Cultural Armor - who understands it?

Mason Barge

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
Could somebody do a post, starting with the most basic of basic, on
cultural armor? I got no clue.

I have a halfling cleric who I have always kept in the most diverse
ensemble possible, i.e. I try to make every item look different, as
part of his roleplay. (And with the addition of Donal armor, you can
get a pretty powerful set of wisdom/AC armor without looking like a
dandy, LOL.) But I would love to have a nice suit of black plate armor
for formal occasions, if it weren't too expensive.

Who will make it? How much will it cost? Should I take up smithing at
this late stage of life? (I must have 200 practices in my class guild.)

--
"If this is tea, please bring me some coffee. If this is coffee,
please bring me some tea."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Chris Godfrey

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
Mason Barge wrote:

> Could somebody do a post, starting with the most basic of basic, on
> cultural armor? I got no clue.
>
> I have a halfling cleric who I have always kept in the most diverse
> ensemble possible, i.e. I try to make every item look different, as
> part of his roleplay. (And with the addition of Donal armor, you can
> get a pretty powerful set of wisdom/AC armor without looking like a
> dandy, LOL.) But I would love to have a nice suit of black plate armor
> for formal occasions, if it weren't too expensive.
>
> Who will make it? How much will it cost? Should I take up smithing at
> this late stage of life? (I must have 200 practices in my class guild.)

You can only train to 20 or 21 in your guild, any skill after that must
be gained "in the field."

To make your colored armor, you'll need:
The best smith you can find (fine plate trivials > 175)
An alchemist or poisoner, preferably with high skill
All the components for the armor (padding, mold, sheet, etc)
All the components for the dye (extract, resins, lacquer)

Cost for a full suit of plate is approx 620pp, not including the dye
components and assuming no failures. It's probably cheaper (and a lot
easier) to find a skilled smith than it is to train yourself to the
required level.

griz

Chris Hoeh

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
I can't tell you much about the new smithing, I'm only at a 60 or 70
myself - but I can tell you that only 20 of those practices are good for
smithing, 21 and higher in trade skills only comes through actual work.

Mason Barge <mason...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

junk

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
The Cost to make a Full suit of Armor, assuming no Failures and a 140
Charisma is 690pp, now for the reality I have a 177 smithing skill and have
made about 30 pieces so far, no piece is trivial so far, and may not be even
at 200 skill, Failure rates are about 30% at this level. Which means that
if I sell you this even at 690pp I'm eating probably 200pp or more. And
that of course is at cost. I sell a Full suit for 1400pp, which is 2 times
cost, and most of the people in the forums who are selling it are selling it
at 2 to 3 Kpp. And keep in mind this is all Undyed stuff. So my suggestion
would be to get yourself into a real High level Rich guild, with a real good
smith.

"Chris Godfrey" <cd...@cornell.edu> wrote in message

> Mason Barge wrote:
> >
> > Could somebody do a post, starting with the most basic of basic, on
> > cultural armor? I got no clue.
> >
> > I have a halfling cleric who I have always kept in the most diverse
> > ensemble possible, i.e. I try to make every item look different, as
> > part of his roleplay. (And with the addition of Donal armor, you can
> > get a pretty powerful set of wisdom/AC armor without looking like a
> > dandy, LOL.) But I would love to have a nice suit of black plate armor
> > for formal occasions, if it weren't too expensive.
> >

> > Who will make it? How much will it cost? Should I take up smithing at
> > this late stage of life? (I must have 200 practices in my class guild.)

Martin Hitchings

Sep 29, 2000, 9:03:56 PM9/29/00
So what I am to understand here is that the type of armour for your
race/class can only be made by your race/class ?

Or is the armour universal ?

By choosing the dye you want you can have any colour you want ?

Isak and co, Elrossi Marr