Who want the Ebony Blade Fixed?

1 view

Joe

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Ba'klomp thinks this is the way to get Brad's attention. Here's
hoping.....

Brad, the Ebony Blade makes trains. Please fix the proc breaking
other spells. Or give it a new specific proc that avoids the whole
snare issue. Either straight direct damage, a stun effect, or
whatever would work. Thanks.

Ba'Klomp hope you were right :-) But, not holding my breath. How
about it Brad?

-Joe

Joseph M Leonard

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
I would be using one instead of an electrum bladed wakizashi if it
weren't for the crappy proc. When I want to root a damn mob I will cast
it thank you very much.

Joe
Maelfyn Sinifay 50th ranger Fennin Ro
Member of Guardians of Darkness

dstep

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:28:35 GMT, Somewhe...@lonesome.com (Joe)
wrote:

>Ba'klomp thinks this is the way to get Brad's attention. Here's
>hoping.....
>
>Brad, the Ebony Blade makes trains. Please fix the proc breaking
>other spells. Or give it a new specific proc that avoids the whole
>snare issue. Either straight direct damage, a stun effect, or
>whatever would work. Thanks.

I heard a rumor from a ranger that it will be being
changed at some point to just "snare" which would
be nice. That might just be a rumor though. That being said..

Well it took Brad like 9 months to notice that Alchemy
was broken although we all new it was and posted
about that here a lot and fedback in game and bugged it
(does that make you feel like feedbacking and bugging things
in game gets things done? Sure does not make me feel that way)
So maybe in 9 months after Brad makes a post saying;
"no the ebony blade does not do that!"
he will later say "oh i was wrong it does."

>Ba'Klomp hope you were right :-) But, not holding my breath. How
>about it Brad?
>
>-Joe

Someday a company will make a game like everquest
but it will be far better because the people who make the
game will actually play it. They will see problems like this
before we do, and fix them. Everquest will never be
like that they just don't seem to care. They talk it up,
they act like they are proud of their baby but their
track record shows otherwise.

^Arakiel^

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
>I heard a rumor from a ranger that it will be being
>changed at some point to just "snare" which would
>be nice. That might just be a rumor though. That being said..

How is that nice? I'd rather have it proc just the DD than Snare. If you
rely on a sword proc to stop trains, you're -not- a good Ranger. I have no
problem snaring, having the EB proc, and snaring again if needed. By the
time the mob is running, the DD and 2-5 second root is more than enough time
to have the mob nuked.

>Well it took Brad like 9 months to notice that Alchemy
>was broken although we all new it was and posted
>about that here a lot and fedback in game and bugged it
>(does that make you feel like feedbacking and bugging things
>in game gets things done? Sure does not make me feel that way)
>So maybe in 9 months after Brad makes a post saying;
>"no the ebony blade does not do that!"
>he will later say "oh i was wrong it does."

The easiest way to feedback is to petition to ask for game changes, and
every guide that I have talked to that is in a good mood said that they
would file it in a personal report.

>Someday a company will make a game like everquest
>but it will be far better because the people who make the
>game will actually play it. They will see problems like this
>before we do, and fix them. Everquest will never be
>like that they just don't seem to care. They talk it up,
>they act like they are proud of their baby but their
>track record shows otherwise.

Correct. Verant -really- doesn't care whether or not things get fixed,
because it's been proven that they will have customers regardless.

Olaf

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Dont have an ebony blade, but I would like one.

Root (and ensnaring roots) are just such shitty spells, it is hard to
imagine Verant thinking they 'work'. So, that being the case it seems like
a bad idea to attach it as a proc. I would like it to be replaced with a
straight DD, say 40-50point. I dont think that would imbalance it all.

olaf

Joe <Somewhe...@lonesome.com> wrote in message

> Ba'klomp thinks this is the way to get Brad's attention. Here's
> hoping.....
>
> Brad, the Ebony Blade makes trains. Please fix the proc breaking
> other spells. Or give it a new specific proc that avoids the whole
> snare issue. Either straight direct damage, a stun effect, or
> whatever would work. Thanks.

Olaf

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Snare would be ok, but not all that great. I dont know about you guys, but
when a Mob needs snaring, I snare it right up front, and if the battle is
going badly, once again before we haul ass. No point in having a proc that
snares, unless you give the wep to a class that cant snare, IMO.

olaf

dstep <ds...@babaloo.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:28:35 GMT, Somewhe...@lonesome.com (Joe)
> wrote:
>

> >Ba'klomp thinks this is the way to get Brad's attention. Here's
> >hoping.....
> >
> >Brad, the Ebony Blade makes trains. Please fix the proc breaking
> >other spells. Or give it a new specific proc that avoids the whole
> >snare issue. Either straight direct damage, a stun effect, or
> >whatever would work. Thanks.
>

> I heard a rumor from a ranger that it will be being
> changed at some point to just "snare" which would
> be nice. That might just be a rumor though. That being said..
>

> Well it took Brad like 9 months to notice that Alchemy
> was broken although we all new it was and posted
> about that here a lot and fedback in game and bugged it
> (does that make you feel like feedbacking and bugging things
> in game gets things done? Sure does not make me feel that way)
> So maybe in 9 months after Brad makes a post saying;
> "no the ebony blade does not do that!"
> he will later say "oh i was wrong it does."
>

> >Ba'Klomp hope you were right :-) But, not holding my breath. How
> >about it Brad?
> >
> >-Joe
>

> Someday a company will make a game like everquest
> but it will be far better because the people who make the
> game will actually play it. They will see problems like this
> before we do, and fix them. Everquest will never be
> like that they just don't seem to care. They talk it up,
> they act like they are proud of their baby but their
> track record shows otherwise.

nn...@gordion.se

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
wrote:

>Brad, the Ebony Blade makes trains. Please fix the proc breaking
>other spells. Or give it a new specific proc that avoids the whole
>snare issue. Either straight direct damage, a stun effect, or
>whatever would work. Thanks.

I agree, the blade is not really broken since "once upon a time" Snare
and Ensnaring Roots stacked. After the change of how spells overwrite
eachoter alot of spells suddely became "broken", atleast in the
context that they didnt work as people were used too.
For example, Bards could not break root anymore by playing Selo's
Accelerando and Root+Snare did not stack. I do not say this was wrong.

There were a bug with the root/snare issue though, if a mob broke free
from the root due to melee damage you could not recast a lower level
root (i e Snare) until the "timer" had expired. This made the Ebonies
quite useless, since they became very dangerous...one ill timed proc
and you had the mother of all trains because the mob could not be
stopped unless someone casted a higher level root (from a higher lvel
caster) like Ensnaring Roots or the equivalent.

Verant fixed that bug (most likely after Brian Hook had pointed it
out) but the Ebonies are still not as good as they were. Even though
you now can resnare, you have to cast Snare like crazy after you have
procced thereby reducing your combat efficiency greatly (provided
casting time is non-attack). And we also know that if i recast i
*will* get the "Spell does not take hold" message. If i wait 2 seconds
the mob will bolt for his buddies before i can react. I think Verant
have worked hard on the "Murphy Code" *grins*

Another problem is the "ebony fear". Unless i am with my very good
friends, most "random" groups tell me to get rid of those ebonies or i
am out. They dont want to take the risk and I surely dont want to get
accused of training and killing the entire group, wether or not it was
the Ebonies fault.

So Brad, get rid of the silly root effect, it does not work as
intended anymore, The Ebonies are great weapons even without the proc,
and i want to use them. The least thing to do could be to implement a
quest to get the proc removed. The best thing, IMHO, is to let them
proc Ebony Splinters, a new DD that gives lvl+10 damage, starts at 28
:-)

Elwene Silverleaf, Bristle
Ebony using ranger since she has spent 60 hours for those swords and
sure as hell are going to use them.

George Ruof

Dec 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/15/99
Scott <sun...@u.arizona.edu> wrote:

>I agree... snare and any necro darkness spells are infinitely more useful in a
>grouping situation. Root (with the exception of kiting) is more useful for
>soloing however.

What is root other than kiting without all the running?

--
George Ruof
gr...@pacificnet.net

Morgan

Dec 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/15/99
Billy Shields wrote:

> James Risse <Diab...@iname.com> wrote:
> : Although not intuitively true, snare is better than root. All experienced
> : players know it ... its just a fact of Norath Life. So why don't they
> : change snare to override root instead of the other way around?
>
> Have to agree with you here. Plus this might make ebony blades
> actually useful (instead of a deathwish in any reasonable dungeon).

Careful, if you make too much of a point of this, they might make damage
break Snare just like it breaks Root.

--
Morgan

James Risse

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99

Billy Shields

Scott

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99

James Risse wrote:

> Although not intuitively true, snare is better than root. All experienced
> players know it ... its just a fact of Norath Life. So why don't they
> change snare to override root instead of the other way around?

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

Sang K. Choe

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 00:13:57 -0700, Scott <sun...@u.arizona.edu>
wrote:

>I agree... snare and any necro darkness spells are infinitely more useful in a
>grouping situation. Root (with the exception of kiting) is more useful for
>soloing however.

I beg to differ.
I MUCH perfer snare to root even when soloing for one specific reason:
I know that blasting a snared critter won't potentially break snare.
Ask any druid who solo if they use snare or if they use grasping
roots. Most I've spoken with respond with "grasping roots, hmmm...did
I buy that?"

Even with the DoT nerf, I don't see many druids using root just for
this reason: root is completely unpredictable.

-- Sang.

Timothy J Parker

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99

I'm a 35th druid and I have been using root a lot since the "DoT Nerf."
DoT damage doesn't seem to increase the root's chances of breaking like
DD does. Also they fixed Snare a ways back to allow us to snare a mob
that has broken root. Used to be impossible (or only after a long wait).

Just a couple of hours ago I killed a blue griffon using root. Stacked
Drones and Immolate on it, sat down and watched; (medding benefit!).
An amazing amount of hp were stripped off the thing while it was rooted.
I would say at least half. When it finally broke, I stood up, ran back and
snared it. Finished it off with DD spells and still had half mana left.
If I had just used snare I would have had less than 1 bub when finished.
I was surprised that such a high blue stayed rooted so long. No doubt I was
lucky; I usually use this technique on low blues only.

When Root works, (heh!) it's an awesome weapon with DoTs. If it doesn't
stick you'll still be able to snare. I never used Root after level 14 until
the "DoT Nerf" went in. Now I use it more and more frequently when soloing.

Sylvain Laquiche

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
Hmmm, the fighter point of view -*when grouped in a dungeon*-

Main concern : avoid trains at all costs. Snare is good but the snared
creature still moves (terrible pain after najena's entrance or in Unrest's
ghost room for example).

Benefit of snare : the creature won't attack when it flees and bonuses from
hitting it in the back... Ok
Well, when it's rooted it will attack but I am a fighter so this is my bread
and butter to melee it, means I will still melee it (with usual hit
chances -not even talking about teleporting-even-when-snared monsters due to
lag-) and the casters will be able to shoot down the angry rooted thing
without ever creating a train. The creature will be badly hurt and flee by
walking due to very low hps left if or when she breaks root.

About your statement : there is no point in changing the spells priority
IMHO. When you group, just define roles and all will be fine. When I hunt
spectres, I never EVER use root if someone says not to do it before fight
(works AWFULLY bad with 'spook the dead'). When I hunt Icy Orcs with one
druid friend, I never root, snare is fine for their flee route is away from
their brethern aggro range. As usual just use your wit and lots of group
speak).

Sylvain / Dinthado Dagda <Les Korrigans>

QUOTE-------

Although not intuitively true, snare is better than root. All experienced
players know it ... its just a fact of Norath Life. So why don't they
change snare to override root instead of the other way around?

END OF QUOTE-------

Noslom

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
James Risse wrote in message ...

>Although not intuitively true, snare is better than root. All experienced
>players know it ... its just a fact of Norath Life. So why don't they
>change snare to override root instead of the other way around?

It's not. Root is used by a lot of us as a poor replacement for
an enchanter. Root(or one of it's upgrades) a monster off to
the side away from where you are fighting it's friend. Currently
when a snare pull comes back with 2 or more we fight the first
ones to come and just root the snared one before it gets to us.

Snare is better on the monster you are killing but you sure can't
hold a monster off you with snare unless you have a lot of room
and certainly not when your trying to kill it's friend.

Noslom

Kay-Yut Chen - remove ABC in email to reply

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:52:52 -0800, George Ruof <gr...@pacificnet.net>
wrote:

>Scott <sun...@u.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
>>I agree... snare and any necro darkness spells are infinitely more useful in a
>>grouping situation. Root (with the exception of kiting) is more useful for
>>soloing however.
>

>What is root other than kiting without all the running?

Crowd control. You can enstill a mob, pull his friend, kill his friend
(by root and nuke) and go back to kill him.

Kay-Yut

Sang K. Choe

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
wrote:

>Scott <sun...@u.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
>>I agree... snare and any necro darkness spells are infinitely more useful in a
>>grouping situation. Root (with the exception of kiting) is more useful for
>>soloing however.
>
>What is root other than kiting without all the running?

Russian roulette of kiting. ;)

-- Sang.

Billy Shields

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
Scott <sun...@u.arizona.edu> wrote:
: I agree... snare and any necro darkness spells are infinitely more useful in a
: grouping situation. Root (with the exception of kiting) is more useful for
: soloing however.

Utter nonsense. Snare is by far more useful kiting. With snare I
can cast my spells as soon as they cycle. You can't get better
than that.