Question about "faction standing".

Marc Guyott

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Greetings All,

This may or may not be something that can be discussed here because of the
NDAs. If it can not then please ignore this post.

I was reading one of the articles on EQ Vault and the article was talking
about playing evil characters (specifically Dark Elves, Ogres and Trolls)
and the fact that they would be killed by the guards of all (?) of the other
races communities unless they spent serious time "cultivating better faction
standings".

I would love to roleplay one of these evil creatures gone good (as we all
know some good creatures turn evil so.... and I even have what I believe is
a plausable Bio) but I had given up on the idea because I figured they would
be too difficult because they could not really leave the evil communities.

However, the above information has started me rethinking this. Does this
imply that with time and work (which I am more then happy to put in) an evil
character could improve their individual relations with the good races (and
thus diminish their relations with the evil races) to the point where they
could enter good communities?

To paraphrase, could an good creature from an evil race, in time, prove
him/herself to be a good creature and be allowed access into good
communites?

Marc
--
Marc Guyott
marc_...@infinium.com

Thomas Prewitt

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Maybe with the neutral races.....

Although, just because you kill off a lot of goblins, or whatever their enemy
is, doesn't mean they will trust you. You could be attacking the goblins for
your own reasons, not to help out the civilized people.

Once they let you into their town, how they know you won't poison the water well
or turn on them eventually? Besides, how can a 10 foot 400 pound ogre fit into
any of the smaller races homes? Did you see the screenshot where the human was
hunched over in the dwarf shop?

Evil is evil in this game. Its in the nature of the characters to distrust and
hate others.

Eclipse

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
How would the town guards know you're a good troll the first time you
wandered into their gates?

Marc Guyott <marc_...@infinium.com> wrote in message
759b25$jbr$1...@winter.news.rcn.net...

Alex

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Not to tell too much more, but from what I have seen (in beta three) it
looks like you will be able to do what you describe below. However I have
no where near put it to the test (I'm playing good aligned races) and I
would think it would take a huge amount of work - also, just on a
conjecture, in increasing your faction standing with one (or more) of the
good races, you could be decreasing your faction standing with your own
race - I don't know but I wonder if this could lead to a point where you
were shunned by your own people or class, but had not gained the faction
standing to be accepted by a good race as an "ok" person - talk about a
piraha (sp?).

Alex

Dizzy

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Without saying to much you can do what you describe. Will take a bit but
you will improve your faction with other races and you will eventually be
allowed in other good towns.

It also tells you on your message box that you have improved your faction
standing. Or at least it did not sure about right now.

Marc Guyott

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Hi Eclipse,

Good question.

I am just trying to figure out if it is possible for me to play a character
that I would dearly love to play. If it's not possible in EverQuest that's
OK. I guess I am trying to not waste a lot of time figuring that out as I
believe it will take a lot of time before I am able to tell if the character
I am creating can really exist in EverQuest.

Eclipse wrote in message ...

>How would the town guards know you're a good troll the first time you
>wandered into their gates?
>

>Marc Guyott <marc_...@infinium.com> wrote in message
>759b25$jbr$1...@winter.news.rcn.net...

Marc Guyott

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Hi Thomas,

I agree with the sentiments of your post. I am not asking for complete
trust, just the opportunity to come into town and purchase supplies, have a
drink at an Inn and perhaps train. In time perhaps some of the residents
would learn to trust a character like this? Who knows. It may be the
nature of the characters to distrust and hate others but hey, once you get
to know a decent Troll you might find that they are not as bad as you
thought. <GRIN>

Also, I would remind you that just because one is of a "good" race does not
mean that one is always trustworthy. Just take those devious halfling
thiefs for example! <WINK> Seriously though, there should be evil
individuals in every race and good individuals in every race.

I also agree that a 10 foot, 400 pound Ogre would not be able to enter the
dwellings in some communities. This is part of the fun of role playing a
character like this!

Marc Guyott

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the info.

I would indeed expect that as one's faction standing increased with one or
more of the good races that one's faction standing would decrease with one
or more of the evil races. This could definitely lead to a transition
period where one is not accepted by either side. Take about an interesting
role playing opportunity! <GRIN>

Seriously though, I am not sure how this would work in reality but if there
is a chance for a successful outcome then I am willing to invest the time to
try it and find out. If it flat out can not be done then I don't really
want to waste my time trying to do something that is not supported by the
game.

Thanks for your helpful reply!

Marc Guyott

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98

Hi Dizzy,

Thank you for the informative post. It is enough information to me to plan
on trying to create the character that I am thinking of.

I don't mind if it is a lot of work and I don't mind if it does not work out
quite as I expect (as is often the case, characters tend to have a life of
there own over time!) I just want to know that there is some chance of
creating such a character before beginning the attempt. If it is not at all
possible then I don't want to waste my time. I am looking forward to trying
to create this character!

ken

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
You know, if the faction thing is working good... You should have great time
role playing changing huge negative standing to neutral. OTOH, you are
still ugly and will have to pay high price.