Ensnare: 29th Level Druid Spell

John the Thorny

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
I purchased Ensnare this weekend and tried it out on Broon and Droon in
EK, plus a few more mobs like griffennes, aviaks and Kizdean Gix, just
to make sure. In short, it doesn't work very well. Here's what I noticed
about it:

-- It is resisted just as often as the 1st level snare is
(which is to say, not terribly often, but often enough).

-- It seems to make a mob move marginally slower than snare.

-- It also seems to have inherited the ease of breakage that
druid root spells have. Not a single ensnare lasted longer
than 15-20 seconds, whereas snare can be reliably counted
on to last a minute or so.

What is the deal with this spell? Having waited 29 levels for it, it
seems like a step backwards.

John
----

Sammy Gordon

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Heh standard snare is the best period. Ensnare was supposed to last
longer and get resisted less by what the spell in the guide book. But
like 99.9 percent of the rest of the information this is just plain
wrong.

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
In article <38d674e8...@news.primenet.com>, lip...@gps.caltech.edu
says...

> I purchased Ensnare this weekend and tried it out on Broon and Droon in
> EK, plus a few more mobs like griffennes, aviaks and Kizdean Gix, just
> to make sure. In short, it doesn't work very well. Here's what I noticed
> about it:
>
> -- It is resisted just as often as the 1st level snare is
> (which is to say, not terribly often, but often enough).

Verant's intention was to cap snare (where mobs over some level can't be
snared using the level 1 spell), but they forgot to implement it

> -- It seems to make a mob move marginally slower than snare.

Actually it's same speed

> -- It also seems to have inherited the ease of breakage that
> druid root spells have. Not a single ensnare lasted longer
> than 15-20 seconds, whereas snare can be reliably counted
> on to last a minute or so.

Snare lasts 2 minutes. Ensnare has secondary resists, where a mob can
break it at any time

> What is the deal with this spell? Having waited 29 levels for it, it
> seems like a step backwards.

Yup, the solution is to use level 1 snare until Verant caps it as they
wanted in the first place. I wonder how is it gonna affect rangers that
get ensnare later than druids :(

> John
> ----

Fabno Licious

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
wrong - ensnare will stick on reds that most of your other spells get
resisted on
when I got enstill, I never used it. I kept using root, then it kept getting
resisted so I stuck enstill up next to it and tried them both, all my spells
except enstill at that level were resisted
It is the same with ensnare, I have asked about it and read it in this NG
many times.

--

[35 Enchanter] Fabno (Erudite) <Warriors of Apocalypse>
Erollisi Marr

"Sammy Gordon" <kpee...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Heh standard snare is the best period. Ensnare was supposed to last
> longer and get resisted less by what the spell in the guide book. But
> like 99.9 percent of the rest of the information this is just plain
> wrong.
>
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:06:13 GMT, lip...@gps.caltech.edu (John the
> Thorny) wrote:
>

> >I purchased Ensnare this weekend and tried it out on Broon and Droon in
> >EK, plus a few more mobs like griffennes, aviaks and Kizdean Gix, just
> >to make sure. In short, it doesn't work very well. Here's what I noticed
> >about it:
> >
> >-- It is resisted just as often as the 1st level snare is
> > (which is to say, not terribly often, but often enough).
> >

> >-- It seems to make a mob move marginally slower than snare.
> >

> >-- It also seems to have inherited the ease of breakage that
> > druid root spells have. Not a single ensnare lasted longer
> > than 15-20 seconds, whereas snare can be reliably counted
> > on to last a minute or so.
> >

> >What is the deal with this spell? Having waited 29 levels for it, it
> >seems like a step backwards.
> >

> >John
> >----

PROTONGUN

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00

You are correct ensnare is a waste of pp and mana
at level 43 snare is still more effective.

John the Thorny <lip...@gps.caltech.edu> wrote in message

zeke

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

John the Thorny wrote:

> I purchased Ensnare this weekend and tried it out on Broon and Droon in
> EK, plus a few more mobs like griffennes, aviaks and Kizdean Gix, just
> to make sure. In short, it doesn't work very well. Here's what I noticed
> about it:
>
> -- It is resisted just as often as the 1st level snare is
> (which is to say, not terribly often, but often enough).
>
> -- It seems to make a mob move marginally slower than snare.
>
> -- It also seems to have inherited the ease of breakage that
> druid root spells have. Not a single ensnare lasted longer
> than 15-20 seconds, whereas snare can be reliably counted
> on to last a minute or so.
>
> What is the deal with this spell? Having waited 29 levels for it, it
> seems like a step backwards.
>
> John
> ----

I used to use Ensnare all the time. It slowed the mobs movement rate
significantly compared from snare. That is, until they nerfed the
ensnare spell a few months back.
Ensnare is now just another worthless spell - use snare instead.

Zeke _ The Rathe