Bind Wound Help.

silent scream

May 24, 2001, 3:54:56 PM5/24/01
I've made a mistake in not practicing bind wound at all so far and I am now
up to level 15. This is a skill I can raise anytime regardless of cons of
creatures I fight, right? And where can I pick up bandages? Have to get to
work!

I also have not worked on archery one bit, is this necessary at later
levels? Any tips on bringing it up from Level 15 at (1)?

--
-brian
---------------------------------

Darweth -Dwarven Cleric of the 10th Heal
Zebuxoruk - RETIRED N00B (1st Character)

Bob Beach

May 24, 2001, 4:00:45 PM5/24/01
Bind wound is a skill that gets better every time you use it, like taunt or
kick. You can generally find bandages from merchants who sell food, or at
least that's what it seems like to me. It does cap based on your lvl but if
you've never used it before and you're at 15 you should zoom right up there
to the lvl cap for 15. You just gotta get a butt-load of bandages and start
wrapping yourself up!

Please note that at this time in your young life you can only bandage to 50%
of your health. Later on in life you will be able to bandage yourself up to
75% but I'm not sure when that happens. It sure comes in handy when you've
got 10 hp and no healers. You have to be still when you do it and if you
take one step when you're bandaging yourself or your target (BTW - you must
target yourself to bandage yourself) your attempt will be halted and you'll
lose the bandage (I think.. haven't verified that yet but sounds plausible
=D).

Hanaar of Kaladim
Warrior of 18
E'ci Time Zone

"silent scream" <darwe...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

jaZZmanian Devil

May 24, 2001, 4:54:24 PM5/24/01
Bob Beach wrote:

> Please note that at this time in your young life you can only bandage to 50%
> of your health. Later on in life you will be able to bandage yourself up to
> 75% but I'm not sure when that happens. It sure comes in handy when you've
> got 10 hp and no healers.

Yes, bandaging is a very important skill that you can raise up at any
time, and bandages are common stock at many merchants. Please note that
Bob's comments about the 75% cap only apply to monks, and then only
after level 50 or 51 (not sure which) when you can raise the skill
beyond 201.
--
Jakys Lv'Tyrre, the Mad Monk of Qeynos
Monk of 25 Seasons. Silent Fist Clan.

Ranban

May 24, 2001, 5:41:13 PM5/24/01

"silent scream" <darwe...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
As far archery goes, I was negligent in my training of it as a ranger and
let it go till I was lvl 22,
and found no real problem in raising it to max by lvl 28. (Take up
fletching - you'll burn through the arrows)

Ladyfae

May 24, 2001, 6:21:06 PM5/24/01

Just a tip, if you happen to need bandages just to practice bind wound see
if you can find a mage to summon some for you. Yes they will disappear
within 30 mins. of your camping, but giving a donation to a mage around your
level for a skill they need to practice anyway is nice (some may do it for
free, but it is always nice to be prepared to offer a donation.) Besides
you are helping another class work their skills and you get to work yours,
and save a bit of money to boot. You can save the bandages you have
purchased from a merchant (since they don't go poof!) for when you need them
for after a fight.

Ladyfae

Dan Day

May 24, 2001, 10:55:09 PM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 22:21:06 GMT, "Ladyfae" <lad...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>Just a tip, if you happen to need bandages just to practice bind wound see
>if you can find a mage to summon some for you. Yes they will disappear
>within 30 mins. of your camping, but giving a donation to a mage around your
>level for a skill they need to practice anyway is nice (some may do it for
>free, but it is always nice to be prepared to offer a donation.) Besides
>you are helping another class work their skills and you get to work yours,
>and save a bit of money to boot. You can save the bandages you have
>purchased from a merchant (since they don't go poof!) for when you need them
>for after a fight.

And you don't have to wait until you get beat up in a battle
to practice it. Find a steeply sloped zone wall and climb to the
top, then run down it, bouncing and taking damage. Repeat
until you're about 20-25% health, Bind Wound to 50%, then start
all over.

That's my Varjay!

May 25, 2001, 12:53:40 AM5/25/01

Dan Day <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message

> And you don't have to wait until you get beat up in a battle
> to practice it. Find a steeply sloped zone wall and climb to the
> top, then run down it, bouncing and taking damage. Repeat
> until you're about 20-25% health, Bind Wound to 50%, then start
> all over.

You have to be below 50% health to practice?

Like you couldn't be full health and get skill raises?

Just wondering....

Vj

Barry

May 25, 2001, 5:33:31 AM5/25/01
"That's my Varjay!" <alittlehut@thegatesofforever> wrote in message

You can only bind wounds to 50% of your total health, so you have to beat
yourself up to practice

jaZZmanian Devil

May 25, 2001, 7:17:39 AM5/25/01
Dan Day wrote:

> And you don't have to wait until you get beat up in a battle
> to practice it. Find a steeply sloped zone wall and climb to the
> top, then run down it, bouncing and taking damage. Repeat
> until you're about 20-25% health, Bind Wound to 50%, then start
> all over.

That would certainly work, but oddly I've never found any shortage of
npc "volunteers" in Norrath to beat me up quite nicely. Yes, my bind
wounds is nearly maxed. =)

Bob Beach

May 25, 2001, 8:14:58 AM5/25/01
LOL! Good point.. Just find someone to duel (make sure they know that you
don't want to die.. just take dmg.).. that's funny.. reminds me of that
movie where some guy paid for another to beat him up to implicate another
for assault.. forget the title..

*===excuse me great warrior... would you mind pummeling me for a while?
rotflmao!!!===*

"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

no one

May 25, 2001, 8:55:10 AM5/25/01
One of the Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) movies. Not sure which, the bad guy
pays another to beat the crap out of him and then claims the cop Harry did
it.

"Bob Beach" <bobb...@technolust.cx> wrote in message

no one

May 25, 2001, 8:56:11 AM5/25/01
To train Archery, just sit near a group pulling reds and fire off arrows,
hardly any damge so no chance of KS but ask the leader of the group first.

Bob Beach

May 25, 2001, 9:06:51 AM5/25/01
Thank you for the correction.. I did not know that about monks.

So when you increase your proficiency in bind wound does that mean that
you're going to heal for more hp or just have better success at your
attempt?

"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

Gregory Gadow

May 25, 2001, 9:11:57 AM5/25/01
Ladyfae wrote:

> Just a tip, if you happen to need bandages just to practice bind wound see
> if you can find a mage to summon some for you. Yes they will disappear
> within 30 mins. of your camping, but giving a donation to a mage around your
> level for a skill they need to practice anyway is nice (some may do it for
> free, but it is always nice to be prepared to offer a donation.) Besides
> you are helping another class work their skills and you get to work yours,
> and save a bit of money to boot. You can save the bandages you have
> purchased from a merchant (since they don't go poof!) for when you need them
> for after a fight.

My human monk Witte was practicing his safe fall and bind wounds in Qeynos last
night. He ended up buying two stacks of summoned bandages and using them all
within about an hour (climb to the rampart over the gate and run off. Repeat
until less than a bubble of health. Bind. Mend, if it is available. Repeat. At
level 9, Bind is at 50 and Fall at 19.) I pay 1pp per stack which is less than
HALF what I would pay at the Clan House (with the merchant looking upon me
kindly, I am paying a bit more than 5sp each) and honestly: what level mage is
going to turn down a few very easy plat? Especially if you are practicing and
using them up almost immediately, summoned bandages are the way to go.

--
Gregory Gadow
Email: tech...@serv.net

"All truth comes in three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Dream King

May 25, 2001, 10:09:28 AM5/25/01
jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>Bob Beach wrote:
>
>> Please note that at this time in your young life you can only bandage to 50%
>> of your health. Later on in life you will be able to bandage yourself up to
>> 75% but I'm not sure when that happens. It sure comes in handy when you've
>> got 10 hp and no healers.
>
>Yes, bandaging is a very important skill that you can raise up at any
>time, and bandages are common stock at many merchants. Please note that
>Bob's comments about the 75% cap only apply to monks, and then only
>after level 50 or 51 (not sure which) when you can raise the skill
>beyond 201.

51 I'm pretty sure. It is 70% and not 75%.

Mark A. Rimer

May 25, 2001, 10:11:34 AM5/25/01

> Yes, bandaging is a very important skill that you can raise up at any

> time, and bandages are common stock at many merchants. Please note that
> Bob's comments about the 75% cap only apply to monks, and then only
> after level 50 or 51 (not sure which) when you can raise the skill
> beyond 201.

Nope...warriors and rogues, too...and skill can get to 200 by level
39 or so, but can't exceed that until 51 (which is when 75% kicks in,
too).

Gregory Gadow

May 25, 2001, 10:13:43 AM5/25/01
Bob Beach wrote:

> Thank you for the correction.. I did not know that about monks.
>
> So when you increase your proficiency in bind wound does that mean that
> you're going to heal for more hp or just have better success at your
> attempt?

I believe that bind wounds will ALWAYS succeed. Your level determines the max
number of points you will bind and the formula is

Round(level/4) + 1

At skills 1 and 2, you heal 1hp, skills 3-6 you heal 2hp, 7-10 gets 3hp, etc.
You can bind PAST 50% if your target is below 50% HP when the bind *completes*;
that is why a person with, say a bind skill of 130 can complete heal a level 1
with a single bandage.

And a polite word to kind hearted clerics: If you see someone with less than
half their health bar kneeling for no apparent reason, they are probably
practicing their bind wounds so PLEASE don't heal them without first asking! We
loose a bandage when we START binding, so if you heal us past 50%, we loose the
expensive bandage and get no skill increase. (Grumble about loosing half a stack
last night because people kept healing me while I was practicing.) Your help IS
much appreciated, I only ask that you ask first if we are not in combat. Thank
you.

Dream King

May 25, 2001, 11:17:22 AM5/25/01
Gregory Gadow <tech...@serv.net> wrote:

>Bob Beach wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the correction.. I did not know that about monks.
>>
>> So when you increase your proficiency in bind wound does that mean that
>> you're going to heal for more hp or just have better success at your
>> attempt?
>
>I believe that bind wounds will ALWAYS succeed. Your level determines the max
>number of points you will bind and the formula is
>
>Round(level/4) + 1

This goes out the window at 201+ by the way. It's hard to tell due to
regen but I bind around 85 per bandage.

BV

May 25, 2001, 12:04:43 PM5/25/01
Feeling lucky punk, well do ya?

"no one" <fi...@carp.net> wrote in message

Dan Day

May 25, 2001, 2:28:51 PM5/25/01
On 24 May 2001 22:53:40 -0600, "That's my Varjay!" <alittlehut@thegatesofforever>
wrote:

>> And you don't have to wait until you get beat up in a battle
>> to practice it. Find a steeply sloped zone wall and climb to the
>> top, then run down it, bouncing and taking damage. Repeat
>> until you're about 20-25% health, Bind Wound to 50%, then start
>> all over.
>
>You have to be below 50% health to practice?
>
>Like you couldn't be full health and get skill raises?

I'm pretty sure you can't get skill raises on Bind Wound if
you can't actually patch yourself up (which you can't do over
50% unless you're high level).

Dan Day

May 25, 2001, 2:29:22 PM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:55:10 +0100, "no one" <fi...@carp.net> wrote:

>One of the Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) movies. Not sure which, the bad guy
>pays another to beat the crap out of him and then claims the cop Harry did
>it.

That was in the original, "Dirty Harry".

Dan Day

May 25, 2001, 2:30:04 PM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 06:11:57 -0700, Gregory Gadow <tech...@serv.net> wrote:
>My human monk Witte was practicing his safe fall and bind wounds in Qeynos last
>night. He ended up buying two stacks of summoned bandages and using them all
>within about an hour (climb to the rampart over the gate and run off. Repeat
>until less than a bubble of health. Bind. Mend, if it is available. Repeat. At
>level 9, Bind is at 50 and Fall at 19.) I pay 1pp per stack which is less than
>HALF what I would pay at the Clan House (with the merchant looking upon me
>kindly, I am paying a bit more than 5sp each) and honestly: what level mage is
>going to turn down a few very easy plat? Especially if you are practicing and
>using them up almost immediately, summoned bandages are the way to go.

...and if the Magician needs to practice his Conjuration, then you
both benefit. :-)

Dan Day

May 25, 2001, 2:32:48 PM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:56:11 +0100, "no one" <fi...@carp.net> wrote:

>To train Archery, just sit near a group pulling reds and fire off arrows,
>hardly any damge so no chance of KS but ask the leader of the group first.

Hehe -- I did that in Rathe Mountains. One time a druid kited a
Hill Giant by, and I flung one arrow at it as it passed near.

I got a "<myplayername> has slain a Hill Giant!" message, and it
fell over in that "timmmbeerrrr!!" dramatic way that Hill Giants
have of dying. LOL. It felt like David and Goliath.

Apparently the druid had the HG down to its last legs when
I happened to shoot my arrow at it. My group all went, "my
god, what kind of arrow WAS that??"

Gregory Gadow

May 25, 2001, 3:08:05 PM5/25/01
Dan Day wrote:

Yup. The first stack I bought, I plopped down 8gp and was reaching for 20 silver
when the mage clicked trade. She figured that, having gotten TWO skill increases
(she was only 5th level), I deserved a discount. I paid the 20 silver anyway,
harumphing about people who take advantage of my generosity by improving their
skills on my dime.

Dan Day

May 25, 2001, 3:41:41 PM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 12:08:05 -0700, Gregory Gadow <tech...@serv.net> wrote:
>Yup. The first stack I bought, I plopped down 8gp and was reaching for 20 silver
>when the mage clicked trade. She figured that, having gotten TWO skill increases
>(she was only 5th level), I deserved a discount. I paid the 20 silver anyway,
>harumphing about people who take advantage of my generosity by improving their
>skills on my dime.

ROFL.

One thing I do when fletching is sell arrows "at cost" if the
arrows that people are buying from me are of high enough skill
level that I can count them as practice.

Dan Day

May 25, 2001, 3:43:55 PM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 09:11:34 -0500, "Mark A. Rimer" <locu...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Nope...warriors and rogues, too...and skill can get to 200 by level
>39 or so, but can't exceed that until 51 (which is when 75% kicks in,
>too).

And despite rumors that only Warriors can exceed 200 Bind Wound
skill, my Paladin hit 202 the other day (at level 51).

John M Clancy

May 25, 2001, 4:12:50 PM5/25/01

"Dan Day" <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message

Nope you can't.
You have to be blow 50% health to get a skill increase.

cohalloran

May 25, 2001, 4:34:47 PM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 18:30:04 GMT, d...@firstnethou.com (Dan Day) wrote:

>On Fri, 25 May 2001 06:11:57 -0700, Gregory Gadow <tech...@serv.net> wrote:
>>My human monk Witte was practicing his safe fall and bind wounds in Qeynos last
>>night. He ended up buying two stacks of summoned bandages and using them all
>>within about an hour (climb to the rampart over the gate and run off. Repeat
>>until less than a bubble of health. Bind. Mend, if it is available. Repeat. At
>>level 9, Bind is at 50 and Fall at 19.) I pay 1pp per stack which is less than
>>HALF what I would pay at the Clan House (with the merchant looking upon me
>>kindly, I am paying a bit more than 5sp each) and honestly: what level mage is

Didn't catch the original message, but I think Gregory's math might be
a little off. 5sp per bandage, times 20 bandages per stack equals
100sp. 100sp equals 10gp. 10gp equals 1p. So unless the "bit more
than 5sp each" is another 5sp, he is not paying less than half when
buying from a mage as opposed to a vendor.

Gregory Gadow

May 25, 2001, 4:43:56 PM5/25/01
cohalloran wrote:

The two other merchants I checked (in Sneeds, just in from the newbie area) were
charging me more than 7sp and a few copper per bandage (ie, about 1.5 plat.) But you
are right, I should have said 2/3rds, not half. Still, buying bandages for plummeting
practice from a mage is less expensive than buying them from a merchant.

Kilmir

May 25, 2001, 9:42:33 PM5/25/01
For both arrows and bandages: Ask you friendly neighbourhood Mage :)

"Ranban" <wit...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> As far archery goes, I was negligent in my training of it as a ranger
and
> let it go till I was lvl 22,
> and found no real problem in raising it to max by lvl 28. (Take up
> fletching - you'll burn through the arrows)

bri...@encompasserve.org

May 25, 2001, 12:09:30 PM5/25/01
In article <3B0E6897...@serv.net>, Gregory Gadow <tech...@serv.net> writes:
> Bob Beach wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the correction.. I did not know that about monks.
>>
>> So when you increase your proficiency in bind wound does that mean that
>> you're going to heal for more hp or just have better success at your
>> attempt?
>
> I believe that bind wounds will ALWAYS succeed. Your level determines the max
> number of points you will bind and the formula is
>
> Round(level/4) + 1

In my experience it's Trunc(level/4). Yes, it always succeeds.

You get the one point boost at the 4's, (skill level 12, 16, 20, etc), not
at the 4's+2 (14, 18, 22, etc). I used to live for the exp levels within
which I could expect to gain 2 points of healing from enhanced bind
wounds skill. e.g. level 19 where skill goes from 95 to 100 (23 points
healed to 25 points healed).

I'm not sure about the behavior at the extreme low end of the
scale (skill level 0-10 or so). The Trunc(level/4) formula would
yield no healing at all from skill level 0-3. At those skill levels,
you're better off sitting down than bandaiding (except for the possibility
of gaining bind wounds skill).

It is not easy getting a good reading on the bandaid gain since
you have natural regen (at the standing rate) kicking in while the
bandaids are going on.

John Briggs

bri...@encompasserve.org

May 25, 2001, 9:54:21 AM5/25/01
In article <9elic8$pt0$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, "Bob Beach" <bobb...@technolust.cx> writes:
> LOL! Good point.. Just find someone to duel (make sure they know that you
> don't want to die.. just take dmg.).. that's funny.. reminds me of that
> movie where some guy paid for another to beat him up to implicate another
> for assault.. forget the title..

One such is "Dirty Harry".

Back on topic, Bind Wounds, for monks, won't go past 200 until level
51. When you get that 201'st point, you get the ability to bind for
75 points per application up to 70% hp.

Prior to that point, Bind Wounds heals skill/4 damage points. That's
50 points per bandage at 200 skill.

John Briggs

Ole Andersen

May 26, 2001, 2:14:58 PM5/26/01

"Gregory Gadow" <tech...@serv.net> wrote in message
: And a polite word to kind hearted clerics: If you see someone with less

than
: half their health bar kneeling for no apparent reason, they are probably
: practicing their bind wounds so PLEASE don't heal them without first
asking! We
: loose a bandage when we START binding, so if you heal us past 50%, we
loose the
: expensive bandage and get no skill increase. (Grumble about loosing half a
stack
: last night because people kept healing me while I was practicing.) Your
help IS
: much appreciated, I only ask that you ask first if we are not in combat.
Thank
: you.

A thing you can do to help this yourself is to make a hotbutton with:

/doability 3 (assuming you have Bind Wounds on the third ACTION button
in the right-hand panel)
/em tends to his wounds (or her, depending on gender)

--
Kalumbum, Gnomish Magician, Druzzil Ro

Ole Andersen
Brřndbyřster, Denmark

Remove almost half the address to reply to me.

Brandon Blackmoor

May 26, 2001, 10:48:25 PM5/26/01
"Ole Andersen" <palnatoke...@get2netget2net.dk> wrote in message

> /doability 3

> /em tends to his wounds (or her, depending on gender)

Oooh, good tip. I love seeing clever uses of emotes. :)

bblac...@blackgate.net

Paul L.

May 27, 2001, 4:18:33 AM5/27/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 16:54:24 -0400, jaZZmanian Devil
<js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>Bob Beach wrote:
>
>> Please note that at this time in your young life you can only bandage to 50%
>> of your health. Later on in life you will be able to bandage yourself up to
>> 75% but I'm not sure when that happens. It sure comes in handy when you've
>> got 10 hp and no healers.
>

>Yes, bandaging is a very important skill that you can raise up at any
>time, and bandages are common stock at many merchants. Please note that
>Bob's comments about the 75% cap only apply to monks, and then only
>after level 50 or 51 (not sure which) when you can raise the skill
>beyond 201.

It also applies to warriors, as I recall. I don't know about any
other classes.

Paul L.

Elliot Williams

May 28, 2001, 6:07:18 AM5/28/01

"silent scream" <darwe...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've made a mistake in not practicing bind wound at all so far and I
am now
> up to level 15. This is a skill I can raise anytime regardless of
cons of
> creatures I fight, right? And where can I pick up bandages? Have
to get to
> work!

I wouldn't worry too much. Warriors are always getting beat up, there
are plenty of chances to practice. I didn't start using bandages until
around level 25. I had bought a few bandages at low level, but at over
a half a gold each, they only healed a tiny bit of hps, so I thought
it was a useless skill. The time it took to apply a bandage you could
regen the same hps sitting. It wasn't until they increased the skill
max for melees to 200 that I started using them in earnest, in 10
levels of normal fighting I had gained over 100 skill. It's currently
177 at level 39, I heal just over 40 points per bandage.

> I also have not worked on archery one bit, is this necessary at
later

> levels? Any tips on bringing it up from Level 15 at (1)?

Archery is really not important for a warrior. It really depends on
your play style, but in general warriors will only use a bow to pull,
and whether you have a skill of 1 or 240 (warrior max), shooting a bow
at a mob in range will successfully pull it. The damage output of even
the best bows will not make a noticeable impact on a mobs hps, so a
high skill isn't something I'd recommend wasting arrows to develop.
Also, the zones where you can/do use a bow to pull seem to get less
frequent as you level up. Finally, warriors are not ideal pullers, any
time a better puller is in the group you won't need the bow. Some
warriors like to fire off a shot at an incoming mob, but I find the
longer delays for bows vs. melee weapons usually means the bow shot
costs you your first swing, unless it's a snared mob incoming.

Scott T. Jensen

May 29, 2001, 6:31:04 PM5/29/01
"Ole Andersen" wrote:

> A thing you can do to help this
> yourself is to make a hotbutton with:
>
> /doability 3 (assuming you have
> Bind Wounds on the third ACTION button
> in the right-hand panel)
> /em tends to his wounds (or her,
> depending on gender)

You might also like to toss in "/doability 1" at the top to up your Sense
Heading at the same time.

Scott Jensen
--
Like to help advance science?
Volunteer your computer for folding-protein research for when it's idle.

Tim Smith

May 30, 2001, 10:40:53 PM5/30/01
On Sat, 26 May 2001 03:42:33 +0200, Kilmir <nos...@kill.com> wrote:
>For both arrows and bandages: Ask you friendly neighbourhood Mage :)

For bandages, get that knife from Frozen Shadow that procs summon
bandages. It summons a number of bandages equal to half your level,
and procs often. I've watched a warrior equip it, whack a low green for
a few hits, and get a couple stacks of bandages.

--Tim Smith