Shaman pets

John M Clancy

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
SHAMAN PETS CONSIDERED, JULY 26, 2000
Source: Everquest Gameplay Forum.

>>Is there any plans in the near future or not at all to have
>>the Shaman feel a little better about there pets at 55. They
>>seem to be a waste and I know many Shaman have felt,
>>why cast the pet if it is going to die within the first ten minutes
>>against any high mob. A little incentive would be nice. I
>>understand we are not the pet type class but why gives us
>>a pet when we accomplish absolutely nothing.
>
>Guys, the wolf is meant to be more of a companion than a pet.
>It's certainly not meant to be a major factor of how the class
>stacks up from a balance perspective. Shaman pets will never
>be near mage or necro pets in power. I'll look into the mana
>requirement, but pet strength sounds proper.
>
>- Gordon

Oh! I get it! Its supposed to be like most trade skill items and
Alcohol Tolerance, just there to add color/flavor/atmosphere. Its
not really meant to me useful or anything. Silly me.

Sergey Dashevskiy

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
In article <8ln46m$76k$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>,
jmcl...@ix.netcom.com says...

I guess to add to the spirit of the companion type pet Verant should
have upgraded the effect of the level 55 shaman pet from wolf to goat.
At least that would add to some fun roleplaying, and people would
actually consider the extra mana cost to summon a goat...
Bah... Giving shamans a weaker pet than SKs is not even insulting any
more. I can't find the proper description for what it is in my poor
vocabulary.

<disclaimer> notice, I didn't say that SKs get too strong of a pet, I
said that shamans get too week of a pet. I'm not whining for an SK nerf

--
Vedun, 30th tank mage
Xirin, 31st retired druid

Ron

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Hey, as a druid I got a bunch of these Charm Animal type spells just wasting
space in my spellbook. I'll bet there are a bunch of spells out there with
little or no value.

Ron

John M Clancy <jmcl...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

hughes

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
> <disclaimer> notice, I didn't say that SKs get too strong of a pet, I
> said that shamans get too week of a pet. I'm not whining for an SK nerf

While your at it increase the enchanter pets to be inline with the
others. A whole bunch of problems come directly from verant trying to
completely rebalance the game in the expansion. Which of course leads to
lots of classes getting no stronger in 10 levels. They also really fubared
the risk to reward in kunark zones. The kunark zones are far far more
dangerous and have a much less chance of reward than similiar zones on
antonica. On the bright side in the several years it will take them to
realize and correct this, we should pretty much lose most of the people on
the servers and thus bring them down to a much more manageable size . I do
hope that they do keep enough of a subsriber base to continue though. It was
a really great game and with some really major reverses and complete changes
could be again :)

Sergey Dashevskiy

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
That's not quite what I was talking about. I do know that enchanters'
pets are pretty weak, but they progress at least.
If you compare the last pre-50 shaman pet with the level 55 one, you
will see that the maximum level of the pet raised by ONE level, and the
cost of casting it raised by 300. That makes it the most expensive pet
in the game to cast, as well as the lowest level of all post-50 pets.
It's _always_ green to caster, due to which it can't even hit the
targets.
Umm, did I mention that it's the only pet that does not dual wield? That
alone reduces its damage by 40% as compared to any pet of the same
level.

In article <h7Gf5.7392$Kb5....@news2.mco>, hugh...@bellsouth.net
says...

TwoHead

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Errr, so you think shaman pets should be as powerful as Mage/Necro
pets? Those classes use the pet to tank while they stand away from
battle. Maybe its the fact that I've played an Enchanter as well as a
Shaman and so learned how to use a low hp pet to fullest advantage, but
I don't see the problem. If you make your pet take the brunt of the
damage for too long it dies, if you learn how to keep your pet alive you
increase your own life expectancy.

Case in point, in my current battles with my shaman I've found that when
taking on very strong mobs I need to make sure I don't speed up my pet,
as he overtaunts with too many attacks and I can't keep the mob on me.
Its a fine line between keeping the pet alive to get damage out of him
without taking so much damage that I get myself killed. If my pets were
strong enough to stand up and tank for me for entire battles I'd be just
standing up every once in a while to apply dots and ending fights at
full hp and mana. Doesn't sound very balanced when compared to other
classes to me (well maybe necros, heh).

Gordon's quote actually sums it up quite well, they are companions.
This means rather than being a primary tool, they are secondary to the
Shaman himself when it comes to taking a beating and dealing damage.

th

Sergey Dashevskiy

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
In article <397F3AEB...@2omar2world2.com>, om...@2omar2world2.com
says...

> Errr, so you think shaman pets should be as powerful as Mage/Necro
> pets?

No. Let me rephrase it. FUCK NO! Mage/Neco pets do more damage, have
more hitpoints, dual wield, double attack, bash, kick. They are higher
level than shaman pets. Some of them cast useful stuff. As it should be.
Shaman pets (there's only a problem with the level 55 spell, not others)
cost more mana, do a lot less damage and are lower level (which means
that they are missing a lot as well)

> Those classes use the pet to tank while they stand away from
> battle. Maybe its the fact that I've played an Enchanter as well as a
> Shaman and so learned how to use a low hp pet to fullest advantage, but
> I don't see the problem. If you make your pet take the brunt of the
> damage for too long it dies, if you learn how to keep your pet alive you
> increase your own life expectancy.

The point is not that shaman pet can't tank. The problem is that the
pets are very low level, so even when there's a warrior tanking, pet
dies too often from ripostes and extra mobs (before they are mezzed or
whatever)

> Case in point, in my current battles with my shaman I've found that when
> taking on very strong mobs I need to make sure I don't speed up my pet,
> as he overtaunts with too many attacks and I can't keep the mob on me.
> Its a fine line between keeping the pet alive to get damage out of him
> without taking so much damage that I get myself killed. If my pets were
> strong enough to stand up and tank for me for entire battles I'd be just
> standing up every once in a while to apply dots and ending fights at
> full hp and mana. Doesn't sound very balanced when compared to other
> classes to me (well maybe necros, heh).
>
> Gordon's quote actually sums it up quite well, they are companions.

Umm, change the graphic to goats then :)
And 850 mana is a bit too much for summonning a companion that will die
in a few fights.

> This means rather than being a primary tool, they are secondary to the
> Shaman himself when it comes to taking a beating and dealing damage.

Or shaman has tanks in a group to take a beating and deal damage. Pet
needs to be able to help at least a bit.
Level 55 specific pet costs a lot more mana than the last pre-50 one,
and is ONE level higher.

> th
>
> John M Clancy wrote:
> >
> > SHAMAN PETS CONSIDERED, JULY 26, 2000
> > Source: Everquest Gameplay Forum.

> > >Guys, the wolf is meant to be more of a companion than a pet.
> > >It's certainly not meant to be a major factor of how the class
> > >stacks up from a balance perspective. Shaman pets will never
> > >be near mage or necro pets in power. I'll look into the mana
> > >requirement, but pet strength sounds proper.
> > >
> > >- Gordon
> >
> > Oh! I get it! Its supposed to be like most trade skill items and
> > Alcohol Tolerance, just there to add color/flavor/atmosphere. Its
> > not really meant to me useful or anything. Silly me.

Dan Day

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:24:27 -0700, TwoHead <om...@2omar2world2.com> wrote:
>Errr, so you think shaman pets should be as powerful as Mage/Necro
>pets? Those classes use the pet to tank while they stand away from

>battle. Maybe its the fact that I've played an Enchanter as well as a
>Shaman and so learned how to use a low hp pet to fullest advantage, but
>I don't see the problem. If you make your pet take the brunt of the
>damage for too long it dies, if you learn how to keep your pet alive you
>increase your own life expectancy.
>
>Case in point, in my current battles with my shaman I've found that when
>taking on very strong mobs I need to make sure I don't speed up my pet,
>as he overtaunts with too many attacks and I can't keep the mob on me.
>Its a fine line between keeping the pet alive to get damage out of him
>without taking so much damage that I get myself killed. If my pets were
>strong enough to stand up and tank for me for entire battles I'd be just
>standing up every once in a while to apply dots and ending fights at
>full hp and mana. Doesn't sound very balanced when compared to other
>classes to me (well maybe necros, heh).
>
>Gordon's quote actually sums it up quite well, they are companions.
>This means rather than being a primary tool, they are secondary to the
>Shaman himself when it comes to taking a beating and dealing damage.

Well said.

Tell you what, those Shamans who are complaining about
their pets are more than welcome to give them to us
Paladins, who would appreciate them.

--
"How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the
plain Meaning of Words!"
--Samuel Adams (1722-1803), letter to John Pitts, January 21, 1776

Jeremy Music

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Sergey Dashevskiy <xi...@tcimet.net> wrote:

>Level 55 specific pet costs a lot more mana than the last pre-50 one,
>and is ONE level higher.

I grouped with a magician the other day who had a level 53 air pet. My
highest level pet spell is the 51 earth, and I couldn't use earth so I was
using my 49 air pet.

Not a whole lot of difference. His hit for 4 more points max than mine did.
Seemed to maybe have a couple hundred more hp, but that could have just been
the result of his being higher level than mine. My 51 earth pet would match
it for damage output easily. Now I'm not so eager to get the 53 pet
anymore. :)

Even worse, in my opinion, is that magician pets after 49 aren't improved
with the magician focus items. Gyp.

http://wyld.qx.net/~rezo/Sterling
re...@lords.com

Mtene

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
Just like Eye of Zoom and summon staff of tracing are uber useful.

--
Remove '(Your Pants)' to reply by email
The War on Drugs shattered the Hammer of Justice when it was used to crack

Sergey Dashevskiy

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
In article <6APf5.12874$5N1.4...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"Mtene" <pixierancher@(Your Pants)hotmail.com> says...

> Just like Eye of Zoom and summon staff of tracing are uber useful.

I'm wondering. Is this a joke that went over my head, or do people
really not see the difference between the importance of a pet and the
importance of Eye of Zomm?
Why is it that when I bring up valid arguments about pets, people tell
me "so what, I have a few useless spells too"? Am I the only one that
sees the difference? Or do people see it too, but they still post it
from infinite boredom?

Lyion

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
Thats just it, the Shaman are NOT a pet class. Their pet is an
addition like the Enchanter one.

If you feel real bad, take a peek at the 54 Cleric Hammer Pet
spell, and suddenly your doggie will look a lot better.

Shamans pets are fine, the class still is in the top 3 for power
and since they are NOT a pet class, they should not get a pet
even remotely similar to a Nec or Mage.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Dorian Brytestar (KoTC)

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
Look to the Clerical hammer animation spell if you think the shaman pet
spell is useless =)

The hammer is just cute!

Dorian Brytestar
51st lvl High Elf Cleric of Tunare
Povar
http://www.knightsofthecreed.com
(need flash installed to view correctly)

Adar

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

"Lyion" <rscottN...@senco.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Thats just it, the Shaman are NOT a pet class. Their pet is an
> addition like the Enchanter one.

No problem. Enchanters get screwed with pets in the expansion, too; of
course, unlike shamans, their spell list has *decent* spells post-54, but
that's another story. Fix us both.

> If you feel real bad, take a peek at the 54 Cleric Hammer Pet
> spell, and suddenly your doggie will look a lot better.

Well, gee, if I compare my pet to a level 1 druid, he'll look a lot better
too. What's your point?

> Shamans pets are fine, the class still is in the top 3 for power
> and since they are NOT a pet class, they should not get a pet
> even remotely similar to a Nec or Mage.

No problem.

Now why does the level 60 shadowknight pet (AKA the L44 necro pet) do the
same damage as the 55 shaman pet, WITHOUT dual wielding?

Nuuk Lea'R (E'ci)

Alasdair Allan

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Adar <ad...@spamaway.mindspring.com> wrote
> "Lyion" <rscottN...@senco.com.invalid> wrote

> > Shamans pets are fine, the class still is in the top 3 for power
> > and since they are NOT a pet class, they should not get a pet
> > even remotely similar to a Nec or Mage.
> >

> No problem.
>
> Now why does the level 60 shadowknight pet (AKA the L44 necro pet) do the
> same damage as the 55 shaman pet, WITHOUT dual wielding?

Because the level 55 Shaman pet *is* a level 44 Necro pet.

Without Dual Wield.

--
Alasdair Allan, Ibrox, Glasgow |England - Country where Marx developed
x-st...@null.net | the basis of Communism