A few necromancer complaints and solutions?

Josh Barber

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
I love the necromancer class don't get me wrong but there are a few
things I think should be addressed.
1. Why do our pets all look the same, seems to me any undead would work for
this. Purely visual mind you just change what they look like. A necro
walking around with, say a ghoul or a mummy would definately be very cool.
This is an ego thing of course. :)
2. Seems summon food and water would be an added ability since we cannot buy
from vendors far away from our homes. This is a really big pain believe me.
3. faction for the gnomes, why are gnome skeletons in steamfont a negative
hit on our faction? This seems completely out of character. And the lack of
a newbie quest to raise our faction is a real bummer.( I may be wrong on
this but I have yet to find it) I do like the whole faction aspect with
regards to other cities like felwithe and kaladim though. Makes it a lot
tougher to play but definately adds to the roleplaying aspect of the class.
These are a just a few observations I think would really add to the
necro class in the long run.

Yistalkin
Gnome Necromancer
Fennin Ro

Dee

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
I agree with you there. Infact, we may need it more than any other
class. I know there are many times I am far from a safe vendor and
have to make a long journey just for food or drink.

Or to give an interesting twist, I would like to see them add a spell
called something like *Dark Feeding* What it would do is allow you to
cast it and not require food for an eq day. Cast this once a day and
never never need actual again. It really is not any different than
summoning food, and like other skills for the necro it only helps
themselves not others.

>2. Seems summon food and water would be an added ability since we cannot buy
>from vendors far away from our homes. This is a really big pain believe me.

---
AZIZ... LIGHTS!
---

(I do not get email at this addr)

fin...@my-dejanews.com

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
In article <8Gp23.4668$%U....@news.rdc1.wa.home.com>,

"Josh Barber" <barb...@home.com> wrote:
> I love the necromancer class don't get me wrong but there are a
few
> things I think should be addressed.
> 1. Why do our pets all look the same, seems to me any undead would
work for
> this. Purely visual mind you just change what they look like. A necro
> walking around with, say a ghoul or a mummy would definately be very
cool.
> This is an ego thing of course. :)

Different artwork for the higher level pets would be nice.
Substituting other undead for the pets could work, but if they put in a
mummy just hope that they don't move like mummys. Of course, I would
like to have a coal black skellie with burning red eyes.

> 2. Seems summon food and water would be an added ability since we
cannot buy
> from vendors far away from our homes. This is a really big pain
believe me.

I really think this is out of line with the essence of necro.
Summoning food and water is a wholesome thing to do, very far away from
a necros' specialty of death and decay.

> 3. faction for the gnomes, why are gnome skeletons in steamfont a
negative
> hit on our faction? This seems completely out of character. And the
lack of
> a newbie quest to raise our faction is a real bummer.( I may be wrong
on
> this but I have yet to find it) I do like the whole faction aspect
with
> regards to other cities like felwithe and kaladim though. Makes it a
lot
> tougher to play but definately adds to the roleplaying aspect of the
class.
> These are a just a few observations I think would really add to
the
> necro class in the long run.
>
> Yistalkin
> Gnome Necromancer
> Fennin Ro

Sinecay Aalerian
Dark Elf Necromancer Wood Elf Ranger
Bristlebane

JubJub McRae

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 04:28:52 GMT, "Josh Barber" <barb...@home.com>
wrote:

> I love the necromancer class don't get me wrong but there are a few
>things I think should be addressed.
>1. Why do our pets all look the same, seems to me any undead would work for
>this. Purely visual mind you just change what they look like. A necro
>walking around with, say a ghoul or a mummy would definately be very cool.
>This is an ego thing of course. :)

I agree. Strongly. Even if they don't go the mummy and ghoul route,
perhaps just nastier and nastier looking skeletons. Although you have
to admit, it is nice to be able to customize them with a tarnished
weapon of some sort.

>2. Seems summon food and water would be an added ability since we cannot buy
>from vendors far away from our homes. This is a really big pain believe me.

Strongly disagree - necros are such a strong class that there has to
be SOME drawback, and social isoation is it. Some think it isn't
strong enough.

>3. faction for the gnomes, why are gnome skeletons in steamfont a negative
>hit on our faction? This seems completely out of character. And the lack of
>a newbie quest to raise our faction is a real bummer.( I may be wrong on
>this but I have yet to find it) I do like the whole faction aspect with
>regards to other cities like felwithe and kaladim though. Makes it a lot
>tougher to play but definately adds to the roleplaying aspect of the class.

They are summoned by the Dark Reflection, a group of gnomish
necromancers worshipping the plaguebringer. They are their pets, and
serve as a monument to Bertoxxulous as they wander and fester across
the countryside. Personally, I wish my gnome necromancer could summon
gnome sized skeletons (and mummies and ghouls).

Shrike

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
fin...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <8Gp23.4668$%U....@news.rdc1.wa.home.com>,

> "Josh Barber" <barb...@home.com> wrote:
> > I love the necromancer class don't get me wrong but there are a
> few
> > things I think should be addressed.
> > 1. Why do our pets all look the same, seems to me any undead would
> work for
> > this. Purely visual mind you just change what they look like. A necro
> > walking around with, say a ghoul or a mummy would definately be very
> cool.
> > This is an ego thing of course. :)
>
> Different artwork for the higher level pets would be nice.
> Substituting other undead for the pets could work, but if they put in a
> mummy just hope that they don't move like mummys. Of course, I would
> like to have a coal black skellie with burning red eyes.

That would be really cool, but... You cannot have other undead as
summoned pets, since later on you get Dominate Undead which will let
you charm them. If I see a necro with a pet Ghoul, I want to know if
the ghoul is going to go berserker at any given time or not.

> > 2. Seems summon food and water would be an added ability since we
> cannot buy
> > from vendors far away from our homes. This is a really big pain
> believe me.
>

> I really think this is out of line with the essence of necro.
> Summoning food and water is a wholesome thing to do, very far away from
> a necros' specialty of death and decay.

I agree with that. I play a necro, and I chose a class of high
difficulty. Finding vitties is part of that difficulty, and I just
have to deal with it.

--

Shrike -IRIX worshipper, Linux dabbler, Windows victim-

Finnegan the Mage in Mith Marr, Parsifal the Bard in Fennin Ro,
Saharrach the Necromancer in Fennin Ro.

Jim Williams

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

fin...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message <7idjle$cji$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>In article <8Gp23.4668$%U....@news.rdc1.wa.home.com>,
> "Josh Barber" <barb...@home.com> wrote:
>> I love the necromancer class don't get me wrong but there are a
>few
>> things I think should be addressed.
>> 1. Why do our pets all look the same, seems to me any undead would
>work for
>> this. Purely visual mind you just change what they look like. A necro
>> walking around with, say a ghoul or a mummy would definately be very
>cool.
>> This is an ego thing of course. :)
>
>Different artwork for the higher level pets would be nice.
>Substituting other undead for the pets could work, but if they put in a
>mummy just hope that they don't move like mummys. Of course, I would
>like to have a coal black skellie with burning red eyes.

I'd settle for being able to put an erudite robe on mine (to go with his
scythe...:)

>> 2. Seems summon food and water would be an added ability since we
>cannot buy
>> from vendors far away from our homes. This is a really big pain
>believe me.
>
>I really think this is out of line with the essence of necro.
>Summoning food and water is a wholesome thing to do, very far away from
>a necros' specialty of death and decay.

yeah, necros should have something like "feast of the dead" where they get
bits of rotted crap off of corpses and stuff.

Joe C.

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
> 1. Why do our pets all look the same, seems to me any undead would work
for
> this. Purely visual mind you just change what they look like. A necro
> walking around with, say a ghoul or a mummy would definately be very cool.
> This is an ego thing of course. :)

I'm in agreement here. I know that in Befallen, there is a skeletal mob
that is a red-ish color (cant remember its name..). A black skeleton would
be pretty intimidating!

> 2. Seems summon food and water would be an added ability since we cannot
buy
> from vendors far away from our homes. This is a really big pain believe
me.

I have to politely disagree on this point. One thing you deal with when
being "evil" is the social stigma that goes with it. It adds alot to the
realism, knowing that when you finally visit a friendly city (Neriak, for
me..) you really need to stock up on supplies (I hang out in Ro alot, so
whenever I stop home I buy about 120 water flasks)

Jim Williams

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
Uhm.. Murissa will sell you water. I find food in N. Ro a problem. So I
learned to fish (fishing's better in Nektulos for me, but what the hey, I
like the sunshine :)

Sabeo

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
Each Character has its skills just like I can't heal myself like a cleric
can or buffer myself up because I am a mage, but I can make food and water.
This game is clearly geared toward grouping. Find a mage friend and stick
close or have someone else buy it for you! :)

Hippie Ramone

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Joe C. <jmca...@spamsux.mindspring.com> wrote:
: I have to politely disagree on this point. One thing you deal with when

: being "evil" is the social stigma that goes with it. It adds alot to the
: realism, knowing that when you finally visit a friendly city (Neriak, for
: me..) you really need to stock up on supplies (I hang out in Ro alot, so
: whenever I stop home I buy about 120 water flasks)

Forget the water, buy harvest crystals and spring crystals.

Jeff Hoppe

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

Hippie Ramone <kde...@jelerak.scrye.com> wrote in message

> Forget the water, buy harvest crystals and spring crystals.

Could you explain these? What are they? What do they do?

A wise man knows he knows nothing...So I must be very 'wise' indeed. :)

Jeff

Steve Totschek

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
On 27 May 1999 01:34:23 GMT, Hippie Ramone <kde...@jelerak.scrye.com>
wrote:

>Joe C. <jmca...@spamsux.mindspring.com> wrote:
>: I have to politely disagree on this point. One thing you deal with when
>: being "evil" is the social stigma that goes with it. It adds alot to the
>: realism, knowing that when you finally visit a friendly city (Neriak, for
>: me..) you really need to stock up on supplies (I hang out in Ro alot, so
>: whenever I stop home I buy about 120 water flasks)
>

>Forget the water, buy harvest crystals and spring crystals.

13pp for 10 charges of summon food! I think not.

Hippie Ramone

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
Steve Totschek <tcbc...@airmail.net> wrote:
:>Forget the water, buy harvest crystals and spring crystals.

:>K
: 13pp for 10 charges of summon food! I think not.

it's not 13pp, 1.3pp or so for 10 food.