Patch Message 7/10/01

Impatiens Pallida

Jul 10, 2001, 6:44:17 AM7/10/01

July 10th, 3:00 am
------------------------------

** Bug Fixes **

- The "NPC unerringly sticks on pet" AI bug
implemented in the last patch has been fixed.
This resolves a bug that occurred a short while
ago that would cause pets to be the focus for
most attacks by NPCs.

- Fixed the animation problem where an animation
played on the upper body would get stuck. This
could be seen by starting to cast a spell and
then walking forward while it was playing the
casting animation.

- Fixed a bug that wouldn't allow a player to
target an invisible PC or NPC with the F7 or F8
keys even if they had See Invisible up.

- Stacking issues with 'change form' type spells
have been corrected. Lich and Clarity will no
longer stack, nor will Spirit of Wolf and Wolf
Form.

- The bug with screenshots that some people
experienced when using 32-bit color mode should
be fixed.

** Item and Vendor Adjustments **

- Changed the forged Antonian Javelins to be
stackable.

- Gnome Skin Sleeves are now droppable and
rentable.

- Spiderling and Spider Silks are now stackable

- Spider Legs are now stackable.

- Tarnished weapons worth slightly more to the
vendors than the rusty ones.

- Reduced the weight of the monk only Black
Pantherskin armor.

- All Sheets of metal and Folded Sheets of metal
are now stackable.

- Rangers will now be able to wear Girdle of
Reflection

- There is now a vendor in Felwithe that sells
the Enchant Ores series of enchanter spells.

** Zone and Quest Changes **

- The Crazed Ghouls should be less of a problem
in Unrest.

- The Monk red headband quest should now be
available again.

- We've added a few more Yew Leaf spawns.

- Reevaluated the values of the various fish
fillets. All fish vendors should return to
normal, but they won't be paying as well for
certain fishy items. This resolves a problem
that was created with the increased value of
player made food items all over Norrath. Some
of food items were made too valuable, and
merchants were complaining to their union
leaders...

- The EverQuest Team

** Gen Con Event **

Sony Online Entertainment cordially invites you
to participate in a special online tournament of
gladiatorial combat to be held at GenCon in
August.

When: August 2-5, 2001 (pre-registration for
GenCon ends July 9, 2001)
Where: Milwaukee Wisconsin at the Midwest
Express Center

Join us and the 26,000 other people that will be
attending the nation's largest gaming
convention. Rumor has it that Lady Daegarmo,
former Event Master, will be in attendance as
well! Jump into the ring and fight for a chance
to win great Sony gear. The main event will be
held that Saturday night at 7pm, and the winner
will receive the title of "The Duelist".

EverQuest Gladiator Championship

Event Rule Sheet

Gen Con

Single Elimination 1 vs. 1 competition for 8 of
the different classes of Norrath.

Contestants WILL be given a PREGENERATED LEVEL
24 Character to battle with each other.

The Characters of each class will be EXACTLY the
same.

Gladiator Competition will be a "Pick your class
and Duel" Event. Each contestant would continue
to fight until they lose or reach 8 wins total.
If they reach 8 wins, their information is
entered into a drawing of the 8 classes to
compete in the Championship bracket.
Gladiator Championship will be held on Saturday
at 2:30PM for the Winners of each Class bracket
to determine 2 final contestants. The Winners of
Gladiator Competition will square off for the in
game Title of " The Duelist" in a bracketed
version of the 8 classes represented. The final
8 would be decided via a drawing of the
contestants for each class that had the most
wins during the Master Trials.

PRIZES Prize will be dependant on class, The
Infamous Gleaming Bastard Sword or extremely
rare Cryosilk Robe are examples of what may be
handed out. Other Prizes will be announced at
Show Time.

All Matches are Single Elimination 1 vs. 1
competition for all rounds but the final round.

Final round (to determine 1st and 2nd place)
will be best 2 out of 3 matches.

Dates: August 2-5, 2001 Gen Con Game Fair,
Milwaukee, WI

Class Schedule

Thursday August 2nd
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM Mage class competition
12:15 PM to 2:15 PM Ranger Class Competition
2:30 PM to 4:30 PM Shadow Knight class
Competition
4:45 PM to 6:00 PM Duel Lady Daegarmo and other
Event staff.

Friday August 3rd
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM Monk class competition
12:15 PM to 2:15 PM Wizard Class Competition
2:30 PM to 4:30 PM Warrior class Competition
4:45 PM to 6:00 PM Duel Lady Daegarmo and other
Event staff.

Saturday August 4th
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM Necromancer class
competition
12:15 PM to 2:15 PM Rogue Class Competition
2:30 PM to 6:00 PM Gladiator Championship
Bracket

Sunday August 5th
10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Open class choice: Last Man Standing Competition

Smithing and other trade skills just got a bit
easier.
Schedule is subject to change

Crying Freeman

Jul 10, 2001, 7:03:39 AM7/10/01

Impatiens Pallida <pallid...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> July 10th, 3:00 am
> ------------------------------

> - Spiderling and Spider Silks are now stackable

That'll help newbies in Nek forest. Although I assumed there was logic
behind not stacking spider silk.

> - Spider Legs are now stackable.

Agian, should help some newbies.

<snipped>

> - Reevaluated the values of the various fish
> fillets. All fish vendors should return to
> normal, but they won't be paying as well for
> certain fishy items. This resolves a problem
> that was created with the increased value of
> player made food items all over Norrath. Some
> of food items were made too valuable, and
> merchants were complaining to their union
> leaders...

Hmm, that means the $5 I spent on that "infinite plat" book is now useless?
;¬)

> ** Gen Con Event **
>
> Sony Online Entertainment cordially invites you
> to participate in a special online tournament of
> gladiatorial combat to be held at GenCon in
> August.
>
> When: August 2-5, 2001 (pre-registration for
> GenCon ends July 9, 2001)
> Where: Milwaukee Wisconsin at the Midwest
> Express Center

Wonder if they'll do this at the UK event?
And if they get the title, the duelist, does that then move to their primary
character? As they are playing a pre grenerated one.
Still, sounds like fun.

CF

n...@no.com

Jul 10, 2001, 7:08:47 AM7/10/01
just carry a sewing kit around with you.....
swatches and threads are stackable

Irisian

Jul 10, 2001, 7:22:03 AM7/10/01
GENCON UK: doubt that they will bother with anything.

Don't know who was at the US event last year, but I have seen the guest list
for this year. Last year we had Admiral Ozzel from the Empire Strikes Back,
and thats about it.

--

Lee.

"You hit the wrong ship!"
"It wasn't my fault!"
"Well, then whose fault was it, the torpedo's?"

- the doctor and EMH2
S.T.Voyager: Message In A Bottle

"Crying Freeman" <fre...@108dragons.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

Jason Burgoyne

Jul 10, 2001, 7:26:39 AM7/10/01

"KinS...@home.com" wrote:

> just carry a sewing kit around with you.....
> swatches and threads are stackable

Tell that to my monk...

Crying Freeman

Jul 10, 2001, 7:30:25 AM7/10/01

Irisian <freese...@xxxyx.co.uk> wrote in message

> GENCON UK: doubt that they will bother with anything.
>
> Don't know who was at the US event last year, but I have seen the guest
list
> for this year. Last year we had Admiral Ozzel from the Empire Strikes
Back,
> and thats about it.

Aye, Mr Bronson from Grange Hill...Drunk as usual I hear.

Not been to Gencon since it moved from Loughboro uni.

This year I heard they were trying to attract more of the PC gaming
community/companies. Was hoping for a Q3 event there but an EQ one would be
fine :¬)

CF

n...@no.com

Jul 10, 2001, 7:35:03 AM7/10/01
hmm a sewing kit weighs as much as a backpack (3) and can hold more silks
since you put the 2 in hit combine and there you go, swatches or thread that
stacks now it makes no difference since you can use the backpack then stack
the raw spider silks
"Jason Burgoyne" <jason.b...@bms.com> wrote in message

Crying Freeman

Jul 10, 2001, 7:34:52 AM7/10/01

KinS...@home.com <n...@no.com> wrote in message

> just carry a sewing kit around with you.....
> swatches and threads are stackable

No, really?

Sorry but telling me to carry a sewing kit is like teaching your grandmother
to suck eggs.

I meant, for all those "True" newbies that don't have the spare money to buy
a small sewing kit (armour and weapons and backpacks come first) this will
help as they sell to merchants for a few gold each, not to mention more to
players. I was one of those newbies, in Nek, having to return to Neriak
everytime I'd filled my bags with Silks.

CF

n...@no.com

Jul 10, 2001, 7:38:34 AM7/10/01
see above post,. Sewing kits can be used as backpacks!.
backpack. Weight 3 10 slot holds large items
Sewing kit Weight 3 10 slot holds giants items
i do admit the kits cost more, but for the purpose of pre patch spider silk
collecting they allowed you to stay out longer since anyone can combine
spider silk into swatches and thread

"Crying Freeman" <fre...@108dragons.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

jaZZmanian Devil

Jul 10, 2001, 7:40:50 AM7/10/01
Impatiens Pallida wrote:

> - Spiderling and Spider Silks are now stackable
>
> - Spider Legs are now stackable.

Agreed. both of these changes should be a benefit to newbies who cannot find/afford
a sewing kit.

> - Tarnished weapons worth slightly more to the
> vendors than the rusty ones.

Ah! Some *minor* motivation for people to start smithing at low levels. Cool.

> - Reduced the weight of the monk only Black
> Pantherskin armor.

WOO FUCKING HOO!!!!!!!!!! I don't have it yet, but I'm getting close, and I always
thought that damned armor just weighed too much.

> - The Crazed Ghouls should be less of a problem
> in Unrest.

I'm going to have to run over there. It will be interesting to see how they "fixed"
this. Probably much the same way as they fixed Najena. Either way, well done,
Verant. Najena was ruined for low level players for a while there. Good to see they
addressed this.

> - The Monk red headband quest should now be
> available again.

Again......... WOO FUCKING HOO!!!!! I'm still one head short. This issue was
addressed on the bug reporting forum on their home page, and I knew it was being
looked into. Glad they found the problem.

> - Reevaluated the values of the various fish
> fillets. All fish vendors should return to
> normal, but they won't be paying as well for
> certain fishy items. This resolves a problem
> that was created with the increased value of
> player made food items all over Norrath. Some
> of food items were made too valuable, and
> merchants were complaining to their union
> leaders...

I know some people will bitch about this, but it really doesn't affect me. The only
person in our regular group who does massive baking doesn't do it to sell the items
back for whatever meager profit you can make and a bad case of carpal tunnel. She
makes fish based products (and others) that are banquet sized or large meals. This
way I can carry stacks of them around Vellious for weeks without having to run back
to town for more food at inflated prices.
--
Jakugg Blackheart, Troll Warrior of 40 Campaigns
a.k.a.

Crying Freeman

Jul 10, 2001, 8:24:20 AM7/10/01

> see above post,. Sewing kits can be used as backpacks!.
> backpack. Weight 3 10 slot holds large items
> Sewing kit Weight 3 10 slot holds giants items
> i do admit the kits cost more, but for the purpose of pre patch spider
silk
> collecting they allowed you to stay out longer since anyone can combine
> spider silk into swatches and thread

OK the operative word in my post was NEWBIE.
You remember being one? not knowing all the little things like selling
bonechips to players or combining silks?
Right assuming you do...Tell me where in Neriak you can buy a Large Sewing
kit and on top of that, one for the same as a Large Backpack?
Answer...You CAN'T!
Only small sewing kits are available in neriak and although this would still
enable you to make silk swatches and threads (and then bandages, but not
cord) it is not likely of importance to a 4th level character to whom 1pp is
a fortune.

Secondly,
Large Backpack 8slots wt 3
Large Sewing kit 8slots wt3
Deluxe Sewing kit 10 slots wt4 (No longer available, I carry 1 and have 2 in
the bank)
Large (Tailored) Backpack 10slot wt3 10% wt reduction (Give me a HQ pelt and
I'll make you one)

My original comment was that these items now stacking will help the newbies
in Nek (where there are a lot of spiders but as their drops did not stack it
meant for a lot of trips back to the Neriak to sell) Of course I agree that
getting a sowing kit is the way forward as stacks of swatches sell to
players for more BUT...it's not an option at real low levels.

CF
If I wanted to know anything more about tailoring, I'd ask Lokari.

Anita L.

Jul 10, 2001, 8:30:57 AM7/10/01
Monks generally don't carry 3 stone backpacks, so it doesn't matter that a
sewing kit weighs the same. Personally, I really like that silks are
stackable now. I'll probably accumulate them now, rather than just
destroying them because they take up too many slots. Then I'll just pass 'em
along to some fledgling tailor.

Anita

"KinS...@home.com" <n...@no.com> wrote in message

Jason Burgoyne

Jul 10, 2001, 8:37:45 AM7/10/01

"KinS...@home.com" wrote:

> hmm a sewing kit weighs as much as a backpack (3)

> <snip>

> "Jason Burgoyne" <jason.b...@bms.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "KinS...@home.com" wrote:
> >
> > > just carry a sewing kit around with you.....
> > > swatches and threads are stackable
> >
> > Tell that to my monk...

Again tell this to my monk... Hint he can't hold a backpack right now and work
on 1HB. I knowI need to upgrade my armor/weapons but hunting for my bracer
quests can weight quite a bit sometimes...

And I actually can hold the backpack, I just can't loot anything after that.

Dream King

Jul 10, 2001, 8:52:40 AM7/10/01
"KinS...@home.com" <n...@no.com> wrote:

>hmm a sewing kit weighs as much as a backpack (3) and can hold more silks
>since you put the 2 in hit combine and there you go, swatches or thread that
>stacks now it makes no difference since you can use the backpack then stack
>the raw spider silks

Not to mention you don't need to buy a large sewing kit. You can get
the two slot one that only weighs .3 or .5 whichever it is. That's good
enough for making swatches away from home.

Kilmir

Jul 10, 2001, 8:00:11 AM7/10/01
My take on things:

> - The "NPC unerringly sticks on pet" AI bug
> implemented in the last patch has been fixed.
> This resolves a bug that occurred a short while
> ago that would cause pets to be the focus for
> most attacks by NPCs.

Afaik this was already fixed a while ago. Yesterday I couldn't get the Sand
Giants to stick to my water pet at all. Had to use a earth one and malise
the Giant. Even then it still wanted to go to me.

> - Fixed the animation problem where an animation
> played on the upper body would get stuck. This
> could be seen by starting to cast a spell and
> then walking forward while it was playing the
> casting animation.

Good I guess. Haven't seen or heard this one haapen.

> - Fixed a bug that wouldn't allow a player to
> target an invisible PC or NPC with the F7 or F8
> keys even if they had See Invisible up.

Ah, so that's why. I always knew /assist is buggy and slow from time to time
but f7 & f8 always worked. Last night was the other way around. The only way
to actually target a mob fast was F2 (group nr 1, main tank in this case)
and then hit my hotkeyed /assist. Good fix I hope.

> - Stacking issues with 'change form' type spells
> have been corrected. Lich and Clarity will no
> longer stack, nor will Spirit of Wolf and Wolf
> Form.

Hmm, did the Lich + Clarity give enourmous amounts of mana? If so this could
be considered a nerf.

> - The bug with screenshots that some people
> experienced when using 32-bit color mode should
> be fixed.

Good.

> ** Item and Vendor Adjustments **

> - Spiderling and Spider Silks are now stackable

WOOHOOO, *crowd goes wild!* Now THIS I can use.

> - Spider Legs are now stackable.

Great for newbies and quick corpse cleaning.

> - Tarnished weapons worth slightly more to the
> vendors than the rusty ones.

Well, at least you're now getting something back for those sharpening
stones.

> - Reduced the weight of the monk only Black
> Pantherskin armor.

I think the Monks among us would be thrilled about this one :)

> - All Sheets of metal and Folded Sheets of metal
> are now stackable.

Good!

> - There is now a vendor in Felwithe that sells
> the Enchant Ores series of enchanter spells.

This will be a grat boon to all those enchanters who didn't have the nerve
to illusion themselves into Neriak. Good change. I also think PvP servers
would benefit from this one.

> ** Zone and Quest Changes **
>
> - The Crazed Ghouls should be less of a problem
> in Unrest.

Damn ! Those buggers were exp even at my level and dropped nice amounts of
cash. At least camping a hotspot would be easier now. Not bad, not good.

> - The Monk red headband quest should now be
> available again.

Another good monk fix. Nice patch for them.

> - We've added a few more Yew Leaf spawns.

Can somebody tell me what this spell-line does?

> - Reevaluated the values of the various fish
> fillets. All fish vendors should return to
> normal, but they won't be paying as well for
> certain fishy items. This resolves a problem
> that was created with the increased value of
> player made food items all over Norrath. Some
> of food items were made too valuable, and
> merchants were complaining to their union
> leaders...

Oh well, no more easy cash for the masses.

> PRIZES Prize will be dependant on class, The
> Infamous Gleaming Bastard Sword or extremely
> rare Cryosilk Robe are examples of what may be
> handed out. Other Prizes will be announced at
> Show Time

Anyone got stats on these 2 items?

Kilmir

John Burton

Jul 10, 2001, 9:18:49 AM7/10/01
>> - There is now a vendor in Felwithe that sells
>> the Enchant Ores series of enchanter spells.
>
>This will be a grat boon to all those enchanters who didn't have the nerve
>to illusion themselves into Neriak. Good change. I also think PvP servers
>would benefit from this one.

Typical. I spent about 4 hours last night arranging a compicated scheme to
obtain this spell on Sullon Zek and first thing this morning they change it.

I know they did it *just* to annoy me.

Anita L.

Jul 10, 2001, 9:23:20 AM7/10/01
"Dream King" <morp...@cent.com> wrote in message

> Not to mention you don't need to buy a large sewing kit. You can get
> the two slot one that only weighs .3 or .5 whichever it is. That's good
> enough for making swatches away from home.

<sigh>

If you haven't played a monk, I don't think you can understand the weight
issue. I'm not going to carry a 2-slot container that weighs either .3 or
.5. Instead I'm going to carry a 6-slot, 25% weight reducing pack that
weighs 0.4 and just destroy the silks that drop in Dreadlands.

Now with the patch, I might keep a stack of them to give away.

I can't believe that folks can't see that making silks stackable is a GOOD
thing! Both for poor newbies and for monks. Or anyone else who hates to
destroy stuff that someone might be able to use. In all the groups I've been
in Dreadlands, only ONE PERSON actually made swatches with the silks. I can
guarantee you that the rest of the people are just destroying them.

Anita

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

Jul 10, 2001, 9:36:54 AM7/10/01
Impatiens Pallida <pallid...@bellsouth.net> writes:

> - Spiderling and Spider Silks are now stackable
>
> - Spider Legs are now stackable.

Wheee. :-)

--
SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend

Irisian

Jul 10, 2001, 9:17:57 AM7/10/01
He wandered around like a zombie most of the day. Although being Force
killed by DV would make anyone walk around like a zombie I guess.

Went for the first time last year, because it was local in Manchester - it
was crap, and thats probably why its moved back to London.
--

Lee.

"You hit the wrong ship!"
"It wasn't my fault!"
"Well, then whose fault was it, the torpedo's?"

- the doctor and EMH2
S.T.Voyager: Message In A Bottle

"Crying Freeman" <fre...@108dragons.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

John M Clancy

Jul 10, 2001, 9:40:29 AM7/10/01

"Kilmir" <nos...@kill.com> wrote in message news:9ieujv$i84vs$1...@ID-43884.news.dfncis.de...
> My take on things:
>

> > - We've added a few more Yew Leaf spawns.
>
> Can somebody tell me what this spell-line does?

Nothing to do with spells. The yew leaves are used as
a leather tanin for tailoring some new velious armors.
Like the Black panther armor.

Dan Harmon

Jul 10, 2001, 11:31:46 AM7/10/01

"KinS...@home.com" <n...@no.com> wrote in message

> see above post,. Sewing kits can be used as backpacks!.
> backpack. Weight 3 10 slot holds large items
> Sewing kit Weight 3 10 slot holds giants items
> i do admit the kits cost more, but for the purpose of pre patch spider
silk
> collecting they allowed you to stay out longer since anyone can combine
> spider silk into swatches and thread

Large sewing kits are back down to 8 slot. Any "large" sewing kits you
bought before the change back are now called "deluxe," and are not
purchasable (except, perhaps, if someone sold one to a vendor).

Regular backpacks have always had 8 slots.

Dan Harmon

Jul 10, 2001, 11:33:01 AM7/10/01

"Crying Freeman" <fre...@108dragons.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

Eh, if you were smart you would have INVESTED in a small sewing kit. It
would have quickly paid for itself.

Now the point is moot, of course.

Crying Freeman

Jul 10, 2001, 12:24:10 PM7/10/01

Dan Harmon <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Eh, if you were smart you would have INVESTED in a small sewing kit. It
> would have quickly paid for itself.
>
> Now the point is moot, of course.

No the point isn't moot.
FFS, I was 4th level, I'd just started playing the game, I was meant to know
that?
Jesus Christ in a Taxi cab!...You may have read all the literature you could
on the subject but I learnt the hard way, by playing the game and I assume
others did too...maybe I'm wrong, perhaps everyone, like you seem to have,
down loaded all the playing guides and bought all the hint books but I
learnt as I went up levels and met people...I didn't give tells to strangers
asking for advice, equipment or whatever I just got on with, died a lot but
got on with it sorry if that was wrong.

You may have forgotten what Newbie means, it doesn't mean that new character
you have just started, or that 15th level warrior you just passed some spare
equipment to. It means that player that is finding his/her feet in the game.
Does anyone not remember going into BlackBurrow for the first time and being
"scared" you do it now with an alt and it's a walk in the park, you still
get trains, sure but you know when to run or where to run to where your
corpse is retrievable.

CF
/em Wonders if he was the only person to play EQ for the first time without
a player guide.

Dream King

Jul 10, 2001, 12:25:22 PM7/10/01
"Anita L." <nos...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>"Dream King" <morp...@cent.com> wrote in message
>
>> Not to mention you don't need to buy a large sewing kit. You can get
>> the two slot one that only weighs .3 or .5 whichever it is. That's good
>> enough for making swatches away from home.
>
><sigh>
>
>If you haven't played a monk, I don't think you can understand the weight
>issue. I'm not going to carry a 2-slot container that weighs either .3 or
>.5. Instead I'm going to carry a 6-slot, 25% weight reducing pack that
>weighs 0.4 and just destroy the silks that drop in Dreadlands.

I have a 60 monk, actually. I can understand the weight issue. Half a
pound never killed anyone. I've carried a sewing kit the whole life of
my character, Even the large one for awhile when they nerfed it and made
it three pounds. I carry the small two-slot one now.

Lance

Jul 10, 2001, 12:22:00 PM7/10/01

"KinS...@home.com" wrote:

> see above post,. Sewing kits can be used as backpacks!.
> backpack. Weight 3 10 slot holds large items
> Sewing kit Weight 3 10 slot holds giants items
> i do admit the kits cost more, but for the purpose of pre patch spider silk
> collecting they allowed you to stay out longer since anyone can combine
> spider silk into swatches and thread
> "Crying Freeman" <fre...@108dragons.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

Although your logic holds up to a point, you'll be able to pack more silk out
now than you could before.

Follow me if you will

assume you are a real newbie who has scraped enough cash together to
buy that large sewing kit.

Examine your slots. Fully kitted out to hunt spiderlings you have

Food
Water
large Sewing kit
five empty slots

You can hold a total of 101 swatches, plus 7 silks, old way
Why? Becuase once you get that 101st one made, there is
no longer an empty kit to make more swatches in! Total
load out is 208 spiderling silks

New system, you can take a backpack and fill it with 8 stacks
of silks, that's 160 silks right there, plus you still have the five
slots open for 100 more. Presto, you can carry 260 silks without
having to do any tailoring or juggling at all, and at a substantially
lower cost.

Alternately you can eschew the pack, for the truely broke, and
gather 120 silks up at a run, flat busted. For the monks, this also
represents a -massive- savings in weight. Buy that sewing kit,
stick it in the bank, and pull it out to tailor there, where your
AC penalty for hauling out that 3 stone kit doesn't skewer you.

Although I carry 4 delux sewing kits with me, I still frequently
used to end up destroying silks because I literally didn't have
an empty kit on me to do those combines in. Further, since
I'm not a tailor, just collecting them to hand out as favors, I
really didn't care to bother with the effort. Stackable silks,
though, heck, why not? Won't throw out a stack unless I run
out of room and have nothing less valuable to chuck!

Crystaline silks off the spiders in CC worked this way before,
and I came out of just one camp there with enough on me
to allow my tailor buddy to fully kit out my necroling in
crystalline silk wear just as a lark (and incedentally to give him
several skill ups without the nuisance of reinforced leather work)

Bergh Brelltender
49 cleric, Morel Thule

Dan Day

Jul 10, 2001, 12:21:59 PM7/10/01
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 06:44:17 -0400, Impatiens Pallida
<pallid...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>- All Sheets of metal and Folded Sheets of metal
>are now stackable.

Yes!!

This will cut in half the amount of "run back
to the vendor then back to the forge" trips that
aspiring Smiths will have to make.

About time...

Dan Harmon

Jul 10, 2001, 12:44:45 PM7/10/01

"Crying Freeman" <fre...@108dragons.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

I remember very well being a newbie. It was back before there were very
many sites giving out information. A friend of mine decided he wanted to
become a tailor, and, since it sounded kinda cool, I started tailoring as
well.

THEN I went looking for tailoring sites (can't remember if Lokari's site was
up that early...4/99?) for recipes, and THEN is when I found out about
silks. Of course, back then spiderling silks were useless, but had I
started 2 years later I would have known much earlier how handy my patchwork
(well, that's what I was using it for) sewing kit actually was.

Very shortly after starting to play you came to this newsgroup, IIRC. You
took advantage of that than I did. Just because you didn't know about
sewing kits doesn't mean that NO newbie would.

I also wasn't afraid to ask questions in /ooc. Not sure why you didn't want
to do that.

I remember when a mino axe was a good weapon that went for 8p. Runed Totem
Staffs for more than 20p. That THE best weapon for my mage would have been
Staff of the Observers (seriously uber).
I remember /oocing asking if anyone sees my corpse in GFay...I died near a
big tree stump.
I remember learning what /loc was
I remember learning that if I'm going to die, for GOD's sake try to die on a
path.
I remember not knowing what Bind was...and when finding out, and not finding
it on my spell list, I /petitioned and was told by a GM that I got it at
level 14 (my cleric).
I remember getting kinda dizzy running up and down the little hills of
Butcherblock.

I remember being a newbie.

Dream King

Jul 10, 2001, 12:58:07 PM7/10/01
"Kilmir" <nos...@kill.com> wrote:

>> - Stacking issues with 'change form' type spells
>> have been corrected. Lich and Clarity will no
>> longer stack, nor will Spirit of Wolf and Wolf
>> Form.
>
>Hmm, did the Lich + Clarity give enourmous amounts of mana? If so this could
>be considered a nerf.

They did allow a necro to regain mana at a rather quick rate. I'd
consider it more of a bug fix than a nerf though since it was only
introduced in the last patch.

I wonder if they fixed Firefist and Celestial Fists not co-existing
well. I doubt it. That issue basically makes Velious monk boots
worthless to monks who have their epic.

Dan Harmon

Jul 10, 2001, 1:01:57 PM7/10/01

"Dan Day" <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message

Since they fixed the Tumpy Tonic quest so long ago, I've got to remember to
/feedback asking them to make kiola nuts stackable. Aspiring brewers would
be thrilled, as would folks who still do the TT quest for faction.

Dark Tyger

Jul 10, 2001, 1:03:14 PM7/10/01
"Kilmir" <nos...@kill.com> wrote:

>> - Fixed the animation problem where an animation
>> played on the upper body would get stuck. This
>> could be seen by starting to cast a spell and
>> then walking forward while it was playing the
>> casting animation.
>
>Good I guess. Haven't seen or heard this one haapen.

I'd seen it quite a few times. Cast SOW and start running before the
animation was finished, and my upper body would just look like I was
standing still rather than doing the run animation...

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Change "mindspring.com" to "knology.net" to email

The night is my companion...solitude my guide.

Dark Tyger

Jul 10, 2001, 1:06:06 PM7/10/01
d...@firstnethou.com (Dan Day) wrote:

Hell, it's a tremendous boon to the carrying weight problem, too. My
necro doesn't have to _crawl_ from the vendor to the forge anymore. ;p

Dark Tyger

Jul 10, 2001, 1:14:16 PM7/10/01
morp...@cent.com (Dream King) wrote:

The one I don't like is Wolf Form not stacking again with SOW. The
faster too precidence, right? Only difference it made was not having
to click off SOW to cast Wolf Form...

Crying Freeman

Jul 10, 2001, 1:17:51 PM7/10/01

> I remember very well being a newbie. It was back before there were very
> many sites giving out information. A friend of mine decided he wanted to
> become a tailor, and, since it sounded kinda cool, I started tailoring as
> well.

Yes, similar thing here but what levels are we talking?

> THEN I went looking for tailoring sites (can't remember if Lokari's site
was
> up that early...4/99?) for recipes, and THEN is when I found out about
> silks. Of course, back then spiderling silks were useless, but had I
> started 2 years later I would have known much earlier how handy my
patchwork
> (well, that's what I was using it for) sewing kit actually was.

As did I but the levels I'm talking about are 7th and lower (Nek forest is
bit naff after that)
The tailoring site I did visit was actually Lokari's (I was amused to find
after coming here)

> Very shortly after starting to play you came to this newsgroup, IIRC. You
> took advantage of that than I did. Just because you didn't know about
> sewing kits doesn't mean that NO newbie would.

Hardly, I came to this NG early this year, I started playing last february
(as I have said I level slow) by the time I came to this NG I was making
Studded leather armour.

> I also wasn't afraid to ask questions in /ooc. Not sure why you didn't
want
> to do that.

What, out of the blue just say /ooc is there anyway of carrying more spider
silks?
they didn't stack, that was it as far as I was concerned, I didn't know
enough about the game to question anything about it. .
I learnt about combining them in a sewing kit when I was about 9th or 10th
level, I was in hunting out of Qeynos then.

> I remember being a newbie.

OK, I didn't really think you wouldn't. The general hunting levels in Nek
forest is 1 - 8, after then there isn't much to keep you going (bridge
guards are constantly dead so hunting in the south part isn't all that safe)
If you were tailoring before then good on you, I wasn't (although I suppose
I could have, I had enough to pay for 10pp for a port when I was 7th or 8th)
I don't think that many newbies under 5th level know about tailoring or
think about spending the few gold they have on a small sewing kit.

CF

Jason Burgoyne

Jul 10, 2001, 1:11:33 PM7/10/01
<SNIP>

> I wonder if they fixed Firefist and Celestial Fists not co-existing
> well. I doubt it. That issue basically makes Velious monk boots
> worthless to monks who have their epic.

You bring up a good point, don't you think epic effects should stack with
EVREYTHING. If you go thought the months of planning and what not, shouldn't
your effects work with things, instead of cancelling them out (thus making only a
minur gain).

spam@theusualsuspects.net daFoo' Snafoo

Jul 10, 2001, 1:24:50 PM7/10/01
first time i learned tailoring, wasn't even a manual.txt file

--

daFoo Snafoo - 40th Shaman
Questmaster - Soldiers of Fortune

Sean Kennedy

Jul 10, 2001, 2:08:09 PM7/10/01

KinS...@home.com <n...@no.com> wrote in message

> see above post,. Sewing kits can be used as backpacks!.
> backpack. Weight 3 10 slot holds large items
> Sewing kit Weight 3 10 slot holds giants items
> i do admit the kits cost more, but for the purpose of pre patch spider
silk
> collecting they allowed you to stay out longer since anyone can combine
> spider silk into swatches and thread

Small nitpick. If you are using it to make swatches, you can
hardly use it to store things.

Sean Kennedy

Jul 10, 2001, 2:22:11 PM7/10/01

Kilmir <nos...@kill.com> wrote in message
> My take on things:
>
> > - The "NPC unerringly sticks on pet" AI bug
> > implemented in the last patch has been fixed.
> > This resolves a bug that occurred a short while
> > ago that would cause pets to be the focus for
> > most attacks by NPCs.
>
> Afaik this was already fixed a while ago. Yesterday I couldn't get the
Sand
> Giants to stick to my water pet at all. Had to use a earth one and malise
> the Giant. Even then it still wanted to go to me.

It most definitely wasn't fixed as of this weekend. I had to make
some serious changes in my style of play to not get my pet killed
in almost every fight. If I sent him in too early (especially against
non-runners like sabertooths and rhinos) they would go after
him the first time he cast, and they stuck on him. A level 29 pet,
and the only person who could take back the mob from him after
he got it was a level 40 monk.

Soloing a bit in OT Sunday night, I was taking down a tigress when
I got a stoneleer add. Finished the tigress off, then tried to pull the
stoneleer to me by dumping the rest of my mana (didn't want to lose
my pet, and figured I could tank it long enough) - I couldn't get it loose,
2 blazes and I went up and sat between it and my pet, and it ignored
me. Fortunately the blow that killed my pet also did enough damage
to the stoneleer (inferno shield was up) that it turned to run.

Sean Kennedy

Jul 10, 2001, 2:23:57 PM7/10/01

Dark Tyger <dark...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Kilmir" <nos...@kill.com> wrote:
>
> >> - Fixed the animation problem where an animation
> >> played on the upper body would get stuck. This
> >> could be seen by starting to cast a spell and
> >> then walking forward while it was playing the
> >> casting animation.
> >
> >Good I guess. Haven't seen or heard this one haapen.
>
> I'd seen it quite a few times. Cast SOW and start running before the
> animation was finished, and my upper body would just look like I was
> standing still rather than doing the run animation...

Heh, my mage's mug would be tucked up against
his chest like he was trying not to spill his beer :)

Dream King

Jul 10, 2001, 2:28:50 PM7/10/01
"Sean Kennedy" <kse...@qwest.net> wrote:

>> I'd seen it quite a few times. Cast SOW and start running before the
>> animation was finished, and my upper body would just look like I was
>> standing still rather than doing the run animation...
>>

>Heh, my mage's mug would be tucked up against
>his chest like he was trying not to spill his beer :)

I saw it on my Iksar a few times. It looked rather funny. Too bad they
changed it.

Dream King

Jul 10, 2001, 2:32:40 PM7/10/01
Jason Burgoyne <jason.b...@bms.com> wrote:

Well... I'm not sure it needs to stack with EVERYTHING but it should at
least stack with all of your class specific armor effects. It used to
before the last patch. Sure, it's nice that Shissar and such stack with
the epic effect now but geez, not working with my class specific stuff
is a bit much. As it is now my velious boots are sitting in my bank
since they are worthless. The only reason I used to carry them around
previously was for the buff.

Ray Rocker

Jul 10, 2001, 2:36:41 PM7/10/01
In article <5AC27.8185$Tl4.2...@typhoon2.gnilink.net>,
Anita L. <nos...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Monks generally don't carry 3 stone backpacks, so it doesn't matter that a
>sewing kit weighs the same. Personally, I really like that silks are
>stackable now. I'll probably accumulate them now, rather than just
>destroying them because they take up too many slots. Then I'll just pass 'em
>along to some fledgling tailor.

Yeah...and gone are the days of occasionally finding spider silk at
vendors in places like ECommons, dropped off by lowbies who were
low on pack space.

--
Ray Rocker
roc...@datasync.com

Dan Day

Jul 10, 2001, 3:16:41 PM7/10/01
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:01:57 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Since they fixed the Tumpy Tonic quest so long ago, I've got to remember to
>/feedback asking them to make kiola nuts stackable. Aspiring brewers would
>be thrilled, as would folks who still do the TT quest for faction.

Not to mention people who want to make a few dozen attempts at
making a Trueshot Longbow (Kiola Nuts -> Tumpy Tonics -> Dwarven Wire).

James

Jul 10, 2001, 3:47:58 PM7/10/01

Ray Rocker wrote in message <9ifhvp$j6c$1...@shell.datasync.com>...

>Yeah...and gone are the days of occasionally finding spider silk at
>vendors in places like ECommons, dropped off by lowbies who were
>low on pack space.

I'd argue the opposite. True new players learn quickly that to get the
most out of limited carrying space, keep stackables - especially ones that
pay well per unit, like silks do. I think we'll see a LOT more. And cleaning
them out of the vendor will be easier, too.

James

Mark Bradshaw

Jul 10, 2001, 4:05:30 PM7/10/01
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:08:47 GMT, "KinS...@home.com" <n...@no.com>
wrote:

>just carry a sewing kit around with you.....
>swatches and threads are stackable

And how many spiderling silk have you had to let rot on corpses
because your brand new newbie couldn't yet affoard a sewing kit?

StanMann

Jul 10, 2001, 4:23:12 PM7/10/01

Zero. There is the bank... and Purses are 1 silver 4 slots Boxes are
1-2 gold for the small. Now. I've had pelts rot on me. that pisses me
off.

StanMann

--
OK, I have tremendous admiration for someone who goes to the trouble of
learning American English when it isn't their native tongue, but there

Jam

Jul 10, 2001, 4:32:35 PM7/10/01
> > - Spiderling and Spider Silks are now stackable
> That'll help newbies in Nek forest. Although I assumed there was logic
> behind not stacking spider silk.

Hehe, not only newbies, everyone can no collect spider silk and sell to tailors.
I pay 25pp for a stack (50pp for a stack of swatches), so even higher level
people will be able to make money with that change

Hesten Gnyffa
Level 33 druid
Officer of Da Troll Patrol
Veshaan server

ryouseika

Jul 10, 2001, 4:33:56 PM7/10/01
In article <3B4B2BA8...@success.net>, emp...@success.net says...

> Alternately you can eschew the pack, for the truely broke, and
> gather 120 silks up at a run, flat busted. For the monks, this also
> represents a -massive- savings in weight. Buy that sewing kit,
> stick it in the bank, and pull it out to tailor there, where your
> AC penalty for hauling out that 3 stone kit doesn't skewer you.

Um - if you're going to be going into town anyway, you don't need to
bother buying a sewing kit. Use the town's local stationary sewing kit
(this was what I was doing to get more silks at a time before they made
them stackable. Now all I can say is... "Yes! YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!" Geez,
now I wanna go play a newbie again :)

--
Ryouseika
14th level mage

ryouseika

Jul 10, 2001, 4:37:28 PM7/10/01
In article <1iG27.52294$Pf4.4...@bin1.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>,
deha...@bigfoot.com says...

> I remember being a newbie.

Newbie sewing story: it took me three characters to figure out how to
sew. I won't even bother counting the number of sewing kits,
instructions, and pelts sold in disgust when I couldn't figure it out. I
kept asking everybody I saw who was a tailor "what do I do?" and they'd
say "combine a ruined pelt and a pattern" and I'd say "I AM!" and sulk at
my sewing kit because it was 'broken'.

Then I discovered the difference between 'instructions' and 'patterns'.

Dan Day

Jul 10, 2001, 4:38:27 PM7/10/01
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:34:52 +0100, "Crying Freeman"
<fre...@108dragons.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>I meant, for all those "True" newbies that don't have the spare money to buy
>a small sewing kit (armour and weapons and backpacks come first) this will
>help as they sell to merchants for a few gold each, not to mention more to
>players. I was one of those newbies, in Nek, having to return to Neriak
>everytime I'd filled my bags with Silks.

Hell, even for non-newbies, this is a nice change. I've long
gotten beyond the point where I need Spider(ling) Silks, *or*
want to bother with placing newly found silks into a tailoring
kit, combining, and then tossing the resulting threads/swatches
on a stack every time I loot something that drops silks.

However now that silks stack, I don't mind taking the
minimal amount of time it takes to right-click-loot the
silks, then later pass them along to a guildmate or other
player who wants to work on their tailoring.

Before, it was just too much of a busy-work pain to bother with.

Annie M. Benson-Lennaman

Jul 10, 2001, 9:02:45 PM7/10/01

Dan Harmon wrote:
> I remember getting kinda dizzy running up and down the little hills of
> Butcherblock.
>
> I remember being a newbie.

I remember running a dwarf paladin to the docks in bb, and
hailing every NPC to try to figure out how to make the boat
appear, or learn where it might go. Finally I ran up to a
dwarf warror PC and asked him the same thing. He laughed, and
told me the boat showed up on it's own, and went to Freeport.
I thanked him for the info. Then I asked him how much it
cost to ride the boat.

Annie <--- still feels like a newbie quite often.

--
Living in the universe known as Drinal

Tealeef -- Barbarian Shaman of 19 seasons.
Teashot -- Wood Elf Ranger of 19 journeys.
Teatank -- Gnome Warrior of 14 campaigns.
Teacure -- Halfling Cleric of 12 doses.
Teacast -- High Elf Enchanter of 6 circles.

------
My email has been sabotaged. If you
can't figure out the fake part,
you're not supposed to write me.

Darren Chriest

Jul 10, 2001, 9:16:05 PM7/10/01
Crying Freeman wrote:

> Impatiens Pallida <pallid...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > July 10th, 3:00 am
> > ------------------------------

> > - Spiderling and Spider Silks are now stackable
> That'll help newbies in Nek forest. Although I assumed there was logic
> behind not stacking spider silk.

I always assumed that they meant to encourage tailoring... swatches are
stackable.

Davian

Jul 10, 2001, 10:14:42 PM7/10/01

Anita L. <nos...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> "Dream King" <morp...@cent.com> wrote in message
>
> > Not to mention you don't need to buy a large sewing kit. You can get
> > the two slot one that only weighs .3 or .5 whichever it is. That's good
> > enough for making swatches away from home.
>
> <sigh>
>
> If you haven't played a monk, I don't think you can understand the weight
> issue. I'm not going to carry a 2-slot container that weighs either .3 or
> .5. Instead I'm going to carry a 6-slot, 25% weight reducing pack that
> weighs 0.4 and just destroy the silks that drop in Dreadlands.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware monks could only carry one pouch. And here I
thought they were limited on weight, not slots...

> Now with the patch, I might keep a stack of them to give away.
>
> I can't believe that folks can't see that making silks stackable is a GOOD
> thing! Both for poor newbies and for monks. Or anyone else who hates to
> destroy stuff that someone might be able to use. In all the groups I've been
> in Dreadlands, only ONE PERSON actually made swatches with the silks. I can
> guarantee you that the rest of the people are just destroying them.

I think it's a great thing. That doesn't mean that you aren't throwing a
small fit over having to carry an extra half pound....

And before the change, I have regularly carried a sewing kit for the last week
to make swatches. Actually, I still have it on me.

Watchman

Jul 11, 2001, 2:41:59 AM7/11/01

Jason Burgoyne wrote:

> "KinS...@home.com" wrote:
>
> > hmm a sewing kit weighs as much as a backpack (3)
>
> > <snip>
>
> > "Jason Burgoyne" <jason.b...@bms.com> wrote in message

> > > Tell that to my monk...
> > >

> Again tell this to my monk... Hint he can't hold a backpack right now and work
> on 1HB. I knowI need to upgrade my armor/weapons but hunting for my bracer
> quests can weight quite a bit sometimes...
>
> And I actually can hold the backpack, I just can't loot anything after that.

You should buy medicine bags, only six slots but very light.

As far as I can tell the only thing stackable spiderling and spider silks do is
make the small sewing kit obsolete. Why carry a sewing kit when you can now
carry a stack of silks back to the bank.

--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

Kilmir

Jul 11, 2001, 3:55:56 AM7/11/01
Try the Bearskin Potion bags in which a Shaman can combine potions.
Only small items I think but it has 10 slots and is pretty light. I use it
for just about anything that can fit in it (words, runes, gems, etc)

Also I had tells from several monks to buy some summoned bags from me. 100%
weight red and a weight of 0.1. Just too bad they're no rent :)

Kilmir
--
Rhand Kinslayer <Destiny's Shadow>, lvl 36 HIE Mage, Vazaelle

"Watchman" <str...@SPAMPHOBICwhyalla.net.au> wrote in message

Richard Burge

Jul 11, 2001, 4:29:57 PM7/11/01
Dan Day <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote:

> >Since they fixed the Tumpy Tonic quest so long ago, I've got to remember to
> >/feedback asking them to make kiola nuts stackable. Aspiring brewers would
> >be thrilled, as would folks who still do the TT quest for faction.
>
> Not to mention people who want to make a few dozen attempts at
> making a Trueshot Longbow (Kiola Nuts -> Tumpy Tonics -> Dwarven Wire).

Not to mention people who want to leave some in the bank so they don't
have to wait on a boat into OOT every time they do a Stein of Mogguk
run.

Crying Freeman

Jul 11, 2001, 8:02:25 AM7/11/01

> He wandered around like a zombie most of the day. Although being Force
> killed by DV would make anyone walk around like a zombie I guess.
>
> Went for the first time last year, because it was local in Manchester - it
> was crap, and thats probably why its moved back to London.
> --

No, it's apparently going to swap between London and Manchester alternately.
It's previous site was Loughborough University, which was actually really
good (IMO)
I'm not into desktop RPG and haven't been for sometime but it's still
enjoyable event. Last time I went I won the Wireplay event for Q3 (or at
least the one I entered, they never managed to get all the winners together
to play each other) never did get my prize :¬/
I'll prolly go along to at least one of the days in London but looking at
the Website there is very little happening, only about 10 traders listed (at
a rumoured £2000 a pitch that isn't surprising) and nothing PC orientated
mentioned, no FPS, no RTA and definitely no EQ attendance...oh well.

CF

Irisian

Jul 11, 2001, 9:01:07 AM7/11/01
Last year I think there was an Unreal Tourney competition, but I couldn't
get near any of the machines.

It would actually be interesting to see how other EQ players go about
playing the game. I am the most experienced player I know, and thats not
saying much...

--

Lee.

"You hit the wrong ship!"
"It wasn't my fault!"
"Well, then whose fault was it, the torpedo's?"

- the doctor and EMH2
S.T.Voyager: Message In A Bottle

"Crying Freeman" <packe...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Jason Burgoyne

Jul 11, 2001, 9:13:13 AM7/11/01
I'm not going, but if I were I would want to know a little more information
than what they are providing. Example: If I chose a shaman, what gear am I
getting battle shaman gear or wis gear. If I choose a war am I getting resist
gear, ac gear, ability gear, 2 1HS, 2HS, bow? All this information will make a
big differnece in how I woudl approach the battle. Or are we given a pile of
armor to choose from, so If I'm going against a shaman, I can take out my CR
leggings and PR breastplate, whereas if I"m going agianst a ranger I can take
out my AC and ability gear. Caster = sheild for bash...

I think this could be a great event, and even better if they let you pick out
level 24 gear before each fight, but I think that would take too long.

JB

Dan Harmon

Jul 11, 2001, 12:14:14 PM7/11/01

> Dan Harmon <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I remember very well being a newbie. It was back before there were very
> > many sites giving out information. A friend of mine decided he wanted
> > become a tailor, and, since it sounded kinda cool, I started tailoring
as
> > well.
>
> Yes, similar thing here but what levels are we talking?

Oh, pre-5 I'm sure. Within 2 weeks of joining I know (my first long-term
character was born on 4/1/99...I joined around 3/24/99).

> > I also wasn't afraid to ask questions in /ooc. Not sure why you didn't
> want
> > to do that.
> >
> What, out of the blue just say /ooc is there anyway of carrying more
spider
> silks?

That question specifically? No. I'm talking about just general questions.
Sounds like you didn't like to ask questions in /ooc.

> OK, I didn't really think you wouldn't. The general hunting levels in Nek
> forest is 1 - 8, after then there isn't much to keep you going (bridge
> guards are constantly dead so hunting in the south part isn't all that
safe)
> If you were tailoring before then good on you, I wasn't (although I
suppose
> I could have, I had enough to pay for 10pp for a port when I was 7th or
8th)
> I don't think that many newbies under 5th level know about tailoring or
> think about spending the few gold they have on a small sewing kit.

Nektulos is a tough newbie zone. Bind point out of sight of the guards, no
path to Neriak, confusing paths overall, red critters aggroing newbies if
you take one step too many.
Hmmm, sorta sounds like GFay. :)

You had 10p to waste on a port at level 7?? When I was in Oasis around
level 16 with my druid (4 months into the game) Demoness on The Rathe
auctioned for a SoW. I ran to her, cast it, and she gave me 10p. This was
more than 10x what I had in the bank at the time, and probably EQUALED the
maximum amount of money ANY of my characters (about 4 long-term by that
time) had at any time. Wow, to me that was a lot of money.

Dan Harmon

Jul 11, 2001, 12:16:15 PM7/11/01

"Annie M. Benson-Lennaman" <annie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Dan Harmon wrote:
> > I remember getting kinda dizzy running up and down the little hills of
> > Butcherblock.
> >
> > I remember being a newbie.
>
> I remember running a dwarf paladin to the docks in bb, and
> hailing every NPC to try to figure out how to make the boat
> appear, or learn where it might go. Finally I ran up to a
> dwarf warror PC and asked him the same thing. He laughed, and
> told me the boat showed up on it's own, and went to Freeport.
> I thanked him for the info. Then I asked him how much it
> cost to ride the boat.

Hehe yeah I remembered worrying about the boat cost too (during the first
year all my long-term characters were born on Faydwer...actually, that's
still the case), considering I didn't even have enough money to replace the
fishing pole that just broke.

Lokari

Jul 11, 2001, 2:28:18 PM7/11/01
"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>can't remember if Lokari's site was up that early...4/99?

It wasn't even a Word document yet then. I started my own tailoring
efforts with my second character - next time I'm on I'll try to
remember to check his birthdate. Pretty sure it wasn't in 1999 at all,
though.

And if I had known when I started how much time I'd ultimately put
into the Guide, I'd have hidden under my bed instead.

--

www.lokari.net

Celaeno

Jul 11, 2001, 6:41:40 PM7/11/01
You will not evade me, "Anita L." <nos...@bigfoot.com>:

>"Dream King" <morp...@cent.com> wrote in message
>
>> Not to mention you don't need to buy a large sewing kit. You can get
>> the two slot one that only weighs .3 or .5 whichever it is. That's good
>> enough for making swatches away from home.
>
><sigh>
>
>If you haven't played a monk, I don't think you can understand the weight
>issue. I'm not going to carry a 2-slot container that weighs either .3 or
>.5. Instead I'm going to carry a 6-slot, 25% weight reducing pack that
>weighs 0.4 and just destroy the silks that drop in Dreadlands.
>

>Now with the patch, I might keep a stack of them to give away.
>
>I can't believe that folks can't see that making silks stackable is a GOOD
>thing! Both for poor newbies and for monks. Or anyone else who hates to
>destroy stuff that someone might be able to use. In all the groups I've been
>in Dreadlands, only ONE PERSON actually made swatches with the silks. I can
>guarantee you that the rest of the people are just destroying them.

I'm one of those people who collects the silk and I almost screamed
when, upon finding out I wanted silk, a warrior in group said 'ok, I
won't destroy them then' the other night :) And pack space helps both
at high and low levels - I'm occasionally carrying enough junk to have
to drop stuff on the ground to use my sewing kit.

Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal druid of Erollisi Marr

Dan Day

Jul 11, 2001, 7:15:13 PM7/11/01
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:41:40 GMT, cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com (Celaeno) wrote:

>I'm one of those people who collects the silk and I almost screamed
>when, upon finding out I wanted silk, a warrior in group said 'ok, I
>won't destroy them then' the other night :)

When I was in Kurn's Tower collecting the 8,000 Bone Chips (yes,
really) required to get my Dwarf Paladin on good faction standing
with Cabilis, I'd routinely do a /shout threatening to /bonk
anyone who let bone chips rot on corpses instead of gathering
them and selling them to me. :-)

Lance

Jul 11, 2001, 7:42:50 AM7/11/01

ryouseika wrote:

> Um - if you're going to be going into town anyway, you don't need to
> bother buying a sewing kit. Use the town's local stationary sewing kit
> (this was what I was doing to get more silks at a time before they made
> them stackable. Now all I can say is... "Yes! YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!" Geez,
> now I wanna go play a newbie again :)

Lol, hadn't thought of the stationaries, as they were useless
for my usual purpose of making silks into stackable items...
and later making pelts into stackable items that are actually
useful to a smith.

> --
> Ryouseika
> 14th level mage
> 8th level ranger
> 9th level shadowknight
> 16th level shaman
> Tarrew Marr

Ummm.. you -are- playing a newbie!

Bergh Brelltender
49 cleric, Morel Thule

Crying Freeman

Jul 12, 2001, 10:11:06 AM7/12/01

> You had 10p to waste on a port at level 7?? When I was in Oasis around
> level 16 with my druid (4 months into the game) Demoness on The Rathe
> auctioned for a SoW. I ran to her, cast it, and she gave me 10p. This
was
> more than 10x what I had in the bank at the time, and probably EQUALED the
> maximum amount of money ANY of my characters (about 4 long-term by that
> time) had at any time. Wow, to me that was a lot of money.

Ok well then I'll concede that you learned about Tailoring or trade skills
in general a lot sooner than me. At 5th I was trying to max out 2hs with a
bronze 2hded sword I had no time to think about trade skills, they were for
high level characters to waste their time on, or so I though at the time.

At around 6 or 7th I started keeping bonechips instead of selling them to
merchants, I had seen the build up of a Hate raid for the first time,
players offering 5pp for stacks of Bone chips...there is no shortage of
skeletons in Nek. By the time I left Nek I prolly had 50pp, wielded a SBH
and had a bronze BP (that was medium and weighed to much)

CF
Those were the days...when everyone in the party melee'd :¬)

ryouseika

Jul 12, 2001, 3:58:20 PM7/12/01
In article <3B4C3BBA...@success.net>, emp...@success.net says...

> ryouseika wrote:
>

> > Um - if you're going to be going into town anyway, you don't need to
> > bother buying a sewing kit. Use the town's local stationary sewing kit
> > (this was what I was doing to get more silks at a time before they made
> > them stackable. Now all I can say is... "Yes! YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!" Geez,
> > now I wanna go play a newbie again :)
> >

> Lol, hadn't thought of the stationaries, as they were useless
> for my usual purpose of making silks into stackable items...
> and later making pelts into stackable items that are actually
> useful to a smith.

Hmmmm never thought about that. I've been making bags from the LQs but
the amount of spiderling silks needed is WAY less in leather padding. So
we both learned something from each other :)

> > --
> > Ryouseika
> > 14th level mage
> > 8th level ranger
> > 9th level shadowknight
> > 16th level shaman
> > Tarrew Marr
>
> Ummm.. you -are- playing a newbie!

Oh hush. :) You just watch my shaman lev/sow herself through the newbie
area passing out armor and watch the hushed silence that descends.

(Well except for the 100x chorus of "SoW PLZ!")