Port-a-lights

vam...@primenet.com

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Just a question to all of you who have played humans. I know
that torches give little if any real light in the darkness, I am
wondering how the other non-magical sources of light do in the job of
countering the human's main and most nasty disadvantage.

Junon

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
when EQ put the gamma into working order i jacked it up at night, but unless
they put gamma back in use thats no good, but if gamma is working it works
great to see, kinda "cheating" but not really, and it helps a lot at night
vam...@primenet.com wrote in message
<36e89f86....@news.primenet.com>...

Arzo

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
try a fire beetle eye =)

Arzo

ken

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Put it this way. There are many people playing human, erudite, barbarians.
Only time I really had problem was traveling outside during moonless rainy
eq night, but bright sunny day. Also, if you use D3D (and probably glide)
you can set it up with driver setting for gamma correction. There's no real
advantage indoors, but if it is really dark night, then ir can see live
object farther and brighter.

Anyway, if there's a choice, I would pick ir race. But, it isn't that big a
deal. For example, I will have bard and ranger as halfelf, barbarian
shaman, human or highelf magician.

<vam...@primenet.com> wrote in message

Wraith

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
There are quite a few excellent lightsources in the game. I know I made a
lot of money peddling them from zone to zone. I always got my asking price
:) and the main reason I frequented the human cities [I'm a drow wizard].

So that lack of nightvision isn't that bad really. Try a drow, which has the
best nightvision by some accounts, and you'll see their nightvision isn't
quite that good either. I know I... carry a lightsource.

Darrell

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Fire Beetle Eyes are handy, since they don't use up your 2nd hand.
but, their range is the shortest of them all. About 6 virtual feet, and
the light source fades in and out often.

Torches are nice, with about 10 feet of range, and they fade in and out,
more often than eyes, but for shorter periods of time.

Lanterns are the best source of light I've found so far (I'm no long-time
veteran). They spread the light at a nice, long range, don't fade in and
out very often. BUT, they still occupy a valuable "hand" slot, which
could be used for a shield or a 2H weapon.

I use a beetle eye, mainly to save that extra hand; that and the fact
that you will learn your way around in the dark. You will need light
while inside caves, and unlit passages, though. I've spent 15 minutes
trying to get from Qeynos Hills to Surefall Glade with no light. I ended
up zoning back and forth, and found my way out to the hills again, and
said the heck with it, and went and found my corpse. (This also, while
being chased by some ill-equipped rogue PK'r. He wasn't a real danger,
but a troublesome pest - he seemed to have learned his backstabbing
techniques in quake, with his circle-running.)

Arzo

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
try a fire beetle eye =)

Sanctume

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
A good source of income is when you get a magical weapon, or Hammer of
Wrath (cleric Level 9)--is to hunt willowisp which have Lightstone (sells
for about 1 plat) and Greater Lightstone (sells for about 5 plats).

Hint: Killing wisps or pixies lowers faction standing with merchants.

Arzo wrote:

--
Sanctume, Cleric of Brell