How do you humans do it?

Dee

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
I played a few different dwarven characters and I guess I never
realized they had infravision. Then I tried a human. OMG. How do
you get around without it? I know you can buy stuff like lightstones,
but that doesn't help spot the griffon way in the distance. Do you
get used to seeing so poorly at night or is it just that if you never
played a char with I.V. so it is no biggie and don't know what you are
missing. Also, does the increased speed in leveling, since you have
no exp deduction like other races, outweigh the loss of night vision?
(is the increased leveling speed that much better? I mean if you took
two races side by side, killing the same monsters, would a human be
say at lvl 2 when others would be at lvl 1) I'm just trying to see
why I would want to use a human instead of other races for things
besides a monk.
Thanks!

---
"AZIZ... LIGHTS!"
-----
I don't get email so don't send it.

ken

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
There are several reasons. If you want to powerplay wizard, then you would
want to to erudite. If you want to be shaman, but want to travel easier
then barbarian is only choice. If you want to be a monk... etc.

Anyway, what it come down to is that ir vision plus beetle eye is best. It
is only inconvenience for outdoors.

jason

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
Dee <M...@herehere.com> wrote:
> I played a few different dwarven characters and I guess I never
> realized they had infravision. Then I tried a human. OMG. How do
> you get around without it? I know you can buy stuff like lightstones,
> but that doesn't help spot the griffon way in the distance. Do you
> get used to seeing so poorly at night or is it just that if you never
> played a char with I.V. so it is no biggie and don't know what you are

Personally, for me, it's the latter. I've only played three
different characters, and for no particular reason, they've all been
human. I've got a high-elf wizard created for a rainy day, but haven't put
him in play yet.

> say at lvl 2 when others would be at lvl 1) I'm just trying to see
> why I would want to use a human instead of other races for things
> besides a monk.

So you can get the special "basketball" skill at level 35. Then
I'll take you to the post, dark or not, dwarfie! :)

One other serious consideration is that humans, as the vanilla
default race, MIGHT have a wider range of acceptance, where the non-human
races might have a little more problems with NPCs. Just a thought, though.
Don't know if it's true...

Jay
(aka Hezkel, 6th-level monk, Tunare)

Shrike

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
Dee wrote:

> I played a few different dwarven characters and I guess I never
> realized they had infravision. Then I tried a human. OMG. How do
> you get around without it? I know you can buy stuff like lightstones,
> but that doesn't help spot the griffon way in the distance. Do you
> get used to seeing so poorly at night or is it just that if you never
> played a char with I.V. so it is no biggie and don't know what you are
> missing. Also, does the increased speed in leveling, since you have
> no exp deduction like other races, outweigh the loss of night vision?
> (is the increased leveling speed that much better? I mean if you took
> two races side by side, killing the same monsters, would a human be
> say at lvl 2 when others would be at lvl 1) I'm just trying to see
> why I would want to use a human instead of other races for things
> besides a monk.
> Thanks!

I don't know about the fast leveling, since it's taking me forever to
level anywhere, but as far as vision is concerned, I can't see at
night for dick, Greater Lightstone or no Greater Lightstone.

--

Shrike -IRIX worshipper, Linux dabbler, Windows victim-

`I need Stalin like I need a hole in the head' -Leon Trotsky

Seraphine

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
my god there are items to correct vision, stats, etc! jesus, pick a
race/class that best suits your playstyle. quick fis is to turn up the
gamma or monitor brightness. befriend a mage or cleric for halo of light,
kill a wisp, hug a tree, kill flipper, whatever...

ken wrote in message <371f4...@news.hawaii.rr.com>...

>There are several reasons. If you want to powerplay wizard, then you would
>want to to erudite. If you want to be shaman, but want to travel easier
>then barbarian is only choice. If you want to be a monk... etc.
>
>Anyway, what it come down to is that ir vision plus beetle eye is best. It
>is only inconvenience for outdoors.
>

>Dee wrote in message <371f4567.2750117@news>...

>>I played a few different dwarven characters and I guess I never
>>realized they had infravision. Then I tried a human. OMG. How do
>>you get around without it? I know you can buy stuff like lightstones,
>>but that doesn't help spot the griffon way in the distance. Do you
>>get used to seeing so poorly at night or is it just that if you never
>>played a char with I.V. so it is no biggie and don't know what you are
>>missing. Also, does the increased speed in leveling, since you have
>>no exp deduction like other races, outweigh the loss of night vision?
>>(is the increased leveling speed that much better? I mean if you took
>>two races side by side, killing the same monsters, would a human be
>>say at lvl 2 when others would be at lvl 1) I'm just trying to see
>>why I would want to use a human instead of other races for things
>>besides a monk.
>>Thanks!

Stefan Raets

Apr 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/23/99
On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:02:07 GMT, M...@herehere.com (Dee) wrote:

>say at lvl 2 when others would be at lvl 1) I'm just trying to see
>why I would want to use a human instead of other races for things
>besides a monk.

It's true, one of the main drawbacks of playing a human is night
blindness. Some items and spells will make it easier, but still it
remains a problem. My Erudite Wizard is a bit clumsy at night, but
I've learned to play around that - using the nighttime for chat, rest
and meditation. Soon I will get Halo of Light which, I'm told, will
make everything a bit easier.

Aznyin
Level 11 Erudite Wizard in exile.
Current residence: Queynos [Solusek Ro]

W C Snyder

Apr 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/23/99
I agree, it's tough, but you adapt after a while. At night, I kind of look
for motion and that helps a bit, though, I've still had some close calls
with griffins. Also, when my magician friend is on, he summons lots of
heatstones for the two of us which give us infravision for roughly the whole
night. They help a lot, but I can't wait for him to get the coldstone
spell, so I can experience ultravision for the first time (I've never played
anything other than a human).

Dee <M...@herehere.com> wrote in message news:371f4567.2750117@news...

>I played a few different dwarven characters and I guess I never
>realized they had infravision. Then I tried a human. OMG. How do
>you get around without it? I know you can buy stuff like lightstones,
>but that doesn't help spot the griffon way in the distance. Do you
>get used to seeing so poorly at night or is it just that if you never
>played a char with I.V. so it is no biggie and don't know what you are
>missing. Also, does the increased speed in leveling, since you have
>no exp deduction like other races, outweigh the loss of night vision?
>(is the increased leveling speed that much better? I mean if you took
>two races side by side, killing the same monsters, would a human be

>say at lvl 2 when others would be at lvl 1) I'm just trying to see
>why I would want to use a human instead of other races for things
>besides a monk.

Stephen Lange

Apr 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/23/99

W C Snyder wrote in message <7fqd9r$isd$1...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>spell, so I can experience ultravision for the first time (I've never
played
>anything other than a human).

It's truly helpfull. In the dead of night I have no problem with my DE
Necromancer seeing as well as in full daylight.. However..

In Neriak, even with Ultra, you cant see further than 40ft in front of you.
Challenging for a DE, probally would be impossible for an other race.

IceCrystal & YoungWolf

Apr 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/23/99
the thing is, i think it is part of the fun...
its more realistic...not seeing at nite...must be greath...:)

ken <rav...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message

> There are several reasons. If you want to powerplay wizard, then you
would
> want to to erudite. If you want to be shaman, but want to travel easier
> then barbarian is only choice. If you want to be a monk... etc.
>
> Anyway, what it come down to is that ir vision plus beetle eye is best.
It
> is only inconvenience for outdoors.

y...@mindspring.com

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
Night seeing folks have a big advantage.... seen so many times human miss
good prey at night while a elf or something zooms by them and kills it. Or
them spinning around and miss the lion running up at them till its too
late... cept for monks oc, the highest level members of any class are night
seeing races, highest level humans despite the 10-20 % exp bonus are usually
several levels lower... my main character is human and has been pretty much
left in the dust by her high elf 'sister'.

Shrike

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
W C Snyder wrote:

> I agree, it's tough, but you adapt after a while. At night, I kind of look
> for motion and that helps a bit, though, I've still had some close calls
> with griffins. Also, when my magician friend is on, he summons lots of
> heatstones for the two of us which give us infravision for roughly the whole
> night. They help a lot, but I can't wait for him to get the coldstone
> spell, so I can experience ultravision for the first time (I've never played
> anything other than a human).

Oh, so Heatstones wear off with time? Bummer.