Rangers & Hunting?

Stephen B Laird

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
I've been playing a Half-Elf Ranger and (when I can get a freakin'
connection) have been really enjoying it. I started in Surefall Glade, and
have been venturing over the Western Plains of Karana with some groups to do
some hunting. One thing I'm a little concerned with is the fact that we
spend most of the time hunting natural animals, especially lions for the
patchwork armor, and I'm starting to get a bit worried about losing some
status with my faction.

Does anyone know how far you have to go to get in trouble? I'm a little
worried here, because the gnolls in Qeynos Hills aren't much trouble
anymore, and I'd like to keep fighting challenging opponents. Should I be
worried?

Thanks,
Steve aka Lucien

ken

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Only bears in the cave of surefall will affect it.

ZO

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Wow, you've progressed rapidly... You can still gain exp from the gnoll
Watchers, scouts and regular gnolls through level 7, but yes you must either
go inside Blackburrow or head into the Plains of Karana, which actually is
quite challenging. Neither area can be played well alone, at least not
without a lot of dying. I only got my Ranger to just under 8 in beta so I
can't say for sure, but I too had to kill quite a few bears and lions in
Karana and it didn't seem to effect anything. I've heard that while there
are things that effect your standing negatively, there are also things that
effect it positively (like killing Gnolls, perhaps?).
A nice hint book with this info would be nice...not like the piece of
CRAP player guide that I mistakely paid $16 for. Geez what a rip
off....nothing more than what should've been in the regular manual.
One thing to consider is that Druids are the real touchy-feely animal
lovers here...a Ranger can still be attacked by animals unprovoked (happened
to me first time I went to Karana) which leads me to believe that there may
be a little lea-way when it comes to guild standings for the Ranger. I
might be full of it there...but maybe not.