Affliction (and presumably other Shaman DOT's) nerfed?

Stephen B Laird

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
My favorite secondary character is a 20th lvl shaman, and I thought I'd log
him on this morning to see how the new patches affected him. I don't kite,
so I actually expected to be pleasantly surprised by the effect of my DOT's.
So I find a nice, safe spot in E Karana next to the bridge, and slap an
Affliction on myself to see how much the damage was improved by the extra
duration. So I hit myself with it and watch my life slowly tick away,
expecting it to do at least a little bit more damage than the 135 (for 75
mana, over two minutes at 5 damage a tick). It seems like it's only doing 3
damage a tick, and then I get the "Your fever breaks" message and look up at
my health. I took 90 damage. Hmm, I try it again figuring there was maybe
some kind of partial resist, 90 damage again. And the third time as well.

I'm not going to be an alarmist, as I think this could possibly be the
result of the changes to spells in PvP+ combat, where all damage by spells
to PC's was reduced by 20%. Can anyone help on this?

--Steve

Gladimir

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Yes, the reduced damage is a result of the PvP changes, and Affliction has
always done 3 points per tick.

- Gladimir, Barbarian Shaman of Clan Blackwatch, Cazic-Thule
- Baphomet, Troll Warrior, Cazic-Thule
- Gladimir, Erudite Enchanter, Innoruuk

EQaddict

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Actually, a long time ago it did 3 damage per tick, then on the last DoT
change it went UP to 5 damage per tick. They must have dropped it back to 3.

Cpl. Punishment

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
The damage increase is due to a longer duration, but the damage it's self was
reduced in PvP situations so self casting is no longer a valid test of DOT
effects.

Alasdair Allan

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Stephen B Laird <sla...@together.net> wrote

> My favorite secondary character is a 20th lvl shaman, and I thought I'd
log
> him on this morning to see how the new patches affected him. I don't
kite,
> so I actually expected to be pleasantly surprised by the effect of my
DOT's.
> So I find a nice, safe spot in E Karana next to the bridge, and slap an
> Affliction on myself to see how much the damage was improved by the extra
> duration. So I hit myself with it and watch my life slowly tick away,
> expecting it to do at least a little bit more damage than the 135 (for 75
> mana, over two minutes at 5 damage a tick). It seems like it's only
doing 3
> damage a tick, and then I get the "Your fever breaks" message and look up
at
> my health. I took 90 damage. Hmm, I try it again figuring there was
maybe
> some kind of partial resist, 90 damage again. And the third time as
well.

> I'm not going to be an alarmist, as I think this could possibly be the
> result of the changes to spells in PvP+ combat, where all damage by
spells
> to PC's was reduced by 20%. Can anyone help on this?

According to Verant, casting on players (i.e. PvP) only incurrs 60% of the
NPC DoT damage. Therefore casting on yourself is a PvP action so you only
incur 60% of the damage.

I've used Envenomed Bolt on greater kobolds which I rooted and it takes
them to below half just as before. If it did the same damage as it now
does on myself then they would have over half health remaining.

--
Alasdair Allan, Ibrox, Glasgow |England - Country where Marx developed
x-st...@null.net | the basis of Communism