Do weapons really matter for pets?

Glenn Kenney

Feb 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/19/00
I'm a level 10 magician. I have been experimenting with giving my pet
weapons. I use a water pet. There seems to be no difference in the damage
he does with or without a wep. I've given him 2H staffs and 1H swords and
clubs (maces) and he always seems to hit around 8 to 14 (same as without
weps).

Am I doing something wrong here to get him to use the wep.

Mason Barge

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
I'm thouroughly with the "no improvement by arming" school of thought, and I've
watched it closely -- usually I will let a pet fight a few rounds, then arm it
and record the results.

I think there might be a difference with air pets, or might not, but I'm pretty
sure there's none with earth/water pets. The frequency and damage of hits does
not appear to change with the provision of summoned or fine steel weapons.

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me
some coffee."
- Abraham Lincoln

JackiePrice

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
A pet will not dualweild unless holding two weapons (for some reason NPC's
seem unlikely to dual weild hand to hand.) This is a BIG drawback at higher
levels. Level 49 pets will dual weild about 60% of the time if given a pair
of weapons (A monk with maxed dual weild at 252 will manage about 50% of the
time).

"Glenn Kenney" <wgke...@home.com> wrote in message
> I guess the one difference is for lower level pets that do not have a
magic
> attack. Giving them a magic (summoned) weapon allows them to attack mobs
> that require that. But I agree. Even at level 8 I see no diff. Do your
> pets dual wield. Does that require a wep?
>

> Dan Corban <dco...@officemax.com> wrote in message
> > At level 31 I have noticed very little difference whether using weapons
or
> > not. Without weapons, they simply bite, kick (? no feet ?), and cast for
> > what appears to be the same amount of damage. Since weapon delay was
> removed
> > from pet weapon wielding, there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason to
> > equip pets with weapons. Mages can easily summon weapons of their
choice,
> so
> > unless they are in a hurry to get moving, they might as well just summon
> > couple of their favorite weapon and hand them over just in case there is
> > something that we are missing.
> >
> > "Glenn Kenney" <wgke...@home.com> wrote in message

> > -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Sang K. Choe

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 07:54:20 GMT, "Glenn Kenney" <wgke...@home.com>
wrote:

>ok, i think i've got it. If the wepon damage is less than the default then
>the default occurs. So you only get real benefit from a wep if it produces
>more damage than the default. Make sense, thanks

Yep, since pets are considered to be NPC, if this wasn't the case,
giving a pair of rusty short swords to something like an ice giant
would result in him smacking you for 15's instead of 115's.

-- Sang.

Mason Barge

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
>A pet will not dualweild unless holding two weapons (for some reason NPC's
>seem unlikely to dual weild hand to hand.)

Yes they will. Mage pets begin double hitting at level 34 and, as far as I can
tell, do not gain any additional % double hits from 34-49 by arming them.

This is using Burnout, but I always use it and can see no reason NOT to use it,
at least after level 20 or so.

JackiePrice

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
> Yes they will. Mage pets begin double hitting at level 34 and, as far as
I can
> tell, do not gain any additional % double hits from 34-49 by arming them.
>
> This is using Burnout, but I always use it and can see no reason NOT to
use it,
> at least after level 20 or so.

Doublehitting is NOT dualweilding. They are separate skills, and will
happen concurrently. Basically, yes they will doublehit. Give them weapons
they will triple or quad hit.

Mason Barge

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
>Doublehitting is NOT dualweilding. They are separate skills, and will
>happen concurrently. Basically, yes they will doublehit. Give them weapons
>they will triple or quad hit.

I have trouble even understanding what you're saying. If you mean kicking and
bashing, yes, give them weapons and they will triple and quad hit. Don't give
them weapons and they will triple and quad hit. No difference in frequency.

If you mean you will get a "pierce pierce hit hit" message, I beg to differ.
Never seen it, anyway, and I watch it reasonably closely.

Hippie Ramone

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
Mason Barge <mason...@aol.comnospam> wrote:
:>Doublehitting is NOT dualweilding. They are separate skills, and will

:>happen concurrently. Basically, yes they will doublehit. Give them weapons
:>they will triple or quad hit.

: I have trouble even understanding what you're saying. If you mean kicking and
: bashing, yes, give them weapons and they will triple and quad hit. Don't give
: them weapons and they will triple and quad hit. No difference in frequency.

: If you mean you will get a "pierce pierce hit hit" message, I beg to differ.
: Never seen it, anyway, and I watch it reasonably closely.

Using my L44 necro pet, if he doesn't have 2 weapons it will not
get quads, i.e. slash slahs pierce pierce, bash or kick. Overall
a good pet, buffed with burnout or Augement should be getting 3-4
hand attacks plus a kick or a bash in per round.

JackiePrice

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
> I have trouble even understanding what you're saying. If you mean kicking
and
> bashing, yes, give them weapons and they will triple and quad hit. Don't
give
> them weapons and they will triple and quad hit. No difference in
frequency.

> If you mean you will get a "pierce pierce hit hit" message, I beg to
differ.
> Never seen it, anyway, and I watch it reasonably closely.

There are two skills most melee classes, and all pets, get. Dual Weild, and
Double attack. They are separate. Dual Weild determines how often you hit
with your second hand, your left hand. Double attack is factored in
afterward...on every attack you make with either hand, you have a chance of
double attacking, or attacking twice in a row. As a monk, that means I
USUALLY hit 3 times, often 4, at once in combat, and then still kick. All
pets get both of these skills, however, no NPC, including pets, will dual
weild unless they are holding a weapon in their off hand. They WILL double
attack, but they will not dual weild without a weapon in their second hand.
Not including bash or kick, a 49 pet will get 1 or 2 attacks per round
unarmed (usually 2). Add a pair of weapons and they will frequently hit for
3-4 attacks per round.

Billy Shields

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
JackiePrice <nos...@NOSPAM.ca> wrote:
:> I have trouble even understanding what you're saying. If you mean kicking

Necro pets get dual wield at 29. I'm not sure when magician pets
get it. Shaman pets don't get it at all.

All pets get double attack.

Robert Megee

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
I tried an experiment. I took the same earth pet and attacked the
same spawn 10 time. the first 5 times I let the pet attack it without
weapons. the next 5 times my pet had two summoned daggers.
On average, the spawn died in about half the time with the weaponed
pet. the damage per minute was about 40 percent higer with the
weapons. My pet was a level 24 magicians earth pet. I let the pet do
all the attacking. I know there are some differences in the spawns
from time to time, but I don't think there is enough to account for
this. I'm convinced that giving my pet weapons helps. don't know if
it is duel wield or duel attack, but it emperically helps.

Robert
On 22 Feb 2000 07:27:27 GMT, Billy Shields <ran...@opera.iinet.net.au>

Mason Barge

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
> My pet was a level 24 magicians earth pet

That was my post you were responding to, not JP's. Please understand, I can't
comment on pets at that level unless I start a new mage. I have heard a lot of
stories, very credibly stated, about enormous gains in damage under level 34,
and apparently the lower the level the greater the increase.

My questions come after level 34, when you will summon near-maximum pets more
often due to use of focus objects. It has been my experience that weapons will
not increase the maximum damage or frequency of a pet's attacks.

I do use them, mind you -- after you get the dagger of symbols (39?) there is
also a chance to buff the pet (although I don't know that this works either),
especially the +5 or +10 save magic, which might prevent a pet from being
charmed (and if this has ever happened to you, you will know how ugly it is).

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Another example. 46 rogue and 38 bard killing Bashers. Every time we
pulled a Basher with sword and shield, we beat the piss out of it, and
end the fight with about 3-4 bubbles of hp, give or take. Every time the
Basher would dual wield, and the rogue's disarm failed, we'd zone with
1-2 bubbles each
That reminds me, if you are a newbie, and you see melee type parties
killing your guards and not "guarding" for you, just feed your guards
with rusty weapons. You will slow down the guard killing quite a bit

In article <38bc9d46....@news.onramp.net>, rme...@onramp.net
says...

Jeremy Music

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Mason Barge <mason...@aol.comnospam> wrote:
>> My pet was a level 24 magicians earth pet
>
>That was my post you were responding to, not JP's. Please understand, I can't
>comment on pets at that level unless I start a new mage. I have heard a lot of
>stories, very credibly stated, about enormous gains in damage under level 34,
>and apparently the lower the level the greater the increase.
>
>My questions come after level 34, when you will summon near-maximum pets more
>often due to use of focus objects. It has been my experience that weapons will
>not increase the maximum damage or frequency of a pet's attacks.
>
>I do use them, mind you -- after you get the dagger of symbols (39?) there is
>also a chance to buff the pet (although I don't know that this works either),
>especially the +5 or +10 save magic, which might prevent a pet from being
>charmed (and if this has ever happened to you, you will know how ugly it is).

Or feared.

Guard Shiznak says, "You will not mess with me anymore Jonartik."
Jonartik runs away in fear.
Guard Shiznak hits YOU for 86 points of damage!
Guard Shiznak hits YOU for 88 points of damage!
Guard Shiznak hits YOU for 84 points of damage!
Guard Shiznak hits YOU for 84 points of damage!

Wyld Knight - wyld.qx.net 3333
http://wyld.qx.net/~rezo
re...@lords.com

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
A bit off topic. I saw a great screenshot. In the text area it says:
fire giant warrior says "You will not evade me Magi_Rokyl00"

In article <slrn8bqcf...@darkstar.qx.net>, re...@darkstar.qx.net
says...

K. Laisathit

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
In article <20000301082610...@ng-dc1.aol.com>,

Mason Barge <mason...@aol.comnospam> wrote:

>That was my post you were responding to, not JP's. Please understand, I
>can't comment on pets at that level unless I start a new mage. I have
>heard a lot of stories, very credibly stated, about enormous gains in
>damage under level 34, and apparently the lower the level the greater the
>increase.

I have a different experience with a teen enchanter. I gave the
pet *one* dagger and, whoops, he didn't bash any more. One
possibility that might explain the difference is the prospect
of dual wield. I understand that pets aren't supposed to dual
wield until 29. So, prior to this point, giving the pet two
weapons shouldn't make a difference. However, would it be
possible that dual wield actually kicks in much earlier than
what was indicated by Verant? If Verant is being misleading
about pets, it wouldn't be the first time.

Later...