New Test server changes- what you've all been waiting for

James M. O'Hara

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
The Test Server has now been converted to a PvP-teams server for testing
purposes. In addition, the following changes have been made.

PvP spell damage is 60 percent that of player vs NPC damage. (YAY!)

If a player is rooted by another player, then hit by a spell from
another player, the root effect is removed. (YAY AGAIN! Helps vs. naked
mage syndrome)

Experience is no longer lost when dying to a DoT spell only on the Pvp
and PvP-teams server.

It is no longer possible to loot from a player's weapon or ammo slots.

If an NPC is pursuing you while under the effect of a DoT it will only
take half damage. ( as opposed to taking no damage)

--
Tylfon
Wood Elf Rogue on Povar

Thierry Brunet

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
"James M. O'Hara" wrote:

> The Test Server has now been converted to a PvP-teams server for testing
> purposes. In addition, the following changes have been made.

[snip pvp stuff i dont care about]

> If an NPC is pursuing you while under the effect of a DoT it will only
> take half damage. ( as opposed to taking no damage)

More resonable, but still not quite there yet. I haven't been able to
find the numbers for Necro DoT spells, but for Druids, this lowers the
mana/damage ratio below 1:1. Stinging Swarm is 120dmg for 65 mana.
Half the damage and we have 60dmg/65mana. Not too hot. Creeping Crud,
180dmg becomes 90dmg for 110mana. This basically makes DoTs less mana
effective than DD. Weren't DoTs designed to be better than DD because
the fact that they dont do damage in one shot in the first place? I
like the idea of reducing the damage, and half it better than no damage,
but its still too much. Gimme 3/4ths of damage, or at the lowest,
2/3rds, but unless my spells give me more than 1:1 damage/mana ratio,
you're still basically rending the spells useless. Heck, ignite gives
me 37dmg for 30 mana.

At 2/3rds or 3/4ths the damage one could DoT, grasping roots, run away,
sit and meditate, repeat. This almost forces suicide kiting, which if
anyone has tried, it very dangerous. I did it once when i tried to kite
a Griffawn with only 3 bubbles of mana. I tell you, when you're medding
and a fawn smacks you upside the head, it hurts. =) it hurts more when
they picked up a Griffon along the way too...
--
Thierry Brunet

Adar

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99

James M. O'Hara <james...@home.com> wrote in message

> The Test Server has now been converted to a PvP-teams server for testing
> purposes. In addition, the following changes have been made.
>
> PvP spell damage is 60 percent that of player vs NPC damage. (YAY!)
>
> If a player is rooted by another player, then hit by a spell from
> another player, the root effect is removed. (YAY AGAIN! Helps vs. naked
> mage syndrome)
>
>(snipped from lower) It is no longer possible to loot from a player's
weapon or ammo slots.

Hmm...well, this will help with the naked wizards. Unfortunately, now,
they'll all be naked druids and shamen (shaman? shamans? bleah) instead-
running around without any armor on, but still being able to kill the weak
and SoW away from everyone else just fine. (Well, that and enchanters, who
never really needed to cast a damage spell on anyone after level 12.) Still,
anything to lessen the flood of naked wizards is a good thing.

> Experience is no longer lost when dying to a DoT spell only on the Pvp
> and PvP-teams server.

About time.

> If an NPC is pursuing you while under the effect of a DoT it will only
> take half damage. ( as opposed to taking no damage)

I hope there's an NPC 'pursuit' mode (as opposed to attack mode.) If not,
since the mob will be constantly moving, not to mention the warps and AI
path problems, you'll always be doing half. Plus, the kiters still won't be
happy, since no class actually has enough mana to burn on anything over a
medium blue while doing half damage.

It'll be interesting to see how well this works, though.

Brudo (E'ci)
Adar (Tallon Zek)