elemental summunings...

IceCrystal & YoungWolf

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
please iv never heard anybody knowing what all the advantages of all
elementals....
i would like to know them....

DrubDeviL

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
http://eq.stratics.com/classes_mag_dis.shtml

IceCrystal & YoungWolf <pla...@total.net> wrote in message

Drew

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
Earth can take the most Damage
Fire Can dish out the most damage
Air Can go Invisible and do a little damage
and Im not sure about water.

Snikt

Logan

sne...@my-deja.com

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <7qlv8d$otp$1...@demon.uunet.ca>,
"DrubDeviL" <godz...@netrover.com> wrote:
> http://eq.stratics.com/classes_mag_dis.shtml

This is a decent document, with a few glaring errors. First, Fire is
entirely 100% useless. Never use it. Ever. Ok, one caveat. You can
use it up to level 8, or so. Before level 12, the differences in the
pets aren't that significant. You could use any of them with equal
efficiency. Beyond that, Earth, and Water are your only viable choice.

Second, when he says "Air is the pet you want tanking for you..." that's
complete, unadulterated crap. Air is the second to last pet you ever
want tanking for you. It can't take the hits, and despite rumors to the
contrary, doesn't get hit all that less often than Earth, or Water.
Earth, and Water should be your only two choices 99% of the time. Both
are good. Water tends to regenerate faster, but Earth has more HP than
God. These two pets are your workhorses, and the only ones you should
ever really use. There may be rare occasions when you'll want to use
Air, but really you're better off most of the time just invising your
pet yourself if that's what you want.

Repeat. Never ever, ever use Fire. It's a complete waste of mana. It
has less HP than anything else, doesn't do any more damage, since you
should always be fireshielding your pet yourself (better damage
shields), and just can't take the hits. My Fire, and Air pets function
*less* effectively than the Earth, and Water pets of the previous
circle. That's how much they suck. As you get higher up in levels,
this difference becomes more, and more apparent, until it becomes
painfully obvious.

Honestly, reading through GZ's article again, I was struck by one
particular sentance that to me indicates exactly where his experience is
coming from. That sentance is:

"The Fire Elemental is the elemental you want to use against creatures
with very quick attacks (Bixies) or against massive amounts of smaller
creatures..." Ok. Bingo. Bixies. What are those? Level 4? Ok, I'll
buy the notion that at 4th level, the Fire Elementals fire shield is
fairly useful. Beyond 12, I say it's completely useless, since you have
your own damage shield to apply to any pet you want, and since beyond
12, Earth, and Water are blatantly superior in terms of lasting power.
This sentance to me indicates exactly where he's coming from. As a low
level Magician without that much experience *playing* one at all.
<shrug> Mebbe I'm reading too much into once sentance, but that stuck
out like a sore thumb to me.

Next, his nonsense about Magicians using summoned items as a sort of
Mana Battery is absurd. It doesn't work that way. You simply don't
have the time to take a backpack full of swords, and spend 2 minutes
casting reclaim energy to turn them into a bubble of mana that you could
have gotten just as quickly by sitting down, and meditating. Magicians
summoned items are *not* practical mana batteries. They're just not.
You'd be hard pressed to find a Magician anywhere who thinks we are.

On summoned weapons; I fully understand his point about not wanting
them to be too powerful, or better than items you could normally expect
to obtain at any given level. This is perfectly valid. My problem with
them is that they're not even close. For example, at level 39, we get
Summon Dagger of Symbols. This dagger is worse than a dagger that drops
on a level 19 mob, the Dragoons Dirk. Should our summoned weapons be a
whopping 20 levels lower than the "norm for our level"? I don't think
so.

Phantom Armor. These spells would be a whole lot better if they didn't
require a reagent. Ironically, they'd also be a whole lot more
attractive if it was the Shielding line of spells that required the
reagent instead. Your Shielding line is *FAR* superior to Phantom
Armor. It provides about the same AC, yet provides a whole ton of HP,
and MR too, and doesn't require a reagent. This seems backwards to me.
I'd use Phantom Armor spells if it didn't cost me half a plat for
significantly less of an impact than what I get for free from my
Shielding line. Either the reagent should be stripped, or these should
be buffed up to make the cost more reasonable in comparison to the
effect.

He does make some very valid points throghout the article, but I also
feel he totally missed the boat on the above issues. Take what he says
with a grain of salt. Hell, take what I say with a grain of salt. I'll
bet your experience is closer to mine than it is to his :)

> IceCrystal & YoungWolf <pla...@total.net> wrote in message
> > please iv never heard anybody knowing what all the advantages of all
> > elementals....
> > i would like to know them....

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Michael Short

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
IceCrystal & YoungWolf wrote:

> please iv never heard anybody knowing what all the advantages of all
> elementals....
> i would like to know them....

My personal exp, though i'm only level 14: Water pet is my first
choice, Earth second, Fire and Air tied for third. I've done tests
with the Earth and Water pets, siccing them on something that seemed
exactly the same each time, and Water always came out healthier.
Doesn't do to have more hit points if the pet is getting nailed by
every blow: Earth is just slower than Water.

Burnout spell (lvl 12; supposed to increase capabilities of the pet)
seemed to be ineffective, except for the negative effect of slowing
down pet regeneration. But the rumor passed around before on this
group that at high levels an Air pet (fastest attack rate) with
Burnout III was just incredible. I'll have to try it if I make it
that far.

Note that the kind of MOB you attack might also make a difference.
For example, I can send a Water pet after a Giant Wasp that cons blue
to me, and the pet loses 1-2 bubbles of health. Send it after an Orc
Centurion that's blue, and the pet doesn't lose even one bubble. So
if you're going after MOBs that attack quickly for your level, you
might find an Air pet useful, and maybe even the Fire.

Mikal
14th lvl Mage
Brell server

TSandrich

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Well, you will never get the chance to see how the 49 water pet does. The word
and item you need seem almost impossible to get. Also level 30 pets and higher
get super fast regen, making burnout a much better option. Also you failed to
mention the use of a fire shield on your pet, which may help earth to do as
well or better than water as it gets hit so much more. At level 45 my damage
shield hits the mob for 20 points of damage every time. Sadly, at level 44
the only pet available is the fire pet with the least hps. Again, the word of
incarceration and essence of rathe seem very very hard to come by on the
Innoruk server. If anyone has them I would gladly give them my oracle robe for
em
Edar Celebrian
45 mage
Innoruk

Michael Short

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99

> Well, you will never get the chance to see how the 49 water pet does. The word
> and item you need seem almost impossible to get.

I can believe that.

> Also you failed to
> mention the use of a fire shield on your pet, which may help earth to do as
> well or better than water as it gets hit so much more.

True. My little damage shield at this time only seems to do 5 pts or so. My pet
can hit, bash, and spellcast for a combined 20+ pts per round, and does it much
more consistently than I do myself. When I attack a yellow, or a group, I do use
the damage shields on the water pet.

Damage shields inflict more damage (a little more) on the hitter if the pet is
slow. However, if the Earth pet is so slow it doesn't connect much, it's doing
considerably less damage than the water pet; getting a 5 pt hit is better than
nothing, but not as good as getting 20 pts. The difference to me seems to be

Earth+damageshield < Water < Water+damageshield

It comes down to what you prefer, and your style of attack.

I've heard that later spells in the Burnout series alter pet behavior by much more
than my little Burnout I, but cost some pet hps. In that case, Earth pet with
Burnout II or III might indeed be a better tank for me.

Had a chance to do some more testing last night, in Everfrost against orc shamans.
Fire pets, which i thought would have a better chance against creatures of the
cold, would be quickly killed by the shamans, whereas Water pets (with an ice-based
attack) could come real close to finishing the shamans off themselves. So there is
a difference in the capabilities of the pets, but it's not always what you might
expect.