or their master. You tell them to follow and
> they will sort of follow and usually catch up to you after they stray.
> They really have personalities. I like this and, from a gameplay
> perspective, I think the huge power they generate needs some challenge
> on the control end.

I agree, one of the most fascinating parts of the game to
me are the pets; something that I haven't really seen in
any other game, P&P or CRPG. They have a limited personality,
quirks you have to deal with, and give you abilities that
aren't under your certain control.

I am not necessarily saying that I want to kill that uncertainty,
what bugs me is that there are commands in the game that
are duplicated by other commands, and I was trying to come
up with some substitutes that would have some real function.
Perhaps the ones I suggested are _too_ useful, but I thought
they'd be a start on a dialog that might introduce one or
two that wouldn't change the balance equation but would
give us more RP fun.

/pet roll over
(graphic)
/pet play dead
( no, too useful )
/pet good doggie
(graphic)

> This is not to say that the hideous pathing problems in some places
> should not be fixed, such as when the pet has to run a long way and
> circle back to attack a mob right in front of you.
>
> "Pet fetch ale" on the other hand, would be a lot of fun.

Here's anothere thought; what if your pet would drink
beverages you gave him? Get him toasted and watch him
weave back and forth, bobbing up and down like.... hey,
wait a minute, he already does that! Hey, maybe the
/pet get ale command works, but he's downing them
himself!

Pente

Lance Berg

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00

DaFox wrote:

> Us necro's Voice Graft spell lets us do just that and much easier than using a
> /command. Simply cast the spell on your pet (bystanders get no message other than you
> cast a spell), target your pet and /say, your pet speaks. Then target yourself and
> /say for yourself to speak. Only downside is that the pet's speech is like:
> Kabar00 says "Hi... I seem to have misplaced my skin, can I have yours?" <00 add to
> pets name>
> Beside just fun and games, it can have uses... as a pet my be indifferent to an NPC
> were as you are worse..so the pet speaking key words might enable a dialog with an
> NPC for possible quest info.

That 00 is part of the pet's real name, you can use it to do things
like wave at your pet, complete with graphics. Same is true of
Mobs, they all have True names that aren't exactly the same as
their conversational names.

At any rate, my proposed /pet say would then be duplicating
a spell ability, so obviously unbalancing. Just an idea, though,
think of some for me!

/pet dance
(graphic)

Pente

mous...@yahoo.com

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
Lance Berg <emp...@success.net> wrote:

> /pet dance
> (graphic)

/pet guard here
then
/pet patrol

Pet wanders from spot A to B, on guard the whole way. Given pet's wonderful
AI and ability to draw you into messes while sitting, I think this would just
about balance itself out. ("Hey, his pet's getting all the monsters!" "Yeah,
but his pet's getting ALL the monsters!" "Oh. *snicker*")

> Pente

Dan Day

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 06:59:34 -0400, Lance Berg <emp...@success.net> wrote:

>That 00 is part of the pet's real name, you can use it to do things
>like wave at your pet, complete with graphics. Same is true of
>Mobs, they all have True names that aren't exactly the same as
>their conversational names.

Yeah, I discovered that while playing around with the "Give"
action the other day. I tried to Give an item to a bat on a
hillside, and got a message something along the lines of,
"a_small_bat23 is too far away for giving".

Other bats had other unique numbers.

--
"How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the
plain Meaning of Words!"
--Samuel Adams (1722-1803), letter to John Pitts, January 21, 1776

Dan Day

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:18:18 GMT, Mason Barge <mason...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>"Pet fetch ale" on the other hand, would be a lot of fun.

I think there's a clear need for a command something like:

/pet take all this crap and run to town, sell it off to
the merchants, buy me a stack each of bandages and short beer,
bank the excess cash, then come running back here and locate
a druid to cast a SoW on me

Lance Berg

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00

Dan Day wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:18:18 GMT, Mason Barge <mason...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> >"Pet fetch ale" on the other hand, would be a lot of fun.
>
> I think there's a clear need for a command something like:
>
> /pet take all this crap and run to town, sell it off to
> the merchants, buy me a stack each of bandages and short beer,
> bank the excess cash, then come running back here and locate
> a druid to cast a SoW on me

What, no breeze?

Pente

Lance Berg

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00

Dan Day wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 06:59:34 -0400, Lance Berg <emp...@success.net> wrote:
> >
> >That 00 is part of the pet's real name, you can use it to do things
> >like wave at your pet, complete with graphics. Same is true of
> >Mobs, they all have True names that aren't exactly the same as
> >their conversational names.
>
> Yeah, I discovered that while playing around with the "Give"
> action the other day. I tried to Give an item to a bat on a
> hillside, and got a message something along the lines of,
> "a_small_bat23 is too far away for giving".
>
> Other bats had other unique numbers.

Yep, that's the trick for finding out mob truenames, so
you can amaze and annoy the uninitited. I had a
social key set up to /rude captain_bosec00 in High Keep,
for when he was down in the guard room KSing from us.
You'll find that most of the time, most mobs are number00,
unless something very common in the area. So for unique
things like bosec, you can set up a social key and get away
with it most of the time.

Pente

rmt...@netcom.com

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
In article <3969CF91...@success.net>,

Lance Berg <emp...@success.net> wrote:
>What pet commands would you like to see
>added to the game, particularly which single
>command would you like to see instead of
>/pet kill (which appears to be identicle to
>/pet attack)
>
>Another:
>/pet stay out of it
>the pet doesn't leap in to the fight
>just because I'm getting hit.

Useful for pulling.

>/pet no cast
>Like /pet no taunt, stop wasting
>time casting whatever it is you are
>doing... root isn't necessary right now.

I have wished for this when snarers join
the group.

/pet report spells
Burnout II
Inferno Shield
Infectious Cloud
Ghoulroot

Just a quick way to see what spells, good and bad, are on the pet.

Lance Berg

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

"rmt...@netcom.com" wrote:

> >Another:
> >/pet stay out of it
> >the pet doesn't leap in to the fight
> >just because I'm getting hit.
>
> Useful for pulling.

It would be, but /pet guard here a bit back from the
expected combat line does a decent job of that;
I was thinking more in terms of fighting blues in
order to get weapon training, or in situations
where your pet is near death and you are in a
fight you can handle

> >/pet no cast
> >Like /pet no taunt, stop wasting
> >time casting whatever it is you are
> >doing... root isn't necessary right now.
>
> I have wished for this when snarers join
> the group.

Well, its always possible to switch to another
pet... but I'm thinking more in terms of the
time an earth pet wastes rooting instead of
actually fighting in a static situation. More I
think about it, though, this would be a pretty
limited usefulness command; what pet besides
an earth elemental would you want to stop
casting? Well, quite frequently it would be
convenient for the air pet to remain visible...

> /pet report spells
> Burnout II
> Inferno Shield
> Infectious Cloud
> Ghoulroot
>
> Just a quick way to see what spells, good and bad, are on the pet.

Yeah, I'd really like this one. Only find out about
them when they vanish, unless I pay a _lot_ of attention
to the blue lines and decode the various messages
to figure out that "Silentbob looks more agile" means
he has just had Catfeet cast on him...

Pente

rmt...@netcom.com

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
In article <39758A48...@success.net>,

Lance Berg <emp...@success.net> wrote:

>"rmt...@netcom.com" wrote:
>
>> >Another:
>> >/pet stay out of it
>> >the pet doesn't leap in to the fight
>> >just because I'm getting hit.
>>
>> Useful for pulling.
>
>It would be, but /pet guard here a bit back from the
>expected combat line does a decent job of that;

Sometimes. Due to a poor connection I was soloing
in Ill Omen. The pet was guarding near the FM zone
safe from wanderers and trains. I was pulling to it
using either burst of flame or malise depending how
much distance and time there was to utilize. If I
got hit the pet would begin coming. This often
placed the fight in direct conflict paths. Since
the designers dislike soloing it is unlikely to be
added.

>I was thinking more in terms of fighting blues in
>order to get weapon training, or in situations
>where your pet is near death and you are in a
>fight you can handle

True enough. My weapon skills stay pretty high as
I go point blank with bolt spells to avoid misses.
My dodge skill is horrible although my defense has
started to improve.

>> >/pet no cast
>> >Like /pet no taunt, stop wasting
>> >time casting whatever it is you are
>> >doing... root isn't necessary right now.
>>
>> I have wished for this when snarers join
>> the group.
>
>Well, its always possible to switch to another
>pet... but I'm thinking more in terms of the
>time an earth pet wastes rooting instead of
>actually fighting in a static situation. More I

Changing pets takes time and mana. Conjure pet,
weapons and then buffs. A non-casting pet with
lots of HP has utility. Party members often
come and go with frequency. Many mages research the
earth pet first when attaining a new spell level.
Groups hate earth pets when runners can be safely
dealt with. Research failures can leave you with
poor options when grouped. This would help promote
grouping.

>think about it, though, this would be a pretty
>limited usefulness command; what pet besides
>an earth elemental would you want to stop
>casting? Well, quite frequently it would be

Only the earth pet but that is enough.

>convenient for the air pet to remain visible...

By the time I needed an air pet for fighting
casters I had see invis.

>> /pet report spells
>> Burnout II
>> Inferno Shield
>> Infectious Cloud
>> Ghoulroot
>>
>> Just a quick way to see what spells, good and bad, are on the pet.
>
>Yeah, I'd really like this one. Only find out about
>them when they vanish, unless I pay a _lot_ of attention
>to the blue lines and decode the various messages
>to figure out that "Silentbob looks more agile" means
>he has just had Catfeet cast on him...

Between guild, group, ooc, auction and shouts things scroll
fast. I have various things filtered but reading everything
is difficult.