A way to get Ice Comet Runes

Dolm

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99

Although I don't play a Wizard (I play a Warrior, Paladin, and Mage), I
have been giving some thought to the "Ice Comet Problem."

I think I may have a solution. You don't have to kill the dragons.

Its the Bilbo Baggins method. Burglars.

So, a party at 35+ engages the dragon. This party must have 2 or 3 good
tanks and a Cleric that had divine aura, and at least one high-level
ROGUE. Tanks attack dragon and the rogue repeatedly trys to steal from
the thing.

When the tanks are below 50%, cleric casts divine aura and everyone runs
for the zone.

If you didn't get the rune, rinse, lather, and repeat.

Any thoughts from rogues or anyone else with dragon-battle experience?

-- Dolm

Gresh

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
>So, a party at 35+ engages the dragon. This party must have 2 or 3 good
>tanks and a Cleric that had divine aura, and at least one high-level
>ROGUE. Tanks attack dragon and the rogue repeatedly trys to steal from
>the thing.
>
>When the tanks are below 50%, cleric casts divine aura and everyone runs
>for the zone.
>
>If you didn't get the rune, rinse, lather, and repeat.

Hrrmmm well I haven't fought a dragon personally, but from the
descriptions posted, i'd say the following would happen with a single
group level 35+ (heck, a single group of level 50's):

Tanks attack dragon. Dragon half-kills one tank in four seconds, the
last two seconds of which the cleric is casting Divine Aura. Divine
Aura hits the tank, Dragon switches to cleric and kills him in 4
seconds, the last two seconds of which gives everyone else a brief
head start for the zone. Maybe someone makes it out ... don't count
on it. The next two hours has everyone trying to get back to their
bodies to recover their stuff. Which is darn near impossible because
all the giants have respawned.

You DID know that the dragons are really really deep in tough dungeons
infested with entire packs of giants, didn't you?

Well, I suppose your tanks would start the battle invulnerable. So
you have some time to pickpocket before the above scenario kicks in.
I still think it would horribly messy once that initial Divine Aura
wore off. Dragons claw for 225 points. Etc.

Gresh
Qualm, Barbarian Shaman, E'ci

Carlo Mosca

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
An alternative would be to get your high-level part to escort the rogue (who
has somehow managed to get high faction with the dragons, so he isn't KOS to
Nagafen or Vox) down there, the he goes in and tries to steal from them
anyway. Of course, if the dragon notices the rogue dies, but it might be
worth a try.

NB. I'm not sure that the stuff you can steal from an NPC is the same as the
stuff you can loot from their corpse, but I've never played a rogue so I'm
only guessing.
--
Elethiomel, Erudite Wizard, Rodcet Nife
Paedur, Erudite Wizard, Rodcet Nife

BlueAcid98

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
In theory, this would work. If the rogue had good coverage, he could steal the
rune. Only problem with this is that it is VERY rare for rogues to pickpocket
an item. When i say very, I mean it. My rogue is at lvl 18 and I have only
stolen maybe 10 items since i got pickpocket at lvl 7 (or is it 8?) And if the
rogue eventually does steal an item, it will probably be something useless like
a dragon scale (if they even exist).

Paul J. Koeck

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99

Dolm <jjp...@ibm.net> wrote in message news:37988711...@ibm.net...

> Although I don't play a Wizard (I play a Warrior, Paladin, and Mage), I
> have been giving some thought to the "Ice Comet Problem."
>
> I think I may have a solution. You don't have to kill the dragons.
>
> Its the Bilbo Baggins method. Burglars.
>
> So, a party at 35+ engages the dragon. This party must have 2 or 3 good
> tanks and a Cleric that had divine aura, and at least one high-level
> ROGUE. Tanks attack dragon and the rogue repeatedly trys to steal from
> the thing.
>
> When the tanks are below 50%, cleric casts divine aura and everyone runs
> for the zone.
>
> If you didn't get the rune, rinse, lather, and repeat.
>
> Any thoughts from rogues or anyone else with dragon-battle experience?
>
> -- Dolm

Rogues can't steal items, only cash.

--
Paul J. Koeck,

To reply, change Byte.Me to newsguy

Sam Schlansky

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
jjp...@NOSPAM.ibm.net (Dolm) wrote in <37988711...@ibm.net>:

>Although I don't play a Wizard (I play a Warrior, Paladin, and Mage), I
>have been giving some thought to the "Ice Comet Problem."
>
>I think I may have a solution. You don't have to kill the dragons.
>
>Its the Bilbo Baggins method. Burglars.
>
>So, a party at 35+ engages the dragon. This party must have 2 or 3 good
>tanks and a Cleric that had divine aura, and at least one high-level
>ROGUE. Tanks attack dragon and the rogue repeatedly trys to steal from
>the thing.
>
>When the tanks are below 50%, cleric casts divine aura and everyone runs
>for the zone.
>
>If you didn't get the rune, rinse, lather, and repeat.
>
>Any thoughts from rogues or anyone else with dragon-battle experience?

Dragons can "summon" players for that very reason. You can't run up, hit it
once, then run away... as soon as you get out of its sight, it teleports you
right back.

Besides, I doubt a party of 35's would last long enough to get one pickpocket
attempt off... you'd need 45+'s at least... and the entire party would still
die.

And, finally, LVL 49 RUNES INCLUDING ICE COMET ARE _NOT_ ONLY FOUND ON DRAGONS!
One of the Verant people said this SPECIFICALLY. So, you can just kill a bunch
of the lvl 53 fire giants in the area and get the rune of frost that way... a
lot less dangerous.

Sam

--

/| Sam Schlansky <sam[at]operation3d[dot]com>
/| PGP Key ID: 0x63A9D707

BlondeFury

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99

Paul J. Koeck <pko...@Byte.Me.com> wrote in message

> Rogues can't steal items, only cash.
>

> --
> Paul J. Koeck,
>
> To reply, change Byte.Me to newsguy

Yet again, someone posting a definite answer who does not know. You would
be better off not responding to a post than posting an wrong answer to
something you do not know. Just because you have not does not mean you can
not. I have stolen the shield off a Qeynos guard. Funny thing is it
duplicated the shield when we killed the guard. I had the one I stole and
he had one still on him.
Whenever we go against baddies, the rogues back there backstabbing and
stealing. Several times the rogue will get the item even though we didn't
kill the beast and ran sxcreaming to the zone.

John S. Price

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Divine Aura is Self-only. Can't cast it on someone else.

There is a 49th level spell, Word of Divine (I believe that's
the name) that is a group Divine Aura spell.

Niin
39th level Dwarven Cleric
E'ci

Dolm <jjp...@ibm.net> wrote in message news:37988711...@ibm.net...

> Although I don't play a Wizard (I play a Warrior, Paladin, and Mage), I
> have been giving some thought to the "Ice Comet Problem."
>
> I think I may have a solution. You don't have to kill the dragons.
>
> Its the Bilbo Baggins method. Burglars.
>
> So, a party at 35+ engages the dragon. This party must have 2 or 3 good
> tanks and a Cleric that had divine aura, and at least one high-level
> ROGUE. Tanks attack dragon and the rogue repeatedly trys to steal from
> the thing.
>
> When the tanks are below 50%, cleric casts divine aura and everyone runs
> for the zone.
>
> If you didn't get the rune, rinse, lather, and repeat.
>
> Any thoughts from rogues or anyone else with dragon-battle experience?
>

> -- Dolm

Dolm

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99

Sam wrote:

> Dragons can "summon" players for that very reason. You can't run up, hit it
> once, then run away... as soon as you get out of its sight, it teleports you
> right back.

Wow that is truly nasty! So even if you gate away, you can be summoned
back? Ouch.

> Besides, I doubt a party of 35's would last long enough to get one pickpocket
> attempt off... you'd need 45+'s at least... and the entire party would still
> die.

Too bad.

> And, finally, LVL 49 RUNES INCLUDING ICE COMET ARE _NOT_ ONLY FOUND ON DRAGONS!
> One of the Verant people said this SPECIFICALLY. So, you can just kill a bunch
> of the lvl 53 fire giants in the area and get the rune of frost that way... a
> lot less dangerous.

No I have never heard that -- although I am glad to hear it. So
Wizzies shouldn't be complaining so hard then, huh?

-- Dolm

Cloauk

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
What! A use for the Rogue! We cant have that! Now go sit in the corner and
think of a way to tweak spells so that a druid can steal stuff from a dragon.

Sean

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Or DVinn's black heart, or Rondo's tounge...

Always amazes me that you can steal those!

--
Sean S. -:- ICQ: 1826323
Zap small files with Zap `Em - http://home.rochester.rr.com/zapem

BlueAcid98 wrote in message
<19990723143858...@ng-bj1.aol.com>...

Ian Fan

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
This rune isn't only on dragons, just because Nagefan had it doesnt mean its
only and always on him (the always part I don't know). We got a rune of
frost from the Priest of Nagefan earlier today in permafrost, still need
astral though. The priest is alot lower but still hits HARD (for 155) it can
also COMPLETE HEAL so if you are planning to kill him, when hes below 50%
life keep him stunned at ALL times or you are going to have one hell of a
time.
Also there are quite a few problems with your suggestion......
-divine aura/barrier is self only
-you cannot run from the dragon's lair to the zone (divine would probably be
gone by then, and you would have picked up more stuff), then it isnt nice to
leave the tanks behind.. maybe evac out.
-it is also pretty hard to steal a item.... it could take more than a few
tries and with a dragon hitting for 255hp you wont last long enough to steal
something.

Merana

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
Druids are not as good as i thought: i have a 16 level druid, and soloing
gets to be extremely boring (kiting, melee almost impossible at this point),
and for grouping i can offer them only a small damageshield and a little
dot. And the healing? Ever see the effect of a druids light heal on a level
17 tank? Really pathetic. Im back to my cleric, he can HEAL!
Wodan.

Cloauk heeft geschreven in bericht
<3798F390...@email.mcleodusa.net>...

>What! A use for the Rogue! We cant have that! Now go sit in the corner and
>think of a way to tweak spells so that a druid can steal stuff from a
dragon.

>"John S. Price" wrote:
>
>> Divine Aura is Self-only. Can't cast it on someone else.
>>
>> There is a 49th level spell, Word of Divine (I believe that's
>> the name) that is a group Divine Aura spell.
>>
>> Niin
>> 39th level Dwarven Cleric
>> E'ci

Sam Cholak

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99

Merana wrote in message <7netgu$o1l$1...@reader1.wxs.nl>...

>Druids are not as good as i thought: i have a 16 level druid, and soloing
>gets to be extremely boring (kiting, melee almost impossible at this
point),
>and for grouping i can offer them only a small damageshield and a little
>dot. And the healing? Ever see the effect of a druids light heal on a level
>17 tank? Really pathetic. Im back to my cleric, he can HEAL!
>Wodan.

What does he mean, "not as good as i thought"? A druid is a protector of
the forest, not a healer or a combat mage......why do people base the
quality of a class on its abilities and not its roleplayablility? shameful.

Merana

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
I guess you have a point there.... I must be of the powergamer sort. Problem
is that i do not seem to be very good at it, so i have to reconsider the way
I am playing this game, I think. I do like to travel a lot, I did this
already with my first char, as a 4 level enchanter(had invis, explored
highpass at that age). I also like to talk to people.
I am not a true roleplayer though. Guess I have to start grouping again.....
Ok, guys, here I come...again.

Wodan.

<DL>

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:15:10 -0400, "Paul J. Koeck"
<pko...@Byte.Me.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Rogues can't steal items, only cash.

Words from the clueless

<DL>
<Narsse on Karana>
<My opinions are my own.>
<My employer's may vary.>

Candy

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
Candy writes:

> good
> from

> runs

I like the idea, but it won't work. First off you'll (for Nagafen) tens
of 40+ PC's to even hope to kill him (and most of the tanks will die too).

I was involved in the first Nagafen slaying on Fenin Ro and boy was it a
nightmare, area effect breath weapon for 1000+ damage, double attacks for
over 200 damage, and that oh so annoying Dragon Roar (area effect fear attack).
It kind of funny when 20+ PC's (tanks) are in close in melee, and then see all
but 2 of them run away (I really felt for those 2, they died quick), I think
at the end of the fight all but 2 of the tanks were dead, me included. Just
getting to him is a pain too.

Paul J. Koeck

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99

BlondeFury <blond...@omg-wtf.com> wrote in message

> Paul J. Koeck <pko...@Byte.Me.com> wrote in message

> > Rogues can't steal items, only cash.
> >

> > --
> > Paul J. Koeck,
> >
> > To reply, change Byte.Me to newsguy
> >

> Yet again, someone posting a definite answer who does not know. You would
> be better off not responding to a post than posting an wrong answer to
> something you do not know. Just because you have not does not mean you
can
> not. I have stolen the shield off a Qeynos guard. Funny thing is it
> duplicated the shield when we killed the guard. I had the one I stole and
> he had one still on him.
> Whenever we go against baddies, the rogues back there backstabbing and
> stealing. Several times the rogue will get the item even though we didn't
> kill the beast and ran sxcreaming to the zone.

I seem to recall Brad McQuaid stating that Rogues cannot
pickpocket cash OR maybe it was that pickpocketing has
no effect on the loot that spawns on the corpse. It was
something like that.

Chalk it up to faulty memory. I'm not a rogue, BTW, so it
isn't from firsthand experience, rather from reading newsgroups.

--

Paul J. Koeck

snefru

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
In article <37989664...@news.pipeline.com>, Gresh says...

>>So, a party at 35+ engages the dragon. This party must have 2 or 3 good
>>tanks and a Cleric that had divine aura, and at least one high-level
>>ROGUE. Tanks attack dragon and the rogue repeatedly trys to steal from
>>the thing.
>>
>>When the tanks are below 50%, cleric casts divine aura and everyone runs
>>for the zone.
>>
>>If you didn't get the rune, rinse, lather, and repeat.
>
>Hrrmmm well I haven't fought a dragon personally, but from the
>descriptions posted, i'd say the following would happen with a single
>group level 35+ (heck, a single group of level 50's):
>
>Tanks attack dragon. Dragon half-kills one tank in four seconds, the
>last two seconds of which the cleric is casting Divine Aura. Divine
>Aura hits the tank, Dragon switches to cleric and kills him in 4
>seconds, the last two seconds of which gives everyone else a brief
>head start for the zone. Maybe someone makes it out ... don't count
>on it. The next two hours has everyone trying to get back to their
>bodies to recover their stuff. Which is darn near impossible because
>all the giants have respawned.

I don't think you give Dragons enough credit. Deep down, they're sensitive
emotional beings! Have you tried talking? Maybe sit down with Vox, and have a
latte, or something. Find some common ground, share some stories, and well..you
know...bond. Tell her about your plight..I'm sure she'll be more than
understanding. Say "Hey, Miss Vox, I really need that Rune, and you're really
not using it, mind if I borrow it? My cohort here will trade you a SoW for it."
I'm sure if you struck up a conversation, made friends, and asked politely you'd
find her much more receptive to your needs. But nooooooo, you just charge a
big-ass crowd into her house uninvited, get all drunk and rowdy, kill all her
friends, then try to poke her with big metal pointy sticks, and singe her with
fireballs. I'd be pretty pissed at you too. I sure as hell wouldn't give you
any runes. Geez people, have a heart!

>You DID know that the dragons are really really deep in tough dungeons
>infested with entire packs of giants, didn't you?

Can you really blame her for being anti-social?