Monks sneaking

Dark Magician

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99

Todd Yarbrough wrote in message <7ocek6$dfa$1...@news.jump.net>...
>Okay, so I just got my Monk to level 8 last night. The skill for that
level
>is Sneak- and is there a more useless skill? I've practiced it up to
around
>30- I'm a stickler for practicing all my skills (my swimming is around
fifty
>now!). I'd say that I can activate it about a fifth of the time- but of
>course, I can't tell if it works except by walking, since there's no
message
>except "You start sneaking", which I get whether I succeed or fail. <sigh>

actually my half-elf rogue do receive message that tells me whether i
succeeded on sneaking or not,
if i failed, it will prompt " You are as quiet as a hord of elephant" or
some thing like that, if i succeeded
it prompt " You are as quiet as a cat stalking its prey", messages are also
shown for hide skill.
However, no messages is prompted for my wood-elf druid, hmmm...., maybe it's
rogue only message.

Todd Yarbrough

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Okay, so I just got my Monk to level 8 last night. The skill for that level
is Sneak- and is there a more useless skill? I've practiced it up to around
30- I'm a stickler for practicing all my skills (my swimming is around fifty
now!). I'd say that I can activate it about a fifth of the time- but of
course, I can't tell if it works except by walking, since there's no message
except "You start sneaking", which I get whether I succeed or fail. <sigh>

Okay, assuming I get it to work, I move silently, which I assume MAY
actually do me some good, but I also move at walking speed. Walking speed
is just painful, after running all the time.

Now, moving silently sounds like a good deal, since monsters are supposedly
less likely to notice me- but I'm moving slower, so I'm in their area
longer, which means I'm MORE LIKELY to be noticed. Um, is there something
wrong with this picture?

If Monks got backstab, I could see this being potentially useful, but we
don't do that much more damage from behind, so sneaking up on a mob isn't
that great.

Ideally, Sneak would make you invisible, and would fail randomly, based on
your skill- a lot of other races and classes get invisibility, and can give
it to others as well- how about Monks? Why give us a useless skill?

If they don't want to make you turn invisible, then at least put your
movement speed back to full while you're sneaking- I tried to sneak up on a
mob last night, and couldn't do it because he just turned and walked away
without noticing me (he was just a gnoll, not very aggressive), and I
COULDN'T CATCH HIM!

Has anyone managed to use this ability effectively as a Monk?
--

Todd Yarbrough

wh...@my-deja.com

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
I have found Sneak to be very useful. As long as the monster doesn't
actually see you in his field of vision you are for all intents and
purposes invisible to him.

This means that you can Sneak up to him from behind and get the first
attack.

You can Sneak past a camp.

There is a problem with feign death in that once you get up, the
monsters that were attacking you realize that you were faking it and
have a tendency of rampaging back to you. If you have to Feign, once the
monsters are gone, you can Sneak before getting up and they won't
realize that you were faking it. This gives you more time to get to a
zone or get prepared to confront them because once you stop sneaking
they will hunt you down.

Hope that helps.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Dwayne T

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
This skill is MUCH more useful to rouge types. It allows us to move while
hidden (ie invisibility spell).

When you sneak you should get 1 of 2 messages, either you are sneaky as an
elephant ( failed) or sneaky as a cat after prey (passed). Yes your movement
is decreased, but if you walk behind the mob it will never see you. I've
sneaked (unhidden) inches from whole camps and never had problems.

But without Hide the skill is greatly diminished. With these two skills,
rouges get invisibility to all for an unlimited amount of time at level 4.
Don't think ANY caster can say that. (and rouges can loot while in the state
and keep on going afterwards)

Remus Shepherd

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
"Dwayne T" < <ns>dlt...@home.cns> wrote:
> When you sneak you should get 1 of 2 messages, either you are sneaky as an
> elephant ( failed) or sneaky as a cat after prey (passed).

Only rogues get these messages. Only rogues are informed that they are
hiding or sneaking correctly. Other classes that get Sneak, and races who
get Hide (including Halflings who get Hide *and* Sneak) get no indication
about whether or not their attempt has been successful.

.... ...
Remus Shepherd (re...@netcom.com)

Dark Grue

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99

Remus Shepherd <re...@netcom.com> wrote in message

However, I can empirically judge the success of a Sneak attempt as a Monk by
observing forward speed, which is dramatically reduced while a successful
Sneak is being performed.

Failed Sneak attempts do not affect movement speed.

-DG.

-+
| David G. Hesprich, CISSP, TIP #245 | "You have created a new world among
|
| dark...@iname.com | the three of you. I congratulate
|
| http://www.gue-tech.org/darkgrue/ | you. Happy goldfish bowl to you, to
|
| | me, to everyone, and may each of you
|
| It is dark. You might be eaten by | fry in hell forever. Arrest
|
| a grue. | recended." - Asimov, "The Dead Past"

-+

Lorax

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
I use it to get by creatures I don't feel like fighting. I've walked
right by creatures that would normally attack me. Helpful to get by the
monster that just killed you to retrieve your corpse. Sometimes it lasts
all of two steps or it stays on until you turn it off. For the later
reason it doesn't act like invisible because you could be in that mode
forever.

Todd Yarbrough

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Then fine, make it last a RANDOM amount of time, based on your skill. This
wouldn't be too powerful, 'cause you'd never know just when it would fail
you...

Lorax <Lo...@quarksbar.com> wrote in message

Dan Harmon

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Probably the best solution is to just not use sneak, then, if it's that
horrible of a skill.

If you can't tell if it's working unless you're moving, then move. After 3
steps you'll know if it's working. I don't see the hardship.

Are you bitching because you can't run while sneaking? Think about
it...when's the last time you saw someone sneaking around in real life while
running.

Todd Yarbrough <t_a_yarbr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Brett Hawn

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
The major failure with sneak is the inability to quickly STOP sneaking if
the creature in question does in fact see you and starts pounding on you.
Maybe its just me but one would think that as soon as you get tagged you
should immediately come out of sneak mode. I can't count the # of times I
was trying to sneak past something, got tagged, and was more intent on
trying to get the *&^% out than remembering to stop sneaking

Todd Yarbrough

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
I think you're missing the point here, Dan- if the skill exists, and it
doesn't work in a useful manner, then it should BE FIXED, not ignored.
Ignoring it doesn't improve the game.
And no, I'm not bitching because I can't run while sneaking. You're right,
running while sneaking is unrealistic. But then, so is "hiding" and turning
invisible, and yet dark elves can do that very thing. Everyone in the game
runs at full speed everywhere- it's also unrealistic (unless you're Maasai,
but I digress). This game is not supposed to emulate the real world. I
wouldn't pay ten bucks a month for that game- it's boring.
My point is that it's a skill that Monks get at level 8. It's supposed to
be roughly equal in utility to skills that other classes get at 8th level.
And it's not. As it is, it's almost useless.
Monks also get Safe Fall. It's not a very useful skill, but you get it
early. There are only a few situations where this skill would come in
handy. I'm not complaining about Safe Fall, though, because it does what
it's supposed to do- falls don't hurt as much as they nornally would. Sneak
does not truly let you sneak.

Dan Harmon <deha...@email.com> wrote in message

jdin...@my-deja.com

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
In article <7ocek6$dfa$1...@news.jump.net>,

"Todd Yarbrough" <t_a_yarbr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Okay, so I just got my Monk to level 8 last night. The skill for that
level
> is Sneak- and is there a more useless skill? I've practiced it up to
around
> 30- I'm a stickler for practicing all my skills (my swimming is around
fifty
> now!). I'd say that I can activate it about a fifth of the time- but
of
> course, I can't tell if it works except by walking, since there's no
message
> except "You start sneaking", which I get whether I succeed or fail.
<sigh>

Actually, the best use I've found for the sneak skill (and this may
have changed, I haven't done it in a while) is to sneak up on
merchants. Merchant cons you as aprehensive? Sneak up behind them
and presto - you're indifferent. Regardless of con - sneak seems
to cause merchants to regard you as indifferent - usefull if
you're stuck way away from home and a bunch of barbarian merchants
don't like you much.

- j

Regnor of Quellious

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Several comments.

a) As several have said only Rogues get the success/fail message on Sneak.
Same with Hide for Druids.
b) You can tell if you're successfully sneaking by virtue of your movement
speed. You will slow down dramatically. Otherwise, you failed.
c) You do more damage in general when you hit from behind because the mob
has no chance of defending itself. Same with you. When you're fleeing a mob
it's sometimes better to run backwards instead of back-to-the-mob. I haven't
seen this documented, and I can't swear to it being an actual feature, but
I've observed it in practice and it's been my experience. The point of this
comment is that Sneak allows you to get behind the mob and do your first
attack while he's unprepared. Not a big deal, perhaps, but worthwhile in
close battles.

Todd Yarbrough wrote in message <7ocek6$dfa$1...@news.jump.net>...

>Okay, so I just got my Monk to level 8 last night. The skill for that
level
>is Sneak- and is there a more useless skill? I've practiced it up to
around
>30- I'm a stickler for practicing all my skills (my swimming is around
fifty
>now!). I'd say that I can activate it about a fifth of the time- but of
>course, I can't tell if it works except by walking, since there's no
message
>except "You start sneaking", which I get whether I succeed or fail. <sigh>
>

>Okay, assuming I get it to work, I move silently, which I assume MAY
>actually do me some good, but I also move at walking speed. Walking speed
>is just painful, after running all the time.

Dan Harmon

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Apparently I'm still not seeing the point. I don't see it as broken. If
the only real complaint you have with it is that you can't tell if it's
working unless you move...well, then move. It's actually less broken and
more realistic that way than for rogues. It's very easy to tell if you're
sneaking. If you are sneaking, then it's working, and therefore useful in
many many situations.

There's nothing to fix, and I'm pretty sure I'm not ignoring anything.

BTW, safe fall is a great skill for any place it's easy to fall from if
you're not careful. There are enough places like that in the game, that I'm
glad one of my chrts have a similar (but not as useful because you have to
manually cast it) ability. My druid can cast levitate.

Todd Yarbrough <t_a_yarbr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Todd Yarbrough

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
No- my complaint isn't that you have to move to see if it worked. That I
don't mind so much.
What I'm complaining about is that Sneak, itself, is next to useless. On
the surface it sounds pretty good- you get to move silently, thereby
bypassing aggressive mobs. Cool!
But...
You move at normal walking speed while doing it. Therefore, you're in a
mob's area of detection longer, resulting in a better chance of them
detecting you. And walking speed sucks, which is why everybody immediately
sets the walk/run button to "run" when they log on.
My wife is playing a fifth level druid. She can cast camouflage as of this
level. In what way is my 8th level sneak ability even ROUGHLY equal to that
5th level spell?
And don't say that that's why I should group- that's ignoring the problem.

Dan Harmon <deha...@email.com> wrote in message

Skip Sanders

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99

> No- my complaint isn't that you have to move to see if it worked. That I
> don't mind so much.
> What I'm complaining about is that Sneak, itself, is next to useless. On
> the surface it sounds pretty good- you get to move silently, thereby
> bypassing aggressive mobs. Cool!
> But...
> You move at normal walking speed while doing it. Therefore, you're in a

Nope, you move SLOWER than 'normal walking speed'.

Dan Harmon

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
My bard gets no such ability until a minimum of lvl 17 (perhaps 19? 21?).

By its very name it's not as good as camo/invis, but it's better than the
nothing that my bard gets a minimum of 9 lvls after you get sneak. It
should be enough to get out of aggro range of critters, though.

You brought up comparing it to a druid spell, so my comparing it to a bard
song is apt. A monk is neither a druid nor a bard. I'll answer your
question, though:

>>. In what way is my 8th level sneak ability even ROUGHLY equal to that

5th level spell?<< Camo may last 10 seconds or 10 minutes. As does
(apparently) Sneak. Both the spell and the ability makes you invisible to
most critters. Both allow you to get out of harm's way. That makes them
ROUGHLY equal. Which druid spell is roughly equal to a monk's feign death?
:)

Todd Yarbrough <t_a_yarbr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> No- my complaint isn't that you have to move to see if it worked. That I
> don't mind so much.
> What I'm complaining about is that Sneak, itself, is next to useless. On
> the surface it sounds pretty good- you get to move silently, thereby
> bypassing aggressive mobs. Cool!
> But...
> You move at normal walking speed while doing it. Therefore, you're in a

Todd Yarbrough

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
I've never played a bard, so I don't know what they get, or don't.
And Sneak does not make you invisible- it makes you silent. Walk into an
aggressive monster's line of sight, and he'll attack you whether he can hear
you or not.
And Gate is pretty damn equal to Feign Death- better in a lot of respects.
I didn't intend to turn this into a pissing match between classes. I know
they're not equal. I also know that I'll never use sneak, the way it's
built right now.

Dan Harmon <deha...@email.com> wrote in message

Gea

Aug 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/6/99
You cant tell if your sneak is succesful or not by walking. You need to con
an npc to know for sure. Many times i have sneaked and when conning an npc
they see me same way as before but i walk slower. I f I hit the sneak
button again it says i have stopped sneaking. After a few attempts You will
be able to con an npc as indifferent and then you know its working.
<jdin...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7od11j$gq$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <7ocek6$dfa$1...@news.jump.net>,
> "Todd Yarbrough" <t_a_yarbr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Okay, so I just got my Monk to level 8 last night. The skill for that
> level
> > is Sneak- and is there a more useless skill? I've practiced it up to
> around
> > 30- I'm a stickler for practicing all my skills (my swimming is around
> fifty
> > now!). I'd say that I can activate it about a fifth of the time- but
> of
> > course, I can't tell if it works except by walking, since there's no
> message
> > except "You start sneaking", which I get whether I succeed or fail.
> <sigh>

Joe Chung

Aug 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/6/99
I am not completely certain of this, but if you successfully sneak, you can
no longer hear your footsteps. At least this has been my experience with
the Sneak skill when my Ranger uses it (which is seldom).

Gea <g...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Eric Harding

Aug 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/8/99
In article <7ocek6$dfa$1...@news.jump.net>, "Todd Yarbrough" <t_a_yarbr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Okay, so I just got my Monk to level 8 last night. The skill for that level
>is Sneak- and is there a more useless skill?

Bind wounds is much more useless.

Eric

Brett Hawn

Aug 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/8/99
I wholeheartedly disagree, many a time I've had my monk type arse saved from
a DoT by bandages, they take me up just far enough to live past the
continuing damage. Or bandaging up to 50% _BEFORE_ using mend, its a nice
way to heal in a pinch lemme tell ya. Now if only bandages didn't weigh a
friggin ton.

RaceFace

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
I disagree. It's saved my butt many times after being forced to use Mend in
a fight to survive, and getting out with very little health left. I can
take myself up to 50% with maybe 8 bandages (skill is only 60-something
right now) so it's safer for me to rest up. Less chance of an annoying
wandering mob deciding that I'm "ripe for the pickings."

It's also a nice way to help out the newbie who runs towards you screaming
"HELP" with 3 or 4 skeletons on their tail after you pull the skeletons off
of them. :)

Eric Harding <har...@mail.w-link.net> wrote in message

Jim Black

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Sneak is useful in two scenarios I've seen:

#1. NPC won't sell to you because of your class and/or race.

Sneaking up behind the NPC merchant in this situation will allow you to buy or
sell loot, supplies, etc.

#2. You're faced with a number of MOBs and don't want to fight.

For example, I once found myself between the proverbial rock and a hard place in
Najena. Encircled by aggro goblins and not able to melee 4 of them at once, I
was able to sneak around them when walking would trigger an attack.

Sneak works in these limited scenarios but I've not spent much time training
it. Good luck to you.

Panem Monkeyfist
Freeport Monk of the 35th circle, Tarrew Marr