Brad, I'd like you to read this. Soulfire, 2 handed weapon? Green Splinted Plate, medium only?

Zenegan

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
Lately, we finally got the detailed statistics of the Soulfire, a
paladin only weapon that everyone heard about but that no one used until
recently. Well here is my concern. Paladins and SKs does not get acess to
kick, only bash, thus they need to use a shield or be of large category to
use their secondary attacks. SKs weapons, like the pitiful Dark Reaver and,
hopefully, many more powerful weapons out there are 2h slash. That is fine
since most SKs are ogres and trolls and they can bash using a 2h slash.
(Sucks for DE and humans, tho). Paladins, however, do no hate this luxury,
none of us can be large, and we NEED a shield to bash. Everyone knows that
we dont get dual wield and that double attack dosent work extremely often,
id say 1% of chance per clvl. Thus, bash is essential to us, and every
paladin dreams of his holy swords, which are the only thing that make us
relatively equal to pure killing-machine mega tank known as monks later on.
To accomodate this, in late beta, all holy swords, as far as the cummunity
knows, were changed in 1h slashing weapons. It is, atleast, the case of the
ghoulsbane. No one knowns if that is also the case with the fiery avanger,
and if it is, if the FA stats remain unchanged. So here is the problem: The
Soulfire is 2handed! That means that us, paladins, have to forfeit our only
secondary attack if we are to use what will logically be the strongest
weapon at our disposal, considering the fiery avenger will most liekly be
too hard to get to be owned by the majority of the high lv paladins. How do
you feel about that? Do you think that this is planned to be this way? Is
this really a reasonable thing? I dont think so, and I hope this will be
adressed, somehow. I would hate to have to rely on my ghoulsbane forever
because I never trained 2h slash and its too late to do so at lv34 and
because I feel bash is a nessecary addition to our battle arsenal. I would
like your comments about this.

My second concern is about what is widely known (correct me if im wrong)
to be the game best full suit of plate armor. The ungodly powerful, Green
Splinted Platemail. Ive only figured a while ago that it was medium only by
looking at screenshots of a few pieces of this armor on the website of the
widely known guild Fires of Heavens. Its even worst than the problem
concerning the Soulfire in my humble opinion. It means that all the small
and large only races will never be able to touch that stat-boosting, light,
strong-as-mithril platemail. Dwarven paladins, cleric, those brave little
gnomish and halflng warriors, or clerics, and also these big, ugly, and very
smelly Ogres and Trolls Shadowknights, warriors or shamans will never feel
the joy to look as cool as the avatar of Karana, aradune. Honestly, this
troubles me. A friend of mine who played an ogre SK for a very long time
told me that the race and class are very hard to play and suffer from above
average exp penalties, and are hated everywhere. At the very least he should
be able to get decent rewards at lv50 if he reaches it one day. Im a dwarven
paladin and i feel pretty bad about that. If I had knew, I would have been a
human or an half-elf. Sure, dwarves makes good paladins early on but their
low int makes it hard to keep their weapon skills high (I barely keep 1h
slash maxed and can never think about developping another skilll, except
archery, which is almost luring-only at my level) and we have to deal with a
below average agility and charisma as well. I would also like your opinion
on this, Mr. McQuaid. I feel you are truly concerned about your game and I'd
like to know what you think of these facts and why you, or your
collaboraters decided large and small races woudnt get acess to the ultimate
armor for everything that can wears plate, and even that can't, if I think
about the fact that monks can use GSP.

Thank you for your time,
Cypherus Heavenshield,
Paladin of Brell,
34th Circle of Mastery.

Zeltch

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
While stumblin around in a drunken stupor on or about Sat, 10 Jul 1999
00:55:17 -0400, "Zenegan" <jean.l...@videotron.ca> managed to
mutter something about:

(SNIP RANT)

Dude, chill. I'm a Paladin, and I use two handed weapons exclusively.
What they deal in extra damage (especially once you get double attack
up high) is more than Bash will ever do.

I'm glad I have the option of using a two handed artifact weapon, and
hope there are more 2 handed holy swords out there.

There are 1 handed holy swords out there, so don't go ranting about it
being unfair when even *ONE* of them is 2-handed...cause not everyone
is like you and believes that 1 handed is the only *logical* choice.
It's called opinion, and your opinion isn't something Brad and crew
are going to use to change the stats on a holy sword.

2-Handed weapons RULE!

--
Zeltch
http://members.tripod.com/zeltch

"I hate people who can't speel right" -Tomar

Sam Schlansky

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
spa...@die.com (Zeltch) wrote in <37871081....@netnews.worldnet.att.net>:

>While stumblin around in a drunken stupor on or about Sat, 10 Jul 1999
>00:55:17 -0400, "Zenegan" <jean.l...@videotron.ca> managed to
>mutter something about:
>
>(SNIP RANT)
>
>Dude, chill. I'm a Paladin, and I use two handed weapons exclusively.
>What they deal in extra damage (especially once you get double attack
>up high) is more than Bash will ever do.
>
>I'm glad I have the option of using a two handed artifact weapon, and
>hope there are more 2 handed holy swords out there.
>
>There are 1 handed holy swords out there, so don't go ranting about it
>being unfair when even *ONE* of them is 2-handed...

There are three known holy swords in the game. Ghoulbane (1H), Brilliant Sword
of Faith (2H), and Soulfire (2H). It's not known if the fiery avenger is
paladin-only or not. So, at this point, two out of three are 2H.

Sam

--

/| Sam Schlansky <sam[at]operation3d[dot]com>
/| PGP Key ID: 0x63A9D707

spirit

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
I hae to agree. You should have both 1H AND 2H slashing maxed out at all
times. I do NOT used 1H swords. I use 2H sword. Maybe my 1H slashing
skills arent as high as my 2H slahsing but its still usedable and
deffends me very well when needed. Stop the gripping about the swords
should only be 1H already, I have heard this from acouple of other
people also and I told them what Im saying now, Not everyone uses 1H
swords or bash. A Paladin is NOT a "Cookie cutter" class who must have a
1H sword and a shield to bash, if not he/she isnt a Paladin. good grief
come on! Use Ghoulsbane if its that much of a concern.

Revelation D'Soul, The Rathe

Zeltch wrote:

> While stumblin around in a drunken stupor on or about Sat, 10 Jul 1999
> 00:55:17 -0400, "Zenegan" <jean.l...@videotron.ca> managed to
> mutter something about:
>
> (SNIP RANT)
>
> Dude, chill. I'm a Paladin, and I use two handed weapons exclusively.
> What they deal in extra damage (especially once you get double attack
> up high) is more than Bash will ever do.
>
> I'm glad I have the option of using a two handed artifact weapon, and
> hope there are more 2 handed holy swords out there.
>
> There are 1 handed holy swords out there, so don't go ranting about it

RoccoS

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:55:17 -0400, "Zenegan"
<jean.l...@videotron.ca> wrote:

> My second concern is about what is widely known (correct me if im wrong)
>to be the game best full suit of plate armor. The ungodly powerful, Green
>Splinted Platemail. Ive only figured a while ago that it was medium only by
>looking at screenshots of a few pieces of this armor on the website of the
>widely known guild Fires of Heavens. Its even worst than the problem
>concerning the Soulfire in my humble opinion. It means that all the small
>and large only races will never be able to touch that stat-boosting, light,
>strong-as-mithril platemail.

Cry me a river.

Try playing a human, and find yourself in banded armor until level 24
or so, while all the small folk can buy cheap bronze plate at around
level 11.

Large bronze is not too difficult to get, either.

Medium bronze seems to be very rare, and therefore outrageously
priced.

I for one am overjoyed to hear of medium-only armor. Helps make up for
the extreme lack of human-sized armor in the mid-levels.

Philth25

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
rocc...@hotmail.com (RoccoS) wrote in <378b8fdf....@news.earthlink.net>:

>Medium bronze seems to be very rare, and therefore outrageously
>priced.

Go to Greater Faydark. Hop on the boat. People sell medium and small everything
there for REALLY CHEAP. I mean it, There are so many people there that sell
banded and bronze in small and medium (because high elves can wear both sizes).
Did I mention it was cheap? Take about 40plat with you and come back home with
half a suit of bronze! It cost my Troll Warrior over 200plat to get his full
suit! THAT was hard to find.

By the time you get there, you'll see stuff that is BETTER than medium bronze
for sale just as cheap.

RoccoS

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:34:11 GMT, nos...@nospam.com (Philth25) wrote:

>Go to Greater Faydark. Hop on the boat. People sell medium and small everything
>there for REALLY CHEAP. I mean it, There are so many people there that sell
>banded and bronze in small and medium (because high elves can wear both sizes).
>Did I mention it was cheap? Take about 40plat with you and come back home with
>half a suit of bronze! It cost my Troll Warrior over 200plat to get his full
>suit! THAT was hard to find.

Hmm, I haven't seen much medium bronze (on E'Ci), and almost none
offered on Faydwer. It has been getting more common in the last week,
though, as people start to farm in (DungeonX). But cheap, I have to
disagree. Small bronze is dirt cheap; doesn't appear so for medium. I
haven't seen any for less than 50 pp per piece. Breastplates are going
for about 150-200 pp, from what I've seen.

>By the time you get there, you'll see stuff that is BETTER than medium bronze
>for sale just as cheap.

What exactly is that (seriously)? That a human warrior-type can wear?

Doug Pitters

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
In article <8E02B017FNone@news>, nos...@nospam.com says...

> rocc...@hotmail.com (RoccoS) wrote in <378b8fdf....@news.earthlink.net>:
>
> >Medium bronze seems to be very rare, and therefore outrageously
> >priced.
>
> Go to Greater Faydark. Hop on the boat. People sell medium and small everything
> there for REALLY CHEAP. I mean it, There are so many people there that sell
> banded and bronze in small and medium (because high elves can wear both sizes).
> Did I mention it was cheap? Take about 40plat with you and come back home with
> half a suit of bronze! It cost my Troll Warrior over 200plat to get his full
> suit! THAT was hard to find.

On my server (Rodcet Nife) bronze is easy to get, and banded is also
extrememly easy to get --- in SMALL.

Most medium stuff is not sold on Faydwer, since most elves can wear
small, and it ain't like dwarves and gnomes can wear medium.

I think the original poster is correct. Medium bronze is extremely
tough. I've only heard of one zone where you can get medium bronze, and I
still don't believe that you can get medium there.

While I'm at it, I play a human (well erudite) paladin, and I use 2H
sword exclusively too (though it's just that nice Fine 2H )

-doug